Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
People need to stop calling Gauthier skilled. He's just fast, he's not skilled. His passing, shooting and IQ are all below NHL level. Being a speed skater in an ice hockey game does not make you skilled. I'd actually take Martin here because at least when he gets to the right spot from time to time it actually results in agitation and turnovers and sometimes scoring opportunities. Gauthier just makes the defense back up which could be beneficial if he knew what to do with the puck.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
People need to stop calling Gauthier skilled. He's just fast, he's not skilled. His passing, shooting and IQ are all below NHL level. Being a speed skater in an ice hockey game does not make you skilled. I'd actually take Martin here because at least when he gets to the right spot from time to time it actually results in agitation and turnovers and sometimes scoring opportunities. Gauthier just makes the defense back up which could be beneficial if he knew what to do with the puck.

Here's what's really scary to think about...

Gauthier's hockey IQ is very low and Wahlstrom's raw talent is 10 times what his is...Yet he can't get anywhere near a regular spot in the lineup compared to a guy the team was willing to simply drop.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Here's what's really scary to think about...

Gauthier's hockey IQ is very low and Wahlstrom's raw talent is 10 times what his is...Yet he can't get anywhere near a regular spot in the lineup compared to a guy the team was willing to simply drop.
I don't understand the coaching staff's reluctance on using Wahlstrom. When Wahlstrom is in the lineup, he doesn't sulk. I don't see any outward signs of being uncoachable. Either something behind the scenes, or he just doesn't have a fit in this team. Not good enough for top 2 lines, not responsible enough defensively for bottom 2.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I don't understand the coaching staff's reluctance on using Wahlstrom. When Wahlstrom is in the lineup, he doesn't sulk. I don't see any outward signs of being uncoachable. Either something behind the scenes, or he just doesn't have a fit in this team. Not good enough for top 2 lines, not responsible enough defensively for bottom 2.
His skating is horrible , no mobility with no speed is just a liability

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Now if only all this talk about considering a Nelson trade (which I agree with) had been extended to Mayfield at last year’s TDL.

I’ll add Varly to those same thoughts about Mayfield at last year’s TDL. That is probably not a popular position here right now but I’ll hold fast on it. Varly could’ve returned a second round pick and we wouldn’t have his 4 year NTC on our books now. Yes we would’ve had a huge hole filling our back up goalie position but the risk in inserting a potentially lesser player at that position would’ve been worth it.

Has Varly been good this year? Yes but he’s also been injured. No big shocker there. He’s old by goalie standards and between the potential for even more injuries and age related performance decline I believe that deal will be looked at differently quite soon. They should’ve grabbed an asset for him at the TDL even if it was used in another deal for a younger NHL ready player.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Agree, but when you trade a 1st round pick for any player I'd actually like them to be worth 6M (or more).

When you keep trading all of your picks, eventually you run out of young, talented, and cost controlled players to add to the roster. Than you are left with overpaid 30+ year old players all over the roster and gives you minimal money to get star players.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Now if only all this talk about considering a Nelson trade (which I agree with) had been extended to Mayfield at last year’s TDL.

I’ll add Varly to those same thoughts about Mayfield at last year’s TDL. That is probably not a popular position here right now but I’ll hold fast on it. Varly could’ve returned a second round pick and we wouldn’t have his 4 year NTC on our books now. Yes we would’ve had a huge hole filling our back up goalie position but the risk in inserting a potentially lesser player at that position would’ve been worth it.

Has Varly been good this year? Yes but he’s also been injured. No big shocker there. He’s old by goalie standards and between the potential for even more injuries and age related performance decline I believe that deal will be looked at differently quite soon. They should’ve grabbed an asset for him at the TDL even if it was used in another deal for a younger NHL ready player.
A few of us were screaming trade mayfield and varly from the mountaintops..

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
A top 4 damn for a first round pick? Seems like a nice return, let alone taking 100% of the risk on developing that pick over 5 years.

Huh? Not sure what this even means in relation to what I wrote.

any idea what happened to Casey?...

Maybe he's just like...Really, really embarrassed.

When you keep trading all of your picks, eventually you run out of young, talented, and cost controlled players to add to the roster. Than you are left with overpaid 30+ year old players all over the roster and gives you minimal money to get star players.

• Haha
Reactions: WangMustGo

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
So Zeeker and Bortuzzo to LTIR. Both have more serious injuries than I originally thought.

I hope this is more about us having to do some cap gymnastics with Pulock coming back and that Casey coming back is not that far off (he was week to week IIRC). Will have to create some cap space when he is ready and either put someone on waivers or make another roster move.

Last edited:

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017

I think a lot of people wanted Mayfield and Varly dealt last season. Lou has issues with letting aging players go. The only “easy” turnover is Clutter,Martin, Reilly, and Aho this offseason. All 3 should be allowed to walk.

Dealing Nelson this year would show Lou cares more about the long term instead of himself. Getting rid of one of Cizikas or JGP would be nice as well but they both likely have negative value

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I think a lot of people wanted Mayfield and Varly dealt last season. Lou has issues with letting aging players go. The only “easy” turnover is Clutter,Martin, Reilly, and Aho this offseason. All 3 should be allowed to walk.

Dealing Nelson this year would show Lou cares more about the long term instead of himself. Getting rid of one of Cizikas or JGP would be nice as well but they both likely have negative value
Cizikas to Toronto might work without losing assets. Maybe we take salary back for a year or two.

He’s a local boy and frankly would be a good fit for them.

Reactions: MJF

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Yikes, that’s sad. You can’t even be bothered to count Aho as an actual player! :sarcasm:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don’t think Lou has an affinity for aging players per se. I think it’s that those are players he identifies as part of his team’s core. The 2021 team that he fell in love with. I think Lou lost his perspective at that point. That’s why he’s been reluctant to move on from so many of those players.

The more I think about it the more I’m surprised that Lou moved on from Josh Bailey before his contract expired.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Wouldn’t MacLean going back down create the cap space to activate Cizikas?
Likely
But the idea of trading Casey and playing Maclean might be on the docket if we don't go on a run.
Toronto wouldn't be a good fit because they don't have anyone we could take back for a year.
It can't be a retained Casey either.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
What you wrote is true, however it doesn't really apply to a discussion of the Romanov trade since he was 21 and cost-controlled at the time of the trade.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Yikes, that’s sad. You can’t even be bothered to count Aho as an actual player! :sarcasm:
I forgot Reilly originally and edited him in but it works !

Likely
But the idea of trading Casey and playing Maclean might be on the docket if we don't go on a run.
Toronto wouldn't be a good fit because they don't have anyone we could take back for a year.
It can't be a retained Casey either.
I like the idea of moving on from country club Casey. He has gave his all for a lot of years but dealing him would free up cap space and break up some of the old boys club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad