Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2018 Off-Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
People preach change and Housley comes in, inherits most of Murray's garbage and Botts is starting now to reshape this roster to play his style but because we do worse everyone jumps of the wagon because they have no patience. Players could barely pass on this team and Housley gets back to fundamentals, you know the development aspect that was neglected for so long. With players in our system, Housley gaining more experience, I'm sure he's learning and get better)
I hear that when Housley is not teaching NHL hockey players how to pass and skate, he's lecturing birds on how to fly.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
So, Murray's guys from 2014 should be in the league...because 3 other guys have played over 100 games...

2015 he left the team depleted of defenseman depth. Defenseman take longer to develop, so that 6th round pick, the only forward outside Jack, should surely be ready by now, right?

We had a crap bottom 6 built from a dry well of the pipeline thanks to Darcy's inability to draft quality forwards the years before.

2 1st in 2015 would either be about ready to produce now; or valuable chips to trade for help. Bott's first act was taking what little he had outside of core forwards: Ennis + Foligno and turned them into Scandella; because as you note the team was striped of defense too.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Eh. 2014 was an objectively bad draft for TMGM. Swung and missed on 3 seconds. Of the 8 picks after Reinhart, only two might make a NHL contribution, Johanssen and Oloffson. 2015 actually wasn't too bad. If you ignore the traded picks (2x 1sts, 31st OA)

2015 yielded Guhle and Borgen, both of whom could crack a NHL lineup.

In 2016 Asplund could easily be a gem at 33.

I think you could easily blame the blue line issues on Murray. McNabb, Myers and Pysyk were essentially given away for pennies on the dollar with Bogosian the only real tangible asset left after those trades.

As the forwards go....we've drafted piss poor going back to well before Murray started

Going back 10 years, here are our drafted forwards in the 1st 3 rounds:

Regier Drafts:
2008: Ennis, Adam
2009: Kassian, Foligno
2010: Sundher
2011: Armia, Catanacci
2012: Grigerenko, Girgensons, Kea
2013: Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Baptiste

Murray Drafts
2014: Reinhart, Lemieux, Cornel, Karabeck
2015: Eichel
2016: Nylander, Asplund, Pu

Botterill draft:

2017: Mittelstadt, Davidson
2018: (no F taken in 3 rounds)

Those Regier drafts were just ****ing brutal in terms of forwards. Of that group, there are 0 top 6 forwards. Bailey and Baptiste MIGHT crack a NHL top 6 eventually. Ennis, I suppose, you could excuse because of the injuries. But still, woof. Murray had a few tap ins (Reinhart and Eichel).

I'm totally on board; the drafting has not hit many players in the last decade. Through multiple GMs. Trading all the picks that Murray did and having almost nothing left over took that flaming bus and drove it off a cliff.

Murray had a war chest of TWO seasons worth of high round picks stocked up. Now the team has Bogo, RoR and SJS 1st in 19.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Stastny would be huge in allowing us to get assets for ROR but at 32 years old, really curious what a contract would look like. I do like JVR too and think he could help this team in many ways from depth on the left side next to Eichel, to being a leader, having some success in Toronto.

We need to learn from the awful Murray free agency deals though. (Moulson, Ennis, Okposo, etc.) Don't strap ourselves with long term contracts that are high cap hits! We need to be able to sign our young core.

I'd much rather prefer to overpay and sign for 2 years than 7x7 etc.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You could see this trade coming from a mile away. It just makes too much sense given Pittsburgh's cap crunch, Sheary being the odd man out there, our needs, and Botterill's familiarity with that organization.
For just a pick though?

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
You could see this trade coming from a mile away. It just makes too much sense given Pittsburgh's cap crunch, Sheary being the odd man out there, our needs, and Botterill's familiarity with that organization.

Yeah. This week they've been giving extensions to basically all their other wingers. Sheary is the odd man out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad