Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I really don’t understand the logic of this deadline if we end up making no moves. We’re not a contender if we stand pat and it would pretty much force us to re-sign Mayfield and maybe even Varly since we didn’t move them, but doing that gives us zero cap space to add for next year without somehow shedding a couple contracts. Just a really perplexing deadline imo.

Do Horvat and Engvall not count becuase they didn't happen AT the deadline?

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I don't understand us wanting to add more just to possibly get the 8th spot and get ROLLED By Boston. Oh and by the way, have Mayfield, Vary and Parise left this offseason with us getting anything in return.

• Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Don’t think he really has much game left. Doesn’t add anything to a bottom 6.

He got Horvat and Engvall

Well if you're going to buy, you might as well fill all the holes, not just some of them.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
From a tactics standpoint - I think he has that element. I love the fact that he has the D more aggressively and not playing it too conservatively, whether it is D jumping in the play more or challenging forwards in the neutral zone. IMO, a sign of a poor coach is when the team does not buy into a system or identity (Green and the Canucks) or when there is a lack of structure (Boudreau and the Canucks) - I guess with Green it is more of losing the room and no longer having trust from the players. We are not seeing that here.

You are right we are not in the room or on the bench to see how Lane is doing. From comments we've read from players - we know Lane is more passionate and vocal than Barry was.

All fair points. Really respect your takes and this is another.

You are correct that the team has not played to its potential, but to be fair many here -you included- have criticized that the Isles are a mediocre team and so maybe they are exactly where they should be an above-average team playing above 500 hockey nothing more. I don't think that's on the coach is the roster or personnel.

Lane definitely has them all pulling in the right direction and doing it undermanned and that is to his credit.

I don't know if he is the right person for the job - I need more time to evaluate, like making the playoffs and then the playoffs.

I view the team through this prism - Does this team have enough talent and good coaching to win the Cup. Right now I say absolutely not.

That said they do have the talent where I think they should be in the playoffs. If you believe that then we've had too many crap games vs lesser opponents like the Jackets and Blues where you really have to question the effort/coaching that we've been getting.

Have things been moderately better lately? Yes they have, but certainly possible that Horvat is the #1 reason why. Collectively for the season the Isles are playing .547 hockey, but since Horvat came aboard they are now playing 0.625 hockey (even without Barzal). If they played like that all season they'd be above the rangers in the standings.

Roster-wise - I think the team is still hurting from not replacing Toews AND missing that one more piece upfront... I think both those things address the PP and strengthen already a good team at even strength.
Horvat might be that piece upfront, but Aho and Romanov are not that piece on the blueline... hoping for one more move that gives this roster a bit more.

IMO, I think this team secures the 7th spot and faces Carolina in the 1st round. From there we'll see if Lane can outsmart a very good coach in Brind'amour.

Here's the thing that drives me crazy....

All we hear from Lou is how much he believes in this team, and he fact that he's kept this team together and refuses to trade any roster player, or let them walk in free agency, further confirms he thinks they should've be a Cup contender this season.

Yet you go and fire a hall of fame coach in Trotz who led this team to 2 conference finals. Not sure there was anyone better to coach this team, but fine - You thought he wanted to be a GM, the room tuned him out...Whatever. I hated it the moment it happened, but change can be ok so was waiting to see who got next shot.

That said instead of replacing Trotz with a coach with a nice pedigree, what does Lou do...Replace him with a FIRST TIME coach!?! When you are trying to win the Cup is this a smart thing to do? No it is not.

You said it above: "I don't know if he is the right person for the job - I need more time to evaluate, like making the playoffs and then the playoffs." Why is a supposed Cup contending team hiring a guy who we need more time to figure out if he's a good coach?

Last offseason 10 teams hired new coaches, but only 3 gave their HC spot to a first time coach: The Blackhawks, Red Wings, and your New York Islanders. The first two are knee-deep in rebuilds so that makes more sense. Lou refuses to rebuild so you know that's not us, yet he fires a hall of fame coach to and goes with a rookie head coach. For me that's GM malpractice.

Then Lou compounds that mistake by trading yet another 1st rounder which is a great asset and trade it for an inconsistent 22 year old D-man with limited upside?

If the mouth-breaking "In Lou we trust" crowd would pause for a second, you would see both moves a terrible in and of themselves, but even worse when you consider this aging roster should be going for a Cup right now, or rebuilding. Both the Lambert and Romanov moves are honestly the kind moves that Milbury would've made, and why we should probably acknowledge that Trotz was better as a coach than Lou is as a GM. And if that bears out then we're probably fooling ourselves that Lou can lead this team back to the Conference finals...Much less further.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

I view the team through this prism - Does this team have enough talent and good coaching to win the Cup. Right now I say absolutely not.

That said they do have the talent where I think they should be in the playoffs. If you believe that then we've had too many crap games vs lesser opponents like the Jackets and Blues where you really have to question the effort/coaching that we've been getting.

Have things been moderately better lately? Yes they have, but certainly possible that Horvat is the #1 reason why. Collectively for the season the Isles are playing .547 hockey, but since Horvat came aboard they are now playing 0.625 hockey (even without Barzal). If they played like that all season they'd be above the rangers in the standings.

All we hear from Lou is how much he believes in this team, and he fact that he's kept this team together and refuses to trade any roster player, or let them walk in free agency, further confirms he thinks they should've be a Cup contender this season.

Yet you go and fire a hall of fame coach in Trotz who led this team to 2 conference finals. Not sure there was anyone better to coach this team, but fine - You thought he wanted to be a GM, the room tuned him out...Whatever. I hated it the moment it happened, but change can be ok so was waiting to see who got next shot.

That said instead of replacing Trotz with a coach with a nice pedigree, what does Lou do...Replace him with a FIRST TIME coach!?! When you are trying to win the Cup is this a smart thing to do? No it is not.

You said it above: "I don't know if he is the right person for the job - I need more time to evaluate, like making the playoffs and then the playoffs." Why is a supposed Cup contending team hiring a guy who we need more time to figure out if he's a good coach?

Last offseason 10 teams hired new coaches, but only 3 gave their HC spot to a first time coach: The Blackhawks, Red Wings, and your New York Islanders. The first two are knee-deep in rebuilds so that makes more sense. Lou refuses to rebuild so you know that's not us, yet he fires a hall of fame coach to and goes with a rookie head coach. For me that's GM malpractice.

Then Lou compounds that mistake by trading yet another 1st rounder which is a great asset and trade it for an inconsistent 22 year old D-man with limited upside?

If the mouth-breaking "In Lou we trust" crowd would pause for a second, you would see both moves a terrible in and of themselves, but even worse when you consider this aging roster should be going for a Cup right now, or rebuilding. Both the Lambert and Romanov moves are honestly the kind moves that Milbury would've made, and why we should probably acknowledge that Trotz was better as a coach than Lou is as a GM. And if that bears out then we're probably fooling ourselves that Lou can lead this team back to the Conference finals...Much less further.
Oh look. This post again.

We get it. You hate watching isles playoff games.
I prefer watching assets get managed.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

I think we need to move on from the lou fired barry narrative. He obv wanted to be a GM and not a coach anymore.

And we already know that romonov has no upside?

Reactions: doublechili

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Lou's PR team in full force now lol.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with assuming that if he was willing to trade an asset for a rental forward in "going for it" mode that he would (have) also added to arguably our biggest problem right now, which is a blueliner to get Sebastian Aho off the playoff push completely.....

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
We get it. You hate watching isles playoff games.

You are right I hate watching playoff games that we have NO SHOT at winning and looking at this so short-sited.

You can spin it however you want. Hope you are happy watching us play 3 possible games in which we get steamed rolled.

Hope that floats your boat. But me, I want a chance to win a Stanley cup. not just play a few games in the 1st round.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Lou's PR team in full force now lol.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with assuming that if he was willing to trade an asset for a rental forward in "going for it" mode that he would (have) also added to arguably our biggest problem right now, which is a blueliner to get Sebastian Aho off the playoff push completely.....
Exactly. Kulikov for a 3rd? Was that really too much to ask?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think we need to move on from the lou fired barry narrative. He obv wanted to be a GM and not a coach anymore.

Stop cherry picking and instead how about replying to the overall point of the post.

First...If you read carefully I said Lou firing Trotz could be ok. It's who he replaced him with that I believe is a problem - Specifically due to Lane having zero experience as a head coach on a team Lou tells us is a Cup contender.

Next...So do you believe that Lane can lead this team to a Cup or anywhere close?

And we already know that romonov has no upside?

OK - What do you think Romanov's upside is? And independent of that...Do you still like that Lou traded a 1st for him?

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
You are right I hate watching playoff games that we have NO SHOT at winning and looking at this so short-sited.

You can spin it however you want. Hope you are happy watching us play 3 possible games in which we get steamed rolled.

Hope that floats your boat. But me, I want a chance to win a Stanley cup. not just play a few games in the 1st round.

They had no shot of making the ECF back to back seasons either remember?

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Stop cherry picking and instead how about replying to the overall point of the post.

First...If you read carefully I said Lou firing Trotz could be ok. It's who he replaced him with that I believe is a problem - Specifically due to Lane having zero experience as a head coach on a team Lou tells us is a Cup contender.

Next...So do you believe that Lane can lead this team to a Cup or anywhere close?

OK - What do you think Romanov's upside is? And independent of that...Do you still like that Lou traded a 1st for him?

Ok fair on the first lane point.. can he lead this team to a cup? I think thats too early to say.

I am not thrilled w the not having a 1st round pick for about 4 years now. But getting an NHL defenseman for a #13 overall isnt the worst thing thats happened. His upside is probably a 3/4 d man.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
They had no shot of making the ECF back to back seasons either remember?
again, fans can be in denial all you want. This team has not shot and if you guys can't see that, I'm sorry can't help you. We will be stuck in the middle for years to come with no hope all going forward if that's your take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad