Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That’s wishful thinking on your part.

Chychrun is going to walk right into UFA and choose his destination a la Duchene/Vanek/etc. in less than 24 months.

I can’t see Lou trading a loyal soldier that he re-signed less than 12 months ago for a guy that will have one foot out the door and doesn’t even kill penalties.

A guy who was named the permanent GM a month and a half ago taking in a game is more likely him just familiarizing himself with the teams than it is to do with trades.
I don’t understand the hype on Chychrun. He’s also made of glass. Buyer beware on that one. Seems like once in a blue moon an AZ player gets a ton of hype, goes somewhere else, and underperforms.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Sprong could be a sneaky pickup just based on the fact that he’s got double digit goals and is only shooting 11%. Seems like what Gauthier could be if he actually put it all together, good skater and good shot.
He always seems to score against us, he’s weird player though as he seems to bounce around a lot and doesn’t really put up huge numbers.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Sprong could be a sneaky pickup just based on the fact that he’s got double digit goals and is only shooting 11%. Seems like what Gauthier could be if he actually put it all together, good skater and good shot.
Remember when they traded for another former Penguin who used to score against the Isles quite a bit? The Tyler Kennedy experiment really never worked out

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
That’s wishful thinking on your part.

Chychrun is going to walk right into UFA and choose his destination a la Duchene/Vanek/etc. in less than 24 months.

I can’t see Lou trading a loyal soldier that he re-signed less than 12 months ago for a guy that will have one foot out the door and doesn’t even kill penalties.

A guy who was named the permanent GM a month and a half ago taking in a game is more likely him just familiarizing himself with the teams than it is to do with trades.
Possibly, but can you not use a top 4 upgrade?

We played around with this on the Sens trade board:

Chabot+50% retained Tank for Pageau+ Palmeri+picks/prospects but the add has to be significant.

I mean that trade is horrible for Ottawa unless the offered picks/prospects are decent (and I skimmed the prospect pool, it wasn't pretty - not that ours is much to brag about). Still though, that could be the basis of a deal.
You had me at Mayfield.
That good eh? Making me think twice here...
There are plenty of things I would like to happen in a dream world, like getting Hanifin, but in the real world if we make just one move, my wish list would be one of Tarasenko, Vatrano or Eberle.
Then we look like this:
Tank/Vatrano/Ebs - Horvat - Barzal
Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
Lee - Pageau - Holmstrom
Martin/Maclean - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Perfectly fine with that heading into the stretch run/hopefully the playoffs.
I could see a 50% retained Tank but you're still short 1+ mill cap I think.
Lebrun just put out an article where he talked to Lou about the Isles and the TDL. Nothing groundbreaking of course, but FWIW Lebrun said the Isles are looking to add up front and he’d be very surprised if they didn’t make a move before the deadline.
Lou snaps his guy up quick, especially if your team gets going in the next week or two. If he decides on someone, he's going to get em for better or worse lol.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Weird take but alright, just Chabot then but you still need to move 7mil in cap with your 1. Something LTIR.

To me, I think Pelech is shot. Would love to swap these guys out and somehow match the salaries.

Tank is lazy and didn't really help the Rangers last year. I see him as a "Me" type player, not a "Team" player.

Reactions: Throttle

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
To me, I think Pelech is shot. Would love to swap these guys out and somehow match the salaries.

Tank is lazy and didn't really help the Rangers last year. I see him as a "Me" type player, not a "Team" player.
He's been the complete opposite in Ott this year. There is the occasional shift where his back check has been non existent but lately he's bought into our stronger commitment to defense (Jaque effect). Diving with his stick to clear the puck, battling on the boards to win possession, etc. I think you'd be surprised, plus I think he wants revenge for NYR not resigning him. Heh.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
He's been the complete opposite in Ott this year. There is the occasional shift where his back check has been non existent but lately he's bought into our stronger commitment to defense (Jaque effect). Diving with his stick to clear the puck, battling on the boards to win possession, etc. I think you'd be surprised, plus I think he wants revenge for NYR not resigning him. Heh.
What he wants is the security of a more than a one year contract so he can go back to not doing those good things that he's doing now in order to get a more than one year contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Potvottier

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I've been fine with LL going all in every trade deadline, but this time I'm against it. Also, I think LL is thinking much harder about it as well, because normally he makes the moves earlier than the trade deadline, and nothing has happened yet.

The reason I'm not okay with any non-hockey trades (prospects/picks for UFAs) is because I still don't really see this team as a playoff team. I think they are playing well under Roy, and maybe could make the playoffs under Roy all season (maybe) but with being 4 points out of the last wildcard with the way the teams are around them, it's going to take a Herculean effort and I just don't see it. They'll play a bunch of close games, win some and lose some, but I don't see any long winning streaks coming from this team. I don't think many players are going to change that.

My desire is for LL to reassess what kind of talent Roy needs to succeed and maybe go from there. I'm still not against dealing Nelson at the trade deadline as long as it's for a considerable return (like Horvat type return). Of course less likely, but Pageau and Palmeiri can go if there are any takers. I don't think losing any of those three is going to be a major dent and LL can adjust on the fly to build a team around Roy. Give Roy a real shot. That's all I got to say about that.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Part of me wants Lou to add a forward b/c this team needs one. If he can add a top-6 scorer for now and the future, it would have me thinking. No firsts for rentals.

With that said, let's give it the 15 remaining games, and assess from there. Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be more palatable this year, given their bubble status.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Part of me wants Lou to add a forward b/c this team needs one. If he can add a top-6 scorer for now and the future, it would have me thinking. No firsts for rentals.

With that said, let's give it the 15 remaining games, and assess from there. Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be more palatable this year, given their bubble status.
One could argue that the most Lou ever paid for a rental was a 7th rounder for Braydon Coburn.

While he traded picks for UFAs, those players resigned with the Isles, so in the end were not your typical ‘rental.’

Reactions: Potvottier and Lek

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
One could argue that the most Lou ever paid for a rental was a 7th rounder for Braydon Coburn.

While he traded picks for UFAs, those players resigned with the Isles, so in the end were not your typical ‘rental.’
and i do not think that will change though really, gut says there is an actual hockey trade coming....also part of maybe why a trade is not or has not occurred early, as is more his Lou's thing, is the coaching situation. Now that that is settled and the coach is Roy, if a move is available that works i am sure it will get done. I am ok with or without as long as it is not a rental only move.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've been fine with LL going all in every trade deadline, but this time I'm against it. Also, I think LL is thinking much harder about it as well, because normally he makes the moves earlier than the trade deadline, and nothing has happened yet.

The reason I'm not okay with any non-hockey trades (prospects/picks for UFAs) is because I still don't really see this team as a playoff team. I think they are playing well under Roy, and maybe could make the playoffs under Roy all season (maybe) but with being 4 points out of the last wildcard with the way the teams are around them, it's going to take a Herculean effort and I just don't see it. They'll play a bunch of close games, win some and lose some, but I don't see any long winning streaks coming from this team. I don't think many players are going to change that.

My desire is for LL to reassess what kind of talent Roy needs to succeed and maybe go from there. I'm still not against dealing Nelson at the trade deadline as long as it's for a considerable return (like Horvat type return). Of course less likely, but Pageau and Palmeiri can go if there are any takers. I don't think losing any of those three is going to be a major dent and LL can adjust on the fly to build a team around Roy. Give Roy a real shot. That's all I got to say about that.
I am with you here. I think the Isles should retool. There are a lot of NTC Lou has handed out that make it difficult to make a significant move. Nelson, Pageau, and Palmieri, The entire ID line, Wally and Holmstrom and the 1st rd pick look like the best trade assets. Nelson, Pageau and the 1st would bring back the most bang. It's hard to see Lou doing this though. But I am in the camp that the team needs to get faster and younger.

The other assets like Barzal, Dobson, and Sorokin are not going to be moved. They are pretty much locked in with Pelech, Pulock, Horvat and Mayfield. Going to have to get creative to retool to a Roy team.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I really don't want to move Bolduc at all at the deadline. I think he can be a good Defenseman. He just needs a little more time. Big frame, good shot, young. These are the type of back end guys you want to hold on to and develop, not trade. We have nothing in the system for a few years on the defensive side. Let's keep him.

I personally think Lou really needs to hold on to our 1st this year too. I mean it's sad that this team hasn't had a 1st rounder in what 4 years now???

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Probably semantics but I don't think that Lou has ever gone "all in" at the deadline. To me that implies trading picks/prospects for rentals with a "cup or bust this season" mentality. While Lou has traded picks/prospects, the players he acquired weren't over the hill rentals by any means. In fact most of them were fairly young. And signed before they went UFA.

While I doubt Lou tries to go after a big fish, the Islanders will certainly not be sellers at the deadline. And I don't think it will take a Herculean effort to make the playoffs. 4 points out with a game in hand. And yes I know there are other teams in the race (basically 8 teams in a race for 4 spots). I think that if they win 18 or so of their remaining 32 it should get them in.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Casey back which means someone needs to be waived to fit him. Logical option due to position and waiver exemption is Maclean. I think he showed enough that he’ll be back… and it’ll make it easier to swallow when we inevitably need to dump Pageau for cap space

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Casey back which means someone needs to be waived to fit him. Logical option due to position and waiver exemption is Maclean. I think he showed enough that he’ll be back… and it’ll make it easier to swallow when we inevitably need to dump Pageau for cap space

Sending Mac down is obvious 1 for 1 swap. Biggest question is on D. Do they bring Bortuzzo back and waive Aho/Bolduc and risk losing one of those guys. Seems like the obvious answer so the squad would have 4 lefties and 4 righties. I think Reily has easily earned that 6th spot over Aho & Bolduc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad