Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
From what I can see this year , the Isles need a few more parts and adding another of the “SAME” type of player is probably not the right direction. With only a high pick and Average prospects, the one move to me is getting Hanifin ! That may mean needing to move a Pageau type salary/player but with great goaltending and a healthy defense with a Hanifin, it would make us as close to a contender as we are going to get with good younger D and a committee of decent forwards

Quite honestly, even though I purposed the trade… I’m NOT even a big fan of it. I’m also a bigger fan of Pageau than most here, and agree that his game is coming around… much like it did this time last year.

I only saw this as a deal that might appease the concerns of several differing opinions.

It would allow the Isles to remain competitive this year, while clearing cap space for a quick retool this offseason. All while NOT surrendering a pick.

But as it usually goes… try to make everyone happy, and you usually make no one.

Reactions: MJF

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If Isles are in a solid playoff spot by the deadline. Would you…

NYI: Pageau, Wahlstrom

ANA: Henrique

Personally, I prefer Pageau over Henrique. But he is solid replacement for Pageau this season while opening up cap space for next season.
Rather keep Pageau. Anaheim can have Wahlstrom though. How about Wahlstrom to Anaheim for future future future considerations?

Reactions: CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Rather keep Pageau. Anaheim can have Wahlstrom though. How about Wahlstrom to Anaheim for future future future considerations?
I agree.

But I will say, if I was an opposing GM of a rebuilding team and had the chance of acquiring Pageau… I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

Pageau as we currently see with Holmstrom is exceptional at helping players transition into the pro ranks.

Anyone who plays with him does well.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I agree.

But I will say, if I was an opposing GM of a rebuilding team and had the chance of acquiring Pageau… I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

Pageau as we currently see with Holmstrom is exceptional at helping players transition into the pro ranks.

Anyone who plays with him does well.
Weren’t people trying to blast Pageau into the moon because he wasn’t scoring? He was still getting chances and creating things even if the puck didn’t go into the net directly from him. He does a lot of the little things/intangibles needed to win games. Those advanced stat geeks don’t care though because they think the multi year deal of a goon/overrated ECHLer will lead a team to the promise land of a 2nd round playoff game.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Weren’t people trying to blast Pageau into the moon because he wasn’t scoring? He was still getting chances and creating things even if the puck didn’t go into the net directly from him. He does a lot of the little things/intangibles needed to win games. Those advanced stat geeks don’t care though because they think the multi year deal of a goon/overrated ECHLer will lead a team to the promise land of a 2nd round playoff game.
Yes many were. But that’s because looking at the lineup holistically… there are very few avenues in which to fill two major holes. Pageau at 4m or less would also be more palatable.

But IMO, looking at the lineup… the lack of dynamism of Lee and Palmieri at a combined 12m is more of an issue.

With Horvat, Lee and Palmieri there is a bit of over-redundancy. orvat is a keeper, but if one of Lee or Palmieri could magically be turned into more of a line driver with speed. I think that would go a long way. It’s also a long way from being possible.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yes many were. But that’s because looking at the lineup holistically… there are very few avenues in which to fill two major holes. Pageau at 4m or less would also be more palatable.

But IMO, looking at the lineup… the lack of dynamism of Lee and Palmieri at a combined 12m is more of an issue.

With Horvat, Lee and Palmieri there is a bit of over-redundancy. orvat is a keeper, but if one of Lee or Palmieri could magically be turned into more of a line driver with speed. I think that would go a long way. It’s also a long way from being possible.
Bring Iskhakhov (SP?) and put him with JGP on the 3rd line. He’s got wheels even at the size of 5’2. Lou isn’t going to move Lee or Palmeri so you work with them both until further notice. Thankfully This looks like the end of Martin, Cal and elite shot Ollie on the roster. Even Aho is toast too. I’d bring back Reilly on a 1 year deal and Bortuzzo on a PTO or 1 year then roll with the same 6 otherwise. Bolduc is finally starting to show some confidence alongside Bortuzzo instead of Mayfield.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
If Isles are in a solid playoff spot by the deadline. Would you…

NYI: Pageau, Wahlstrom

ANA: Henrique

Personally, I prefer Pageau over Henrique. But he is solid replacement for Pageau this season while opening up cap space for next season.
Let me get this straight - the isles are in a solid playoff position at the deadline, and you want to mess with the roster of a player for an equal player, just for cap concerns next season?

Sounds like a great idea.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Let me get this straight - the isles are in a solid playoff position at the deadline, and you want to mess with the roster of a player for an equal player, just for cap concerns next season?

Sounds like a great idea.
It’s a chatboard. I’m musing accordingly… playing around with possible ideas. We’re not entering into some legal binding contracts with these posts.

But yes, I was trying to keep the Isles immediately competitive while trying to gain runway (cap space) to make the roster better around the primes of:

Barzal, Horvat
Dobson
Sorokin

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Engvall is the line driver with Nelson and Palmieri, so trading Palmieri for one would screw up the chemistry that line currently enjoys.

The only trade I see happening is one that pairs Aho and Wahlstrom for picks. Or maybe a goalie prospect we can have in the AHL.

If Parise is coming back, we don't have anyone who will slip waivers and Holmstrom is never going back to the AHL. When the defense corps is healthy, Aho will be behind Reilly and Bolduc anyhow. Better to get a few picks than lose to waivers. The problem is other GM's know this too, that Lou will HAVE to make a move when everyone is healthy.

As for Martin, in all likelihood, he is not getting back into the lineup if Wahlstrom can't. I suspect Lou has already had that discussion with Matt and we'll see the 'lingering' injury on and off this season, and only if Fasching AND Gauthier get injured at the same time, will Matt get back into the lineup. Have to face facts that he's been beaten out.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
1702768651453.png

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If the Isles did want to go all-in at the deadline and acquire Hanifin they would have the space to do so only if Calgary retains 50%, but it is next season's cap situation that makes a move like that complicated. I guess Lou can cross that bridge in the offseason to see how they can fit Hanifin's extension and the Cap.

Palmieri's cap would be easiest to move - I would not expect much of a return.

If they signed Hanifin for 7.5/8, Holmstrom for a modest raise, and the move for Palmieri to simply dump the cap hit. The Isles could get there, but Gauthier and Fasching are the teams RW2 and RW3 with Lou bargain-hunting at the league minimum to fill out the 4th line, 13th F, and a 7th D man.

I think it is best to bargain-hunt for a 6th D man who could move the puck - Reilly has been that, and gives Bolduc more time to develop, and Isles keep the assets OR use it to grab PINTO.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
If the Isles did want to go all-in at the deadline and acquire Hanifin they would have the space to do so only if Calgary retains 50%, but it is next season's cap situation that makes a move like that complicated. I guess Lou can cross that bridge in the offseason to see how they can fit Hanifin's extension and the Cap.

If they signed Hanifin for 7.5/8, Holmstrom for a modest raise, and the move for Palmieri to simply dump the cap hit. The Isles could get there, but Gauthier and Fasching are the teams RW2 and RW3 with Lou bargain-hunting at the league minimum to fill out the 4th line, 13th F, and a 7th D man.

I think it is best to bargain-hunt for a 6th D man who could move the puck - Reilly has been that, and gives Bolduc more time to develop, and Isles keep the assets OR use it to grab PINTO.
Lou’s not dumping or trading Palms. He’s been one of the best playoff performers since he arrived - that’s what Lou got him for.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Engvall is the line driver with Nelson and Palmieri, so trading Palmieri for one would screw up the chemistry that line currently enjoys.

The only trade I see happening is one that pairs Aho and Wahlstrom for picks. Or maybe a goalie prospect we can have in the AHL.

If Parise is coming back, we don't have anyone who will slip waivers and Holmstrom is never going back to the AHL. When the defense corps is healthy, Aho will be behind Reilly and Bolduc anyhow. Better to get a few picks than lose to waivers. The problem is other GM's know this too, that Lou will HAVE to make a move when everyone is healthy.

As for Martin, in all likelihood, he is not getting back into the lineup if Wahlstrom can't. I suspect Lou has already had that discussion with Matt and we'll see the 'lingering' injury on and off this season, and only if Fasching AND Gauthier get injured at the same time, will Matt get back into the lineup. Have to face facts that he's been beaten out.
Reilly >> Aho > Bolduc

Reactions: ekill08x

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Quite honestly, even though I purposed the trade… I’m NOT even a big fan of it. I’m also a bigger fan of Pageau than most here, and agree that his game is coming around… much like it did this time last year.

I only saw this as a deal that might appease the concerns of several differing opinions.

It would allow the Isles to remain competitive this year, while clearing cap space for a quick retool this offseason. All while NOT surrendering a pick.

But as it usually goes… try to make everyone happy, and you usually make no one.
I do want to agree Pageau has been playing much better. No coincidence that he and Lee improve and we go on a tear.
It’s a chatboard. I’m musing accordingly… playing around with possible ideas. We’re not entering into some legal binding contracts with these posts.
As you should

I want Hanafin but can't wrap my head around making it work long term. As you point out, you'd have to lose Palms next year and that creates another hole to plug one. Reilly as a 6th dman might be better trade off then Gauthier in the top 6. If Whally played well you can justify him moving up. Maybe Holmstrom on his off wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad