Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2018 Off-Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
We probably have nothing interesting to them at that value.

Adding Hunwick probably lowers the cost and lets us send a lesser pick.
You know what doesn't make much sense with Botterill so far, he's willing to take on multi-year contract dumps to aquire a player he wants but he's not willing to buyout bad contracts on the Sabres.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
His possesion stats are pretty bad from last year.

Either way, does this end the "Botterill literally doesn't do anything" talk?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Competent coaches have good players. No coach is going to be good when his D consists of the players we have had the last 4 years. You guys make it sound like coaching is rocket science and each team plays a dramatically different system, having enough talent and players buying in is how you win hockey games.

Gerard Gallant isn't some revolutionary coach, he's not a huge X and O's guy. He put a simple system in place, and his players bought in. That's more on the players then the coach.

Smart people are not complaining that Housley is doing the opposite of Bylsma.

They are annoyed that he went into an offseason, training camp and preseason with one plan, and somehow couldn’t predict that his “plan” couldn’t work until 5 games in. And then you have a variety of usage questions just like bylsma and a refusal to try different things when the season is lost.

I knew this would happen before we hired anyone, but just because some of us correctly identified Bylsma’s incompetence, does not mean that the next guy would be competent. Particularly if the next guy has almost no experience for the job he got.

Babcock is the easy go to for how a team low on talent can still be molded into a unit during their tank year. That team came in last place. I watched about 10 of their games throughout the year. They had a coherent plan that they actively tried to follow thru on all year. Their tank team played as a team far better than we did last year, during the team years and during the bylsma era.

But forget that and look at Arizona last year. Rick “The Gambler” took over a new team, that has been trash, bad culture, years of losing. And they struggled badly out the gate. And then he helped build a structure and a plan that the players understood and worked their way into by the second half.

Now maybe it’s just the players here. Maybe it’s O’Reilly’s attitude. But on pure talent Arizona was not better than the Sabres. And they looked a lot better in the last 40 games.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
You know what doesn't make much sense with Botterill so far, he's willing to take on multi-year contract dumps to aquire a player he wants but he's not willing to buyout bad contracts on the Sabres.

There is no reason to buy players out unless you're running out of cap space. You're better off just waiving them like we did with Moulson last year and getting rid of the contract and year earlier.

Adding Hunwick lowers the cost to acquire a goal scoring LW that we desperately need.

Why can't we just discuss the trade without turning everything into a jab at Botterill.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There is no reason to buy players out unless you're running out of cap space. You're better off just waiving them like we did with Moulson last year and getting rid of the contract and year earlier.

Adding Hunwick lowers the cost to acquire a goal scoring LW that we desperately need.

Why can't we just discuss the trade without turning everything into a jab at Botterill.

Who is this "goal scoring LW" that the Sabres got?

I see that they traded for a guy that only had two more goals than Pominville last season and has a career high of 23 goals.

Reactions: CacOBG

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

I see that they traded for a guy that only had two more goals than Pominville last season and has a career high of 23 goals.
If you take away Kane, I don't think all of our LW's combined from last season scored 23 goals.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY

I'm not saying he's the long term answer, but he's a hell of a lot better than what we have now. And he was cheap.

Should be a good complementary piece on Jack or Casey's wing for a couple years while we build up some home grown depth. And for at most a third round pick, I'm not complaining.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Yessss...I don't think you're doing your job as a GM if you aren't taking advantage of other GM's who get themselves into cap trouble

Reactions: jc17

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

You really love to reach.41-42-83 in 140 gp since 2016. A 82 game average of 48.6 points per season. Which makes him a high end LW2 low end Lw1. Btw look at the LW scoring over the last decade. Not too many options there. If RoR is a 1C then Sheary is a high end goal scoring LW2. I know we got him for cheap and you want to discredit Botts but you can't,not with a straight face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad