Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Agreed. The team needs to move on from the Lee/Nelson/Martin/Clutterbuck leadership group and finally hand the keys to Barzal/Horvat. It’s time…things have gotten so stale.
Horvat should be Captain.

Has Barzal ever worn an A under Barry or Lambert? So far under Roy, he’s made some big statements and hasn’t backed them up.

Reilly feels like a guy Lou is going to give a 5 year 2M deal to
I’ll sign up for 2 or 3 years at 1.5M.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Agreed. The team needs to move on from the Lee/Nelson/Martin/Clutterbuck leadership group and finally hand the keys to Barzal/Horvat. It’s time…things have gotten so stale.

I would HOPE that both Martin and Clutterbuck are not on the roster next year. As for Lee and Nelson, I think one of those guys could potentially be moved before the start of next season, but there's no guarantee that will happen.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I would HOPE that both Martin and Clutterbuck are not on the roster next year. As for Lee and Nelson, I think one of those guys could potentially be moved before the start of next season, but there's no guarantee that will happen.
They need to move on from Nelson bc you can’t sign him. Start the process sooner vs later. It would also be good to start sunsetting the older crew.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
IF the Isles continue to fall off and IF Lou decides to sell maybe a Nelson and Pelech for Byram and Colton +. I would have also liked to see Nelson to the Jets for Perfetti but that is not happening with their deal for Monahan. I could see possibly Avs, Oilers, and Leafs interested in Pelech if Lou sells.

There are several transactions and deals that Lou has completed that have left me scratching my head, but the minor deal that sent Durandreau to the Devils for Thompson really irked me. Not saying that AD would have been a star in this lineup but had the possibility of being a solid bottom 9 for this team post Martin and Clutterbuck and possibly improve PK.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Would NYI be able to return anything of value for Anders Lee at 2M retained (so 5M per for two years)?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If Lou is trading Nelson, then he needs to get that right. A hockey trade - Nelson for Buchnevich? Nelson for a 1st and prospect? Nelson for a very good, young player, Byram? Or Rossi?

If Guentzel hits free agency, then Isles could trade Nelson for pure futures and throw $ at Guentzel.

I think they keep Lee, but he needs to play down in the line up - buying him out doesn’t make sense and it Lou’s way. Have him play next season and then see. He will still get his 20 goals.

Cal will retire after this season. Not sure what happens with Martin after this season he would be half season away from 1000 NHL games which might be a milestone he wants - not sure he does it with the Isles.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
IF the Isles continue to fall off and IF Lou decides to sell maybe a Nelson and Pelech for Byram and Colton +. I would have also liked to see Nelson to the Jets for Perfetti but that is not happening with their deal for Monahan. I could see possibly Avs, Oilers, and Leafs interested in Pelech if Lou sells.

I'll first believe Lou can sell when we see it.

He hasn't done it yet as an Islander GM. His age and career phase would indicate that he has no reason to do anything but "go for it" with every last breath. Because at his age, every last breath could really be his last breath.

There are several transactions and deals that Lou has completed that have left me scratching my head, but the minor deal that sent Durandreau to the Devils for Thompson really irked me. Not saying that AD would have been a star in this lineup but had the possibility of being a solid bottom 9 for this team post Martin and Clutterbuck and possibly improve PK.

We don't know but I'm really willing to bet that Durandeau made it known to the organization that he'd like to continue his career elsewhere.

And I can imagine that the Lamoriellos would rather see guys willing to take that step out of the organization.

Just an educated guess, because there's little else about that deal that made much sense.

Also, I'm sure Lou 'n co. had felt that MacLean had reached a point where he could do anything at the NHL level that Durandeau could.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They need to move on from Nelson bc you can’t sign him. Start the process sooner vs later. It would also be good to start sunsetting the older crew.
The older crew never should have been allowed to remain here this long. But that’s just me.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If Lou is trading Nelson, then he needs to get that right. A hockey trade - Nelson for Buchnevich? Nelson for a 1st and prospect? Nelson for a very good, young player, Byram? Or Rossi?

You get a 1st, a young NHLer, and a safe prospect.

Nelson would bring you no less than what Horvat was moved for. Heck, Nelson has one more year on his contract, so he's a more beneficial move than Horvat was.

I think they keep Lee, but he needs to play down in the line up - buying him out doesn’t make sense and it Lou’s way. Have him play next season and then see. He will still get his 20 goals.

Lee can't be moved. The skill level on the team has to be improved so that Lee assumes a lower line role with a spot on PP unit 2, contract be damned.

Cal will retire after this season. Not sure what happens with Martin after this season he would be half season away from 1000 NHL games which might be a milestone he wants - not sure he does it with the Isles.

Can't see either in another uniform. But we're at the point where it's clear that we're gonna get more out of Cizikas with other linemates moving forward.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Interesting proposal with Colorado. There is a trade history btw Sakic and Lou. Isles get younger with Pelech and Byram move Nelson becomes there 2 C - Nelson won’t block a move to Colorado not sure if Colton is the right piece to get back. I think you do Nelson for Byram and trade Pelech in a separate deal - not sure Pelech accepts a deal to a Canadian team and Oilers and Leafs cannot offer much.

Nelson will not waive to go to Winnipeg.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

He never has. His age and career phase would indicate that he has no reason to do anything but "go for it" with every last breath. Because at his age, every last breath could really be his last breath.

We don't know but I'm really willing to bet that Durandeau made it known to the organization that he'd like to continue his career elsewhere.

And I can imagine that the Lamoriellos would rather see guys willing to take that step out of the organization.

Just an educated guess, because there's little else about that deal that made much sense.

Also, I'm sure Lou 'n co. had felt that MacLean had reached a point where he could do anything at the NHL level that Durandeau could.
Someone mentioned MacLean’s faceoff prowess is not so great, he should he in the running for the 4th line LW position next year (if they really want to help Martin hit 1K games he needs to do it as a 13th forward). After all, he’s been playing 1LW in Bridgeport since being returned. And he’ll be cheap…

Reactions: Strummergas

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

If Guentzel hits free agency, then Isles could trade Nelson for pure futures and throw $ at Guentzel.

Trading Nelson without returning a center either means breaking up Barzal and Horvat or playing Iskhakov there for the rest of the season. If you're trading Nelson you almost have to return a center

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

Byram unfortunately is a ticking time bomb and Colton doesn't replace half of what Nelson brings. There would need to be a ++ there.

There's probably a Pelech + deal for Rielly that theoretically makes sense for both teams but both players have NMCs, and while I could see why Pelech would waive (pajamas) I'm not sure why Rielly would aside from having prior experience with Lou

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Would NYI be able to return anything of value for Anders Lee at 2M retained (so 5M per for two years)?

Depending on what the Penguins do I did wonder if he'd be a good fit their to help their power play struggles. Ever since they lost Hornqvist's net front presence I feel like they've been scrambling to find a replacement. Having someone like Lee parked in front of the net just banging home the garbage and getting tips might help them out. Guentzel might be on his way out so that would open up a spot for him. Not sure what Pittsburgh would have to offer though.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He hasn't done it yet as an Islander GM. His age and career phase would indicate that he has no reason to do anything but "go for it" with every last breath. Because at his age, every last breath could really be his last breath.

Every breath Lou takes
Every pick he forsakes
I’ll be watching Lou.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Trading Nelson without returning a center either means breaking up Barzal and Horvat or playing Iskhakov there for the rest of the season. If you're trading Nelson you almost have to return a center
You can trade with Seattle for a 1st, prospect, and take back UFA-to be Wenberg to offset the salary/cap.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
You can trade with Seattle for a 1st, prospect, and take back UFA-to be Wenberg to offset the salary/cap.
Seattle is further back in the playoff race than we are and have Beniers, Wright, and Goyette all poised to grow into top 6 rows so I'd be surprised if they were interested in trading for Nelson. The best fit is definitely Colorado, but I could see STL or Nashville going for him as well

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Getting rid of the country club would be nice. A Lee buyout is actually not that bad

Also I’ve said this before but I’ll reiterate it here, there are NO other teams in professional sports that have as many guys on their roster from 10+ years ago without winning a single championship or even making it to the finals. Why we continue to have this undying faith in these guys blows my mind. No other team does this.
Our GMs have been horrible

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Seattle is further back in the playoff race than we are and have Beniers, Wright, and Goyette all poised to grow into top 6 rows so I'd be surprised if they were interested in trading for Nelson. The best fit is definitely Colorado, but I could see STL or Nashville going for him as well
Agree COL would be best for, but that’s gonna require a 3rd team to make that transaction happen.

Seattle is 4 points out of the last two spots. They are well within range of taking one of the last two spots. Getting a Nelson can be viewed as giving Berniers more breathing room. They need to spread the offense around. Teams are focusing on Berniers.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Agree COL would be best for, but that’s gonna require a 3rd team to make that transaction happen.

Seattle is 4 points out of the last two spots. They are well within range of taking one of the last two spots. Getting a Nelson can be viewed as giving Berniers more breathing room. They need to spread the offense around. Teams are focusing on Berniers.
The teams holding the WC spots in the west have games in hand on them. Seattle is .050 pct points out, we are .39... which is essentially the same thing but they're certainly not in a better situation than us so it would be kind of weird for them to go out and make what would potentially be the largest acquisition of the deadline.

Nelson for Colton, Ritchie and a first with someone like Kivaranta to balance out the money?

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I do. Ledecky was talking about getting the all star game and how the way to do that was by winning games. The outdoor game is the type of event with all eyes watching that would be an impetus for change if it doesn't go well, especially on top of the underachieving season they are having.
Lou is not getting fired. Certainly not mid-season because of a stupid outdoor game.

If Lee won’t give up the “C”, he should be traded. What does his buyout look like?

He was absolutely the right guy at the time when Tavares left, but in my opinion he is no longer the right leader for the team.
Why should he give up the C? Fair to suggest he should be traded or whatever but if he's on the team, how would stripping him of the captaincy make the team better?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Lou is not getting fired. Certainly not mid-season because of a stupid outdoor game.

Why should he give up the C? Fair to suggest he should be traded or whatever but if he's on the team, how would stripping him of the captaincy make the team better?
Yeah, worked out great in SJ (nope, it did not…).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad