Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Pageau is still not ready to return, likely will miss at least 3 more games, Barzal is just off crutches, he might play 9 more games if we are lucky all year and we have a high end back up goalie and solid middle pairing defender on a homerun of contract as pending free agents and our GM is like "I like our chances now and moving forward". Like what are doing here?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
You are right I hate watching playoff games that we have NO SHOT at winning and looking at this so short-sited.

You can spin it however you want. Hope you are happy watching us play 3 possible games in which we get steamed rolled.

Hope that floats your boat. But me, I want a chance to win a Stanley cup. not just play a few games in the 1st round.

Every single Isles playoff victory from 2019 - 2021 (aside from the Panthers play-in) the Isles were extreme underdogs and had "no shot" because they were unsustainable, boring and couldn't score.

2019 Pens
2020 Caps
2020 Flyers
2021 Pens
2021 Bruins

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Every single Isles playoff victory from 2019 - 2021 (aside from the Panthers play-in) the Isles were extreme underdogs and had "no shot" because they were unsustainable, boring and couldn't score.

2019 Pens
2020 Caps
2020 Flyers
2021 Pens
2021 Bruins

Again, if you think this team is good, there's nothing I can say. This is not a good team, I would say those teams in 2019-2021 were better and obviously younger.

But again, if that's everyone's take so be it. There is no way you are going to convince me we are good or have a 1% chance of doing anything if we get into the playoffs this year.

Without checking to researching....My thoughts are, we always played Pens well. Flyers, I don't think they were better, they got hot towards the end of the year if I remember. The only one you can say really really surprised everyone was Boston. But honestly, seriously you think we can even win 1 game against this Boston the with the roster we have now? I say we get shoutout 2 of the 3 games if we make the playoffs.

What is the harm of retooling for next year. Don't lose Mayfield, Vary for nothing. If they truly love the isles, we can re-sign them in the offseason. But get something for them now.

Get a healthy Brazal back with a full offseason to work with Horvat. Maybe Wally becomes the player we all hope for. If not, maybe the NEW GM (god help us please!) moves Wally and something for a more proven scorer. I think with a few good moves in the off-season, I will be right there with you all rooting for this team to go far in the playoffs.

And you think some kind of full rebuild is a guaranteed path to a cup?

Never said anywhere for a full-rebuild. I just stated, let's get some assest for our UFAs and retool in the offseason. We have some pieces in Horvat, Brazal, Sorokin, Dobson, Pelech, Pullock, Nelson.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yet you go and fire a hall of fame coach in Trotz who led this team to 2 conference finals. Not sure there was anyone better to coach this team, but fine - You thought he wanted to be a GM, the room tuned him out...Whatever. I hated it the moment it happened, but change can be ok so was waiting to see who got next shot.
We don't know the exact circumstances because Lou and Trotz aren't the kind of guys who would share that publicly. But they didn't seem on bad terms for a "firing", and if we are to believe Botta (big if) Lou and Trotz speak regularly. Combine that with Trotz not taking head coach jobs that he was offered and ultimately saying that his head wasn't into coaching this year. And now he's just taken what is probably his dream job: GM of Nashville. Have any of those events/circumstances chipped away at your initial reaction?

Reactions: JKP and Glory Days

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
We don't know the exact circumstances because Lou and Trotz aren't the kind of guys who would share that publicly. But they didn't seem on bad terms for a "firing", and if we are to believe Botta (big if) Lou and Trotz speak regularly. Combine that with Trotz not taking head coach jobs that he was offered and ultimately saying that his head wasn't into coaching this year. And now he's just taken what is probably his dream job: GM of Nashville. Have any of those events/circumstances chipped away at your initial reaction?

When has this poster ever changed his mind about anything?

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Love this for BUF

Thank god we don’t face Hasek tomorrow. Just hope the starter isn’t making his pro debut

Greenway has been a complete plug this year. Wild got more for him than they probably should have. Always a chance he reverts to his previous play, but a gamble for sure. Buffalo is a team that has the cap to take that risk.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
What is the harm of retooling for next year. Don't lose Mayfield, Vary for nothing. If they truly love the isles, we can re-sign them in the offseason. But get something for them now.

You're right that we all have differing opinions on how "good" this team is and I understand your point of view to try and get something for expiring assets. But you can't just give up at this point in the season just because Boston is too good. You never know what will happen to them or the Isles, all you know is that you're in a playoff position right now.

I argue against trading those guys because I think of Miracle when Herb Brooks brings in the new kid to take someone's spot and the leaders of the team because up because "they're a family." Now is this crazy Disney-dramatic? Sure, but the meaning is still there...this team is made up of humans with emotions, not just Assets. If Lou can gauge the room and know they can compete, let them.

If they truly love the Isles, they'll just re-sign in the offseason, right? No net gain nor loss.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
looks like I’ll be on the move, just before the deadline! Was just told an offer letter is en route after locking things up at the final interview this morning.

C’mon Lou, even private industry is beating you to the punch!

Reactions: Strummergas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad