Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 27798

I know young defensemen aren't traded that often, but are there trades in the last 10 or so years, that have been made with a dman comparable to Fowler. I'm not saying the Sabres can acquire him for spare parts, but the 8OA pick +, seems like a lot to give up.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I know young defensemen aren't traded that often, but are there trades in the last 10 or so years, that have been made with a dman comparable to Fowler. I'm not saying the Sabres can acquire him for spare parts, but the 8OA pick +, seems like a lot to give up.

You hope the 8th overall pick becomes Fowler one day, which is pretty unlikely. Our defense is pretty weak and inexperienced, moving the pick for a mobile LHD who has a lot of experience is ideal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Well, there was this year in terms of the sort of defensemen we're talking about -

Seth Jones for Ryan Johanson
Martin Marcinin (and waste of oxygen Brad Ross) for a 4th round pick
James Wisniewski for Anton Khudobin
Griffen Reinhart for a 1st and 2nd in 2015
Dougie Hamilton for a 1st and 2 2nds in 2015

That's some expensive return for most of these guys but not all that much productive play. *shrug*

Going back to the previous summer -

Gorges for a 2nd rounder
Johnny Boychuk for 2 2nds and a conditional 3rd
Leddy for a pile of crap
Brad Stuart for a 2nd and a 6th
Roman Polack for Carl Gunnarsson and a 4th

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I feel like him signing here would torpedo any chance at Vesey. On the other hand missing out on both is no fun. On the third hand getting neither may up the chances we draft a forward and pass on these uninspiring D people want because of need.

I'm rooting for the last one. College UFAs come and go every year. We won't pick this high again for a long time.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm a little baffled that college UFAs are getting this much attention. Can't wait to see who wins a couple extra tweeners!

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I like Caggiula fine and think he could find the space he needs to play his game here with the players we already have up front.

I just expect him to pick his coach in Philly or his teammates in Vancouver. And I don't blame him for those reasons.

Maybe Vesey ends up thinking similarly and chooses to play with his friend come August.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
UDFA are free money. It's like finding additional draft picks that have run the development curve and are now ready to be professional contributors, picks you didn't even know you took but now are yours once they sign.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I kinda see DC as the next coming of Gionta....maybe not quite the offensive ceiling.

He's got that "thing" that smaller players must have in order to be a good NHL player (other than skill, obviously). Most of it is fire, as a guy like Marchand exemplifies. But some of it is intangibles.

The way I could see him move up and down the lineup is impressive.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
UDFA are free money. It's like finding additional draft picks that have run the development curve and are now ready to be professional contributors, picks you didn't even know you took but now are yours once they sign.

Agreed. Getting either one of these guys is like getting an extra first round pick, but further along in development

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville

Who cares about Buffalo apparently...

:laugh:

if we're not out... we're still in
Davis-cleveland-as-flynn-in-shake-it-up-thinking-face.jpg

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
It's been pretty generally accepted that none of the 2016 defensive class will be stepping onto NHL ice in 16-17. They all need another year of development at least.

Which is why I'd prefer to trade the pick for someone who can help immediately. But that said - you still hope a top 10 pick will be an impact player a few years down the line. It's still a high profile addition.

My dream scenario for the summer would be to somehow turn any 'non core' assets we have into two quality LHD's. But I'd settle for one & using 8ov to select one of the LHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad