Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I want Kaliyev. He's on TSN's list and if there's anyone that might not cost a lot but could be a potential top line goal scorer to fit with Horvat and Barzal long term, it's him. At 22 years old, I feel he's ready to break out in the right environment.
Agreed. I've admired Kaliyev's play since he came into the league.

Everything about Zegras reeks of r4g$
He strikes me as a bit of a showboat. Perfect for the Rags. He'll spend his time looking up at the crowd. They can have him.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Wonder if some Florida fans were thinking that last season as they squeaked into the post season last year and rode a hot goalie in the playoffs. Then this year they seemed to find another level. This year is wide open.
Florida won the President’s Trophy the year before and had a stacked but underperforming roster. We have the underperforming part nailed down at least

Reactions: Ishkabible

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
the
Florida won the President’s Trophy the year before and had a stacked but underperforming roster. We have the underperforming part nailed down at least
reality was they were not in a playoff spot at this time last year. As the great Bill Parcells said, you are what you are.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I totally agree, I think he's a perfect fit

I don't want him...he seems too much of a me player. Just likes to be flashy

I would take Kaliyev, but I would also take Zegras if the price was right. The kid has been stuck on a lottery team without much help his entire career. At 20 and 21 years old he put up over 60 points.

He very obviously has a ton of skill, give him competent coaching and players and maybe be turns into the star winger this team hasn’t had since Palffy.

It’s a gamble, but at this point it’s one you have to consider. Not many 22 year olds with that type of potential are available. Only 2 more seasons on his contract after this one, I’d take the chance. He very well may be a PPG player here and it’s a risk I would take.

Reactions: DamnZamDoor

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I would take Kaliyev, but I would also take Zegras if the price was right. The kid has been stuck on a lottery team without much help his entire career. At 20 and 21 years old he put up over 60 points.

He very obviously has a ton of skill, give him competent coaching and players and maybe be turns into the star winger this team hasn’t had since Palffy.

It’s a gamble, but at this point it’s one you have to consider. Not many 22 year olds with that type of potential are available. Only 2 more seasons on his contract after this one, I’d take the chance. He very well may be a PPG player here and it’s a risk I would take.
Zegras personality wise seems kind of like Barzal and Roy seems to have had a great effect on him. It feels like a real recognize real thing - he’s just playing harder for a guy who he grew up watching do it all. Zegras might be the same way

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Zegras personality wise seems kind of like Barzal and Roy seems to have had a great effect on him. It feels like a real recognize real thing - he’s just playing harder for a guy who he grew up watching do it all. Zegras might be the same way

Agreed. I think with proper coaching and supporting cast Zegras would thrive. He reminds me a lot of Barzal. He is incredibly skilled, and would be a big upgrade in the top 6. Barzal-Horvat and Nelson-Zegras would be the core of 2 very good lines and a good upgrade on the PP.

I think he’s so flashy that it gives some of the older fans tantrums.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Everything about Zegras reeks of r4g$

Other than him being from Westchester (big time rangers fan country) I don't see a connect from the player to the actual team. He's just a hot name right now with oodles of upside.

Now if like 8 years from now Zegras is a top 10 player in the NHL and hits free agency, then that would reek of the rags.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Agreed. I think with proper coaching and supporting cast Zegras would thrive. He reminds me a lot of Barzal. He is incredibly skilled, and would be a big upgrade in the top 6. Barzal-Horvat and Nelson-Zegras would be the core of 2 very good lines and a good upgrade on the PP.

I think he’s so flashy that it gives some of the older fans tantrums.
when coming out in the draft Zebras was compared to Barzal. Don't think the Isles have what it takes to pry him away from the West Coast. I do agree, since ROY was a superstar, one would have to assume he knows how stars think and is tapping into Barzal that way. Anyway, long way to go and as the great Winston Wolf once said: Let's not start suc..............

Reactions: Konk and WangMustGo

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Bertuzzo back at practice. Presents an interesting situation for isles if he is getting closer to being activated. 9 dman on the roster doesn’t seem doable…

Reactions: 19 in a row

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

When Bortuzzo comes back, that would make 9 D, so we obviously have to waive, send someone down or make a trade. Do we send Bolduc down? Waive Aho (or Bortuzzo, hope not) or try to make a deal? thoughts?

Last edited:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

When Bortuzzo comes back, that would make 9 D, so we obviously have to waive, send someone down or make a trade. Do we send Bolduc down? Waive Aho (or Bortuzzo, hope not) or try to make a deal? thoughts?

Could maybe put Fasching on IR or something like that. Try and make it to the deadline..but that is still pretty far away. Might be a deal coming.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

One more time . . . there is NO WAY IN HELL that Bolduc clears waivers to go to Bridgeport

Until he plays himself out of the picture or is traded, that isn't going to happen

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Thought we were all talking about retooling... not rebuilding. I think it's just Isles Norway who went nuclear suddenly, which makes sense since he always talks in absolutes. A rebuild is not necessary.
I don't disagree. I was just replying to a post that said the Isles can't rebuild due to bad contracts, NTCs, etc.. I just replied that they certainly could rebuild but didn't see why someone would want to.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
when coming out in the draft Zebras was compared to Barzal. Don't think the Isles have what it takes to pry him away from the West Coast.
IDK, they might be players of a different stripe. :sarcasm:

As for the price, I would think the Isles could put together a package for a team like ANA. They have their 1st this year, plus Bolduc, Wahlstrom and plenty of prospects worthy of being an add-in. BTW, I'm in the pro-Bolduc camp, but I could see Lou trading him for the right return. Then re-sign Reilly and figure one of the LHD prospects will be ready in a couple of years.

Reactions: mm11 and Throttle

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I have a feeling people don’t really watch Zegras play and are working off highlights and such. Is he talented? Yes. The issue is he elects to defer to the flash vs the better play on a consistent basis. And the NHL tried to NFL the guy in terms of marketing him while he was a thing, except he’s not doing much.

My guess is Verbeek keeps him around to keep the interest in the team. Doubtful he stays through his 3rd contract.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Worth noting that the Isles can now accrue cap space heading towards the TDL since they are no longer using LTIR.
Bortuzzo still on LTIR, it’s good point though but someone needs to go to get him off LTIR so I’d imagine we see move soon considering he practiced today full tilt. isles would probably like to start accruing cap space ASAP.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
One more time . . . there is NO WAY IN HELL that Bolduc clears waivers to go to Bridgeport

Until he plays himself out of the picture or is traded, that isn't going to happen
Didnt realize that Bolduc was not waiver eligible , so thank you for that. I haven't mentioned it before, and can't say I have read your posts, but get your frustration if it has been mentioned multiple times.

Bottom line, we will have to make a move in the near future, can't carry 9 D . My post didnt intend to focus on Bolduc. If it were up to me, unless we are making some sort of trade, my vote would be to vote Aho off the Island. Bolduc may have a future with us if he develops, so can watch from the press box for now. Aho is what he is.

Reactions: leeroggy

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Didnt realize that Bolduc was not waiver eligible , so thank you for that. I haven't mentioned it before, and can't say I have read your posts, but get your frustration if it has been mentioned multiple times.

Bottom line, we will have to make a move in the near future, can't carry 9 D . My post didnt intend to focus on Bolduc. If it were up to me, unless we are making some sort of trade, my vote would be to vote Aho off the Island. Bolduc may have a future with us if he develops, so can watch from the press box for now. Aho is what he is.
Agre. Isles have invested in him, but he’s just not that good and when not sheltered he’s a weak link.

With the way Lou works, Bert stays. Same with Riley. Both UFAs. Both better suited for the playoffs. Riley is a solid player for $1M and brings an element the isles need. When the d is healthy he can settle into the right role - when he plays above his ability, he’s an issue. I think Lou resigns him this summer to a 2-3 year deal.

Reactions: Lights911

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

It comes down to either waiving Bortuzzo or trading Aho. Aho can play both sides, which is valuable to someone. That would make it 4 RHD's and 4 LHD's with Aho out. My gut tells me Bortuzzo might be the odd man out, since any of our 9 would be claimed. Roy has been praising Aho.

Reactions: 19 in a row
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad