Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
It seems Ducks fans have landed a bit closer to the earth soil regarding Fowler. I mean, I remember some Ducks fans coming here telling that Fowler is absolutely not going to be moved and it would require Eichel or Reinhart AND Risto and so on. :laugh:

Ducks actual salary spendings are HUGE for the upcoming season. Perry earns 10 millions and Getzlaf way above 9 millions. Ryan Kesler earns almost 8 millions and so on. Sure, there are some contracts that are less in actual salary than cap hit, but the amount is not comparable to the opposite.

Best scenario for us is that they end up re-signing Vatanen. It would leave Lindholm or Fowler the prime trade candidates. Or they might trade both (Fowler and Vatanen) if they want a bigger shake up and are hopeful with their younger d-men (Manson, Montour and Theodore).

If you gather a package of some of the following pieces, you should get at least Fowler: 8th overall, 2017 1st, Pysyk, Ennis, Gorges (retention), Franson (retention) + all the picks from 2nd round to 3rd round from 2016 and 2017. I think Gorges (retention) could be a fitting piece going back. He would be cheap, yet an okay replacement for the left side. With a puck moving partner he can be a good top-4 defensive guy. I think Anaheim would like to not weaken the roster too much if and when they end up trading one of them.

They most likely aren't able to keep Pirri (thanks to his arbitration leverage), McGinn or Perron. So they most likely will need cheap forward options as well. Fowler <-> Gorges + Ennis wouldn't weaken their roster that much, and they would also get some futures back as well.

And with the leftovers you get Brodin... :D

But seriously, I think there were some ground works done regarding a bigger trade between Murrays when they made the McGinn trade. And Murray also has good relations with Fletcher. And they both are in the opposite conference (I don't think GMs want to trade young, quality pieces for lesser pieces within a conference or especially within a division).

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Just noticed that Columbus might be in a really bad situation regarding the expansion draft.

They have NMCs with Dubinsky, Foligno, Hartnell, Clarkson and Tyutin. Then there are players like Saad, Wennberg, Atkinson, Jenner, Calvert, Murray, Jones, Johnson and Savard needing protection.

I'm not that surprised if Tyutin gets bought out. I know he has been mentioned as an option to the LHD situation. I'm not that sold on him being a good option, but the chances are, he's going to enter UFA markets by a buy out.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Any possibility they use Franson in the package to shift defensemen around? Clear him out, sell someone on the PP generation aspect?

You'd think that would be possible. But last year Franson nearly went unsigned and the season he had didn't really do him any favors. Add in another year of age and I'd wager he'll get peanuts for him.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
You'd think that would be possible. But last year Franson nearly went unsigned and the season he had didn't really do him any favors. Add in another year of age and I'd wager he'll get peanuts for him.

There were multiple teams willing to give him one year deal (reportedly). His actual salary from his second year is 2,65 millions.

He is not likely going to bring alone anything worthy, but I think he would have value in a deal where the opposing team doesn't want to weaken their roster too much. If used properly, he can be a useful top-6 d-man - more than just a warm body.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Any possibility they use Franson in the package to shift defensemen around? Clear him out, sell someone on the PP generation aspect?

Franson probably is a piece moved if we take on salary. With Risto and Bogo taking the RH PP minutes....Franson is pretty useless to us at this point.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think it is more likely he is bought out

Completely disagree. He's a depth defenseman who has a track record of doing something well (PP generation) while not being good at a lot of other things. RHD third pairing guy? No. Including him as an extra bit, shuffling him out? Sure. Or retaining him and continuing to clutter up their ill-designed defense? Also an option. But buying him out is daft.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Completely disagree. He's a depth defenseman who has a track record of doing something well (PP generation) while not being good at a lot of other things. RHD third pairing guy? No. Including him as an extra bit, shuffling him out? Sure. Or retaining him and continuing to clutter up their ill-designed defense? Also an option. But buying him out is daft.

Especially with only one year left on his deal.

Worst case, keep him around and maybe trade him at the deadline if they aren't in the playoff mix.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Mark Pysyk for Griffin Reinhart. I have a hunch we trade a RD to Edmonton for a LD.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Especially with only one year left on his deal.

Worst case, keep him around and maybe trade him at the deadline if they aren't in the playoff mix.

Yep, he's something like a 3rd at the deadline if they go that route -- dealing him if out of the playoff race. My thought is more that they have a logjam on RD and he could be someone who others seek out as an inexpensive addition. There was scuttlebutt in-season that he may have been available, I suspect teams will still consider him an option, this past season aside. The concern for others would be how bad was his concussionUBIjawconcussion and is he over it?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think it is more likely he is bought out

I don't think there's a chance in hell that happens - in fact, I know it won't happen because Murray has already said he doesn't intend to buy out any players this summer. (I don't think they could even if they wanted to given his concussion, but, regardless, it wasn't going to happen.) Weber-Franson performed competently as a third pairing. My guess is that Murray intends on moving Pysyk in a deal for a LHD, with the thought that Franson will be the RHD3 - with Nelson (or a vet UFA 7D) waiting in the wings.

I understand every fanbase wants a top pairing and two #2 pairings, but that's not going to happen. Hell, Chicago won a Cup while utterly refusing to play its 3rd pairing in anything resembling a remotely important game situation. McCabe-Franson is an adequate 3rd pairing.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Sorry, but that's nonsense.
You could say the same thing about trading 1st round picks.

I have no problem giving up assets in exchange for assets. I just disagree that Brodin is worth a 1st round pick (possible lottery pick) plus 2 legit prospects this early in a rebuild process.

The bolded is down to your opinion of Brodin & while I think you're under rating him I can't argue with that.

But the rest - I stand fully by my point You don't fill the types of holes we have with UFA filler. If we're trading for a longterm partner for Ristolainen that player automatically becomes a 'core piece'. You don't get 'core pieces' via UFA. In fact I'd go as far to say most big UFA signings usually end up looking bad within a season or two. I come away from July 1st thinking most guys got signed for too much, too long. In the case of some players, 1 year is too long.

As for trading first round picks... I have no problem doing this if you're trading for known commodities who are still young enough to have a big role on the team for years to come. Brodin falls into this category 100 percent - so does Fowler to an extent (if you can resign him). Picks can still bust despite the advancements in scouting & are often a number of years away from contributing even if they do pan out.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The bolded is down to your opinion of Brodin & while I think you're under rating him I can't argue with that.

But the rest - I stand fully by my point You don't fill the types of holes we have with UFA filler. If we're trading for a longterm partner for Ristolainen that player automatically becomes a 'core piece'. You don't get 'core pieces' via UFA. In fact I'd go as far to say most big UFA signings usually end up looking bad within a season or two. I come away from July 1st thinking most guys got signed for too much, too long. In the case of some players, 1 year is too long.

As for trading first round picks... I have no problem doing this if you're trading for known commodities who are still young enough to have a big role on the team for years to come. Brodin falls into this category 100 percent - so does Fowler to an extent (if you can resign him). Picks can still bust despite the advancements in scouting & are often a number of years away from contributing even if they do pan out.
I support the views expressed in the 2nd & 3rd paragraphs, with the caveat / addition that I think the LHD needs are a both/and, not an either/or. i.e., acquire one, and draft one with #8OA (or swapping #8OA for a pick nearby to take a LHD). If a Rd1 pick is traded for a LHD, I prefer it be next years BUF Rd1, unless there is somehow another top-4 LHD coming into the fold. I don't see how that is known at draft time without a second trade transpiring.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I support the views expressed in the 2nd & 3rd paragraphs, with the caveat / addition that I think the LHD needs are a both/and, not an either/or. i.e., acquire one, and draft one with #8OA (or swapping #8OA for a pick nearby to take a LHD). If a Rd1 pick is traded for a LHD, I prefer it be next years BUF Rd1, unless there is somehow another top-4 LHD coming into the fold. I don't see how that is known at draft time without a second trade transpiring.

I agree that they need two high profile LHD additions this summer.

That could be one via trade & one in the first round of the draft - or it could be two via trade. Of course UFA is an option for at least one of these moves but with what's available I'd prefer not to.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I agree that they need two high profile LHD additions this summer.

That could be one via trade & one in the first round of the draft - or it could be two via trade. Of course UFA is an option for at least one of these moves but with what's available I'd prefer not to.

It's been pretty generally accepted that none of the 2016 defensive class will be stepping onto NHL ice in 16-17. They all need another year of development at least.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It seems Ducks fans have landed a bit closer to the earth soil regarding Fowler. I mean, I remember some Ducks fans coming here telling that Fowler is absolutely not going to be moved and it would require Eichel or Reinhart AND Risto and so on. :laugh:

Ducks actual salary spendings are HUGE for the upcoming season. Perry earns 10 millions and Getzlaf way above 9 millions. Ryan Kesler earns almost 8 millions and so on. Sure, there are some contracts that are less in actual salary than cap hit, but the amount is not comparable to the opposite.

Best scenario for us is that they end up re-signing Vatanen. It would leave Lindholm or Fowler the prime trade candidates. Or they might trade both (Fowler and Vatanen) if they want a bigger shake up and are hopeful with their younger d-men (Manson, Montour and Theodore).

If you gather a package of some of the following pieces, you should get at least Fowler: 8th overall, 2017 1st, Pysyk, Ennis, Gorges (retention), Franson (retention) + all the picks from 2nd round to 3rd round from 2016 and 2017. I think Gorges (retention) could be a fitting piece going back. He would be cheap, yet an okay replacement for the left side. With a puck moving partner he can be a good top-4 defensive guy. I think Anaheim would like to not weaken the roster too much if and when they end up trading one of them.

They most likely aren't able to keep Pirri (thanks to his arbitration leverage), McGinn or Perron. So they most likely will need cheap forward options as well. Fowler <-> Gorges + Ennis wouldn't weaken their roster that much, and they would also get some futures back as well.

And with the leftovers you get Brodin... :D

But seriously, I think there were some ground works done regarding a bigger trade between Murrays when they made the McGinn trade. And Murray also has good relations with Fletcher. And they both are in the opposite conference (I don't think GMs want to trade young, quality pieces for lesser pieces within a conference or especially within a division).

Thankfully, Murray deals with Anaheim's GM and not fans.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I"d give a random 3rd for Griffin Reinhart, but that's about it. It would be more or less a prayer that Sam can inspire better play out of his brother. G could be in the AHL but that's not too far :)

I'd give Anaheim Ennis, Franson(50%) and our 2nd this year and next for Fowler.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I"d give a random 3rd for Griffin Reinhart, but that's about it. It would be more or less a prayer that Sam can inspire better play out of his brother. G could be in the AHL but that's not too far :)

I'd give Anaheim Ennis, Franson(50%) and our 2nd this year and next for Fowler.

We all would...but that's not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad