Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Would be surprised if the Hawks don't grab him. Former first rounder still youngish and has one superpower that plays in any league. Always did want to see him in a role with Barzal and Horvat causing havoc
Gauthier's issue is that he's so inconsistent. some games he'll be everywhere, the next he's getting beaten around like a ghost

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Didn't someone post something saying Pulock could be coming back sooner than we thought? Also Cizikas and Bortuzzo on IR.

Or, maybe Roy went to the BP game the other night and saw someone he liked.

FWIW, I'm getting the vibe that Roy likes guys who are comfortable with the puck on their stick. Gauthier does not fall in that category.

Was thinking the same. Would feel "verified" if an Isk or Dufour would be called up next week.

But I'd think that more likely - if it has to do with any wishes Roy might have - is that Roy may have assessed that he'd like to work in Wahlstrom more while the near return of both Cizikas and Pulock is foreseeable.

As for Gauthier, I can totally see him making it through waivers. I mean, I can also see him being taken, but he does have a 2-year contract and this is the 3rd team he's been on where he's not been able to solidify a regular role on the team.

Clear is, Lou is not afraid to lose him if it comes to that.

Reactions: doublechili

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
1706914227897.png
I don't feel well.

I'll tell what Lou could do to get me real excited about both this season and the future...

He could send Nelson and say Aho and Iskhakov to Colorado for Girard, O'Connor, Ritchie, Behrens, and the '24 1st rounder.

Then he could turn around and send that COL 1st and Wahlstrom to Anaheim for Henrique, Helleson, and Colangelo.

For the here and now:
Out - Nelson, Aho, Wahlstrom
In - Henrique, Girard, O'Connor

Adjacent benefits:
- Keep our own 1st rounder
- Ritchie becomes the top forward prospect
- Helleson a big righty on ELC who may shorten Mayfield's lease on the 3rd RHD spot within 2 seasons
- NCAAers Colangelo and Behrens enhance organizational depth of players with the same kind of NHL possibilities as guys like Nelson, Finley, and Jefferies.

Sure, no doubt, you'd be sending out the best player in the deal in Nelson for the here and now. But something like this would just let Islanderville know that some form of realistic assessments have been made and an earnest step towards reshaping the overall outlook without theoretically skipping much of a beat is being attempted.

Just "thoughts" in a vast void between Islander games...

And it's after midnight of a Friday where I'm at...

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I'll tell what Lou could do to get me real excited about both this season and the future...

He could send Nelson and say Aho and Iskhakov to Colorado for Girard, O'Connor, Ritchie, Behrens, and the '24 1st rounder.

Then he could turn around and send that COL 1st and Wahlstrom to Anaheim for Henrique, Helleson, and Colangelo.

For the here and now:

Adjacent benefits:
- Helleson a big righty on ELC who may shorten Mayfield's lease on the 3rd RHD spot within 2 seasons
- NCAAers Colangelo and Behrens enhance organizational depth of players with the same kind of NHL possibilities as guys like Nelson, Finley, and Jefferies.

Sure, no doubt, you'd be sending out the best player in the deal in Nelson for the here and now. But something like this would just let Islanderville know that some form of realistic assessments have been made and an earnest step towards reshaping the overall outlook without theoretically skipping much of a beat is being attempted.

Interesting thought but IMO - I want nothing to do with Henrique or Girard. You are on the right track. I think the most sense dealing Nelson would probably be Colorado. Not unless Ottawa wants to get involved (wishful thinking).

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

For the here and now:

Adjacent benefits:

cheers

but i think a trade for getting Nelson to Colorado is...a bad idea. if we wanna keep competing then trading Nelson is bad. If we want to rebuild, then its a good idea. depends how much you feel about the idea IMO. O'Connor and Ritchie would be breathes of fresh air either way. Problem also lies with the desperation of a team like Colorado. Do they really want to see Ross Colton as their 2C come playoff time? Do the isles think they can still be competitive come March? Thats what we have to think.

Reactions: beach

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
cheers

but i think a trade for getting Nelson to Colorado is...a bad idea. if we wanna keep competing then trading Nelson is bad. If we want to rebuild, then its a good idea. depends how much you feel about the idea IMO. O'Connor and Ritchie would be breathes of fresh air either way.

In addition to just seeing Lou do something for the future while not giving up on the here and now, the reason a set of moves like the ones stated would have me excited is because the team would be changing on the fly, thus remaining every bit as competitive as it is now, while adding somewhat considerably to the outlook within the system and also keeping that doggone 1st rounder for the first time in 5 years.

Ipso facto, there'd be no rebuild here.

Henrique is only slightly older than Nelson and basically has the same amount of points this season, even if Nelson is clearly more valuable. He basically earns as much, but is a soon-to-be UFA, so knowing Lou, you'd have to think he'd re-sign his former draftee for 2-3 years on an extremely reasonable deal, one making a good bit less than Nelson and the overpayment Henrique was given to be in Anaheim.

Granted, O'Connor is a personal fave of mine, but I think he'd absolutely smash it on our current 3rd line.

Girard would be a CLEAR upgrade to the similarly sized Aho. No discussion there. And the obvious blueliner for PP unit 2. He also has experience playing on either side and I bet he could be a net plus for Bolduc's development.

The base core of Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, and Sorokin goes untouched. They're still what you build around.

All this said, Nelson's 6 MM hit next season would then be off the books, but Girard earns 5 MM and re-signing Henrique would likely cost 3 MM too, even after any magic Lou could work. There'd be a ton of money wrapped up on the blueline, so a further move may need to be made (here's looking at Pulock and Pelech). O'Connor only earns 200 k more than Wahlstrom and is signed through next season.

Problem also lies with the desperation of a team like Colorado. Do they really want to see Ross Colton as their 2C come playoff time? Do the isles think they can still be competitive come March? Thats what we have to think.

I think there's very good reason to believe Colorado would be highly interested in Nelson, moreso than anyone else. But they cannot just send over futures. They need to move some salary back in the process. Thus the chosen suggestion.

We know Anaheim has no reason to keep Henrique, but they're absolutely JACKED on the prospect front. They can't sign 'em all. They'll want that first because they know it's market value. But they don't need other futures, thus I'm thinking they'd be much more interested in spending the last three months of this season seeing if Wahlstrom could be the kind of future goalscorer for all those upcoming playmakers out there worth re-signing this summer on what should still be a very affordable contract. They'd get to move two contracts for one now and Colangelo, who is a guy they might not even sign, isn't even top ten among there prospect forwards there.

Thus, the reasoning behind 'em.

These are just examples though. I'd love to see what a team like Ottawa could offer.

Or if Boston might jump into the Nelson bidding, with a future 1st & 2nd and Poitras being the starting point of any deal.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Or if Boston might jump into the Nelson bidding, with a future 1st & 2nd and Poitras being the starting point of any deal.
Some notes here

Boston is not gonna deal Poitras away. I doubt that kid gets traded away at all when he played very well in his small sample size. The other thing is about O'Connor, and he means a lot to the third line for the Avalanche. Very good player. It really just comes down to who wants Nelson, and if Lou is committed to this idea.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
In addition to just seeing Lou do something for the future while not giving up on the here and now, the reason a set of moves like the ones stated would have me excited is because the team would be changing on the fly, thus remaining every bit as competitive as it is now, while adding somewhat considerably to the outlook within the system and also keeping that doggone 1st rounder for the first time in 5 years.

Ipso facto, there'd be no rebuild here.

Henrique is only slightly older than Nelson and basically has the same amount of points this season, even if Nelson is clearly more valuable. He basically earns as much, but is a soon-to-be UFA, so knowing Lou, you'd have to think he'd re-sign his former draftee for 2-3 years on an extremely reasonable deal, one making a good bit less than Nelson and the overpayment Henrique was given to be in Anaheim.

Granted, O'Connor is a personal fave of mine, but I think he'd absolutely smash it on our current 3rd line.

Girard would be a CLEAR upgrade to the similarly sized Aho. No discussion there. And the obvious blueliner for PP unit 2. He also has experience playing on either side and I bet he could be a net plus for Bolduc's development.

The base core of Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, and Sorokin goes untouched. They're still what you build around.

All this said, Nelson's 6 MM hit next season would then be off the books, but Girard earns 5 MM and re-signing Henrique would likely cost 3 MM too, even after any magic Lou could work. There'd be a ton of money wrapped up on the blueline, so a further move may need to be made (here's looking at Pulock and Pelech). O'Connor only earns 200 k more than Wahlstrom and is signed through next season.

I think there's very good reason to believe Colorado would be highly interested in Nelson, moreso than anyone else. But they cannot just send over futures. They need to move some salary back in the process. Thus the chosen suggestion.

We know Anaheim has no reason to keep Henrique, but they're absolutely JACKED on the prospect front. They can't sign 'em all. They'll want that first because they know it's market value. But they don't need other futures, thus I'm thinking they'd be much more interested in spending the last three months of this season seeing if Wahlstrom could be the kind of future goalscorer for all those upcoming playmakers out there worth re-signing this summer on what should still be a very affordable contract. They'd get to move two contracts for one now and Colangelo, who is a guy they might not even sign, isn't even top ten among there prospect forwards there.

Thus, the reasoning behind 'em.

These are just examples though. I'd love to see what a team like Ottawa could offer.

I like what you are thinking and definitely don't feel dealing Nelson is a rebuild move. It's certainly more just a retool and a move like you suggested is a good example of that.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I like what you are thinking and definitely don't feel dealing Nelson is a rebuild move. It's certainly more just a retool and a move like you suggested is a good example of that.
but, Nelson is a very good 2C. Its a very coveted position.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The problem with Lou is he likes to hang on to players forever. Nelson should have very good trade value right now. Running back the same older roster every year won’t cut it
Would it hurt to keep him but revamp the bottom 6 and add in a top flight winger? Hell there is a reality the islanders can get into a bidding war for Lindholm and trade Nelson. I want them to do whats right, end of. If that means trading Nelson, then lets do it. If it means holding onto Brock but trading Pageau to lets say a team like Arizona or St.Louis because they believe they need a 3C, then lets do that. Islanders entire deadline depends on how they play this month. Everything matters on if they win, or are out of the race in a very crappy Metro.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Was taking a look at our cap situation in 2 years. Even if we're up to 90M by then we're in a tough spot.

We have $61,550,000 tied up in 6 forwards, 3 defensemen, and both goalies. This is before signing Dobson (11M-ish? that's what Dahlin got) and Romanov (thinking something between Pelech and Pulock so 6M). Throw in another 4M for Holmstrom, Wahlstrom, and Bolduc and we're at $82,550,000 or about 7.5M in cap space...without an entire second line, a fourth line winger, or any extras. Lee and Pageau will be in their final year then and have modified NTCs, so maybe you can move one them off the squad for a second and third. Still, that gives you about 13M for a whole second line + a first line winger or 3rd line center.

I think Lou probably sees that our best window ends after the Dobson, Nelson and Romanov contracts are up which is why he's going to add this year and next. Right now my money is on us adding Tarasenko for a second this season, and that may have something to do with the Gauthier demotion. Tarasenko fills a lot of Lou criteria - he's a Russian vet with a ring, and given our cap commitments for next year and beyond I don't think he can aim at a player with an extension in mind without moving out an impact player

Reactions: Potvottier

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Julien Gauthier cleared waivers. I’m looking forward to seeing him in Bridgeport next weekend.
I’ll guess we will see if there is another move? I think they thought it would be easier to get him through during all star break.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Cannot say I’m thrilled with Gauthier going down. He showed flashes of offense, brought speed, and he’s an extra body.

The only upside I see is giving Wahlstrom a chance under a new set of eyes.

Reactions: Potvottier

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Cannot say I’m thrilled with Gauthier going down. He showed flashes of offense, brought speed, and he’s an extra body.

The only upside I see is giving Wahlstrom a chance under a new set of eyes.
He’s 26 and on his 4th nhl team. His flashes are who he is at this point. He’s a tweener, good as a fill in, but nothing more.

Lou signed him to a 2yr one way deal, no team is touching that - the reason Lou probably gave that to him, so he stays in the Isles org vs having to get other random strays.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
He’s 26 and on his 4th nhl team. His flashes are who he is at this point. He’s a tweener, good as a fill in, but nothing more.

Lou signed him to a 2yr one way deal, no team is touching that - the reason Lou probably gave that to him, so he stays in the Isles org vs having to get other random strays.

He’s a a better fit than Martin on the 4th line. This team needs every ounce of skill and speed, even at the bottom 6’s. It’s not a needle mover; I just do not like subtracting speed when it will be filled by slower players.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He’s a a better fit than Martin on the 4th line. This team needs every ounce of skill and speed, even at the bottom 6’s. It’s not a needle mover; I just do not like subtracting speed when it will be filled by slower players.
Sure, he’s faster than Martin, but he’s clueless on 85% of the other part of the game. 4 nhl teams have figured that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad