Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That wasn't a dig. That was an acknowledgment that another team was arguably closer to two of the recent bigger college ufa signings and missed both. Its good context in a conversation about this team getting one out of 2

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
Is it wrong to say Vesey is the bigger prize of the two? Or are they fairly equal?

Vesey is the bigger prize and he is headed to Toronto. It is so obvious people around here need to mentally prepare for it now.

He could have made more money signing with Nashville and chose not to. You don't do that sort of thing without knowing exactly where you want to go. In this case, Toronto with his father it is.

It sucks, but we have to deal with it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That wasn't a dig. That was an acknowledgment that another team was arguably closer to two of the recent bigger college ufa signings and missed both. Its good context in a conversation about this team getting one out of 2

I'm glad they plucked Nelson.

If this is how they operate, Patrick Russell may be another guy in Murray's long-range professional plan, as a 2014 invitee and now 2-year player at St. Cloud who was third in scoring as a sophomore this year. Not sure about Pecararo with how his tenure there ended -- some flags there beyond just how small he is.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Vesey is the bigger prize and he is headed to Toronto. It is so obvious people around here need to mentally prepare for it now.

He could have made more money signing with Nashville and chose not to. You don't do that sort of thing without knowing exactly where you want to go. In this case, Toronto with his father it is.

It sucks, but we have to deal with it.

It's possible he signs in Toronto. Or Boston. They seem like the most likely candidates to land him. But there is no issue with Eichel putting out the word to his workout buddy that there is opportunity in Buffalo.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
For Drake to go to Edmonton they must have promised him a top 6 spot and most likely some time on 97's wing. I don't think Murray would guarantee him that and personally I wouldn't want him to. The kid is talented but I wouldn't want to lock him into be Eichel's winger without earning it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
For Drake to go to Edmonton they must have promised him a top 6 spot and most likely some time on 97's wing. I don't think Murray would guarantee him that and personally I wouldn't want him to. The kid is talented but I wouldn't want to lock him into be Eichel's winger without earning it.

Maybe. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon or brain scientist :laugh: to see changes coming in the Oiler top 6.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Caggiula signing in Edmonton - seemingly one of the only finalists that didn't have some logical connection - underscores the point that Vesey to Boston or Toronto (or Buffalo) is far from a guarantee. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him in any of Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit, NYR, etc. The competition will be stiff, and chances are that we don't get him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Caggiula signing in Edmonton - seemingly one of the only finalists that didn't have some logical connection - underscores the point that Vesey to Boston or Toronto (or Buffalo) is far from a guarantee. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him in any of Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit, NYR, etc. The competition will be stiff, and chances are that we don't get him.

With the Rangers cap situation and penchant for signing collegiate UFA's, he's the team I wonder about. If Nash is on the move to clear cap space, Vesey'd be a fine potential replacement.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Maybe. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon or brain scientist :laugh: to see changes coming in the Oiler top 6.

Yup. I think Drake is a good prospect, but I'm sure he's more than a Ennis-esque secondary scorer at the NHL level. But, Edmonton is going to look drastically different come fall.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Yeah, NEHJ just had a cover story on Vesey and his dad made that same point about why three teams were naturally speculated:
While the younger Vesey was making his comments up high, his father, Jim, was fueling speculation a few feet below in the orchestra, outlining a potential three-team race for his son’s services. “They say we’re from Boston, they say Buffalo because Jack Eichel’s represented by the same people, they say Toronto because I’m working for Toronto. So those are the three destinations.†Jim was then asked to comment about the Boston Herald report that said Jimmy was a lock to play for the Bruins, one of the two NHL teams with whom Jim had enjoyed an espresso. “I know Don Sweeney, I know Cam Neely, but I’d like to see him start his career somewhere else. There might be changes in Boston, might be a new coach, you don’t know.â€​

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Finished Friedman's latest. There was one interesting thing:

4. If Bryan Murray had remained Ottawa’s GM, there’s a belief he wanted brother Terry (now an assistant with the Buffalo Sabres) to be the bench boss. Don’t know, however, if Dorion feels similarly.

I hope Dorion doesn't feel similarly, because I think Terry has been a big reason why our system has improved so much.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Thanks guys.

All true, but it'll also be a loss for 28 other teams as well. Great to land one for the reasons stated, sure, but no need to lose any sleep over these two if they don't sign here, which is what I think the poster was getting at (I could be wrong). The only one who should be crying "huge loss" under the circumstances is Nashville.

Yes - this is what I was getting at & I'd agree with what you're saying.

Then again - I'm generally a 'glass half full' person. Be happy with what we already have because most if not all other teams should be envious (LHD situation excepted :laugh: ).

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hrmmmmm, all seems quiet on the Campbell front in Florida. Curious if he does hit the market how much it changes our plans?

Willing to go 3 years on a 35+ contract?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Hrmmmmm, all seems quiet on the Campbell front in Florida. Curious if he does hit the market how much it changes our plans?

Willing to go 3 years on a 35+ contract?

Why, as a 35yo, would he want to leave South Florida when the team he plays for has a decent Cup window a year or two ahead of, and at worst concurrent with BUF? I just don't get it; the potential salary differential shouldn't be a deciding factor.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
Why, as a 35yo, would he want to leave South Florida when the team he plays for has a decent Cup window a year or two ahead of, and at worst concurrent with BUF? I just don't get it; the potential salary differential shouldn't be a deciding factor.
Why would someone who suffers from Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) want to stay in Florida?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Losing out on Caguilla sucks. But maybe we land Vesey. Either way, we still have some holes to fill.

Here's my guess on next seasons roster.

Center
Eichel
ROR
Larsson
?

Left Wing
Kane
Foligno
?
?

Right Wing
Reinhart
Fasching
Bailey
Gionta

Defense
Risto
Gorges
McCabe
Pysyk
Nelson
?

I'll pass goalies for now.

So, 2 LW slots, are they filled by Girgs and Ennis?
1 D slot, what's our options there?
The way I see it, Rodriguez fills one of those LW positions and a trade is coming for a d man.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Losing out on Caguilla sucks. But maybe we land Vesey. Either way, we still have some holes to fill.

Here's my guess on next seasons roster.

Center
Eichel
ROR
Larsson
?

Left Wing
Kane
Foligno
?
?

Right Wing
Reinhart
Fasching
Bailey
Gionta

Defense
Risto
Gorges
McCabe
Pysyk
Nelson
?

I'll pass goalies for now.

So, 2 LW slots, are they filled by Girgs and Ennis?
1 D slot, what's our options there?
The way I see it, Rodriguez fills one of those LW positions and a trade is coming for a d man.

What about Bogo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad