Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Just how much will the expansion draft if it comes to pass affect what TM does? I assume everyone is checking their lists and trying to figure out how to protect their future. And then there is the cap. I think TM will have lots of choices. If we go 7 F and 3 D I hope he sees the chance to trade for a LD worth protecting. It seems everyone agrees we need a couple LD, maybe another RD who can run a pp and of course a scoring winger. I think we all agree there will be nothing like that in our draft position who could play this year and likely next...so more pressure to trade....I am anxious for the draft, free agency and the rookie tournament whenever that is....

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If we had kept the 21st OA pick last year who do u think Murray would have taken? and who did you want?

A)Boeser
B)White
C)Konecny

Lehner better turn into a durable Top 10 goalie or that trade was a bad idea

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If we had kept the 21st OA pick last year who do u think Murray would have taken? and who did you want?

A)Boeser
B)White
C)Konecny

Ilya Samsonov or Jacob Larsson or Gabriel Carlsson. Lots of pre-draft talk about potentially taking a goaltender with that pick, and Samsonov was there. Alternatively, after the draft Murray talked about focusing on the organizational LHD void, so I think he may have looked at Larsson or Carlsson with that pick.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Hrmmmmm, all seems quiet on the Campbell front in Florida. Curious if he does hit the market how much it changes our plans?

Willing to go 3 years on a 35+ contract?

man i dont think you can risk him retiring on a contract as large as he would require, 2 years and maybe some extra bills

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Pick your poison:

1. Campbell on a 3 year, 16.5M deal
2. Gologoski on a 6 year, 36M deal
3. Yandle on a 7 year, 45.5M deal.
4. Trading Girgensons, 2016 2nd, 2017 1st for Fowler.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Pick your poison:

If those are my options easily take campbell. Perfect place holder for any guys we draft/guhle, lower cap hit, same skill level offensively as the other options, veteran presence needed after we shift gorges out (fingers crossed)

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Pick your poison:

Easy choice is 4 because I can do that and still do 1 of the other 3 which would be Campbell for me.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Pick your poison:

Fowler, then draft JC or OJ. Mission accomplished, 2 new top 4 D added to the team. Maybe go for 3 if Enstrom could be had for whats left.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Want to take explicit temperature around here. Eighteen months ago folks were starting threads about whether Girgensons was a future 1C in the mold of Bergeron. Now he seems to be thrown into trade proposals with increasing regularity, giving me the sense that his last season has seriously soured folks on his future. What do folks see for his prime years?

Personally, I see a guy who can play C on either of the lines 2-3 in a pinch, and is most valuable given our roster makeup as a 50 point, two-way winger with good work ethic and leadership ability. I think his value to the average team is a top ten pick in a good draft year.

Obviously, he didn't hit those marks last year. But ever since he's been in the organization, everyone has talked about how his work ethic is infectious and his ceiling is pretty high because of it. I do expect him to bounce back with a flourish, and I love having more guys like him shaping team culture.

Thoughts?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Want to take explicit temperature around here. Eighteen months ago folks were starting threads about whether Girgensons was a future 1C in the mold of Bergeron. Now he seems to be thrown into trade proposals with increasing regularity, giving me the sense that his last season has seriously soured folks on his future. What do folks see for his prime years?

Personally, I see a guy who can play C on either of the lines 2-3 in a pinch, and is most valuable given our roster makeup as a 50 point, two-way winger with good work ethic and leadership ability. I think his value to the average team is a top ten pick in a good draft year.

Obviously, he didn't hit those marks last year. But ever since he's been in the organization, everyone has talked about how his work ethic is infectious and his ceiling is pretty high because of it. I do expect him to bounce back with a flourish, and I love having more guys like him shaping team culture.

Thoughts?

You win with guys like these in the playoffs. Way too soon to be just throwing him into proposals...and obviously the 1C talk was overboard.

I'm keeping him for another 2 years at least.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Thoughts?

The guys you describe in the middle paragraph is what I see and I think Murray does to.

As for him in trade proposals, particularly for Fowler, that's a case of needing to give to get. That said I do agree that some have soured in him. I don't think Disco or Murray have but they want to see more from him. Murray said as much at locker clean out

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010

Thoughts?

I think O'Reilly makes it a different story. If it comes to getting a guy that can pair with Ristolainen, we can afford Girgensons. It's the price for a top-pair guy.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
You win with guys like these in the playoffs. Way too soon to be just throwing him into proposals...and obviously the 1C talk was overboard.

I'm keeping him for another 2 years at least.

I agree. If I'm getting a legit pairing guy for him and a plus I can deal with okay..am I throwing him in with our 1st and other high end picks etc to get Cam Folwer the answer is no all day for me.

To me he's invaluable in the sense I trust him in ANY forwards position in the 12. His intangibles are through the roof. If he ends up a 3rd liner I think he can touch 40 points on that line.

I am in no hurry to shuttle him off. I build around him at this point and deal picks for my needs...

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
1 and 4 could very well be done together. Ideal scenario

granted its light years ahead of what we have now but a top 4 of:

Risto-Fowler
Campbell-Bogo

screams who wants the puck on their stick more lol

This is where a trade for Brodin makes more sense to me...

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo

Thoughts?

I'm (more than a little) biased after shelling out for a Girgensons jersey a year ago. Back then he seemed like an immoveable part of our future core. With O'Reilly, Eichel, and Reinhart contributing for our team, I'm less sure that he's "core". Obviously, he's still a great piece to have for a contending team (hopefully us) but I really hope he's around for our contention window. I understand the argument - good players get high prices. We need someone who can play LHD next to Risto. I'm all for getting that guy. But I'd hate to see Girgensons getting sent the other way. But I know that's based more on sentiment than business cause I'd still have some mixed feelings about Girgensons leaving if even OEL was coming back in return. Fingers crossed that Murray is different from our HF posters - I can understand the move if it makes sense for the club but there's gonna be a difference between understanding trading Girgensons and liking it.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
granted its light years ahead of what we have now but a top 4 of:

Risto-Fowler
Campbell-Bogo

screams who wants the puck on their stick more lol

This is where a trade for Brodin makes more sense to me...

Campbell and brodin would be a drool worthy off season

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Girgensons, a mid round first and a good second for Cam Fowler? I do not watch a lot of west coast games but do the cognoscenti think he is that good? With all the studs they have in Anaheim they still go nowhere with him. Why is that? Not saying I do not want him--just do not have the uber confidence I would like to have to make that deal. I think Girgs is a top 6 F although he might not develop as more than top 9 with this club under present management. Mid first next year is touted to be more like last year than this year in quality. We would lose McCabe probably in any expansion draft or pay to have someone else taken so that would be part of the cost. Just torn--want a LD but I do not want to be hornswoggled by some quack!

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Girgensons, a mid round first and a good second for Cam Fowler? I do not watch a lot of west coast games but do the cognoscenti think he is that good? With all the studs they have in Anaheim they still go nowhere with him. Why is that? Not saying I do not want him--just do not have the uber confidence I would like to have to make that deal. I think Girgs is a top 6 F although he might not develop as more than top 9 with this club under present management. Mid first next year is touted to be more like last year than this year in quality. We would lose McCabe probably in any expansion draft or pay to have someone else taken so that would be part of the cost. Just torn--want a LD but I do not want to be hornswoggled by some quack!

Fowler is basically Myers. Great skater. Not physical. Average on both sides of ice (Eh Id say above average offensively actuall) and mentally fragile. He's decent but I don't think he's the answer...at least not for the packages being offered here.

I could live with #8 and small plus of like a 3rd but not adding Girgs.

Last edited:

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If those are my options easily take campbell. Perfect place holder for any guys we draft/guhle, lower cap hit, same skill level offensively as the other options, veteran presence needed after we shift gorges out (fingers crossed)

Agreed. I also would prefer to keep our swiss army knife in girgs. His lineup versatility is mad valuable

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Just how much will the expansion draft if it comes to pass affect what TM does? I assume everyone is checking their lists and trying to figure out how to protect their future. And then there is the cap. I think TM will have lots of choices. If we go 7 F and 3 D I hope he sees the chance to trade for a LD worth protecting. It seems everyone agrees we need a couple LD, maybe another RD who can run a pp and of course a scoring winger. I think we all agree there will be nothing like that in our draft position who could play this year and likely next...so more pressure to trade....I am anxious for the draft, free agency and the rookie tournament whenever that is....

I don't think there's any way they go 7 and 3. They have 4 d now I'd want to keep, and if GMTM acquires a legit top 4 LHD, they still have a minimum of 4 d to protect. The real question is, which 4 forwards do you protect? RoR, ZG, Larsson, Kane. Who else needs it? Left in protected, and under contract would be: Gionta, Ennis, Moulson, Deslauriers, Foligno. Much rather let 1 of those guys go than any of the D.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think there's any way they go 7 and 3. They have 4 d now I'd want to keep, and if GMTM acquires a legit top 4 LHD, they still have a minimum of 4 d to protect. The real question is, which 4 forwards do you protect? RoR, ZG, Larsson, Kane. Who else needs it? Left in protected, and under contract would be: Gionta, Ennis, Moulson, Deslauriers, Foligno. Much rather let 1 of those guys go than any of the D.

Larsson wouldn't be protected in that scenario

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Larsson wouldn't be protected in that scenario

He's a cost controllable / low cost asset playing a key role. I definitely think he would be protected. Who are you suggesting it would be in his place?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He's a cost controllable / low cost asset playing a key role. I definitely think he would be protected. Who are you suggesting it would be in his place?

Based on how I think Murray views the players I would say both Ennis and Foligno would be ahead of Larsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad