Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Would really be nice to know the status of Pulock, Pelech and Bortuzzo.

I understand the desire to know, but not sure how you can hope for this given how your GM has worked since the day he's come here. Lou thinks there's a material advantage by not sharing a stitch of information from anywhere in the organization. As if not getting a timeline on Bortuzzo will prevent opponents from scoring goals or something.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I understand the desire to know, but not sure how you can hope for this given how your GM has worked since the day he's come here. Lou thinks there's a material advantage by not sharing a stitch of information from anywhere in the organization. As if not getting a timeline on Bortuzzo will prevent opponents from scoring goals or something.
Bortuzzo prone on the ice is a better defender than the occasionally upright Aho so there's that.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If yuo guys are around...Big Apple Hockey is on Youtube and needs more Islander fans showing up. We're getting drowned out by Ranger fans.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I would definitely hold onto Bolduc. Big D take more time. And he missed some development time due to injuries and Covid to boot. Give him some time to fill out and gain experience and I actually think he can be a really good player. He's 6'4", 220lbs with good skating for his size and a good shot. Patience.

But, if the right deal came along.... :laugh:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I would definitely hold onto Bolduc. Big D take more time. And he missed some development time due to injuries and Covid to boot. Give him some time to fill out and gain experience and I actually think he can be a really good player. He's 6'4", 220lbs with good skating for his size and a good shot. Patience.

I think the negative Bolduc posts are going to look absurd by the 300 game mark. I could be an idiot but I think I am right here. There is too much skill and talent to just suck. He has size and can skate. I have noticed he has used his body more this first week that Roy has come along. IF these bigger bodied players learn how to use their body correctly watch out.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

I think the negative Bolduc posts are going to look absurd by the 300 game mark. I could be an idiot but I think I am right here. There is too much skill and talent to just suck. He has size and can skate. I have noticed he has used his body more this first week that Roy has come along. IF these bigger bodied players learn how to use their body correctly watch out.
I wouldn’t give Bolduc away. I happen to think he is going to be good. Having said that I think Bolduc will be the guy to go to get a promising young forward.

Reactions: Glorydays22

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Defenseman have to be smart regardless of all those physical tools. That's my only concern with Bolduc. He doesn't think the game fast enough. We'll see, I hope I'm wrong and you are right.

Reactions: Top Corner

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

The long and rangy d-men are all the rage in the NHL now, everyone wants them and wants a lot of them. Bolduc is essentially where Dobson was during his D+2 season where he was forced into the lineup due to injuries, Bolduc has shown flashes of brilliance and has quite a group of defensemen to learn from too. I agree about under Roy, Bolduc is more physical and has eliminated forwards from the play with some big boy aggression - 6'4 220 and can move is a load.

I also think there are some decent offensive tools too. He has a good shot and he does make some solid outlet passes with quick decisions to move it up quickly. As the game slows down for him, I think we see a big leap in play and he could give the LHD group a jolt offensively as the #2PP trigger man or maybe PPQB eventually.

Romanov has improved offensively, but is more complementary in the offensive zone to Dobson. Pelech provides no offense and Reilly is a boom or bust #6D. There is a place for Bolduc and the Isles need his cheap contract for a while and even more when Dobson and Romo get paid soon. Give him the Mayfield/Pelech first RFA cheap deals and watch it pay off big like those contracts did.

Reactions: Glory Days

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
There's literally zero reason to trade Bolduc away because you wouldn't be trading him...You'd be giving him away.

I don't hold out much hope for him, but I'd rather hold on to a lotto ticket then sell it for 20 cents.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Getting Pulock back and losing Aho is a win win.

I dunno, I think Roy has got to have been taking a liking to Aho in these early stages.

He's had him on the ice in some critical moments in recent games.

I've also noticed that Aho has had more jump and looked a bit more savvy since Roy took over. Looks like he's been trying to impress the new coach and, well, it looks like it's been working.

Bolduc has, for the most part, looked like shite. He's had some really poor play since that Montreal game.

I had thought that he'd maybe be particularly stoked by getting a French Canadian legend as a coach...

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Canucks and Flames with a huge trade. Vancouver really going for it. A player I liked in his draft year is Hoglander. Not a big kid but has some talent.

That's quite a haul for a known quantity who is having a down year and is an upcoming UFA.

A bit better than what Vancouver got for Horvat one year ago.

Granted, Kuzmenko is vastly overpaid (it was clear that last season was not going to be reproduceable) and now Calgary has to lug that contract, but aside from the standard 1st rounder they're getting, Hunter Brzustewicz has been fairly highly touted as quite a mobile Dman and is now in the midst of a season where he's got 69 points in 47 OHL games.

Just a very compact, solidly skating player with those "Adam Fox" vibes.

PS) Why are you mentioning Hoglander here? Just to point out you like him? For a second there, I thought you meant he was thrown into the deal.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I dunno, I think Roy has got to have been taking a liking to Aho in these early stages.

He's had him on the ice in some critical moments in recent games.

I've also noticed that Aho has had more jump and looked a bit more savvy since Roy took over. Looks like he's been trying to impress the new coach and, well, it looks like it's been working.

Bolduc has, for the most part, looked like shite. He's had some really poor play since that Montreal game.

I had thought that he'd maybe be particularly stoked by getting a French Canadian legend as a coach...
It looked like Bolduc's play was trending in the right direction when paired with Robert Bortuzzo. After he got hurt Bolduc's taken 2 steps backwards.

Reactions: PWJunior

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
That's quite a haul for a known quantity who is having a down year and is an upcoming UFA.

A bit better than what Vancouver got for Horvat one year ago.

Granted, Kuzmenko is vastly overpaid (it was clear that last season was not going to be reproduceable) and now Calgary has to lug that contract, but aside from the standard 1st rounder they're getting, Hunter Brzustewicz has been fairly highly touted as quite a mobile Dman and is now in the midst of a season where he's got 69 points in 47 OHL games.

Just a very compact, solidly skating player with those "Adam Fox" vibes.

PS) Why are you mentioning Hoglander here? Just to point out you like him? For a second there, I thought you meant he was thrown into the deal.
Thanks for the response. Armchair GM disclosure here. I would love to see the Isles look to acquire young and cheap talent on the wings. Possibly look to leverage and pounce on teams that are looking to go deep in the playoffs. I guess a sort of retool.

I liked Hoglander as a player and if you look at the Canucks cap situation, the OEL buyout is really going to hamper their cap situation after this season. Teams like the Stars, Jets, Panthers, Golden Knights and others are sort of on the clock now to possibly add. Just saying maybe there is an opportunity. A player like Owen Tippett flourishing in Philly is another that I can reference but the Isles do not have an expiring player like Giroux to offer. Some may say Nelson possibly next year could get a haul if things go south.

This team has many needs and not just on the wings but on the backend as well and injuries haven't helped. Things can change and of course depending on the return, I would hope this team holds onto its first round pick.

Thanks

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
I think Aho Has improved as of late, but it's probably more due to the fact that he's just adjusting. It's obviously harder for a smallish defenseman, but I think that when he plays his game, he's a decent 3rd pair. Just hook him up with some big, mobile (not Mayfield), and he will be ok.

The best scenario in my opinion, is for Bolduc to take the next step. At least start being a bit more physical. He needs to hone his defensive game, for now. Let the offense come organically. I think he can do it, he just needs some time. Even if he were to start to excel, I think we should make a small trade for a Connor Clifton type.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Canucks and Flames with a huge trade. Vancouver really going for it. A player I liked in his draft year is Hoglander. Not a big kid but has some talent.
I liked Hoglander too - he was actually the guy I was hoping the Isles would take at 23 (Hoglander ended up going to VAN at #40). In retrospect, Holmstrom was probably a better pick if nothing else based on size and the PK.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think Aho Has improved as of late, but it's probably more due to the fact that he's just adjusting. It's obviously harder for a smallish defenseman, but I think that when he plays his game, he's a decent 3rd pair. Just hook him up with some big, mobile (not Mayfield), and he will be ok.

The best scenario in my opinion, is for Bolduc to take the next step. At least start being a bit more physical. He needs to hone his defensive game, for now. Let the offense come organically. I think he can do it, he just needs some time. Even if he were to start to excel, I think we should make a small trade for a Connor Clifton type.
Agree about Aho. I see a lot of skill and some smart playmaking recently.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
A lot of Aho love here lately.

Did someone spike the Barn Rocker brew?

I’ll stand fast with the contrarian position. This guy is not a starting NHL defenseman. He’s improved enough that he can probably fill in as a number #7 Dman.

I’m not expecting a growth spurt and his physical limitations are obvious.
I like Aho, *and* I think he is not a starting NHL defenseman. Not for nothing, but it takes a **** ton of courage to do what he does with his limitations. That's why I don't love people crapping on him. He really does do his best. If bigger guys (Engvall, Mayfield, Bolduc) had his brains, and moxy they'd be excellent players.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
A lot of Aho love here lately.

Did someone spike the Barn Rocker brew?

I’ll stand fast with the contrarian position. This guy is not a starting NHL defenseman. He’s improved enough that he can probably fill in as a number #7 Dman.

I’m not expecting a growth spurt and his physical limitations are obvious.
Perhaps. I think his last 4 or 5 games he's been a very capable #6 defenseman. If he continues to play like that, he's a solid #7 on a legit contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad