Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Everyone knows that pro soccer would go down the drain in Germany if the athletes would be taxed like "normal people" in their pay grades.... Too many other destinations around Europe to compete with.
Sometimes I wish countries would just give that up. Their superstars can live in fortified compounds in countries with their own personal militias.

Unrelatedly, the Sergachev injury was awful, and I hope he can recover from whatever it was. I'm not posting video, because it is not pleasant.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Yeah, just a difference in semantics. To me going all in is trading your first and prospects for the best player available which they did with Horvat, Pageau (debatable, but he was top 3, and Palmeiri).

18 out of 32 is most certainly not a lock for this team and I'm not even sure that will be enough to get in. Hughes is coming back for the Devils. Philly still shows no signs of faltering. If Roy gets this team into the playoffs I'll worship the guy, lol.
Philly has already said they will sell at the deadline so we'll see how they do down the stretch. 93 points should be enough...

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
I am not opposed to going all in, as long as the cost isn't killing us.

Re-tool is an option, IMO. We are not an old team. Once Martin and Clutterbuck are off the team we are an average aged team.

We need to make an improvement somewhere and I think we would be best to find that missing left wing that can play with Barzal and Horvat. Lee is a 2nd line player, really. He is an all-star when it comes to heart and sacrifice, but we need better skill and speed on the 1st line.

I really like Holmstrom and think he's got a shot at top line duties, but he is too raw. We really have nothing in the pipeline for LW. Iskhakov is the closest thing. Not good.

The only thing I don't want to do, is rebuild.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I am not opposed to going all in, as long as the cost isn't killing us.

Re-tool is an option, IMO. We are not an old team. Once Martin and Clutterbuck are off the team we are an average aged team.

We need to make an improvement somewhere and I think we would be best to find that missing left wing that can play with Barzal and Horvat. Lee is a 2nd line player, really. He is an all-star when it comes to heart and sacrifice, but we need better skill and speed on the 1st line.

I really like Holmstrom and think he's got a shot at top line duties, but he is too raw. We really have nothing in the pipeline for LW. Iskhakov is the closest thing. Not good.

The only thing I don't want to do, is rebuild.
Islanders can't rebuild. It's impossible with so many players on long term contracts that are impossible to get rid of. Basically the Isles have an aging team filled with players of little to no trade value because of their contracts, not because they aren't good players.

A retool should have been done in the offseason, but Lou decided to give Mayfield and Engvall seven year deals instead of going younger and starting a transisiton. We will still be watching the same players on this team five years or more from now,,.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Going "all-in" is nice when there's a player like Horvat available and we can extend him. Last thing we'd want to do is pay Horvat type of price for an inferior talent. If there's a move that can help the team this year, and reasonable chance to help for the next few years after that, then go ahead.

Otherwise, stand pat. Have a full draft for once. Can always go "all-in" next year with more ammo in that scenario if the team is performing better.

Reactions: Potvottier and SI

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Sometimes I wish countries would just give that up. Their superstars can live in fortified compounds in countries with their own personal militias.

Unrelatedly, the Sergachev injury was awful, and I hope he can recover from whatever it was. I'm not posting video, because it is not pleasant.

Broken ankle, 8-12 weeks is what I saw

NickyP76

Apr 23, 2012
Long Island
Vatrano really is perfect fit. The ability to play on 1st or 2nd line, his cap number, and the fact he is signed next year truly make him the ideal target. Would love to add him AND Henrique similar to when we added Palm with Zajac but dont see it possible without moving Pageau and or Pelech who im not sure either would waive NTC for ANH. This leads me to OTT. I do think they both would waive for OTT and both of them along with picks, prospects in a package for Chuchryn and or Tank seems like best team fits hockey trade wise.

Reactions: Lights911

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Vatrano really is perfect fit. The ability to play on 1st or 2nd line, his cap number, and the fact he is signed next year truly make him the ideal target.
No way. Do not spend another first on a limited goal-scoring winger. NYI's path forward *this* year is to focus on preventing goals unless there is a way to magically rid themselves of Palmieri's contract. They need wingers who can skate, forecheck, and defend.

Best path for NYI is to depend on 1st line and PP to outscore their matchups, reduce PPGA, and play close to even with the other lines.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Even over here in Germany there are all kinds of stipulations that give athletes certain tax advantages. Well, they give "artists" certain advantages and pro athletes are categorized as artists.

Everyone knows that pro soccer would go down the drain in Germany if the athletes would be taxed like "normal people" in their pay grades.... Too many other destinations around Europe to compete with.

This said, a case like this seems like it could actually have some huge ramifications for the Canadian teams. Bears watching.

And surely Bettman is keeping a close eye on it.
This was the point I alluded to when I posted about this in the around the NHL thread. Losing the favourable tax rate on the "inducement" bonus would make it a lot harder for Cdn teams to sign UFA players.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
No way. Do not spend another first on a limited goal-scoring winger. NYI's path forward *this* year is to focus on preventing goals unless there is a way to magically rid themselves of Palmieri's contract. They need wingers who can skate, forecheck, and defend.

Best path for NYI is to depend on 1st line and PP to outscore their matchups, reduce PPGA, and play close to even with the other lines.
I actually envision Horvat and Barzal logging 30 minutes a game by the end of March lol.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
If you look at our cap situation, it's clear that there will be no rebuild or retool this year as we are locked in for our cap next year too. the earliest we will see a retool is next trade deadline if the team stinks. i would expect another pick to go out this year, if at all possible to fit under the cap.

Reactions: NickyP76

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Islanders can't rebuild. It's impossible with so many players on long term contracts that are impossible to get rid of. Basically the Isles have an aging team filled with players of little to no trade value because of their contracts, not because they aren't good players.

A retool should have been done in the offseason, but Lou decided to give Mayfield and Engvall seven year deals instead of going younger and starting a transisiton. We will still be watching the same players on this team five years or more from now,,.
Every offseason. Retool/Rebuild. Better than trying to actually compete.

So…the Isles got younger on defense, Buldoc’s been playing, how’s that working out? Seems like everyone doesn’t want him to play…and bear with the development.

Reactions: JKP

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

We're doomed.

Every offseason. Retool/Rebuild. Better than trying to actually compete.

So…the Isles got younger on defense, Buldoc’s been playing, how’s that working out? Seems like everyone doesn’t want him to play…and bear with the development.
Play the kids! The kids suck!

• Haha
Reactions: Potvottier

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The Isles could absolutely rebuild. If you're going to tear things down, Barzal and Sorokin have NTCs that kick in on July 1st, so trade them before that. Dobson has no trade protection. Huge returns for those 3. Once you trade those guys, Horvat, etc. would waive their protection to go somewhere else. Nelson has value - a lot actually. Romanov ditto. Some disagree, but I think Pulock and Pelech would return assets. Even guys like Lee and Palmieri and JGP could bring back assets in the last year of their deals. Anybody who can't be moved can fill in the uniform during the extended years of tanking. Sounds like fun, right?

I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, but it can be done.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I looked at TSN's trade bait board and these are the names that seem like possibilities:

Henrique
Tarasenko
Duclair
Vatrano
Frost
and less likely:
Eberle (?!)
Buchnevich
Zegras

BTW, I wonder if the sudden Wahlstrom thing is about giving him a chance or evaluating him as a possible trade chip?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The Isles could absolutely rebuild. If you're going to tear things down, Barzal and Sorokin have NTCs that kick in on July 1st, so trade them before that. Dobson has no trade protection. Huge returns for those 3. Once you trade those guys, Horvat, etc. would waive their protection to go somewhere else. Nelson has value - a lot actually. Romanov ditto. Some disagree, but I think Pulock and Pelech would return assets. Even guys like Lee and Palmieri and JGP could bring back assets in the last year of their deals. Anybody who can't be moved can fill in the uniform during the extended years of tanking. Sounds like fun, right?

NOW we're talking!

• Haha
Reactions: doublechili

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I actually envision Horvat and Barzal logging 30 minutes a game by the end of March lol.
Yeah. They need a bit more balance. They desperately need someone who can play on the 3rd line, and PK. Pageau is losing too many battles, and Wahlstrom is not the help he needs.

If I had my way, NYI would acquire a C who can PK, then bump Cizikas up with Pageau & Holmstrom. Strongly prefer keeping 1st & 2nd rounders. 2024 4th, 5th, 2025 3rd, Wahlstrom available.

Reactions: MJF

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
If they could acquire Vatrano and Henrique in a package (somehow making the money and roster space work), I’d be all for it. That would make us pretty formidable down the stretch if the defense holds up.

Or just Vatrano on his own would work too. I’m a big fan of his game.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

You have any idea how many Chili's it will cost when we do this and lose 9-0 30x a year??? The HORROR!

We might as well fold the franchise if we do this . . . I'd rather date Rosie O'Donnell . . .

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
If they could acquire Vatrano and Henrique in a package (somehow making the money and roster space work), I’d be all for it. That would make us pretty formidable down the stretch if the defense holds up.

Or just Vatrano on his own would work too. I’m a big fan of his game.
Your giving up your first this year to do that, I agree both players certainly would fit and would help but you’d need to trade a forward to make room. Is Henrique better than Pageau at this point as example, I’d say no. I believe the old Lou line when you have time you use it applies to team. They have 12 games prior to deadline and now are healthy so let’s see if they can go on run before making deadline decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad