Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
You also need to have patience. We were "rebuilding" for more than two decades with inept ownership and inept management. The new regime brought respectability, professionalism, stability, a new arena and the best management/coaching staff since the cup years. First 3 years were dynamite and if a few things fell our way, we'd have a cup. Last year was a let down, no doubt. But do you tear it down based on that or give the core another shot at it? Clearly Lou and the owners chose the latter and I do not fault them. Decisions will have to be made this offseason (no matter where the Isles finish). As fans, we can either enjoy the remaining games, root for our team and hope for playoff hockey or sulk in a woe-is-me attitude "cuz we're not winning the cup anyway."

You do you.

A-f***en-men.

Reactions: Glorydays22

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
well happy to see that these boards are as happy and positive as always..

my two cents.. Of course I want my teams to win championships but as a life long Isles/Jets/Mets fan I welcome and savor any opportunity to make the playoffs. I get a lot of enjoyment from the regular season and going to games, but playoffs is just another level. Whether the odds are stacked against you or not. Sitting right behind the Islander bench for game 6 of the ECF , and experiencing Beau's overtime winner is something I will never forget. I always want to make the playoffs, and am done with the wait until next year mentality.

Based on what we have already done, realistically we are not selling at this TDL, so I hope and root for the best , which realistically , would be to add one more piece and fight for the 7th spot,. Whether we add or not and no matter who we play, should we get in I will be pumped for the playoffs. How about some optimism here? ok that is not realistic on these boards, and yes that was at least 25 cents worth of soap box.

Redwings, Buffalo, Pitts, Washington next 4, all teams we are directly competing with, could be an exciting week.
Great post, try to spring that optimism at #13 who wants to win just as bad as you brother. Guy is not perfect, even Mcdavid is not even though he is labeled McJesus. We're all just about Hockey nerds here who bleed orange blue and white. Looking at your avatar certainly brings back some memories my friend.. LGI

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Anyone know how to watch Tradecentre live (the TSN version) in the US?

DM me if so.

Thanks.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Pred's RFA Dante Fabbro rumor to the Isles is still out there....
Why would we do this? I don't see the value. His best season is 24 points....He's not a great offensive dman. and he's a RFA making 2.4M...You think he's signing back up for 2.5M? No, he's going to want more. We have 16M tied up with Pullock, Pelech and Romanov, plus you are going to need to pay Dobson which he's going to get 7M my guess. We need to spend our money on a scoring forward!

Reactions: JRD76

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Large Odometer Scam Uncovered, Feds Issue Warning

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Just think we need a left handed D-man that does not get rag dolled, has some NHL experience and can head man the puck. Aho in my opinion will be lunch for eastern teams down the stretch here

typically, trade deadline day I get no work done. Zero. From hoping Lou was going to trade and sign for stone to milbury getting crybaby from Edmonton

Reactions: Lights911

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just think we need a left handed D-man that does not get rag dolled, has some NHL experience and can head man the puck. Aho in my opinion will be lunch for eastern teams down the stretch here
Kulikov would be perfect and wouldn’t cost much. Wish Lamber would just play Wotherspoon

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Last year was a let down, no doubt. But do you tear it down based on that or give the core another shot at it? Clearly Lou and the owners chose the latter and I do not fault them.
I don't fault them but I strongly disagree with the path they chose. The core had "another shot at it" in 2021-22 and fell short. This season should have been a retool/rebuild that began in March of 2022. Whether this was Malkin and Ledecky's call or if Lou sold the owners on this season we'll never know for sure but it was the wrong decision.

That being said, the organization has never been stronger, what with the new arena, competent owners who are totally invested in the success of this team, I'm confident that the future will not be like it was under previous regimes where we were wandering through the desert for 30 years.

Namstinkov.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Why would we do this? I don't see the value. His best season is 24 points....He's not a great offensive dman. and he's a RFA making 2.4M...You think he's signing back up for 2.5M? No, he's going to want more. We have 16M tied up with Pullock, Pelech and Romanov, plus you are going to need to pay Dobson which he's going to get 7M my guess. We need to spend our money on a scoring forward!

To play with Dobson, Aho needs to go. Dobson has played substantially worse with the Smurf as his partner....
This would be insurance if Mayfield walks at seasons end.

Reactions: MJF

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If you want to read into something listen to yesterday’s post-practice interviews with Lee and Horvat. When they talk about Engvall the first thing they mention is his personality and how he fits in the room. Lou will not add a player, like a Vrana, who was a problem child in the past at this point of the season.
Good point That's why I threw out the name of Mario Ferraro from SJ yesterday. He's a LHD who can move the puck a bit and is supposedly loved in the room and a potential future captain type. He seems like a younger Andy Greene type - maybe not as good though. Plus, Lou probably knew some Mario Ferraros growing up.

• Haha
Reactions: nyisles and mm11

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Great post, try to spring that optimism at #13 who wants to win just as bad as you brother. Guy is not perfect, even Mcdavid is not even though he is labeled McJesus. We're all just about Hockey nerds here who bleed orange blue and white. Looking at your avatar certainly brings back some memories my friend.. LGI

would love to have a timetable for JGP and Barzal, but that is expecting too much.. Still think we are in a good spot and when either or both come back that should be a big jolt to the locker room.

We say this about every game, but tomorrow's game is huge, the biggest game of the year, until the next one then the Sabres game will be the biggest game of the year lol.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I don't fault them but I strongly disagree with the path they chose. The core had "another shot at it" in 2021-22 and fell short. This season should have been a retool/rebuild that began in March of 2022. Whether this was Malkin and Ledecky's call or if Lou sold the owners on this season we'll never know for sure but it was the wrong decision.

That being said, the organization has never been stronger, what with the new arena, competent owners who are totally invested in the success of this team, I'm confident that the future will not be like it was under previous regimes where we were wandering through the desert for 30 years.
Very valid point of view. Personally I advocate for more patience. 21-22 was a very strange season and I'd rather err on the side of adding and remaining competitive vs knee-jerk dismantling whenever something goes wrong. You can find yourself in a perpetual rebuild.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
To play with Dobson, Aho needs to go. Dobson has played substantially worse with the Smurf as his partner....
This would be insurance if Mayfield walks at seasons end.
again we are tying up too much money on our defense. We can get a cheaper 3rd RD. Our d-core next year is
Pelech-Dobson
Romanov-Pullock
Bolduc- FA

Chokabloc

Nov 25, 2021
NJ
Well that's confusing. Your first post says " Pred's RFA Dante Fabbro rumor to the Isles is still out there...."

This post says all the teams mentioned were not the Islanders.

:huh:
two different posters......And throw the Sharks in the mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad