Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Am i totally insane for preferring to give up Girgensons to Fasching/Bailey?

Thats probably a bit of a "shiny new toy" syndrome. Girgensons is alot more proven than either Fasching or Bailey. Zemgus is 22. Fasching and Bailey will be both 21 this summer.

In fiddling with lines and stuff, I had assumed Zemgus was going to be a spare piece this summer.

Ryan Kesler, through 4 season:

238 GP, 38 G, 42 A, 80 pts

Zemgus Girgensons, through 3 seasons:

202 GP, 30 G 40 A 70 pts

Probably a bit more valuable asset than we are thinking

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
We've frequently operated under the assumption that Minnesota would want the #8 pick for Brodin, but what if old pal Fletcher wants a package to replenish their prospect/near-NHL ready player/draft pick cupboard? For several years, the Wild have sold draft picks - in most cases to the Sabres - for short-term help. I'm thinking something along the lines of the ROR trade.

Would you do some variation of this trade?

Pysyk
Bailey/Fasching [I think the Wild would prefer the Gopher, but I think he's one of Tim's guys - Tim did not draft Bailey.]
2016 2nd (38th overall)
MIN 2017 2nd

for

Brodin
Kuemper/Zucker [the "throw in" a la McGinn; get either a backup netminder if/when Chad goes to UFA, or the forward depth throw-in...a la McGinn]

PROS: If you also draft one of Chychrun/Juolevi, you've got Brodin (23) and the newly-drafted player (18), and you've pretty much addressed the long-term LHD problem over about a one-week period. You've used positions of depth (NHL RD and prospect RW) to address the need.

CONS: Giving up Pysyk and one of the higher-ceiling RWs. Also, selling two of your three 2nd rounders in 2016 and 2017 when the prospect cupboard is getting pretty thin.

I make this deal moments after getting Chychrun or Juolevi. I think you're right: GMTM traded for Fasching, so I think Bailey moves.

CONS: I've already written off the 2017 draft as fodder for expansion draft trades. I'd like to have two seconds and two thirds, plus at least two of Cornel, Baptiste, Carrier, or Martin playing well. I'd be prepared to send pick and prospects to Vegas and Quebec to select Moulson and some else not important.

So all-in-all, I make the trade after ensuring Chychrun or Juolevi are available at 8. I probably do it even if Sergachev is available.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
We've frequently operated under the assumption that Minnesota would want the #8 pick for Brodin, but what if old pal Fletcher wants a package to replenish their prospect/near-NHL ready player/draft pick cupboard? For several years, the Wild have sold draft picks - in most cases to the Sabres - for short-term help. I'm thinking something along the lines of the ROR trade.

Would you do some variation of this trade?

Pysyk
Bailey/Fasching [I think the Wild would prefer the Gopher, but I think he's one of Tim's guys - Tim did not draft Bailey.]
2016 2nd (38th overall)
MIN 2017 2nd

for

Brodin
Kuemper/Zucker [the "throw in" a la McGinn; get either a backup netminder if/when Chad goes to UFA, or the forward depth throw-in...a la McGinn]

PROS: If you also draft one of Chychrun/Juolevi, you've got Brodin (23) and the newly-drafted player (18), and you've pretty much addressed the long-term LHD problem over about a one-week period. You've used positions of depth (NHL RD and prospect RW) to address the need.

CONS: Giving up Pysyk and one of the higher-ceiling RWs. Also, selling two of your three 2nd rounders in 2016 and 2017 when the prospect cupboard is getting pretty thin.

I don't see Minnesota going for this personally. You would have thought they would covet the 8ov pick more in the the hope they could land an impact centre....? Maybe if they're particulary high of Fasching it works.... I'd certainly make it in a flash from the Sabres POV.

And this deal should not be exclusively accepted alongside of drafting D at eight. They should be targeting LHD at eight no matter what IMO & any deal TM can swing along the lines of your proposal should just be considered a bonus.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I might shift the offer, as the Wild are loaded on defense and don't really need Pysyk. Pick the defenseman of choice at 8.

2017 1st
2016 2nd
Bailey

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I might shift the offer, as the Wild are loaded on defense and don't really need Pysyk. Pick the defenseman of choice at 8.

2017 1st
2016 2nd
Bailey

Interesting - as my follow up to 8th for Brodin could be '17 1st + Fasching.

Just on the basis that I've seen a few Wild fans ask about Fasching on the trade forum - local connections etc. Understand he likely holds more value to Murray than Bailey does. Maybe the high 2nd makes up the difference... still not sure Minnesota bites though.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
The Wild want a young center with top six upside for Brodin. Idk if Girgs + fits the bill for them. But then, young top six centers are difficult to come by and I'm not sure if they'd get a better offer anywhere around the league. RNH maybe. But then the Oilers want RHD, so....

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Pysyk
2016 2nd (38th overall)
MIN 2017 2nd

for

Brodin
Kuemper/Zucker

Interesting - as my follow up to 8th for Brodin could be '17 1st + Fasching.

Just on the basis that I've seen a few Wild fans ask about Fasching on the trade forum - local connections etc. Understand he likely holds more value to Murray than Bailey does. Maybe the high 2nd makes up the difference... still not sure Minnesota bites though.

Fasching is close to untradeable along with Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, and ROR

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Fasching is close to untradeable along with Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, and ROR

Fasching is nowhere near as untradeable as those guys. Not close.

If he is what is required to fix your defense, fasching is available.

Brodin for 2 2nd round picks is a steal, ROI.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I still like 2017 first, 2016 second, and Bailey for Brodin. Bailey will be at two years service at the expansion draft and exempt. The picks re-stock the pipeline for the Wild, while moving a defenseman they can't protect.

As for centers for the Wild, the only one on the market is RNH, and I'd make the trade for Harmoic if I'm the Oilers. The Wild aren't so bad off at center anyway. Koivu, Grandlund, Coyle, and Huala all can or do play center. Eriksson Ek is in the pipeline. And they've got a shot at Rubtsov. They aren't that bad off.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Not giving that for Brodin.

They can take the 8th and like it or we can move on.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Brodie would be a perfect partner for Risto, don't get me wrong. I love his game.

But he's definitely not the "QB" GMTM wants

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Jonas Brodin is getting reaaaaaal overrated around here.

Agreed. I like him, but the most I'd do is something along the lines of girgensons and a flipping of 1sts.

I'd be far more inclined to overpay for fowler, or just try and pluck someone on the cheap and spend assets on a winger for the boys

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Jonas Brodin is getting reaaaaaal overrated around here.

I fall on this side of the discussion, as well.

I see him as an upgrade on Gorges as a long term 2nd pairing LHD.

But, I don't think he really fills the need of a top pairing guy to play with Risto.

The offers being thrown around for Brodin are more than I would want to give up for a guy that I expect to play on the 2nd pairing long term.

I agree with this.
To me, Fowler >> Brodin.

If I was in charge, I'd stay the course and work what I could on D via free agency rather than trade.

Fowler might be a better player today, but I could see how Brodin might have more trade value because he is younger and would be under Sabres cost control for a longer period of time.

And as far as going UFA, there isn't much there. Trades and the draft are the most likely options for upgrading on D.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I wouldn't, he'd be a great addition for this team, but some of the prices being thrown around for him are too much.

I don't think the prices around "here" are too much. On the trade board when the discussion becomes Reinhart, that's too much.

I, like Murray, have no issue with perceived overpayment in secondary or tertiary assets when addressing core team needs (see Oreilly trade).

If Brodin makes a great fit/pair with Risto... Than these deals are fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad