Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Lou is not getting fired. Certainly not mid-season because of a stupid outdoor game.

Why should he give up the C? Fair to suggest he should be traded or whatever but if he's on the team, how would stripping him of the captaincy make the team better?
Read my post. I said after the season.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The teams holding the WC spots in the west have games in hand on them. Seattle is .050 pct points out, we are .39... which is essentially the same thing but they're certainly not in a better situation than us so it would be kind of weird for them to go out and make what would potentially be the largest acquisition of the deadline.

Nelson for Colton, Ritchie and a first with someone like Kivaranta to balance out the money?
IMO, that is a weak package for Nelson. It is comparable to the Horvat deal, but that first has the potential to be really low. I think they would need to get better. Lou can hold onto Nelson and get a similar package at TDL next season.

If they decide to part with Nelson, Isles & Lou are better off trading him closer to the draft than at the TDL.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
They need to move on from Nelson bc you can’t sign him. Start the process sooner vs later. It would also be good to start sunsetting the older crew.
You could get more for Nelson in off-season I think. He’s one of better 2nd centers in league so it opens enormous hole in lineup but perhaps that’s easier to address in off-season.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I'll first believe Lou can sell when we see it.

He hasn't done it yet as an Islander GM. His age and career phase would indicate that he has no reason to do anything but "go for it" with every last breath. Because at his age, every last breath could really be his last breath.

We don't know but I'm really willing to bet that Durandeau made it known to the organization that he'd like to continue his career elsewhere.

And I can imagine that the Lamoriellos would rather see guys willing to take that step out of the organization.

Just an educated guess, because there's little else about that deal that made much sense.

Also, I'm sure Lou 'n co. had felt that MacLean had reached a point where he could do anything at the NHL level that Durandeau could.
Durandeau will be playing in Europe after this year, he was really bad to start year and clearly his shot here had passed him by. He’s a minor leaguer and as mentioned Maclean has ability to be a better fourth liner at nhl level. At very least fill in fourth liner.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Depending on what the Penguins do I did wonder if he'd be a good fit there to help their power play struggles. Ever since they lost Hornqvist's net front presence I feel like they've been scrambling to find a replacement. Having someone like Lee parked in front of the net just banging home the garbage and getting tips might help them out. Guentzel might be on his way out so that would open up a spot for him. Not sure what Pittsburgh would have to offer though.
Can’t see isles trading their captan to Penguins tbh. I get maybe there is fit there just don’t see Lou doing it. If they were to move him it takes probably closer to 50 percent retained and perhaps team like LA is interested. Nashville also I could see him fitting and then there is Trotz connection. I honestly see him as buyout more than trade candidate. It depends on how he finishes year along with team.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The team needs to go on a run and a win at the Stadium Series may give the team a good first step towards that with 28 games left in the season. Very little room for error.

There are 9 games left to the deadline and if we continue to see two steps forward and two steps back, then I assume Isles stand pat and reevaluate the roster at the end of the season.
There won't be any selling maybe someone like Bortuzzo, Clutterbuck, and Reilly.

A 7-2 run before the deadline puts the team right back into the 3rd spot in the Metro.
  • Rangers - W
  • @ pens - W
  • @ Blues - W
  • TBY - W
  • @ Dall - L
  • @ DET - W
  • BOS - L
  • Blues - W
  • @ SJ - W

This is when you know things aren't good - When you're projecting the future as opposed to looking at what is happening....

Sat, Jan 13@NashvilleNashvilleL3-119-13-10SorokinSorokin
Mon, Jan 15@MinnesotaMinnesotaL5-019-14-10SorokinSorokin
Tue, Jan 16@WinnipegWinnipegL4-219-15-10SorokinLee
Fri, Jan 19@ChicagoChicagoL4-3 OT19-15-11SorokinPalmieri
Sun, Jan 21vsDallasDallasW3-2 OT20-15-11SorokinSorokin
Tue, Jan 23vsVegasVegasL3-220-16-11SorokinDobson
Thu, Jan 25@MontrealMontrealL4-320-17-11VarlamovBarzal
Sat, Jan 27vsFloridaFloridaL3-2 OT20-17-12VarlamovVarlamov
Mon, Feb 5@TorontoTorontoW3-221-17-12SorokinSorokin
Thu, Feb 8vsTampa BayTampa BayW6-222-17-12SorokinHorvat
Sat, Feb 10vsCalgaryCalgaryL5-222-18-12VarlamovPalmieri
Tue, Feb 13vsSeattleSeattleL2-1 SO22-18-13SorokinSorokin

How much more lackluster, if not terrible, play has to happen right in front of our eyes before we can all finally admit this roster is not only not good enough to win a Cup, but will continue to only get further away with each passing season?

Change can be a very good thing. In the case of the Isles it's actually very necessary.

Reactions: Ishkabible

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Lastly, no matter what hockey is for you, it's still categorized as entertainment. My teams (Isles, Ravens, Orioles) never win anything. 99% of fans' teams don't win. The winning doesn't decide my enjoyment, the actual game does.

Of course sports are objectively entertainment - No one is disputing that. That said it's more than that for many people out there. I mean a majority of people who watch sports don't actually go to games and many more than that rarely, if ever, post online about their teams.

Also good to know that only the individual games decide your level of enjoyment. Sounds like you not only don't care if the Isles come close to winning a Cup, but wondering how much enjoyment you've been getting the last few weeks.

I would HOPE that both Martin and Clutterbuck are not on the roster next year. As for Lee and Nelson, I think one of those guys could potentially be moved before the start of next season, but there's no guarantee that will happen.

Lou has literally signed every single unrestricted free agent that wanted to keep playing. You think he's all of a sudden just going to let Martln/Clutterbuck walk without giving them like 1.5 million/season for the next 5-7 years?

If you don't want Martin/Clutterbuck to come back then you need Lou to not come back.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'll first believe Lou can sell when we see it.

He hasn't done it yet as an Islander GM. His age and career phase would indicate that he has no reason to do anything but "go for it" with every last breath. Because at his age, every last breath could really be his last breath.

Bing-f***ing-o.

Someone mentioned MacLean’s faceoff prowess is not so great, he should he in the running for the 4th line LW position next year (if they really want to help Martin hit 1K games he needs to do it as a 13th forward). After all, he’s been playing 1LW in Bridgeport since being returned. And he’ll be cheap…

Discussing what AHL player is going to take a 4th line position on this team like like discussing the color of the mailbox while the house is on fire.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You could get more for Nelson in off-season I think. He’s one of better 2nd centers in league so it opens enormous hole in lineup but perhaps that’s easier to address in off-season.
Maybe, who knows, but if you wanna rid yourself of the players that aren’t getting it done, just rip the bandaid off and get going. It’s also a statement to the other players for the rest of the season.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
We can make guesses, but we have no idea whether or to what extent Malkin influences the direction of the hockey end of things. I suspect as you do that he does not micromanage, but I also find it hard to believe the there are no big picture discussions of what ownership would like to see for the short and long term. In other words, if making the playoffs is important to ownership then that would be communicated. And a decision to rebuild would not be made without input/sign-off from ownership.

Which is why...

No matter what happens this is all ultimately Malkin's responsibility. Lou should take a lot of heat, but since Malkin can replace him anytime he's the one needs to take all the heat.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
I just hope the Isles are sellers at the trade deadline. Nelson has been mentioned here, I would look to move Pelech as well. He's a solid defensemen and I think he would garner a lot of interest for most teams. Defense wins playoffs. Let's face it, it will be quite a few years before the Isles are any real threat in the playoffs again. Pelech is 29, he'll be well past his prime by then.
If they can move Lee and get some of his contract covered, that's a win. Palmieri go for it. If the Isles can trick someone into taking Engvall do it! I think Varlamov is a fantastic backup, but if a team calls, the Isles should listen. This team is 2 years past when the rebuild should have begun. They have the worst team in the AHL which tells you something about their prospect pool. The Isles desperately need draft picks and prospects.

They should build around Sorokin, Dobson, Romanov, Barzal and Horvat. The rest of the team is made up of 3rd and 4th liners, (I'm looking at you JG).

Last edited:
Reactions: ekill08x

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bing-f***ing-o.

Discussing what AHL player is going to take a 4th line position on this team like like discussing the color of the mailbox while the house is on fire.
MacLean is only 24 and can skate unlike Fasching or Wahlstrom. He’ll likely end up being a AAAA journeyman, but the underlying numbers were positive and the eye test seemed to align.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
We'll see.

So we're just going to ignore the same and predictable pattern of the last 5 years and magically think it's going to be different *this year*...? It's more like...

We've seen.

MacLean is only 24 and can skate unlike Fasching or Wahlstrom. He’ll likely end up being a AAAA journeyman, but the underlying numbers were positive and the eye test seemed to align.

With respect...Who the F cares about MacLean? We need to fix so many other things with the team that if those other things were fixed I'd resign Jon Sim to play the 4th line and feel much better than I do now about the state of the team.

Reactions: LAIslanderFan

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Which is why...

No matter what happens this is all ultimately Malkin's responsibility. Lou should take a lot of heat, but since Malkin can replace him anytime he's the one needs to take all the heat.
Someone hold him ACCOUNTABLE GOD DAMMIT!

This is when you know things aren't good - When you're projecting the future as opposed to looking at what is happening....
Did you actually just write this?

BWAHAHAHAHA

I think the Isles need a new owner, this one isn’t good enough…
If he doesn't commit to rebuilding the right way by July 1 I hope he sells the team.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Sorry perif, but this is the biggest load of bullshit coming from you of all people on here... this is your shtick and has been for as long as I've been on here. I know you're as passionate as they come around here, but come on dude.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Someone hold him ACCOUNTABLE GOD DAMMIT!

BWAHAHAHAHA

If he doesn't commit to rebuilding the right way by July 1 I hope he sells the team.

You Guys are Hysterical...
Others need to get your point though lmao!!!!

Roy punishing the Country Club a Bit Today at the end of practice lol!!!!

Reactions: periferal

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I wonder if a rebuilding team, eg Chicago, would take Lee. These teams need veteran support, Lee is still good for 20 goals, leadership, and grit. In Chicago’s case, they just need warm bodies and have the space; much like SJ.

A major restructuring is required. Lou is going to have to create cap space in order to improve the club (younger, more skilled). Lee would free up 7 and change the culture. Of course JGP and Palms are other candidates. Lee is target number one for me.

Idk where I stand on trading Nelson and/or Pelech. You can’t replace these two.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
You Guys are Hysterical...
Others need to get your point though lmao!!!!

Roy punishing the Country Club a Bit Today at the end of practice lol!!!!

Bag skating NHL players is about as useful as Perif's burning house mailbox. Once you have reached that level if you are not self-motivated enough or don't care enough about winning to put forth the necessary effort to achieve that goal that your coach has to treat you like a pee wee team then you are lost already.

It's about the roster folks, nothing else.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016

BWAHAHAHAHA

Sorry perif, but this is the biggest load of bullshit coming from you of all people on here... this is your shtick and has been for as long as I've been on here. I know you're as passionate as they come around here, but come on dude.
He was responding to a poster hypothesizing that the Islanders would need to win 7 of 9 to get back into the race. Sure, that kind of play would vault the Canadiens back into the race too.

His point was that using the evidence of the last 200ish games of Islanders hockey, the odds of sustained successful play are quite low.

Reactions: beach and periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad