Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2018 Off-Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Given that Toronto may end up with Tavares, I believe its going to be a very active post July 1st for the Sabres.

The only thing Tavares landing spot effects is the suitors for O'Reilly. I haven't heard any of the six teams he's talked with linked with RoR, so even then.

Buffalo has the same holes to fill regardless of whether or not Tavares signs in Toronto, NYI, Boston, etc.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I have no faith in Botterill being anything more than a GM capable of running a pro organization with some competence, there are 50 others who could do the same. I hope he's better than that but so far there is no reason to believe he's more than that.

He's inherited so much, two young franchise players a 1C and 1D, the 1D he got by his own incompetence but Murray gave him a head start with that. We have one of the leagues premier two way centers in ROR and a nice collection of high end to very good prospects. He'll have to really blow it badly, i.e. another bottom 3 finish to lose his job. The accumulated young talent is too good not to improve in the standings and he'll get the credit for it by the Pegulas who are simpletons. Unless this season is a disaster again I think we're stuck with Botterill for better or worse for quite some time.
This post has so many fallacies in it....

You should go root for the team Murray manages..... o wait.

Not even sure how this post deals with this thread since it complains about Botterill and has nothing to do with roster speculation.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Talk is fine. Being ready to ****can the guy over an unsubstantiated rumor from a biased beat reporter is not.

But, who cares if someone wants to get rid of the GM? There's always going to be someone who wants to fire a GM or someone in management. If they want to get rid of them because of a rumor, then let them. It's not like those that want to get rid of the guy were okay with him up until this rumor. This is just further ammo that someone thinks they get with this rumor. I can guarantee you that there were other parts of Bott's work that they wanted him gone for.

Reactions: sabrebuild

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Right!? I mean we can use that money on a 2nd line center until Mitts is ready for more important minutes, or we can use it on a 60+ point winger. The options of using that 7.5 for 5 years are endless

We likely aren't going to be anywhere near the cap until Dahlin hits RFA. If we move RoR and don't bring back a long term contract, we'll have 22M in cap commitments in 2 years. If you want to do the math, if we assume a flat cap, thats 57.5 M in cap space. In terms of major RFAs, we have Reinhart this year, Mittlestadt in 2 years. I don't disagree that 7.5M in a lot of cap space.....but I have to think we're going to more than 7.5M under the cap the next few years if we trade RoR.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
We likely aren't going to be anywhere near the cap until Dahlin hits RFA. If we move RoR and don't bring back a long term contract, we'll have 22M in cap commitments in 2 years. If you want to do the math, if we assume a flat cap, thats 57.5 M in cap space. In terms of major RFAs, we have Reinhart this year, Mittlestadt in 2 years. I don't disagree that 7.5M in a lot of cap space.....but I have to think we're going to more than 7.5M under the cap the next few years if we trade RoR.

And this is a reason to trade him now because??? ROR's cap isn't going to impact Reinhart in anyway. So let's say Mittelstadt is up for a large raise in 2 years, then we can look to trade ROR, if for some reason ROR's contract is a problem and we can't trade Okposo's instead. It seems there are a limited amount of teams that are willing to take on ROR's cap hit for 5 years. Will not shock me, if the team's interested in ROR increase as the years go by. Having ROR for 2 years is easier to stomach.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
But, who cares if someone wants to get rid of the GM? There's always going to be someone who wants to fire a GM or someone in management. If they want to get rid of them because of a rumor, then let them. It's not like those that want to get rid of the guy were okay with him up until this rumor. This is just further ammo that someone thinks they get with this rumor. I can guarantee you that there were other parts of Bott's work that they wanted him gone for.

Seeing a bunch of people harp on him all doom and gloom because of a rumor is obnoxious at best. The Sabres drafted a generational (don't @ me) defenseman, something they've never had in 48 years of being in existence, less than a week ago. Comments like "Botts is sitting on his hands" before free agency even opens are unnecessary, short-sighted, and just plain wrong. It contributes nothing to the conversation.

Now, to make this about ROSTER SPECULATION since that is indeed the topic, I still think that ROR goes nowhere until Tavares decides what he's doing. Then the prices will go up, especially since the 7.5m bonus will be paid. I still have StL as my most likely target, with a package including one of Berglund/Sobotka coming to Buffalo.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
This post has so many fallacies in it....

You should go root for the team Murray manages..... o wait.

Not even sure how this post deals with this thread since it complains about Botterill and has nothing to do with roster speculation.

hey you know what? you should run to a mod and complain like a big boy.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Murray left Botterill with so much? I'm sorry I can't. These are obvious satire posts right? Tim Murray was the GM who came in with multiple impending big name UFAs with high trade value along with a cupboard overflowing with extra top prospects,1st and 2nd round picks and Tim Murray decimated it to get "his" guys.

Murray left Botterill with Eichel. That's it. Risto was Darcy. Dahlin was Botterill. Murray will go down as the worst GM in Buffalo Sabres history it's not even debatable. We have never been as bad in our nearly 50 year history then we were under Mr Cool Tim Murray. But he swears and drinks beer and does good interviews and says as few words as possible at the draft podium to seem edgy so I'm going to somehow retain a loyal following on a message board. I can assure you outside of this place no Sabre fan is longing for the days of Tim Murray and finishing last or 8th last every year :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: jc17

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The only thing Tavares landing spot effects is the suitors for O'Reilly. I haven't heard any of the six teams he's talked with linked with RoR, so even then.

Buffalo has the same holes to fill regardless of whether or not Tavares signs in Toronto, NYI, Boston, etc.
Why would you hear teams going after RoR if they are going after Tavares. That would make no sense. Once they lose out on Tavares then they would go to plan B.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Murray left Botterill with so much? I'm sorry I can't. These are obvious satire posts right? Tim Murray was the GM who came in with multiple impending big name UFAs with high trade value along with a cupboard overflowing with extra top prospects,1st and 2nd round picks and Tim Murray decimated it to get "his" guys.

Murray left Botterill with Eichel. That's it. Risto was Darcy. Dahlin was Botterill. Murray will go down as the worst GM in Buffalo Sabres history it's not even debatable. We have never been as bad in our nearly 50 year history then we were under Mr Cool Tim Murray. But he swears and drinks beer and does good interviews and says as few words as possible at the draft podium to seem edgy so I'm going to somehow retain a loyal following on a message board. I can assure you outside of this place no Sabre fan is longing for the days of Tim Murray and finishing last or 8th last every year :laugh::laugh:
Tim Murray wasn't great and I dont see a single person on this board advocating for Murray to come back but using Murray as a scape goat for Botterills mistakes makes you the blind clown around here.

Also the verdict is still out on Murray's draft. Guhle looks real promising and he signed CJ Smith who could be a potential top 6 in the NHL. The rest we are waiting to see.

Mis-managing of the roster and draft picks is his biggest sin. I am glad Murray is gone but enough with the Murray blame, whats done is done and he's not even in office anymore. Botterill is and he deserves as much flack as Murray got until this team starts winning.

By the way, I'm curious to how you blame Murray for a team regressing under Botterill/Housley duo.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Seeing a bunch of people harp on him all doom and gloom because of a rumor is obnoxious at best. The Sabres drafted a generational (don't @ me) defenseman, something they've never had in 48 years of being in existence, less than a week ago. Comments like "Botts is sitting on his hands" before free agency even opens are unnecessary, short-sighted, and just plain wrong. It contributes nothing to the conversation.

Now, to make this about ROSTER SPECULATION since that is indeed the topic, I still think that ROR goes nowhere until Tavares decides what he's doing. Then the prices will go up, especially since the 7.5m bonus will be paid. I still have StL as my most likely target, with a package including one of Berglund/Sobotka coming to Buffalo.

They harp on him because it's pretty much a bias confirmation. I know, because I talked about the rumor saying, if that's what Botts would accept, then that scares me. Much like when Botts does something good(ie The Scandella trade) people that like him will tout that as why he's a good GM. It's an endless circle (redundant I know). I agree the comments about Botts sitting on his hands before free agency in the context of signing UFAs from other teams is wrong.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hard to believe all the negativity when we have arguably the best U23 core in the entire NHL. The entire focus needs to be building around that group.
I just gloss right over all the bitching at this point. That's all it is, griping just to gripe because there's nothing else to do, hockey-wise.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Gotcha, don’t talk about anything until it happens. Don’t have opinion on anything speculative.

Please

Discuss all you like. But don't just accept any rumor/speculation about a trade idea/proposal simply because it paints our GM in a bad light. A little critical analysis of the report from sportsnet would show there isn't much there. If some weren't so predisposed to believe anything negative about our GM, they may have had a more skeptical eye on the report. Instead we are getting some posters who are nervous about what it means for the competence of our GM. Some were already worried and some simply dislike our GM and grab anything negative to feed the incompetence narrative they support.

Don't confuse this with me being 100% on board with Botts having the answers. I truly don't know if he does. I will find out with everyone else this summer if he has a plan to get behind. As a fan of the team, I want to believe he does because the alternative is very depressing. I like some of the smaller things management has done. But nothing major has happened, so we wait.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
And this is a reason to trade him now because??? ROR's cap isn't going to impact Reinhart in anyway. So let's say Mittelstadt is up for a large raise in 2 years, then we can look to trade ROR, if for some reason ROR's contract is a problem and we can't trade Okposo's instead. It seems there are a limited amount of teams that are willing to take on ROR's cap hit for 5 years. Will not shock me, if the team's interested in ROR increase as the years go by. Having ROR for 2 years is easier to stomach.

My point was exactly the opposite. The idea moving RoR gives us cap space is silly. If we are moving RoR, it'll be for other reasons. We're no where near the cap nor do we project to be in a cap crunch anytime over the next 3 years.

Why would you hear teams going after RoR if they are going after Tavares. That would make no sense. Once they lose out on Tavares then they would go to plan B.

Teams that are looking to add Tavares are looking to do so because it's a free asset that only costs cap space. Just because they are looking at Tavares now doesn't mean they are lining up for O'Reilly if they swing and miss.

A team willing to spend 12M a year on a franchise center may or may not be willing to spend 7.5M + the assets to acquire RoR.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

The two tanking years under Murray rank 2nd and 3rd worse seasons with 78+ games. (71-72 was the worst season). Side note the 12-13 season has the lowest amount of points, but was on pace for 82 points for a full season.

Botterill's 1st season is the 4th worst season in Sabres history. That was without tanking.

Murray's seasons non tanking seasons:
15-16 - 13th worst
16-17 - 11th worst

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Tim Murray wasn't great and I dont see a single person on this board advocating for Murray to come back but using Murray as a scape goat for Botterills mistakes makes you the blind clown around here.

Also the verdict is still out on Murray's draft. Guhle looks real promising and he signed CJ Smith who could be a potential top 6 in the NHL. The rest we are waiting to see.

Mis-managing of the roster and draft picks is his biggest sin. I am glad Murray is gone but enough with the Murray blame, whats done is done and he's not even in office anymore. Botterill is and he deserves as much flack as Murray got until this team starts winning.

By the way, I'm curious to how you blame Murray for a team regressing under Botterill/Housley duo.

Because blaming Darcy for the lack of prospects being ready in the pipeline isn't cool enough.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
People harp on TM still because his moves are what stripped team's bottom 6 now. 2 1st 3 2nds along with some secondary players would go miles to making this a productive team.

This year is the year when other teams 1st and 2nds/3rds from 2015 are starting to contribute in the NHL. Buffalo was positioned to have those assets contributing. Now? Nothing, Kane was traded for futures and Bogo is toast.

Botterill was given a team with some very high end talent; almost nothing in the way of prospects, a completely stripped bottom 6 and no extra draft ammunition.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The two tanking years under Murray rank 2nd and 3rd worse seasons with 78+ games. (71-72 was the worst season). Side note the 12-13 season has the lowest amount of points, but was on pace for 82 points for a full season.

Botterill's 1st season is the 4th worst season in Sabres history. That was without tanking.

Murray's seasons non tanking seasons:
15-16 - 13th worst
16-17 - 11th worst

Honestly, who gives a shit. Like seriously, be glad he wasn't stupid about it and tried to make quick fixes half way through. It's not his fault ROR was trash to start, Reinhart was trash until 2018, and the injuries compounded like never seen before.

Reactions: SabresFan26

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Honestly, who gives a ****. Like seriously, be glad he wasn't stupid about it and tried to make quick fixes half way through. It's not his fault ROR was trash to start, Reinhart was trash until 2018, and the injuries compounded like never seen before.
It is his fault for thinking Josefson and Pouliot and Nolan could be anything more than hot garbage though...I really hope he's able to get some MUCH better filler for the roster this time around.

Reactions: jc17

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
It is his fault for thinking Josefson and Pouliot and Nolan could be anything more than hot garbage though...I really hope he's able to get some MUCH better filler for the roster this time around.

Pouliot was a calculated, shrewd signing. It got a lot of praise from national media as a possible sleeper signing. I'm not going to fault him on that one. For a one year, you-just-got-bought-out-so-prove-yourself deal, it was a smart move. It didn't pan out, but it was a smart move.

Josefson could be effective, but playing with Nolan didn't help, and the Sabres couldn't score enough to get to enough shootouts to make his penalty shot ability worthwhile.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Honestly, who gives a ****. Like seriously, be glad he wasn't stupid about it and tried to make quick fixes half way through. It's not his fault ROR was trash to start, Reinhart was trash until 2018, and the injuries compounded like never seen before.
no he wasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad