Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Tavares seemed to better the players around him…

One is a playmaker one is a goal scorer. It’s not a surprise that Tavares did it better without help. Tavares was also a top 5 center in the NHL when he was on the isles. Tavares also played in a far more offensive oriented system.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
How many people have actually, realistically ever disputed this?

Your posts for years now have stipulated that Barzal was essentially a finished product and would never be worth his contract at either 7 or 9 mil... and that no other players, systems, coaches or Barzal himself would ever result in that changing.

Therefore, trade him before he becomes an anchor for the likes of William Karlsson or Nazeem Kadri.

But until then...

Grant Hutton
Grant Hutton
Grant Hutton
Josh Bailey (shout out @Bones45)
Grant Hutton
Grant Hutton

:sarcasm:
When Grant Hutton talks, people listen . . .

Reactions: NC 1972

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
The only good thing this year. Lou can't trade our 1st rounder. We have absolutely NO cap space. Even if he traded 1st, Wally, Aho, Reilly....Still won't bring in anyone decent. That' about 2.5M worth of cap space. And I don't see Lou trading 2 Defensemen either just because of the injury factor. Keep hearing Lou wants another D-man and possibly a forward.. Good luck with that. :laugh:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The only good thing this year. Lou can't trade our 1st rounder. We have absolutely NO cap space. Even if he traded 1st, Wally, Aho, Reilly....Still won't bring in anyone decent. That' about 2.5M worth of cap space. And I don't see Lou trading 2 Defensemen either just because of the injury factor. Keep hearing Lou wants another D-man and possibly a forward.. Good luck with that. :laugh:
Isles get back into consistent winning… that pick is 100% gonzo. Don’t even try to fool yourself that he won’t find a way. Last year everyone would’ve said there is no way he could bring in Horvat.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Boy you underestimate any human being who is dedicated to a certain pattern of behavior.

Lou traded a 1st for Romanov finishing up a rookie deal...And now *only* making 2.5M.

All he has to do is package any combination of Clutterbuck, Martin, and Reilly (making 4.25M combined) and he can do his usually 20% overpay for a guy making less than that.

Point is...Lou has traded the last FOUR Isles 1st rounders, still thinks they are a Cup contender now, and doesn't rebuild. Therefore it would be downright amazing if that 2024 1st isn't dealt - No matter how seemingly hard it would be.

Last edited:

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
It comes down to either waiving Bortuzzo or trading Aho. Aho can play both sides, which is valuable to someone. That would make it 4 RHD's and 4 LHD's with Aho out. My gut tells me Bortuzzo might be the odd man out, since any of our 9 would be claimed. Roy has been praising Aho.
Really I think Aho is odd man out, I’d think they would want Bortuzzo around with his experience but I could be wrong. I sorta thought that’s why Aho played today as sort of showcase a bit.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Boy you underestimate any human being who is dedicated to a certain pattern of behavior.

Lou traded a 1st for Romanov finishing up a rookie deal...And now *only* making 2.5M.

All he has to do is package any combination of Clutterbuck, Martin, and Reilly (making 4.25M combined) and he can do his usually 20% overpay for a guy making less than that.

Point is...Lou has traded the last FOUR Isles 1st rounders, still thinks they are a Cup contender now, and doesn't rebuild. Therefore it would be downright amazing if that 2024 1st isn't dealt - No matter how seemingly hard it would be.
Again it depends on what the first is traded for honestly if they do trade it, just as example what if it’s moved for a Keller? Not saying that’s going to happen but the first shouldn’t be untouchable if they are going to add a core player in prime. The rebuild will be forced upon them at some point but it’s not coming under Lou and Roy as coach.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The rebuild will be forced upon them at some point but it’s not coming under Lou and Roy as coach.

If this is true (and I'm stressing IF), then WTF are we doing here other than wasting time and pushing back lots of pain until the inevitable forces the franchise to do so...?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
My opinion is that any trade should come with implications that they will stick around for a while. if we are gonna go for a Vatrano or Buchnevich, make them stay. we need fresh faces, especially with the poor play out of guys like Wahlstrom, Holmstrom, Nelson, and Pageau.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Lou will trade our first if he can. He cares not for the future of this franchise, only the present. But the Isles are in such a bad state that if they are out of playoff contention by the deadline, he hasn't even got anything to sell...

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Nelson still has significant trade value. Many of us that have been watching all the games seem to think he might’ve lost a step. Frankly it’s a small sample size so I’m not convinced. He’s had a great 3 year run at an age where many players have already peaked.

With that in mind, it’s time to trade Nelson either at the TDL or in the offseason. If his recent downturn in play is a true trend then time is not on our side to recoup value in any deal. Right now he’s still a very valuable commodity. If the Isles remain in the hunt any deal with him included won’t be happening until the offseason at the earliest.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I really like the Buchnevich idea (5.8 m with one more year left)

I doubt Armstrong would retain a penny on that contract though so it would have to be a hockey trade + more than likely giving up the isles 1st .

pageau , 1st --buchnevich

extend buchnevich for the 2025-26 season once his 5.8 aav deal expires .

Armstrong can probably flip Pageau at some point for a half decent return once his deal gets close to expiring.

St Louis would need to be on Pagers 16 team list of course or be asked ahead of time if he's cool moving to St. Louis

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nelson still has significant trade value. Many of us that have been watching all the games seem to think he might’ve lost a step. Frankly it’s a small sample size so I’m not convinced. He’s had a great 3 year run at an age where many players have already peaked.

With that in mind, it’s time to trade Nelson either at the TDL or in the offseason. If his recent downturn in play is a true trend then time is not on our side to recoup value in any deal. Right now he’s still a very valuable commodity. If the Isles remain in the hunt any deal with him included won’t be happening until the offseason at the earliest.
I am for selling this TDL, not sure if Lou is. That is the problem, I just posted in the Lou 3 more years thread. Time for Lou to realize this is not same team that went to the final 4, 2 years straight. Hope he does soon, these assets will devalue if he stands pat or worse sells assets in an effort to keep the boat alfloat.

Reactions: Glorydays22

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
They’re definitely adding this year whether anyone likes it or not. All signs point towards it. How the team plays over the next two weeks won’t determine if a move is made, just how soon a move is made.

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town

I’m just sitting here wondering what Nelson could have done if he hadn’t played with fourth liners his whole career, and even this years so called down year and washed up is six points behind Hovat that is Playing with Barzal and Lee twenty some minutes a game. Hopefully he gets traded at the deadline to a contender and goes on to win a cup.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just a thought, Boston has lost 2 straight, starting to comeback down to earth a little, they are still a good team. They need a quality 1-2 Center. Wonder what Nelson or Pageau could fetch back from Boston. I can see one of the 2 fitting into Boston's scheme pretty easily. Only problem, Bruins don't have many picks and prospects I can see that make it worthwhile to trade Nelson. Pageau on the otherhand, maybe if there is a prospect the Isles covet, and likely a 1st or 2nd rd pick in 2025.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Just a thought, Boston has lost 2 straight, starting to comeback down to earth a little, they are still a good team. They need a quality 1-2 Center. Wonder what Nelson or Pageau could fetch back from Boston. I can see one of the 2 fitting into Boston's scheme pretty easily. Only problem, Bruins don't have many picks and prospects I can see that make it worthwhile to trade Nelson. Pageau on the otherhand, maybe if there is a prospect the Isles covet, and likely a 1st or 2nd rd pick in 2025.
I was in full agreement until the last sentence. Pageau would be a good fit for the B’s and they might be one of the few teams that would value him enough to return some assets. Not nearly the haul of assets you proposed unfortunately.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I am for selling this TDL, not sure if Lou is. That is the problem, I just posted in the Lou 3 more years thread. Time for Lou to realize this is not same team that went to the final 4, 2 years straight. Hope he does soon, these assets will devalue if he stands pat or worse sells assets in an effort to keep the boat alfloat.

Unfortunately even if we are out of it Lou probably won’t sell. This team desperately needs to get younger and faster. If we are out of it get rid of Nelson, he will fetch a haul. I’d look at Colorado and see if we could get Byram for him.

On top of that move Martin, Clutterbuck, Bortuzzo, and Aho. I don’t care if they only return late picks, we need as many darts as possible in the draft. Bring up Durandeau, Ishakov, Dufour and see how they can handle of the NHL.

Go into summer and reevaluate with a bunch of picks, some cap space, and a better idea of what some of these kids can do. Retool could be done very quickly without destroying the core.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was in full agreement until the last sentence. Pageau would be a good fit for the B’s and they might be one of the few teams that would value him enough to return some assets. Not nearly the haul of assets you proposed unfortunately.
Pageau is a cheaper option than Nelson for the B's, he really fits their culture iMO. 2 way player that may have more offence in him with the B's. Isles would lose the 5M salary and may be able to use it this summer via UFA and some picks or prospects. He deserves a shot going to a contender also. But it all depends on how long Lou wants to recapture lightening in a bottle we have not seen in years.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Unfortunately even if we are out of it Lou probably won’t sell. This team desperately needs to get younger and faster. If we are out of it get rid of Nelson, he will fetch a haul. I’d look at Colorado and see if we could get Byram for him.

On top of that move Martin, Clutterbuck, Bortuzzo, and Aho. I don’t care if they only return late picks, we need as many darts as possible in the draft. Bring up Durandeau, Ishakov, Dufour and see how they can handle of the NHL.

Go into summer and reevaluate with a bunch of picks, some cap space, and a better idea of what some of these kids can do. Retool could be done very quickly without destroying the core.
They got younger and faster: Gauthier, Engvall, etc.

Oh here we go again, bring up the prospects see how they do. Don’t the Isles have a first rounder that can’t hack it already under 3 coaches in the lineup? Or was he ruined by Trotz? Or that defenseman people want off the ice so bad that’s still pretty darn young and developing?

Kinda funny that earlier in the year, some fans wanted Dobson traded. Yup…

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
If this is true (and I'm stressing IF), then WTF are we doing here other than wasting time and pushing back lots of pain until the inevitable forces the franchise to do so...?
Core is locked up, the stars are in their prime. I think we will see some retool perhaps in off-season where someone like Lee and or Nelson isn’t here snd they attempt to get a bit younger and hopefully faster and better in spots like that but for next few years with Barzal, Dobson, Horvat and Sorokin they are going to try and win.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
They got younger and faster: Gauthier, Engvall, etc.

Oh here we go again, bring up the prospects see how they do. Don’t the Isles have a first rounder that can’t hack it already under 3 coaches in the lineup? Or was he ruined by Trotz? Or that defenseman people want off the ice so bad that’s still pretty darn young and developing?

Kinda funny that earlier in the year, some fans wanted Dobson traded. Yup…

I never wanted Dobson trade, but I do remember you saying wanting Barzal traded. Engvall is not all that young, and Gauthier was nothing but a reclamation project.

If and it is still and IF they fall out of the race the isles should look to get younger and faster. I would absolutely entertain a Byram for Nelson swap. You get a young NHL defenseman with top pairing upside for a 32 year old Nelson.

Almost every Stanley cup winner has a couple of young kids that are cheap playing important minutes. You need that in a cap world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad