Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Nice to come back here and see that everyone is mostly happy, lol. Although I guess there is still time for a turn.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The worst prospect pool in the league has produced a Norris candidate, 20-25 goal scorer, and acquired Bo Horvat in the last 12 months.
Like everyone here I’m getting more optimistic about this team as the season has progressed but I feel the need to do a little fact check.

The references regarding Dobson and Holmstrom typically go hand-in-hand with other posts (not necessarily by you) that repeatedly say how first round picks aren’t worth all that much.

There’s a bit of a disconnect there.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I would be shocked if Lou doesn’t go all in again. He does it every year. I don’t see this year being any different. Still a lot of time between now and the deadline.
Once upon a time, going all in in Islanders country was hoping to get pennies on the dollar at the deadline and watching lotto balls in the summer.

Going all in should be applauded in the right circumstances vs. lauded because the Isles don’t have everything checked off and are labeled as a contender.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Just wait until the Secret Weapon is signed as the ultimate black ace for the stretch run. When Josh Bailey is signed for the push for the playoffs, then the league is truly in trouble.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
If this team can learn how to play in third periods, I’d feel very good about this team

Talent wise, probably the most talent they’ve had in the last decade

Of course, stats nerds like Dom L. Be damned because their fancy stats say they aren’t good lmao

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Think of @Chapin Landvogt

Our draft material is suffering because he has nothing to brief us on.

I have so much to share.

But so little of it has to do with Islander prospects...

Nonetheless, there's no acute need from within at the moment. Everyone can bake and marinate for now and prolly even next season, especially with the emergence of Dobson as a ne plus ultra Dman and Holmstrom as an all-round contributing 3rd liner. The need for both LHDs and RHDs won't be pertinent anytime soon, save for LT injuries. There should be some nice LHD options from within when the time comes.

A more likely scenario is that any prospects making noise turn into trade chips to upgrade or bring in an answer should key players be out for longer periods of time.

Don't see any forwards they're "waiting" on with juices foaming at the mouth to work them in somehow.

Reactions: PWJunior

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Like everyone here I’m getting more optimistic about this team as the season has progressed but I feel the need to do a little fact check.

The references regarding Dobson and Holmstrom typically go hand-in-hand with other posts (not necessarily by you) that repeatedly say how first round picks aren’t worth all that much.

If a GM and his staff evaluate a draft based on a range they expect to be in, then feel they are better off with a player to help now vs. what may be there, then that’s what they are paid to do.

It’s the linear thinking that ALL first round picks become difference makers so they must be kept at all costs. Look at Wally vs Dobson. Beau vs. Barzal. Same drafts. Say the Isles had one pick in each, they went Wally and Beau…? Yikes.

Sometimes you get Crosby, other times you get Ryan and Barker…

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I would be shocked if Lou doesn’t go all in again. He does it every year. I don’t see this year being any different. Still a lot of time between now and the deadline.
He didn’t do it year 1.

There is no need for veteran D with Reilly and Bortuzzo adds… that box has been checked.

Parise returns after the holidays.

IMO, Any all-in move should be with eye on now and tomorrow.

I still think Pinto would fit that and that move could push Pageau to C Cizikas and C buck.

Reactions: Glorydays22

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
He didn’t do it year 1.

There is no need for veteran D with Reilly and Bortuzzo adds… that box has been checked.

Parise returns after the holidays.

IMO, Any all-in move should be with eye on now and tomorrow.

I still think Pinto would fit that and that move could push Pageau to C Cizikas and C buck.
Has Lou made ANY move of significance without an eye on tomorrow?

Reactions: SI

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The worst prospect pool in the league has produced a Norris candidate, 20-25 goal scorer, and acquired Bo Horvat in the last 12 months.

No one was saying that the prospect pool was barren when Dobson was actually just a prospect.

That said, to be clear you are referring to the…

2018 - 12th overall pick
2019 - 23rd overall pick
2013 - 9th overall pick (and a 1st in 2015, 2023, and a 2nd in 2021 used to get him)

Let just not be cavalier about the fact that (1st round/high) draft picks are what fills up a prospect pool and can be incredibly valuable when used correctly.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
If a GM and his staff evaluate a draft based on a range they expect to be in, then feel they are better off with a player to help now vs. what may be there, then that’s what they are paid to do.

It’s the linear thinking that ALL first round picks become difference makers so they must be kept at all costs. Look at Wally vs Dobson. Beau vs. Barzal. Same drafts. Say the Isles had one pick in each, they went Wally and Beau…? Yikes.

Sometimes you get Crosby, other times you get Ryan and Barker…
For all the shit that Beau gets around here let’s not forget he was the 28th pick in his draft.

He has 114 NHL goals and nearly 0.5 PPG production. We expected more after his initial few seasons so we were disappointed I get it.

Meanwhile the guy has outperformed his draft status and he’s only 26 years old.

At the same time Ishakov was the 43rd overall pick, he’s 23 years old and has zero NHL goals yet no one’s throwing shade at him.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
No one was saying that the prospect pool was barren when Dobson was actually just a prospect.

2018 - 12th overall pick
2019 - 23rd overall pick
2013 - 9th overall pick (and a 1st in 2015, 2023, and a 2nd in 2021 used to get him)

Let just not be cavalier about the fact that (1st round/high) draft picks are what fills up a prospect pool and can be incredibly valuable when used correctly.
You act like the Isles acquired scrub rentals that were useless. Each of those picks returned productive players filling a need for a team competing now. Each of those players were retained and resigned.

The Isles can’t backfill walk away rentals like other teams. So, the GM has targeted players to acquire and retain.

For all the shit that Beau gets around here let’s not forget he was the 28th pick in his draft.

He has 114 NHL goals and nearly 0.5 PPG production. We expected more after his initial few seasons so we were disappointed I get it.

Meanwhile the guy has outperformed his draft status and he’s only 26 years old.

At the same time Ishakov was the 43rd overall pick, he’s 23 years old and has zero NHL goals yet no one’s throwing shade at him.
Beau has been productive, to an extent, he may very likely been on his 4th team by the deadline, let alone 5th by the summer.

Reactions: BrockLobster

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Dobson was a draft pick as a result from this team or Calgary missing the playoffs. The Lou trades for first round picks have all been lottery protected to an extent if I remember correctly.

That being said Holmstrom was a fantastic pick it is looking more and more like. It all depends what you get with the first rounders.

Horvat: YES
Romanov: Yes
Palmieri: meh this is okay
Pageau: Nope

Not to say additions like Palmieri and Pageau are useless. They played a pivotal role at a certain point. They still play an important role for this team. Injuries have destroyed Pageau and Palmieri is having himself a nice season but not a great one. The right answer is there should be a mix of both.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

2018 - 12th overall pick
2019 - 23rd overall pick

Correct. You can easily draft a Wahlstrom, Ho Sang, MDC, or Reinhart as well though. I would like to see the organization not have to trade EVERY pick in the top 60 and keep every vet they trade for though. I know many are not fans of Bolduc but to me he will be a NHLer with his size and skating ability when he is at the 300 game mark.

Reactions: MJF

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Correct. You can easily draft a Wahlstrom, Ho Sang, MDC, or Reinhart as well though. I would like to see the organization not have to trade EVERY pick in the top 60 and keep every vet they trade for though. I know many are not fans of Bolduc but to me he will be a NHLer with his size and skating ability when he is at the 300 game mark.
Bolduc will probably look a lot better after a break when one of Mayfield, P & P come back. This has been a nice stint for him to get legitimate consistent playing time.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
Note that "used correctly" is inexorably tethered to a strict personal perspective. In other words, there's not more than one way to use it "correctly" and there's no variance with "correctly."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad