Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yes, I understand what you are saying - in this post, but this wasn't the discussion.

IMO, Lou is running the ship, these are his decisions and no one else's. I also believe he has job security. Can that change? Absolutely, if they miss the playoffs this year and next and the one after that - then sure, but IMO, we are not there.

When I write this - I am not saying he's a GOD.

To the bolded - YES, I believe we are in good shape... all 4 of those players are all-star caliber players and they are all at great ages too, so I stick by that.

I said, "So I do have hope with Malkin, but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand like some fans and think that Lou, while a decent GM, is a god."

To me this is it right here. I was NOT talking about you, but you say that I did. "Some fans" does not equal "SI." My posts often trigger you and you're so keen to reply you say you understand what I'm saying, but I think you're replying more to your feelings than what I'm actually writing.

Endgame - We're just going to have to disagree about what "shape" this team is in. I don't get how anyone could look at the assets Lou's given up, how he's spent to the cap, and what he's said about this team and think that not being a shoo-in playoff team, if not Cup contender, is not a total failure by the GM THIS year.

Yet you, and many other fans, are ready to give Lou multiple years to get back on track.

The problem is that this team doesn't have the luxury of being patient literally one more year, much less a few more years, because there is literally no farm system to replace the aging talent that is here right now. Other than Barzal, Horvat, and Dobson, right now every single player is less of a player than they were 3 years ago. That means Lee, Nelson, Palmieri, Pageau Pelech, Mayfield, and the entire 4th line (which was the supposed "engine" of the team) all are worse...And then the roster is filled out with too many AHL level players (Gauthier, Fashing, McLean, Aho, Bolduc, etc) each with too big of a role for the team to be successful.

But what difference does my, your, or anyone else's opinion matter on this? We'll only know once the future plays out. That said I would (unfortunately) bet that the Isles come nowhere near the Cup again with Lou as GM. If I'm wrong and the team makes the semi-finals (or better again) I will admit I'm wrong and give him credit. But if I'm right about him/the team then he deserves responsibility for the mess he's solely created and should be fired. You say that should happen in a few years and I say I've seen enough. And I think if Lou wasn't lucky enough to have Trotz become a free agent this conversation would be a lot different as I'm not sure another "Lane Lambert" hire in 2018 would've gotten the team anywhere near the semi-finals (much less the playoffs).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I said, "So I do have hope with Malkin, but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand like some fans and think that Lou, while a decent GM, is a god."

To me this is it right here. I was NOT talking about you, but you say that I did. "Some fans" does not equal "SI." My posts often trigger you and you're so keen to reply you say you understand what I'm saying, but I think you're replying more to your feelings than what I'm actually writing.

Endgame - We're just going to have to disagree about what "shape" this team is in. I don't get how anyone could look at the assets Lou's given up, how he's spent to the cap, and what he's said about this team and think that not being a shoo-in playoff team, if not Cup contender, is not a total failure by the GM THIS year.

Yet you, and many other fans, are ready to give Lou multiple years to get back on track.

The problem is that this team doesn't have the luxury of being patient literally one more year, much less a few more years, because there is literally no farm system to replace the aging talent that is here right now. Other than Barzal, Horvat, and Dobson, right now every single player is less of a player than they were 3 years ago. That means Lee, Nelson, Palmieri, Pageau Pelech, Mayfield, and the entire 4th line (which was the supposed "engine" of the team) all are worse...And then the roster is filled out with too many AHL level players (Gauthier, Fashing, McLean, Aho, Bolduc, etc) each with too big of a role for the team to be successful.

But what difference does my, your, or anyone else's opinion matter on this? We'll only know once the future plays out. That said I would (unfortunately) bet that the Isles come nowhere near the Cup again with Lou as GM. If I'm wrong and the team makes the semi-finals (or better again) I will admit I'm wrong and give him credit. But if I'm right about him/the team then he deserves responsibility for the mess he's solely created and should be fired. You say that should happen in a few years and I say I've seen enough. And I think if Lou wasn't lucky enough to have Trotz become a free agent this conversation would be a lot different as I'm not sure another "Lane Lambert" hire in 2018 would've gotten the team anywhere near the semi-finals (much less the playoffs).
I've been posting here a long time, but somehow I've missed the existence of the "Lou is God" contingent.

Reactions: Strummergas

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This tells me a lot about what Parisi thinks our chances are on making a run in the playoffs....
Exactly what I thought the second I saw the signing...

Or the commitment he made with his family was to be closer to home after leaving them behind for 2 years in NY?

Then of course there's the denial/severe optimist's take...

• Flight from Minneapolis to Denver: 2 hours, 13 minutes
  • Flight from Minneapolis to New York: 2 hours, 49 minutes

(*Data acquired by FlightConnections.com)

So instead of just staying retired and spending the next 24/7 with his family for the rest of their lives...Parise gave up the *better* chance to win a Cup with the Isles to save roughly an hour flight time...When he's basically going to be on the road for the next 4-6 months regardless.

It's a taek for sure.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I've been posting here a long time, but somehow I've missed the existence of the "Lou is God" contingent.

Oh it's started to fade, but when he got here you know all those posts saying "In Lou we trust" or that avatar with Lou's face superimposed over the Godfather? Those people were/are the "contingent." It's anyone who simply trusts anything that Lou does with the belief it will work out eventually (when it's not) without questioning anything along the way.

If you don't think there's a segment of fans that have, and still do, think that way then no need to reply - We just disagree.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I wish I had the foresight that to know on that Day 1 Lou was going to be a problem here in Year 5.

Lou was on the right track until he wasn't. He came to a fork in the road in Year 3. He took the wrong path. I don't begrudge him for anything that happened prior to that. And I have no problem calling him out for the mistakes he made and compounded since the 2022 TDL.

I didn't realize I had to take a position FOR or AGAINST Lou back in 2018. He was the right man for the job on that day.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
If you don't think there's a segment of fans that have, and still do, think that way then no need to reply - We just disagree.
In addition to not noticing the "In Lou We Trust" contingent, I also didn't realize there was a Proactive Ignore Button option here. :laugh:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I wish I had the foresight that to know on that Day 1 Lou was going to be a problem here in Year 5.

Lou was on the right track until he wasn't. He came to a fork in the road in Year 3. He took the wrong path. I don't begrudge him for anything that happened prior to that. And I have no problem calling him out for the mistakes he made and compounded since the 2022 TDL.

I didn't realize I had to take a position FOR or AGAINST Lou back in 2018. He was the right man for the job on that day.
You're not allowed to enjoy life because one day you'll die.

• Haha
Reactions: MarsTBOW and MJF

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Granted we may have our favorite players, but don't most of us really just root for the laundry (a phrase coined by a LIer)? That's especially true re: coaches and management. I want them to do a good job so that the laundry performs better. The exception is Arbour, but he earned that because of the success of the laundry under him. Even Torrey was knocked down several notches after Devellano left and the team floundered. Re: Lou, I think we're allowed to evolve from "good job" to "er, maybe you can start thinking about retirement?". That's especially true since there was a shift to the league favoring more wide open play a couple of years ago, and Lou doesn't really do that.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Per Pagnotta

Term wasn’t announced when Patrick Roy was hired as Head Coach of the New York Islanders, but I’m told it’s a three-year contract (the rest of this season and the following two seasons).

Get rid of everyone not named Dobson, Barzal, and Horvat?
Get rid of the fat overtime. Its time to move on from the MC2 line.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Idk how long Pulock or now Pelech would be out but I'd love to add Buchnevich with their cap money.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Some advance baseless speculation for the summer: Jonathan Marchessault is a UFA this summer. He's 33, just scores, and played for Roy in juniors. VGK still haven't extended him - not sure what the status is. The issue with him will be term at his age. But he'd look great on the wing on one of the top 2 lines if all it costs is money. Obviously this would not be a "future" move. :laugh:

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Idk how long Pulock or now Pelech would be out but I'd love to add Buchnevich with their cap money.

A few weeks ago I was saying that I’d love Buch, but right now we are sitting 10th in the conference (12ty by point percentage). I don’t think this is the time to add to this team. If Pelech and Pulock are both out for a while this is the year to sell off assets IMO.

Move on from all UFAs, see what you can get for Nelson, and frankly anyone not named Barzal, Horvat, Romanov, Dobson, and Sorokin should be made available.

Go into this summer with a lot of ammunition and some cap space.

The hockey gods know we are due for some Rangers/Devils esque lottery luck.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
If Roy cannot stop the Brain-locking Bad decisions some of our players make, then roster must be changed. Let these idiots commit turnovers somewhere else...

Reactions: xECK29x

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Exactly what I thought the second I saw the signing...

Then of course there's the denial/severe optimist's take...

• Flight from Minneapolis to Denver: 2 hours, 13 minutes
  • Flight from Minneapolis to New York: 2 hours, 49 minutes

(*Data acquired by FlightConnections.com)

So instead of just staying retired and spending the next 24/7 with his family for the rest of their lives...Parise gave up the *better* chance to win a Cup with the Isles to save roughly an hour flight time...When he's basically going to be on the road for the next 4-6 months regardless.

It's a taek for sure.
His family ain’t flying commercial and there’s one hour time zone difference….

I really don’t care what his choice is. Selanne and Kariya played this game once upon a time and got a cup of coffee…

PS - Colorado ain’t winning the Cup says my crystal ball.

Last edited:

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Right now the isles are on pace for 87 points, the current 8th seed Detroit is pacing for 94 points. In order for the isles to finish the season with 95 points they need to finish the rest of the season with 44 points in 34 games, a pace of 106 points over a full season. I just don’t see that happening, and even if it does 95 points may not be enough.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I like Roy, but we need to blow it up - just keep Brazal, Dobson, Sorkin and Horvat...that's it. EVERYONE ELSE IS FAIR GAME

We have to stop this madness. Pelech and Pullock need to be traded while they have little value left. Nelson too unfortunately.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
A few weeks ago I was saying that I’d love Buch, but right now we are sitting 10th in the conference (12ty by point percentage). I don’t think this is the time to add to this team. If Pelech and Pulock are both out for a while this is the year to sell off assets IMO.

Move on from all UFAs, see what you can get for Nelson, and frankly anyone not named Barzal, Horvat, Romanov, Dobson, and Sorokin should be made available.

Go into this summer with a lot of ammunition and some cap space.

The hockey gods know we are due for some Rangers/Devils esque lottery luck.
I definitely wouldn't sell, I do agree that with the place in standings we shouldn't buy but I also really believe in Roy so I'm torn. My feelings this season has been fire the coach, save your first but I like the direction of the team after 3 games, looking forward to tonight and seeing where the team places itself by the deadline to continue this conversation but really it's up to the players on what Lou does. For today and tomorrow I think we should keep our first but you don't get Buch without one but man I don't want to waste the years Barzy, Horvat, Nelson and Dobber are having. I might be optimistic but Sorokin is still a top 3 goalie in talent. I really need this team in the dance.

To add to my run on thought above, the metro sucks this year. Going 21-10-3 or whatever is doable. Very doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad