Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not well. My point was he is often injured. He’s just becoming or is one of those guys that routinely gets injured and misses games, forcing the team to play other players and shuffle the backline.
Yeah, I guess your right, but I just feel like Pelech's injuries are not the kind that guys made out of glass get. He's not tweaking little things and out for months. He's getting slashed, boarded and cheap-shotted and those are what is causing him to miss games. To me it's not the same as those who get these random injuries from soft contact and miss months.

Reactions: Throttle

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
Whether he's playing injured, or having a hard time coming back from injuries, Pelech wasn't right. If I had to describe how he was playing before he got hurt, I would say that he was tentative.

He seems to be one of those guys that puts himself in precarious positions while battling, often reaching 4 the puck, and getting some 'high hits' as a result. He needs to learn to protect himself better.

That said, Gallagher is in the same class as Wilson and Trouba, as the type of men who seems to enjoy hurting others, with cheapshots. A POS.

'Bodying' an opposing player in order to get the puck, was introduced long ago, and the intent was not to get the puck. At some point (the 70's?), the cro-mags tried to turn this sport into ultimate fighting on ice. Some even reveled at the thought of injuring opponents, as if they were nothing more than computer players. thank God that era is gone.

Pelech, As well as any other player that gets hurt, should not come back until they are 100 percent. I cringe when I hear about somebody playing injured, thinking that they are risking their career.

Players like Pelech are hard to find. We need to protect him, not put him at risk. Don't bring him back until he is healthy and chomping at the bit.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
Not once did I say I expect this team to make a deep playoff run this season. I am just pointing out the absurdity of this organization being similar at all to Snow/Wang.
You brought up Snow/Wang, all I said was previous administrations which encompasses more history than just Snow/Wang. And listen, if your goal as a hockey fan is to watch a team that is financially stable, and maybe for long beleaguered Isles fans that is enough, than congratulations, your team is doing well. But if your goal is to watch a team that is exciting and dynamic with a realistic chance to win a Cup any time in the next 5-10 years than good luck to you (unless of course there is another pandemic, then hey, lightning might strike twice - no pun intended).

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I was very surprised to see Stone up there. Bet he wasn't like that pre-injury.
He was never fast, but he skated hard. He looked a lot like Ryan Smyth. But his game has changed a lot.

Pavelski is truly a wonder to be able to do what does with athletic ability that has got to be in the lowest 10% of the league. His processing has to be top 1%.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
In the offseason, would you guys do this? Just trying to figure a way to change up roster a bit.

Ottawa trade
C-Pinto
LD-Chabot

Isles trade
C-Pageau
LD-Pelech

Pinto is obviously better than Pageau. If healthy, Pelech is better than Chabot

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
In the offseason, would you guys do this? Just trying to figure a way to change up roster a bit.

Ottawa trade
C-Pinto
LD-Chabot

Isles trade
C-Pageau
LD-Pelech

We would, Ottawa wouldn't

And no, Pelech is not better than Chabot because 'healthy' is a past term for Pelech; the question is 'will he ever be the same?'

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
We would, Ottawa wouldn't

And no, Pelech is not better than Chabot because 'healthy' is a past term for Pelech; the question is 'will he ever be the same?'
Got it, thanks for the feedback. I just think Pinto is a risk too with his legal issues. Heard from Ottawa fans they want to move on from Chabot. And as we have heard in our forum, everyone things Pelech isn't full healthy from the wrist injury. I would think coming into next year he's fully recovered from everything that's bothering him.

Also consider Chabot is making 8M to Pelech's what 6M. Just a thought.

I also heard Ottawa is not happy with C-Norris who has a huge contract too.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
You brought up Snow/Wang, all I said was previous administrations which encompasses more history than just Snow/Wang. And listen, if your goal as a hockey fan is to watch a team that is financially stable, and maybe for long beleaguered Isles fans that is enough, than congratulations, your team is doing well. But if your goal is to watch a team that is exciting and dynamic with a realistic chance to win a Cup any time in the next 5-10 years than good luck to you (unless of course there is another pandemic, then hey, lightning might strike twice - no pun intended).
I don't understand this. Hockey fans have "goals" for the team that they can somehow achieve? And how/why do the Isles not have a realistic chance at a cup for 10 years? Strange take.

I'm thankful that we have a financially stable team with professional management. I will root for the team and enjoy any and all playoff runs we get. It would be even better if we were a cup contender. Am I doing fandom right?

Last edited by a moderator:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't understand this. Hockey fans have "goals" for the team that they can somehow achieve? And how/why do the Isles not have a realistic chance at a cup for 10 years? Strange take.

I'm thankful that we have a financially stable team with professional management. I will root for the team and enjoy any and all playoff runs we get. It would be even better if we were a cup contender. Am I doing fandom right?
Yep, you are

This isn't life and death, it's rooting for a team. Some of us were blessed to live through the Cup years. There's plenty of Leaf fans who haven't . . . :naughty:

Imagine being a Cubs fan or Red Sox fan born in 1920 . . . heck, being a Jets fan since SB3 has been miserable. Yankee fans assume any 3 year run without a title is grounds for public hangings.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Who is this guy?

I think you need to brush up on your Isles history? Outside of Torrey every GM was f***ing disaster. As per owners Pickett was a f***ing asshole too.

Just a reminder that was 2 conference finals.

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

Ottawa trade
C-Pinto
LD-Chabot

Isles trade
C-Pageau
LD-Pelech

I really don't know enough about the Pinto situation, but imo it makes little sense to get a player like Chabot where a decent part of their value is as a PPQB when he won't QB the first unit. The salary allocation makes no sense considering what NYI will have to pay Dobson.

IMO either Pelech returns to form (or close to form), or he is going to be on LTIR a lot.

Who is this guy?

I think you need to brush up on your Isles history? Outside of Torrey every GM was f***ing disaster. As per owners Pickett was a f***ing asshole too.

Most fun I had in nearly 40 years of being an Islander fan. I was too young for the good years.

Reactions: WangMustGo

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Who is this guy?

How was Pickett an asshole?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
How was Pickett an asshole?
I can't confirm that he was an asshole, but I can confirm that Islanders employees loathed him. I witnessed many head-shaking conversations. I'm sure there are many other explanations (lack of interest, not wanting to send good money after bad which obviously affected employees) for why they loathed Pickett, but there was zero doubt about the perception. I didn't witness any players saying anything first hand. Really, though, it was just that everything was falling apart, and he didn't seem to care. And employees weren't happy about taking pay cuts year after year, obviously.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I can't confirm that he was an asshole, but I can confirm that Islanders employees loathed him. I witnessed many head-shaking conversations. I'm sure there are many other explanations (lack of interest, not wanting to send good money after bad which obviously affected employees) for why they loathed Pickett, but there was zero doubt about the perception. I didn't witness any players saying anything first hand. Really, though, it was just that everything was falling apart, and he didn't seem to care. And employees weren't happy about taking pay cuts year after year, obviously.
i never met the man. In fact I never heard anything about him one way or another. What I do know about him is what was printed…that he was a minority partner of Roy Boe’s, that when Boe bankrupted the Islanders in the late 70s Pickett was called upon to be principal owner to help save the partners’ investment, that Pickett never wanted that role, and that by 1985 he moved to Florida and no longer wanted the Islanders.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Marek mentioned us as a potential destination for Kuzmenko. He has fallen out of favor with Tocchet and is no longer shooting 30%. Could regain some form with a change of scenery and a familiar face in Horvat. Honestly not sure what his cost would be at this time but it probably would need to involve Pageau because of NTCs and cap implications

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
i never met the man. In fact I never heard anything about him one way or another. What I do know about him is what was printed…that he was a minority partner of Roy Boe’s, that when Boe bankrupted the Islanders in the late 70s Pickett was called upon to be principal owner to help save the partners’ investment, that Pickett never wanted that role, and that by 1985 he moved to Florida and no longer wanted the Islanders.
I think that Pickett was also bamboozled by Spano . . . likely because like so many others, he didn't do a proper due diligence before agreeing to the sale, likely because he wanted out so quickly. Pickett likely was dragged through the mud behind the scene.

Marek mentioned us as a potential destination for Kuzmenko. He has fallen out of favor with Tocchet and is no longer shooting 30%. Could regain some form with a change of scenery and a familiar face in Horvat. Honestly not sure what his cost would be at this time but it probably would need to involve Pageau because of NTCs and cap implications
Unless we put Barzal back to center, how do you trade JGP with Cizikas still on IR . . . speaking of which, anyone hear anything on Casey's recovery?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I know the context, but being the best ownership encompasses at lot of things, not just franchise stability or worth, and to make the claim that the current group is the best is a stretch, particularly when you consider that there is not a small subset of fans and watchers who, cynically or not, believe that this ownership's primary motivation has little to do with hockey and much more to do with real estate, the hockey team being the mechanism whereby they have a achieved their real estate goal.
The only candidates for "best owner" would be Pickett and Malkin/Ledecky (Wang did some good things for the franchise I guess, but the actual hockey management was not good). Despite owning the team during the dynasty years, Pickett's overall winning % was lower than current ownership. And more importantly, Pickett kept money from the cable deal rather than reinvesting it back into the team, leading to the downturn after '84. By process of elimination, the current guys are the best. Let alone the miracle they pulled off with the new arena.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Bit of a caution flag when a player tears it up on a lottery team that played without any care of defense.

Now, a new coach restores order, the team is playing excellent, and this guy falls out of favor…quickly.

Isles are in a weird spot contractually up front. They need to sunset Clutter and Martin. Dish off Whalstrom as he’s a waste of roster spot. If they take on term, then they need to sunset Palms, Nelson in 2yrs. Then sunset Lee and Pageau in year 3.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think that Pickett was also bamboozled by Spano . . . likely because like so many others, he didn't do a proper due diligence before agreeing to the sale, likely because he wanted out so quickly. Pickett likely was dragged through the mud behind the scene.
If I remember correctly, the NHL brought Spano to Pickett as a buyer after the Gang of 4’s”lease- to-own” the Islanders fiasco.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
The only candidates for "best owner" would be Pickett and Malkin/Ledecky (Wang did some good things for the franchise I guess, but the actual hockey management was not good). Despite owning the team during the dynasty years, Pickett's overall winning % was lower than current ownership. And more importantly, Pickett kept money from the cable deal rather than reinvesting it back into the team, leading to the downturn after '84. By process of elimination, the current guys are the best. Let alone the miracle they pulled off with the new arena.
This team was just about out of here. His ultimate folly was retaining MIlbury but his purchase of the team and the legacy Sportschannel contract really are the only things that kept the franchise here. Had he been able to build what he wanted which is now pretty much what is happening in Elmont, things would have been better for it.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
This team was just about out of here. His ultimate folly was retaining MIlbury but his purchase of the team and the legacy Sportschannel contract really are the only things that kept the franchise here. Had he been able to build what he wanted which is now pretty much what is happening in Elmont, things would have been better for it.
Serious question and I hate beating a dead horse in wang/snow era, but was team really in danger of leaving?

Yeah rumors of KC, but it’s been years and we have yet to see any NHL franchise considered for that area.

I cant imagine the NHL letting a New York market team leave for a small market. I know the point is moot, but was the team really gonna get relocated? Personally I don’t think it would ever have happened.

I also know there’s a lot of nuance to the answer to this question. And I’m not trying to get into a debate about Wang I lived through that era. I made up my own mind. I’m just checking to see if anyone knows of anything that pointed to a relocation being real.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Serious question and I hate beating a dead horse in wang/snow era, but was team really in danger of leaving?

Yeah rumors of KC, but it’s been years and we have yet to see any NHL franchise considered for that area.

I cant imagine the NHL letting a New York market team leave for a small market. I know the point is moot, but was the team really gonna get relocated? Personally I don’t think it would ever have happened.

I also know there’s a lot of nuance to the answer to this question. And I’m not trying to get into a debate about Wang I lived through that era. I made up my own mind. I’m just checking to see if anyone knows of anything that pointed to a relocation being real.
I never believed for one second that Charles Wang would leave this tv market and all that money from the tv contract on the table. When push came to shove that money was worth more than trying to find an out of market buyer for the team, or worse, moving the team himself. Remeber at that time the contract was only 10 years old and had 25 years to run.

As for the rest of your question, I never heard about potential out of market buyers. Smoke about Kansas City and Quebec but nothing more than rumors and no specific names.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad