Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I know that not many share this view, but I feel Cagguila would mimic org depth already covered by Rodriquez.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I'd really prefer they wait until 8/16 when he's actually a free agent and avoid possible tampering charges.

Murray will write a letter to Jack and Jack can read it to Jimmy mimicking Murray. :laugh:

Not sure about our chances on Vesey. If we make a top-6 forward addition, does it have any affect? Considering that the team where he signs has his rights for the next 4 years, it shouldn't matter that much...

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
If Vesey is who we think he is, I'd have no problem sending Nash our Second this year or all 35 thirds that we have this year for his rights. Those picks are low percentage lotto tix.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If Vesey is who we think he is, I'd have no problem sending Nash our Second this year or all 35 thirds that we have this year for his rights. Those picks are low percentage lotto tix.

A second or even a third has more value than just getting rights.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA

Probably not worth it. Every team can offer him the same contract, so it'll come down to fit/playing time. If he's waited this long, no harm in hearing what everybody has to say.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I didn't say they should stop trying to improve. Just asking if it should be considered a huge loss if neither sign for the Sabres.
If neither signed here it's not a huge loss. Would one (or both) be nice? Absolutely, but I would much rather have won the lottery, for instance. I'm more familiar with Vesey than Caggiula, and if you were picking between the two, you go Vesey all the way IMO. So even if you're thinking in terms of huge loss potential, Vesey is still technically a possibility, so it's not a huge loss yet.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I didn't say they should stop trying to improve. Just asking if it should be considered a huge loss if neither sign for the Sabres.

I take all of these as a loss. :laugh: I like what the Sabres have on the wing for depth, but I don't love what they have on the wing. Getting free, mostly fully developed assets for nothing but contract space on an ELC improves their depth and allows them some flexibility in trade or competition on the roster.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

it's like adding a 1st rounder from the 2012 draft... it's a bummer to miss out on that talent when we were inititally on top of it (camp invite)

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I take all of these as a loss. :laugh: I like what the Sabres have on the wing for depth, but I don't love what they have on the wing. Getting free, mostly fully developed assets for nothing but contract space on an ELC improves their depth and allows them some flexibility in trade or competition on the roster.
All true, but it'll also be a loss for 28 other teams as well. Great to land one for the reasons stated, sure, but no need to lose any sleep over these two if they don't sign here, which is what I think the poster was getting at (I could be wrong). The only one who should be crying "huge loss" under the circumstances is Nashville.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Murray will write a letter to Jack and Jack can read it to Jimmy mimicking Murray. :laugh:

Not sure about our chances on Vesey. If we make a top-6 forward addition, does it have any affect? Considering that the team where he signs has his rights for the next 4 years, it shouldn't matter that much...

Murrays letter: "Sign here"

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
it's like adding a 1st rounder from the 2012 draft... it's a bummer to miss out on that talent when we were inititally on top of it (camp invite)

All true, but it'll also be a loss for 28 other teams as well. Great to land one for the reasons stated, sure, but no need to lose any sleep over these two if they don't sign here, which is what I think the poster was getting at (I could be wrong). The only one who should be crying "huge loss" under the circumstances is Nashville.

Well, with Drake, as Jame points out, Buffalo gave him his first pro camp and was clearly interested over the last couple of years. Vesey will go where Vesey goes -- if that's Buffalo I will be both pleased and surprised. But Caggiula is a level of both attachment and attainability that stings a little bit. This isn't someone with no ties to the team at all and yet he's still taking the opportunity to head to apparently head to Edmonton.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Nelson got his first pro camp from Philly and he didn't go there so it's not like it's unheard of. And Phily had a stronger tie to Caggiula than Buffalo did to boot. Poor Philly.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I'd really prefer they wait until 8/16 when he's actually a free agent and avoid possible tampering charges.

we could offer Nashville a token pick like a 6th or 7th to get his remaining rights time to negotiate with him first.

We have plenty of picks. And most likely GMTM would just throw a dart at a picture of a bunch of draft eligible Scandinavian goalies with the late pick.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Buffalo gave him his first pro camp and was clearly interested over the last couple of years. Caggiula is a level of both attachment and attainability that stings a little bit.
Yes, I'm aware, but that's too much of a reach for me to cause any heartburn.
...and yet he's still taking the opportunity to head to apparently head to Edmonton.
Which is clearly the point at which we start to question his ability to make rational, reasoned decisions. Bullet dodged?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I want our D pipeline to look like the Flyer's some day. I just want Ivan Provorov on the Sabres so bad lol.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I want our D pipeline to look like the Flyer's some day. I just want Ivan Provorov on the Sabres so bad lol.

It's only been what, three years?, since it was similar. Ehrhoff, Sekera, Myers, Pysyk, Weber on the team with Ristolainen, Zadorov, and McCabe in the pipeline.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nelson got his first pro camp from Philly and he didn't go there so it's not like it's unheard of. And Phily had a stronger tie to Caggiula than Buffalo did to boot.

He was first invited to the Sabres dev camp and couldn't make it that summer. They had at least extended the offer and kept the lines of communication open.

Poor Philly.
The digs are again unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad