Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I’m with you on most of your post, but I’m a bit more critical regarding Palmieri. He deserves credit for having good playoff numbers with the Isles, but frankly his playoff numbers prior to that time with Anaheim and Jersey were not very good. I don’t think of him as an exceptionally clutch playoff performer but rather as a guy who had a nice run. We caught lightning in a bottle. That’s great but he’s not that same guy anymore. Now we’re stuck with an overpaid player on the downside of his career. Although it’s a much malaligned stat, he’s also the worst plus minus player on the team this season.

Pageau is another player that’s clearly aging before our eyes but like you, I still see him as an asset and a player I’m happy to have if we were to make the playoffs. He’s just overpaid at this point in his career. I can live with it for a while longer.
And that’s fair.

I always thought a good salary comparable for Mayfield was Josh Manson, he’s on a 4x18, but was on a 4x16.4 before that.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
I don't separate 'playoff contender' and 'cup contender'. Those terms are one and the same in my eyes. Making it to the playoffs means you are a cup contender. There's been too many times throughout history where teams haven't looked like what you would categorize as a cup contender, and win it all. Also plenty of years the cup contenders lose in the first round. I don't call this rose colored glasses or being optimistic, just the simple fact that in sports, anything can happen in the playoffs. If Tortorella gets the Flyers to the playoffs, they will be cup contenders (again, my definition). Trying to separate cup contenders from playoff contenders is a bit too crystal ballish for me.
It isn't about a crystal ball, it's about recognizing whether the team you are putting on the ice is actually talented enough and mentally tough enough to make it through regardless of what you're regular season record is. Your citation of Philadelphia is the perfect example. Despite their record, if they aren't sellers at the deadline, or making hockey trades with an eye towards keeping on track with their rebuild, then they are idiots and all they would be doing is setting back their chances of being a true contender in the future for the short term sugar high of "making the playoffs". It is the kind of thinking that makes a perennial "playoff contender" into "never the real thing".

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I’m with you on most of your post, but I’m a bit more critical regarding Palmieri. He deserves credit for having good playoff numbers with the Isles, but frankly his playoff numbers prior to that time with Anaheim and Jersey were not very good. I don’t think of him as an exceptionally clutch playoff performer but rather as a guy who had a nice run. We caught lightning in a bottle. That’s great but he’s not that same guy anymore. Now we’re stuck with an overpaid player on the downside of his career. Although it’s a much malaligned stat, he’s also the worst plus minus player on the team this season.

Pageau is another player that’s clearly aging before our eyes but like you, I still see him as an asset and a player I’m happy to have if we were to make the playoffs. He’s just overpaid at this point in his career. I can live with it for a while longer.
These are deals that are expiring soon also, Palmieri still will score 20+ this year and fits the PP well. He also puts in the work every night, he isn’t a floater. He’s extremely streaky which is the negative with him. Pageau also is overpaid but problem is good luck finding anyone currently here to do what he does and he just turns it up a few notches in playoffs. They could move him, someone would take him and if isles ate some salary we could get a premium pick back I’d bet but again it opens huge hole on this team currently. I’m betting they bet on this group to get in, if they do or don’t I think they explore buying out Lee if they can’t trade him this off-season and retool it. Cap wise I don’t see any major acquisitions for this group this year.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
These are deals that are expiring soon also, Palmieri still will score 20+ this year and fits the PP well. He also puts in the work every night, he isn’t a floater. He’s extremely streaky which is the negative with him. Pageau also is overpaid but problem is good luck finding anyone currently here to do what he does and he just turns it up a few notches in playoffs. They could move him, someone would take him and if isles ate some salary we could get a premium pick back I’d bet but again it opens huge hole on this team currently. I’m betting they bet on this group to get in, if they do or don’t I think they explore buying out Lee if they can’t trade him this off-season and retool it. Cap wise I don’t see any major acquisitions for this group this year.
Unfortunately, until Lou concedes that those players are not getting it done anymore, he considers them, Lee, the 4th line, Nelson, etc a part of the core he is committed to. I doubt he tries to move or buy out any of them.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I would agree they are focused on getting into the playoffs. By that time, they will have had 35+ games with Roy.

I do not believe, despite him being ostracized, Roy signs up for ‘rebuild’ with the Isles. If he got 3 years, then his motivation is maximize the roster with Lou continuing to carve it out.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Unfortunately, until Lou concedes that those players are not getting it done anymore, he considers them, Lee, the 4th line, Nelson, etc a part of the core he is committed to. I doubt he tries to move or buy out any of them.
:pout:😢

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I can imagine him disagreeing on Nelson (I think NYI should deal him), but I really can't fathom why NYI wouldn't buy out Palmieri (assuming they can't deal him). Palmieri can't even get the puck to center ice to chip & change reliably.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I would agree they are focused on getting into the playoffs. By that time, they will have had 35+ games with Roy.

I do not believe, despite him being ostracized, Roy signs up for ‘rebuild’ with the Isles. If he got 3 years, then his motivation is maximize the roster with Lou continuing to carve it out.
Yeah I agree Roy is not here to rebuild but I’m sure there will be changes to some core as they get guys who fit system better. I like Lee, good captain and still can play but not sure he can play puck possession system but we will find out rest of year. They’ve got 13 games before trade deadline, I’d imagine they need 20 points or so to stay in it. If they don’t achieve that I could see some moves with core players. Nelson, Palmieri and Pageau could all garner interest at differing levels of return. As fan I hope they win all 13 and go on a run, I’m not all that excited about missing playoffs and retooling tbh. i rather watch playoff hockey but we will see.

Reactions: BrockLobster

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
NYI do not make it to 2 ECF's without Pageau. The deal he's on isn't fun, but I don't regret it. All teams deal with stuff like that.

The Palmieri trade was a mistake, and the contract was a bigger one.

Lou picked up one of "his guys".

And we can all bet our bottom dollar that he did so already knowing he was going to expose Eberle and Bailey in the expansion draft, just about certain that one of them would be taken (as they were among the best players earning 5+ million for a franchise that still had to get to the cap floor), thus opening up the dough to re-sign Palms.

So, we can all basically assume that Lou was fully ready to sacrifice a Bailey or Eberle to keep Palms the entire time.

And that's what happened.

In hindsight, a shame for us that it wasn't the slightly cheaper Bailey who got selected.

Reactions: Potvottier and MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yeah I agree Roy is not here to rebuild but I’m sure there will be changes to some core as they get guys who fit system better. I like Lee, good captain and still can play but not sure he can play puck possession system but we will find out rest of year. They’ve got 13 games before trade deadline, I’d imagine they need 20 points or so to stay in it. If they don’t achieve that I could see some moves with core players. Nelson, Palmieri and Pageau could all garner interest at differing levels of return. As fan I hope they win all 13 and go on a run, I’m not all that excited about missing playoffs and retooling tbh. i rather watch playoff hockey but we will see.
On the point today, they talked about how the deadline might result in plan Bs since there’s very little UFAs available. Plan Bs would be teams wanting to make a deal, but with 1-2 years of term left.

Made me think the NHL and PA might move up the deadline earlier in the season since there’s minimal UFAs now and also teams seem to want more ‘value’ out of the acquired player to acquiesce to their new team before the playoffs.

Anyway, long thought, but they mentioned Giroux on OTT as a Plan B guy. Tarasenko is 100% gone.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
On the point today, they talked about how the deadline might result in plan Bs since there’s very little UFAs available. Plan Bs would be teams wanting to make a deal, but with 1-2 years of term left.

Made me think the NHL and PA might move up the deadline earlier in the season since there’s minimal UFAs now and also teams seem to want more ‘value’ out of the acquired player to acquiesce to their new team before the playoffs.

Anyway, long thought, but they mentioned Giroux on OTT as a Plan B guy. Tarasenko is 100% gone.
Sens fan comming in peace (mostly). I've seen that Staios is scouting the game between you guys and the Leafs and could see Lou dealing with him. Just curious if your team is looking for a top 4 LHD, it's either that or a 50% retained Senko.

Also to whoever said Giroux is plan B, good f***ing luck bud. Your talking a 1st and a good prospect+, he's 36 and still killing it most nights, very close to PPG.

I'm wondering if Mayfield is tradeable or if that opens up a huge hole. That'd be a trade for Chychrun, you know how Lou loves his big splashes. It's either that or 1st+Pageau+ (cap reasons, was rumored in the summer for Debrindicat). Cheers

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Sens fan comming in peace (mostly). I've seen that Staios is scouting the game between you guys and the Leafs and could see Lou dealing with him. Just curious if your team is looking for a top 4 LHD, it's either that or a 50% retained Senko.

Also to whoever said Giroux is plan B, good f***ing luck bud. Your talking a 1st and a good prospect+, he's 36 and still killing it most nights, very close to PPG.

I'm wondering if Mayfield is tradeable or if that opens up a huge hole. That'd be a trade for Chychrun, you know how Lou loves his big splashes. It's either that or 1st+Pageau+ (cap reasons, was rumored in the summer for Debrindicat). Cheers
You had me at Mayfield.

Reactions: wasthere7980

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You had me at Mayfield.
That’s wishful thinking on your part.

Chychrun is going to walk right into UFA and choose his destination a la Duchene/Vanek/etc. in less than 24 months.

I can’t see Lou trading a loyal soldier that he re-signed less than 12 months ago for a guy that will have one foot out the door and doesn’t even kill penalties.

A guy who was named the permanent GM a month and a half ago taking in a game is more likely him just familiarizing himself with the teams than it is to do with trades.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
You had me at Mayfield.

That’s wishful thinking on your part.

Chychrun is going to walk right into UFA and choose his destination a la Duchene/Vanek/etc. in less than 24 months.

I can’t see Lou trading a loyal soldier that he re-signed less than 12 months ago for a guy that will have one foot out the door and doesn’t even kill penalties.

A guy who was named the permanent GM a month and a half ago taking in a game is more likely him just familiarizing himself with the teams than it is to do with trades.
You give me too much credit. It was just a joke.

I still wish Lou had never signed Mayfield. That’s no joke.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
There are plenty of things I would like to happen in a dream world, like getting Hanifin, but in the real world if we make just one move, my wish list would be one of Tarasenko, Vatrano or Eberle.
Then we look like this:
Tank/Vatrano/Ebs - Horvat - Barzal
Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
Lee - Pageau - Holmstrom
Martin/Maclean - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Perfectly fine with that heading into the stretch run/hopefully the playoffs.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Lebrun just put out an article where he talked to Lou about the Isles and the TDL. Nothing groundbreaking of course, but FWIW Lebrun said the Isles are looking to add up front and he’d be very surprised if they didn’t make a move before the deadline.

Reactions: xECK29x

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
100%. Big part of the early success and was a threat all night last night.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Lebrun just put out an article where he talked to Lou about the Isles and the TDL. Nothing groundbreaking of course, but FWIW Lebrun said the Isles are looking to add up front and he’d be very surprised if they didn’t make a move before the deadline.
I don’t know how they are going to accomplish it cap wise without trading someone off the team, I mean to get Cizikas off LTIR Maclean needs to go down and they need to get rid of one of the extra D probably. Bortuzzo also would come back and they will barely have room to activate him. Trading someone like Pageau opens space but then also opens different hole in lineup. Unless Lou does something shocking like Pageau, maybe Lee etc I don’t see how they do anything really.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
I don’t know how they are going to accomplish it cap wise without trading someone off the team, I mean to get Cizikas off LTIR Maclean needs to go down and they need to get rid of one of the extra D probably. Bortuzzo also would come back and they will barely have room to activate him. Trading someone like Pageau opens space but then also opens different hole in lineup. Unless Lou does something shocking like Pageau, maybe Lee etc I don’t see how they do anything really.
Meh, if teams really want to add they usually find a way to make it work. Is there anyone available who will truly move the needle for this group is the question.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Meh, if teams really want to add they usually find a way to make it work. Is there anyone available who will truly move the needle for this group is the question.

Here are all the top point getting UFAs to be. I don't see much.

1707255660536.png

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
They could probably figure out a way to fit in a Vatrano or Duclair under the cap. Any chance/interest in trading for a guy like Frost with Philly? Not sure if he could play on the wing now and maybe down the line he replaces Nelson? Just throwing out a thought since I see him on "possibly available" lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad