Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Never saw an update on Bortuzzo, I assume he's basically done for the year? No news is bad news when it comes to injuries.

Such a weird injury, looked like his knee/leg/ankle just fell out underneath him.

Reactions: Osakahaus

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I haven’t completely given up on the season and although I don’t expect it, I’d like to see the Isles sneak in to the playoffs. If the only way that can happen is for Lou to trade next year‘s first round pick then count me out. I’m not ashamed to admit that I would rather be in the lottery if those were my only two choices.

We currently have a -22 goal differential which places us seventh worst in the entire league. That metric has been a pretty good barometer for teams making the playoffs. You can lament the missed opportunities in games against Chicago and Montreal but anyway you slice it, it ain’t looking good my friends.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We currently have a -22 goal differential which places us seventh worst in the entire league. That metric has been a pretty good barometer for teams making the playoffs. You can lament the missed opportunities in games against Chicago and Montreal but anyway you slice it, it ain’t looking good my friends.
This is the part that will keep us out of the playoffs. 34 games left to get the defense fixed.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I haven’t completely given up on the season and although I don’t expect it, I’d like to see the Isles sneak in to the playoffs. If the only way that can happen is for Lou to trade next year‘s first round pick then count me out. I’m not ashamed to admit that I would rather be in the lottery if those were my only two choices.

I’m in agreement, will be a bumpy ride, they’ll make it to the playoffs. In part, because a lot of the other teams are just as inconsistent.

The Isles really lost headway earlier in the season and should be in a better top down position.

I’d like this team and some of its players to start having an impact on the game from the drop of the puck. Not this, go down by 2, then tie it up, then lose and everyone is going look what they did to tie it up. How about, don’t even go down by two and step up waaaaay earlier.

Dobson is collecting points and having a nice impact up front, but he’s also netting out his impact with boneheaded errors that lead to goals against. That’s the stuff that needs to stop.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Parise officialy to the avs.

Has taken too long to shore up the D. The idea that Pelech and Pulock would come back and right the ship was far fetched. The PL has also been a disaster this year and plays a huge role in the -be differential. There is still time but there needs to be a 180.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
These guys were both injured at the start of the season and had to play in a terrible defensive system. Pelech has played just 25 games and Mayfield has played 33, I don't know what writing them off after this stretch makes sense.

Pelech doesn't need to be a top pairing guy with the emergence of Romanov and Dobson, he needs to be a healthy shutdown second pair guy. Mayfield needs to have structure or he's screwed, his skating isn't good enough to be improvising out there.

I'd shift someone else and roll those dice. Reilly is bigger and more mobile, I'd put him there before having Aho go back in.
Butchie says 5 times a game, " Where is Mayfield going there. He doesn't need to leave the front of the net". He's just dumb at hockey this point.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
This team's GM should resist the urge to deal another first round pick for an impeding 27 year old UFA. If Pelech is out long term, Lou needs to be creative, shrewd, and patient. Not confident that will happen.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

isles are taking this year as to see who stays and who goes. Thats really how I see it. Pageau is honest to god a dead man walking. Clutter and Martin are done. Fasching is gonna be back in the AHL. D needs serious upgrades with Pelech and Pulock imploding more often than not. Engvall is gonna need demotion. Nelson might be quality trade bait. You get the idea.

Last edited:

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
isles are taking this year as to see who stays and who goes. Thats really how I see it. Pageau is honest to god a dead man walking. Clutter and Martin are done. Fasching is gonna be back in the AHL. D needs serious upgrades with Pelech and Pulock imploding more often than not. Engvall is gonna need demotion. Nelson might be quality trade bait. You get the idea.
Get rid of everyone not named Dobson, Barzal, and Horvat?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Butchie says 5 times a game, " Where is Mayfield going there. He doesn't need to leave the front of the net". He's just dumb at hockey this point.
I don’t understand this post. I doubt Butchie would say this. mayfield isn’t a goalie

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don’t understand this post. I doubt Butchie would say this. mayfield isn’t a goalie
Do i have to go back and record it from each game? Mayfield goes behind the net all the time on forwards with the puck who are not in dangerous areas, leaving the front of the net exposed and unguarded. It wouldn't actually be that hard to find, but you have to make it worth my while to find the times he's said it, because he 1000% has on multiple occasions.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think Mayfield is having issues adjusting to Roys coaching...then again...he was doing this before Roy...I got no good excuse why he's making bad decisions.

Reactions: Osakahaus

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
He's said some variation of this dozens of times this season, in reference to just about every defenseman at one time or another.

"There's no reason to follow/chase..."
"You can't leave the slot..."
"He has to stay with his man..."
"Too much room in front of the net..."

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
He's said some variation of this dozens of times this season, in reference to just about every defenseman at one time or another.

Yes, thank you. I'd like to add "he (opposition forward) can't do anything from there."

He's been saying it about Mayfield A LOT.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Seems like the defense lacks the confidence of a system and in the forwards do their job too.

These players are all out of sorts between Trotz structure and Lamberts unleashed/Trotz lite variant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad