Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I never wanted Dobson trade, but I do remember you saying wanting Barzal traded. Engvall is not all that young, and Gauthier was nothing but a reclamation project.

If and it is still and IF they fall out of the race the isles should look to get younger and faster. I would absolutely entertain a Byram for Nelson swap. You get a young NHL defenseman with top pairing upside for a 32 year old Nelson.

Almost every Stanley cup winner has a couple of young kids that are cheap playing important minutes. You need that in a cap world
Oh, I’m still in favor of trading Barzal. Hopefully, the Petterssen negotiations go south and there’s a trade there.

Reactions: Glory Days

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Isles get back into consistent winning… that pick is 100% gonzo. Don’t even try to fool yourself that he won’t find a way. Last year everyone would’ve said there is no way he could bring in Horvat.
Don't think that's going to happen.... my fear is Lou trades it anyway because we aren't far enough out of it... pretty much like last year where an amazing tear got us in. Does anybody know exactly when the turn around started last year?

The only reason i don't get mortified about Lou ditching the first is because he at least does it for the long term and not rentals.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Don't think that's going to happen.... my fear is Lou trades it anyway because we aren't far enough out of it... pretty much like last year where an amazing tear got us in. Does anybody know exactly when the turn around started last year?

The only reason i don't get mortified about Lou ditching the first is because he at least does it for the long term and not rentals.
problem is there needs to be 2 moves, or at least a cap lateral move to bring someone in, but i doubt anyone would want to take any of our bloated contracts back without a big overpayment, which we just really dont have. i would say the only prospect of any significant value is bolduc. so - bolduc and 1st for hanafin? but then we need another move to make the cap work? and who takes pageau/palmieri? and at what cost?

i'd say a TDL move is much more complicated this year.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
problem is there needs to be 2 moves, or at least a cap lateral move to bring someone in, but i doubt anyone would want to take any of our bloated contracts back without a big overpayment, which we just really dont have. i would say the only prospect of any significant value is bolduc. so - bolduc and 1st for hanafin? but then we need another move to make the cap work? and who takes pageau/palmieri? and at what cost?

i'd say a TDL move is much more complicated this year.

Agreed.

As a few others have mentioned, there's really not any room for Lou to just send out that 1st and bring in someone for the stretch run that puts this team over the cap.

Gymnastics would be required and yes, he's always found ways to juggle things. I think they've got one of the premiere capologists working for 'em.

But it definitely looks like one of the bodies earning 5 MM plus would have to go.

I mean, it could be one of the guys earning 3 MM per, but hard to imagine anyone is taking them off his hands.

Reactions: Potvottier

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Agreed.

As a few others have mentioned, there's really not any room for Lou to just send out that 1st and bring in someone for the stretch run that puts this team over the cap.

Gymnastics would be required and yes, he's always found ways to juggle things. I think they've got one of the premiere capologists working for 'em.

But it definitely looks like one of the bodies earning 5 MM plus would have to go.

I mean, it could be one of the guys earning 3 MM per, but hard to imagine anyone is taking them off his hands.
Which is why he has painted himself into a corner. No team is gonna take any of them off our books, and definitely not at the deadline, when short term thinking is on the agenda.

There might be some hope in the summer when Palmieri and Nelson enter into their final year, but knowing Lou, he is closer to extending them than trading them. The Islanders need wriggle room, but it's awfully hard to see where they'll be getting it to actually get considerably better with the little space they will have available, even in the offseason. They also have nothing to trade that will get them anything close to actual value.

Reactions: Ishkabible

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Which is why he has painted himself into a corner. No team is gonna take any of them off our books, and definitely not at the deadline, when short term thinking is on the agenda.

There might be some hope in the summer when Palmieri and Nelson enter into their final year, but knowing Lou, he is closer to extending them than trading them. The Islanders need wriggle room, but it's awfully hard to see where they'll be getting it to actually get considerably better with the little space they will have available, even in the offseason. They also have nothing to trade that will get them anything close to actual value.
Most teams are painted into a corner with the cap. The isles are not unique in that situation. Teams have to swap cap hits first, players second since there’s no room.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Most teams are painted into a corner with the cap. The isles are not unique in that situation. Teams have to swap cap hits first, players second since there’s no room.
Most teams are boxed in with their top heavy lineups. Lou is boxed in with bottom heavy contracts. Those are the ones that are problematic. But there will always be someone for high end talent.

I doubt Lou is inclined to trade Horvat, Barzal, Dobson or Sorokin. The players he would be inclined to move off the bottom 6 or last pair defensemen are over-termed or overpriced.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Most teams are boxed in with their top heavy lineups. Lou is boxed in with bottom heavy contracts. Those are the ones that are problematic. But there will always be someone for high end talent.

I doubt Lou is inclined to trade Horvat, Barzal, Dobson or Sorokin. The players he would be inclined to move off the bottom 6 or last pair defensemen are over-termed or overpriced.
I agree, but time and again, people say this guy and that guy aren’t or can’t be traded, yet it happens.

If teams want a deal, then they will work the cap part out. Does anyone want Engvall? Nope, but maybe someone does in their mind he brings costs certainty for 7 years and that’s more important to them in a deal. Teams and GMs do stupid things all the time.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Lou loves this team (core, whatever). So, I think it's foolish to think, since he feels this team can compete, he will deal Parms, Pageau, Clutter or Martin.

The only players I see him moving, which is why I don't see how it works, is Wally, Bolduc, Aho, prospects in system and picks

Reactions: duster19

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Lou loves this team (core, whatever). So, I think it's foolish to think, since he feels this team can compete, he will deal Parms, Pageau, Clutter or Martin.

The only players I see him moving, which is why I don't see how it works, is Wally, Bolduc, Aho, prospects in system and picks
Or maybe Roy brings a different perspective and asks for certain players.

I get the sense there’s a Arnott-style trade coming.

Reactions: doublechili

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011

Listen, I hope you are right that Lou is open to listening and actually bring in players that his coach wants, not him! But the old fart is stubborn, I just don't see it. Not this year. Maybe in the offseason where Roy will have more time evaluating roster and system

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

I recall that after Lou became GM and then hired Trotz, the two of them got together to evaluate the roster and decide how to move forward. So there is some precedent for the coach having some input (granted the Trotz thing was more of a clean slate situation).

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Was Bailey on the PK last year? What has changed from last year to have such a drastic change in PK results?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I recall that after Lou became GM and then hired Trotz, the two of them got together to evaluate the roster and decide how to move forward. So there is some precedent for the coach having some input (granted the Trotz thing was more of a clean slate situation).
I kinda viewed that Roy is here to get this team (maybe not necessarily this group) into the playoffs this season.

Roy brings another perspective on the players. I see Lou taking that under advisement and seeking to making change or changes.

Bc the UFA market is limited, it’s either going to force a quiet deadline or one where teams are trading players with term to adjust budgets, changes of scenery, etc.

I raise Arnott bc he made statement trades with him and traded out players (good ones), yeah different era, but Lou needs to make a player move here. Too many no show games have moved beyond it’s the coach, it’s the makeup of the players.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I kinda viewed that Roy is here to get this team (maybe not necessarily this group) into the playoffs this season.

Roy brings another perspective on the players. I see Lou taking that under advisement and seeking to making change or changes.

Bc the UFA market is limited, it’s either going to force a quiet deadline or one where teams are trading players with term to adjust budgets, changes of scenery, etc.

I raise Arnott bc he made statement trades with him and traded out players (good ones), yeah different era, but Lou needs to make a player move here. Too many no show games have moved beyond it’s the coach, it’s the makeup of the players.
But who is that Arnott player? I don't see anyone that is around 2M. Again, I go to the fact that I don't see Lou moving the core guys - Parms, Pageau, Clutter or Martin. For a deal for an impact player you need to move 1 or 2 of them.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Core is locked up, the stars are in their prime. I think we will see some retool perhaps in off-season where someone like Lee and or Nelson isn’t here snd they attempt to get a bit younger and hopefully faster and better in spots like that but for next few years with Barzal, Dobson, Horvat and Sorokin they are going to try and win.

What stars are you referring to? Sorry but the only potential "stars" on this team is Sorokin when he's on (and he hasn't been all season for some reason), and maybe Dobson.

McDavid, Matthews, Makar, Kucherov, Pastrnak, MacKinnon, etc...Those are stars. We literally have none on offense (which is scary). Horvat and Barzal are good players - Not elite players.

I totally agree as most everyone else would that Barzal, Dobson, Horvat and Sorokin are the core right now, but compare that core to the core of the last decade + of Cup winners I would hope most would also agree that pretty much every year that group of 4 isn't of the same talent level.

We need to IMPROVE the talent level on this team. Just because fans (or a GM) have identified a group of players to build around, doesn't mean that that core is good enough. Without having Sorokin stand on his head, and/or getting back a true hall of fame coach like Trotz this team is going to most likely miss the playoffs (again)...Much less get anywhere near a Cup.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Agreed.

Here's the bigger concern...

Because there's barely any cap to acuqire a player...What if Lou trades the next TWO 1st rounders (and possibly more) to not only acquire yet another "middle 6" forward, but also dump a contract like Pageau to fit that new contract in.

:oops:

All we have to do is look at his pattern of behavior to know that Lou...

• Has little/no interest in waiting on young talent (given his age and age of the roster).
  • Is more than find dumping (top) picks like they were as valuable
  • ...Has done so with our 1st rounder for four years in a row now.
  • Hands out long term contracts like his business cards at a trade show.

Honestly cap hell (or trading for players) doesn't mean much if you are willing to pay the price to make it happen. And as we saw with Ladd and Bailey as cap dumps...As well.as the deals for Romanov, Palmieri, and Pageau, Lou has made it clear he'll pay that price.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Is it possible that Lou knows this is his last job and he's "all in" on this team not because he should be, but rather because at his age how could he be anything else?

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
What stars are you referring to? Sorry but the only potential "stars" on this team is Sorokin when he's on (and he hasn't been all season for some reason), and maybe Dobson.

McDavid, Matthews, Makar, Kucherov, Pastrnak, MacKinnon, etc...Those are stars. We literally have none on offense (which is scary). Horvat and Barzal are good players - Not elite players.

I totally agree as most everyone else would that Barzal, Dobson, Horvat and Sorokin are the core right now, but compare that core to the core of the last decade + of Cup winners I would hope most would also agree that pretty much every year that group of 4 isn't of the same talent level.

We need to IMPROVE the talent level on this team. Just because fans (or a GM) have identified a group of players to build around, doesn't mean that that core is good enough. Without having Sorokin stand on his head, and/or getting back a true hall of fame coach like Trotz this team is going to most likely miss the playoffs (again)...Much less get anywhere near a Cup.

Isles have:

- Top 20ish and Top 30ish Center
- Top 10 defenseman trending upward
- Top 3 goalie (when on) and #2 backup
- Whatever you want to call Barzal, who is currently 9th amongst wingers in points

If I were an 80 year old GM I'd probably look at that on paper and probably try and add a first line winger who's contract ends before Dobson has to get paid. The name that fits that description the closest from a team not necessarily headed to the playoffs is probably Pavel Buchnevich. But yeah, we're in a position where we have to battle back into the playoffs so probably not the best time to go tossing around 1sts

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

Pageau has been pretty shitty under Roy and after Mclean came up and was fine I think that's the player you move to make a statement to the others as he seems to be pretty well liked. Outside of the obvious trade targets they're like Tarasenko and Chychrun, I wonder if Giroux would waive his NMC to get off of a last place team and play for a Francophone Legend. Pageau is a home town hero there and is probably a little more than a cap dump for them. just thinking out loud...

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Pageau has been pretty shitty under Roy and after Mclean came up and was fine I think that's the player you move to make a statement to the others as he seems to be pretty well liked. Outside of the obvious trade targets they're like Tarasenko and Chychrun, I wonder if Giroux would waive his NMC to get off of a last place team and play for a Francophone Legend. Pageau is a home town hero there and is probably a little more than a cap dump for them. just thinking out loud...
Lou would be adding a first round pick + to swap Giroux for Pageau and in the process pick up a better player but one who is already 36 years old.

No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad