Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Need 15 points probably to stay in it, this break before outdoor game will close gap on games played between all the relevant teams. Can this team win 7 of these next 9
Part of the issue is the rest of the teams around the Isles are just as inept, keeping the Isles closer than it should be.

At point, this team was in second place for like two weeks…

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Part of the issue is the rest of the teams around the Isles are just as inept, keeping the Isles closer than it should be.

The east sucks this year. It’s a shame the isles are a part of the suck. I do think the Devils will start putting it together now that Hughes is back.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

It’s weird spot your right, can’t give up on season as they are too close. Only three from wings and we play them twice rest of way, another game with Philly also rest of way. If these games before deadline or even next 8 before they head west don’t go well it’s sell what you can and get some late round picks for guys like clutterbuck and move on to off-season.

The east sucks this year. It’s a shame the isles are a part of the suck. I do think the Devils will start putting it together now that Hughes is back.
If they get a goalie yes devils will be in but if they stick with guys they have it’s not guaranteed for them.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Roy didn’t take this job to coach half a season, he will be coach next year. I think he’s tied to Lou as well so Lou also will be back. I think they are going to shake the room up should this team not get to playoffs, maybe even if they get in and have another first round exit.
I think if there’s a move made to hire a new GM after the season he will be permitted to hire his own coach. Roy just might get swept up in that if we miss the playoffs again.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You are 100% correct, he can hauling and scream tell his red in the face but he will never get what Trotz got out of they by talking and showing them he had confidence in them.
Trotz had his success during shortened seasons.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I think if there’s a move made to hire a new GM after the season he will be permitted to hire his own coach. Roy just might get swept up in that if we miss the playoffs again.
That’s wacky ownership territory, that’s not these guys.

Reactions: Potvottier

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Believe me I do more watching then you know. Combine that with my intense desire to see this team win a Cup and it's not just entertainment to me. I doubt it's just entertainment for most of the posters anywhere on these boards. Most people who see entertainment (sports, concerts, broadway, etc) just go and see it and then focus back on life. They rarely go online and talk about it with strangers over a period of time unless it is more than just entertainment to them.

As for the owners..Malkin is obviously a good businessman, but I think if not for Ledecky he probably doesn't own the Islanders. He's not really a hockey guy. He probably knows how to hire good/great people to get the job done that he wants. So that whole "NHL tour" that Ledecky did seeing all the arenas/meeting with other executives back when they first bought the team led them to realize that snow needs to go and someone much more competent needs to be in charge. That led them to Lou, but not for a second should we believe that Malkin is micromanaging Lou, and that the moves Lou makes are Malkin's idea. He wants to make money and the mall being built right now will enable him to make a lot of it. I assume he also wants the Isles to win, but he's left it up to Lou to do that. I wonder if Malkin knows what to do next when many of the players in the lineup continue to age and fade and the team starts to do the same...
Nobody said micromanaging. Lou most certainly was given some direction in the beginning such as budgetary preference and plans for the future. Like you said, Malkin is a businessman, that's how businessmen run businesses. That's not micromanagement.

I don't think he would have bought a hockey team if he didn't know the difference between trying to win now or not being competitive while you build a team for the future.

Lastly, no matter what hockey is for you, it's still categorized as entertainment. My teams (Isles, Ravens, Orioles) never win anything. 99% of fans' teams don't win. The winning doesn't decide my enjoyment, the actual game does.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So obviously having Lambert try to implement an up tempo system was a mistake. But I still think that is Lou’s goal. So Roy was brought in now for 2 reasons. One, to start properly implementing a new system and two to see which players can adapt and which players can not. I think we will see players moved in the off-season. I think the rest of this season may be an evaluation period.
I hope he uses this as an evaluation period and doesn't trade the first.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
IMG_2217.jpeg

No need to read this fellow Isles fans.

The answer is that those teams schedule a game with the Isles on the second leg of their b2b.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
This will get old quickly.

Hopefully we'll see that burst of energy soon. 3-3-2 so far...

Seriously?
I do. Ledecky was talking about getting the all star game and how the way to do that was by winning games. The outdoor game is the type of event with all eyes watching that would be an impetus for change if it doesn't go well, especially on top of the underachieving season they are having.

Whatever the circumstances are of Lou's departure, you will never see him actually "fired." Lou will announce he is giving up the GM's job and the Islanders will frame it as his decision.
That still works for me.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The team needs to go on a run and a win at the Stadium Series may give the team a good first step towards that with 28 games left in the season. Very little room for error.

There are 9 games left to the deadline and if we continue to see two steps forward and two steps back, then I assume Isles stand pat and reevaluate the roster at the end of the season.
There won't be any selling maybe someone like Bortuzzo, Clutterbuck, and Reilly.

A 7-2 run before the deadline puts the team right back into the 3rd spot in the Metro.
  • Rangers - W
  • @ pens - W
  • @ Blues - W
  • TBY - W
  • @ Dall - L
  • @ DET - W
  • BOS - L
  • Blues - W
  • @ SJ - W

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
The team needs to go on a run and a win at the Stadium Series may give the team a good first step towards that with 28 games left in the season. Very little room for error.

There are 9 games left to the deadline and if we continue to see two steps forward and two steps back, then I assume Isles stand pat and reevaluate the roster at the end of the season.
There won't be any selling maybe someone like Bortuzzo, Clutterbuck, and Reilly.

A 7-2 run before the deadline puts the team right back into the 3rd spot in the Metro.
  • Rangers - W
  • @ pens - W
  • @ Blues - W
  • TBY - W
  • @ Dall - L
  • @ DET - W
  • BOS - L
  • Blues - W
  • @ SJ - W
I applaud your optimism! I will be shocked if we win seven of the next 9 based upon how this team has played to date. But, it is possible,

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I applaud your optimism! I will be shocked if we win seven of the next 9 based upon how this team has played to date. But, it is possible,

Yeah, that's a hell of a run to go on, and one that I'm not sure this team can string together. Lou may have no choice but to wait until the deadline to determine what kind of move, if any, that he makes this year.

Reactions: MJF

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Lee won’t give up the “C”, he should be traded. What does his buyout look like?

He was absolutely the right guy at the time when Tavares left, but in my opinion he is no longer the right leader for the team.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
If Lee won’t give up the “C”, he should be traded. What does his buyout look like?

He was absolutely the right guy at the time when Tavares left, but in my opinion he is no longer the right leader for the team.
Agreed. The team needs to move on from the Lee/Nelson/Martin/Clutterbuck leadership group and finally hand the keys to Barzal/Horvat. It’s time…things have gotten so stale.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Also I’ve said this before but I’ll reiterate it here, there are NO other teams in professional sports that have as many guys on their roster from 10+ years ago without winning a single championship or even making it to the finals. Why we continue to have this undying faith in these guys blows my mind. No other team does this.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

• Rangers - W
  • @ pens - W
  • @ Blues - W
  • TBY - W
  • @ Dall - L
  • @ DET - W
  • BOS - L
  • Blues - W
  • @ SJ - W
I'd keep Reilly long term. He's been one of their best players.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Also I’ve said this before but I’ll reiterate it here, there are NO other teams in professional sports that have as many guys on their roster from 10+ years ago without winning a single championship or even making it to the finals. Why we continue to have this undying faith in these guys blows my mind. No other team does this.
Thank you! I've been saying this for years. We should not have this many players here who date back to Jack Capuano without a thing to show for it.

Why Lou committed and re-committed to those guys is beyond me.

I'd keep Reilly long term. He's been one of their best players.
I'm not averse to that. He does what Aho does, only better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad