Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We’ve seen 150+ games of Aho getting ragdolled all over the ice, but we’re going to assume he’s turned a corner because he strung 5 ok performances together in January? Pass. He doesn’t get minutes on a contender.
Until Aho actually contributes to the offense, his physical shortcomings on the defensive side of his game outweighs all else.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
We’ve seen 150+ games of Aho getting ragdolled all over the ice, but we’re going to assume he’s turned a corner because he strung 5 ok performances together in January? Pass. He doesn’t get minutes on a contender.
I don't think anyone has said he has for sure turned the corner, just that he has shown some encouraging signs lately. And if this type of play becomes the norm consistently, he absolutely would be a legit NHL 6/7 dman.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Until Aho actually contributes to the offense, his physical shortcomings on the defensive side of his game outweighs all else.
It’s ironic because the offensive side of his game has been his calling card. You do see flashes of puck handling skill but it hasn’t amounted to much of anything with a pretty decent sample size.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
With almost 2/3 of our regular season behind us it’s so so comforting to know that only the Blue Jackets, Blackhawks, Ducks, and Sharks have less wins than the Elmont Loserpoints hockey club .

Only a few week till pitchers and catchers

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Hopefully you're not a Mets fan.
Long Island Ducks

All seats are great, free parking, easy in and out , no lines, affordable food, player make less $ than I do, can attend an entire season for the price of one game in the Bronx or flushing …Now that’s real baseball

Reactions: Isles72

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I guess the long break made people forget how bad Bolduc and Aho are. This love fest reminds me of Matt Donovan

Aho and Bolduc are vastly different players to me. I see no upside in Aho. He is a worse skater than Bolduc, smaller, and does not have a more positive impact on the game than Bortuzzo does. Bolduc on the other hand has some potential.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
With almost 2/3 of our regular season behind us it’s so so comforting to know that only the Blue Jackets, Blackhawks, Ducks, and Sharks have less wins than the Elmont Loserpoints hockey club .

Screw Baseball, Lacrosse season starts this weekend
Baseball is BORING

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
A lot of Aho love here lately.

Did someone spike the Barn Rocker brew?

I’ll stand fast with the contrarian position. This guy is not a starting NHL defenseman. He’s improved enough that he can probably fill in as a number #7 Dman.

I’m not expecting a growth spurt and his physical limitations are obvious.

How is this the contrarian position? A vast majority of fans cannot wait to send him to the AHL...Or space.

Not sure what is worse...

1. That the Isles won't suck bad enough to be able to draft an impact player.
  2. Even if they did, Lou would trade the pick.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I guess the long break made people forget how bad Bolduc and Aho are. This love fest reminds me of Matt Donovan
I mean, neither are great but you can
make the case that Aho is an NHL #6 while Bolduc is at best an NHL #7/8 who’d be better served being a #1/2 in the AHL to develop.

I can see Bolduc breaking through in a couple years as #4/5/6 if he can actually make improvements…

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island

Aho is 28 in 2 weeks. At 28 Aho is what he is. What you see is what you get. He's a 7th dman. He shouldnt be in the top 6 on the regular. Bolduc just turned 23 last month. Dman take a long time to develop. Id rather seem him eating minutes in Bridgeport but I guess they're afraid to lose him on waivers.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Aho is 28 in 2 weeks. At 28 Aho is what he is. What you see is what you get. He's a 7th dman. He shouldnt be in the top 6 on the regular. Bolduc just turned 23 last month. Dman take a long time to develop. Id rather seem him eating minutes in Bridgeport but I guess they're afraid to lose him on waivers.
No question Bolduc has more upside. Aho only has 1 1/2 seasons in the NHL under his belt though. And put up some decent numbers in the AHL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Glorydays22

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
No question Bolduc has more upside. Aho only has 1 1/2 seasons in the NHL under his belt though. And put up some decent numbers in the NHL.
I’m ok with your first 2 sentences. The last one? Cmon now. What numbers?

Aho is a team second worst -12 and he has one goal and 5 assists in 40 games. He routinely loses puck battles and positioning battles with bigger, more physical players so for me he doesn’t pass the eye test.

He’s a #7 Dman. Better than I expected but not a starter on a playoff contender.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I’m ok with your first 2 sentences. The last one? Cmon now. What numbers?

Aho is a team second worst -12 and he has one goal and 5 assists in 40 games. He routinely loses puck battles and possession battles with bigger, more physical players so for me he doesn’t pass the eye test.

He’s a #7 Dman. Better than I expected but not a starter on a playoff contender.
Oh shit - sorry. I meant AHL. LOL (fixed it now).

We're splitting hairs here now. #7 dman - I agree. But that means with an injury, he becomes #6, like now. And his last few games have been good.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Perhaps. I think his last 4 or 5 games he's been a very capable #6 defenseman. If he continues to play like that, he's a solid #7 on a legit contender.
For all the shit he gets, Aho is a perfect #7 defenseman for us just based on the fact that he can play both sides and has history paired with almost every defenseman in the roster at some point. Roy is a huge analytics guy and Aho has historically had very good behind the scenes numbers. I’d be surprised if we let him go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad