Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Your giving up your first this year to do that, I agree both players certainly would fit and would help but you’d need to trade a forward to make room. Is Henrique better than Pageau at this point as example, I’d say no. I believe the old Lou line when you have time you use it applies to team. They have 12 games prior to deadline and now are healthy so let’s see if they can go on run before making deadline decisions.
I’m fine with giving up the first in that deal. You could include Wahlstrom to simplify the roster movement. In the offseason they could move Palmieri if they think Holmstrom can move into that role comfortably next season and then re-sign Henrique to something like 3x4M. Lines could look like this:

Vatrano-Horvat-Barzal
Lee-Nelson-Holmstrom
Henrique-Pageau-Engvall
Maclean-Cizikas-Fasching

That’s a pretty strong F group.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
If you look at our cap situation, it's clear that there will be no rebuild or retool this year as we are locked in for our cap next year too. the earliest we will see a retool is next trade deadline if the team stinks. i would expect another pick to go out this year, if at all possible to fit under the cap.
Teams can swap players to make the cap hits work…A lot of teams are in the same position as the Isles. I mean Anaheim has a lot of space, well, bc they are rebuilding…

More than 20 teams have less than $2M in cap space, t

Reactions: mm11 and Potvottier

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah. They need a bit more balance. They desperately need someone who can play on the 3rd line, and PK. Pageau is losing too many battles, and Wahlstrom is not the help he needs.

If I had my way, NYI would acquire a C who can PK, then bump Cizikas up with Pageau & Holmstrom. Strongly prefer keeping 1st & 2nd rounders. 2024 4th, 5th, 2025 3rd, Wahlstrom available.
I think if Nelson gets hot, or the power play heats up (currently 3 for 25), which would likely be one and the same, that will propel us. If his line continues at the current pace we will probably be battling for a playoff spot in Game 82.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I looked at TSN's trade bait board and these are the names that seem like possibilities:

Henrique
Tarasenko
Duclair
Vatrano
Frost
and less likely:
Eberle (?!)
Buchnevich
Zegras

BTW, I wonder if the sudden Wahlstrom thing is about giving him a chance or evaluating him as a possible trade chip?

Thinking Wally is part new coach perspective, the other is getting him some visibility for a trade.

He just doesn’t know where to go on the ice to score. Doubt that lightbulb goes on.

Reactions: Lights911

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Thinking Wally is part new coach perspective, the other is getting him some visibility for a trade.

He just doesn’t know where to go on the ice to score. Doubt that lightbulb goes on.
Agree on Wally. Think Vatrano may be a sneaky acquisition by Lou to play alongside #14 and ice capades

Reactions: NickyP76

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I’m fine with giving up the first in that deal. You could include Wahlstrom to simplify the roster movement. In the offseason they could move Palmieri if they think Holmstrom can move into that role comfortably next season and then re-sign Henrique to something like 3x4M. Lines could look like this:

Vatrano-Horvat-Barzal
Lee-Nelson-Holmstrom
Henrique-Pageau-Engvall
Maclean-Cizikas-Fasching

That’s a pretty strong F group.
First of all, a 1st and Wahlstrom isn't getting Vatrano and Henrique. Sean Monahan got a 1st + conditional 3rd just for him. Henrique is easily comparable, and Vatrano is a 20 goal scorer. That would cost closer to two 1sts than a 1st + Wahlstrom. Second, NYI would be over the cap unless they dumped Palmieri, or had an season-ending injury to a significant player.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
First of all, a 1st and Wahlstrom isn't getting Vatrano and Henrique. Sean Monahan got a 1st + conditional 3rd just for him. Henrique is easily comparable, and Vatrano is a 20 goal scorer. That would cost closer to two 1sts than a 1st + Wahlstrom. Second, NYI would be over the cap unless they dumped Palmieri, or had a season-ending injury to a significant player.
I never said that’s all it would take. Disagree that it would take two firsts though. 1st for Vatrano (due to the extra year, if he was a rental I don’t think he gets a 1st) and 2nd+ Wahlstrom for Henrique is how I looked at it. I also said they should look to move Palmieri in the offseason as well to fit Henrique in past this year. In the mean time there are a lot of cap gymnastics teams do to fit what they want. If Lou truly wanted these guys I think he’d find a way to make it work.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
First of all, a 1st and Wahlstrom isn't getting Vatrano and Henrique. Sean Monahan got a 1st + conditional 3rd just for him. Henrique is easily comparable, and Vatrano is a 20 goal scorer. That would cost closer to two 1sts than a 1st + Wahlstrom. Second, NYI would be over the cap unless they dumped Palmieri, or had a season-ending injury to a significant player.
Lou got Palms and Zajac for a bunch of junk swapped, a 1st, conditional 4th, and NJ eating 50% to make the trade work.

No one is trading 2 firsts for those players…

Reactions: NickyP76

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Henrique I'm on board with because he can play C or LW, full special teams guy, not soft, and character has been vetted by Lamoriello. Also his only playoff run years ago with NJ didn't raise any red flags.

Sure he's 34, but he's probably got a few good years left in him which would buy enough time for guy like Danny Nelson to age and mature.

I think we should look into trading Pelech ASAP. Im sure someone would be willing to listen.
Why would Adam Pelech waive his NTC?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The Isles would have plenty of assets to get Henrique and Vatrano if they traded Brock to COL. Not sure if that's smart - just saying.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I see that Frost and Zegras are on TSN's trade bait list. I'm honestly not familiar with either of their overall games other than knowing that they're young and skilled. Just wondering if they could be a Romanov type acquisition at forward. Any other potential "change of scenery" youngsters out there? I guess we've mentioned Hoglander too.

Reactions: xECK29x

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I see that Frost and Zegras are on TSN's trade bait list. I'm honestly not familiar with either of their overall games other than knowing that they're young and skilled. Just wondering if they could be a Romanov type acquisition at forward. Any other potential "change of scenery" youngsters out there? I guess we've mentioned Hoglander too.

I would take Zegras, but I wouldn’t give up a ton to get him. And Palmieri or another vet would have to be going the other way. I question Zegras motor, but we could potentially get him for pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think we should look into trading Pelech ASAP. Im sure someone would be willing to listen.

5.75M/year for the next 5.5 years for a player who has not only become injury prone, but is playing the worst of his career when he's healthy.

By "willing to listen" do you mean "hang up?"

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Zegras should be a total star in this league. Oodles and oodles of talent, and personality (and evidently sometimes too much for even his own teammates).

Problem is...Not sure he takes the game seriously enough. The fact that Anaheim would even consider trading a 22 year old who's scored like 150 points in his first 200 games should tell you something is wrong there.

That said if he can become more of a professional, work his tail off, and just let his play do the talking, he could be a top 10 player in this league in a few years. To trade for him you'd be making a bet on that (and the growing pains to reach that point). He's on a bridge deal right now so he's owed a new contract in 2 years and you can be sure he'll want around 8-9M minimum if he keeps scoring like he is.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I would take Zegras, but I wouldn’t give up a ton to get him. And Palmieri or another vet would have to be going the other way. I question Zegras motor, but we could potentially get him for pennies on the dollar.
Zebras is from Westchester or Rockland I believe, Rangers have been rumored to be interested. Isles would have to consider him an option just not sure we have what it would take to get him and then what is he really. He’s highlight offensive player on bad team, is he star center you build around or just a guy who gets points but never seems to be winning player?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I want Kaliyev. He's on TSN's list and if there's anyone that might not cost a lot but could be a potential top line goal scorer to fit with Horvat and Barzal long term, it's him. At 22 years old, I feel he's ready to break out in the right environment.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Zebras is from Westchester or Rockland I believe, Rangers have been rumored to be interested. Isles would have to consider him an option just not sure we have what it would take to get him and then what is he really. He’s highlight offensive player on bad team, is he star center you build around or just a guy who gets points but never seems to be winning player?
I’ve seen enough Anaheim games to see he’s more about cultivating his image vs. taking the next level on his game.

Reactions: Glorydays22

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I want Kaliyev. He's on TSN's list and if there's anyone that might not cost a lot but could be a potential top line goal scorer to fit with Horvat and Barzal long term, it's him. At 22 years old, I feel he's ready to break out in the right environment.
I totally agree, I think he's a perfect fit

I’ve seen enough Anaheim games to see he’s more about cultivating his image vs. taking the next level on his game.
I don't want him...he seems too much of a me player. Just likes to be flashy

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I totally agree, I think he's a perfect fit

I don't want him...he seems too much of a me player. Just likes to be flashy

If they can combine their 2nd this year along with a prospect or whatever and not subtract from the roster or lose the 1st, it's a no brainer for me. Have been a big fan of his game since the OHL. Incredible skill, release, and hockey sense.

Kaliyev - Horvat - Barzal
Lee - Nelson - Palmieri
Engvall - Pageau - Holmstrom
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
MacLean/Fashing/Wahlstrom

Martin and Clutter walk at the end of the year and we get younger/faster/cheaper on the 4th line moving forward.

Reactions: MJF and Glorydays22

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
He's from Fox Lane HS in Bedford, NY. Westchester County. A friend of mine who refs games saw a lot of him growing up and used to gush about him.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The Isles could absolutely rebuild. If you're going to tear things down, Barzal and Sorokin have NTCs that kick in on July 1st, so trade them before that. Dobson has no trade protection. Huge returns for those 3. Once you trade those guys, Horvat, etc. would waive their protection to go somewhere else. Nelson has value - a lot actually. Romanov ditto. Some disagree, but I think Pulock and Pelech would return assets. Even guys like Lee and Palmieri and JGP could bring back assets in the last year of their deals. Anybody who can't be moved can fill in the uniform during the extended years of tanking. Sounds like fun, right?

I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, but it can be done.
Thought we were all talking about retooling... not rebuilding. I think it's just Isles Norway who went nuclear suddenly, which makes sense since he always talks in absolutes. A rebuild is not necessary.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Thought we were all talking about retooling... not rebuilding. I think it's just Isles Norway who went nuclear suddenly, which makes sense since he always talks in absolutes. A rebuild is not necessary.
No need to rebuild but the simple fact is that this team is not anywhere near good enough to win this year. Nobody would believe that, not even the most positive guys on this board would think we are actually in with a shot at the cup.

If anything, the TDL is better spent in peace. If they are looking at adding, then it better be someone young enough to have a chance a turning their game around and who has substantial upside if we're lucky, like Kalyiev, Frost or Zegras, not players past their prime like Henrique.

Then come the offseason, it's time to start the retool. Try to get rid of Lee, Pageau and Palmieri to make space both on the cap and for younger players. Even if Roy has seemingly turned things around a bit for the short term, it's not too long before things go back to being stale if the same team is brought back next season.

Reactions: Ishkabible

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
No need to rebuild but the simple fact is that this team is not anywhere near good enough to win this year. Nobody would believe that, not even the most positive guys on this board would think we are actually in with a shot at the cup.

If anything, the TDL is better spent in peace. If they are looking at adding, then it better be someone young enough to have a chance a turning their game around and who has substantial upside if we're lucky, like Kalyiev, Frost or Zegras, not players past their prime like Henrique.

Then come the offseason, it's time to start the retool. Try to get rid of Lee, Pageau and Palmieri to make space both on the cap and for younger players. Even if Roy has seemingly turned things around a bit for the short term, it's not too long before things go back to being stale if the same team is brought back next season.
I always think if you're in the playoffs you have a shot. Starts with Sorokin,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad