Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006
If we catch fire, maybe we can grab 7th. The more likely scenario I think is us fighting for 8th with the rest of the herd, where I like our chances. I'm wondering if Pitt has their eye on the Rags. They are 8 back on them with a game in hand, and 3 games against them soon. Pitt and NYR may end up battling for that D3 spot. The Rangers have not looked good lately, and may find out this powder puff team they have built around Panarin/Kane/Tarasenko/Zib may not cut it as the games get grittier as playoffs near.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Vrana at 50% is a no brainer. Unfortunately, I think part of the reason why Washington traded him originally was due to Vrana not getting along with the coaching staff(which included Lambert at the time). So I can understand us not being in on him.

We also don’t really have that much cap space. Finding someone to take on Bailey is going to be easier said than done. There’s a lot of teams that need to move cap more desperately than us.

Reactions: MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Tampa got swept the year they set the record for most points in a season. Shit happens. FWIW I think we might have a better shot at stealing a series from the bruins simply due to possibility of Sorokin making one or two games completely un-winnable for them

And that sweep vs the Blue Jackets was literally all Bobrovsky. My wife is from Tampa so I watch their games and CBJ was getting absolutely shelled out of the gate in game 1. I think it was like 3-0 10 minutes in, but it could've been 7-0. Bobrovsky stood on his head and when Tampa couldn't end it early, the goaltending stedied the ship and the Jackets climbed their way back. As a result Tampa was mentally rattled and CBJ seized all the momentum.

No question Sorokin is elite and might be able to do something like that, but to count on that is ridiculous. I'd rather be built like the Lightning, Avalanche, etc and increase the odds of winning. Sadly it is what it is and scoring for this team is going to continue to be a grind. That usually catches up with you in the playoffs as we saw losing 1-0 to the Lightning in that game 7.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Like it or not, my guess is that if Lou does anything today, big or small, it will be to double down on players/personalities who play the way he likes. This team is not going to out-skill BOS, TOR, NYR, etc.. If they do anything in the playoffs it will be by playing gritty, defensive hockey, and being hard to play against. So if he makes a bigger deal, it would be more for a Crouse or an Anderson type player. An absolute stud offensive LHD would have been great, but not a lot of those floating around at a reasonable price (and I don't see Ghost as a guy Lou would have gone for).

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I would love to know what the criticism you have of Lane. And please refrain from talking points- like “he’s in over his head.”

If anything Lane has shown some grit these last few weeks - with a weaker coach the team could have easily folded in on itself. With a weaker coach you could see the Isles play far-less disciplined hockey- even with their warts this year they are still a well-structured team. The Metro and the east in general is a beast and he’s got this team pulling in the right direction

It's a very fair question. Unlike players who you can watch at their craft (thus why we can say someone like Aho is no good), it's very hard to see head coaches at theirs. You aren't on the bench to hear what they say or in the locker room just the same. So anyone judging coaches is more of an exercise in conjecture than judging players (or even GMs as you can see their trades, picks, and signings).

As a result my feelings on Lane are opinion based on the limited information we have on him. And for me I don't get the sense he outwits/outthinks other coaches out there. With Trotz it always felt like, "He's got this" and you don't have to worry about the coaching part of the Isles. And the same way a team picks up confidence and plays better when they have confidence in their goaltender, I think Lane in lacking in that regard.

This is a very experienced roster with good chemistry and work ethic so any coach will have that as a base when they come in on day 1. From there it's a coach's job to get the team to play to their potential, and while no one is confusing them with the Bruins, does anyone here honestly believe this team has been playing the best it can all season? That alone should tell you that Lane might be ok, but he isn't good enough.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I think Lou's philosophy is flawed in todays cap world, he's short on a stud goal scorers and
can really only come by them in the draft or take a flyer similar to Montreal with Radulov that
worked out. We've basically got nothing as far as draft picks / young players so taking a flyer
on Vrana might have been an idea based on price paid.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
It's a very fair question. Unlike players who you can watch at their craft (thus why we can say someone like Aho is no good), it's very hard to see head coaches at theirs. You aren't on the bench to hear what they say or in the locker room just the same. So anyone judging coaches is more of an exercise in conjecture than judging players (or even GMs as you can see their trades, picks, and signings).

As a result my feelings on Lane are opinion based on the limited information we have on him. And for me I don't get the sense he outwits/outthinks other coaches out there. With Trotz it always felt like, "He's got this" and you don't have to worry about the coaching part of the Isles. And the same way a team picks up confidence and plays better when they have confidence in their goaltender, I think Lane in lacking in that regard.

This is a very experienced roster with good chemistry and work ethic so any coach will have that as a base when they come in on day 1. From there it's a coach's job to get the team to play to their potential, and while no one is confusing them with the Bruins, does anyone here honestly believe this team has been playing the best it can all season? That alone should tell you that Lane might be ok, but he isn't good enough.
Did they play the best they can all of last season, under Trotz?

And Stanley Cups >>>> Fighting for a playoff spot year after year
Gotta make the playoffs to win a cup.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Wait a minute though, we are currently in a playoff spot and treading good water with a few key injuries.

I understand the idea to sell the UFA's because the prospect pool is poor, but why is selling the only "smart" approach here?
Do you honestly see the Islanders progressing past the 1st round, let alone get into the playoffs? In my mind, the best approach would be to finishing in the bottom 12 so we get to use our pick in a super strong draft, trade away our UFAs now (heck,. the might even go along with it with the promise of a new deal in summer) for more picks/prospects and replenish the cupboard. Once the offseason and the draft rolls along, some of those picks could well be used to get rid of the likes of Bailey and gain some much needed cap space for a retool.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The ole cup or bust strategy. Why even watch?

It's not "Cup or bust." It's....Are you on a path to a Cup or not?

Only 1 team wins it each year so that means that this year of the Hurricanes, Bruins, Knights, rangers, Lightning, Avalanche, Devis, Leafs, and Stars, only 1 team is going to be happy.

Yet I would call all of those teams "Cup contenders." Being a true Cup contender means you have a legit shot to win it all and that's all you can ask for.

What this means is you need to have a certain level of talent combined with coaching to get in that "Cup contention" conversation. If you don't have it you need to find ways to get it. Typically it is done by drafting well and being patient.

As a result there is nothing wrong with tearing it all down and rebuilding. It's something that takes courage because this is a business and you may be alienating a large portion of your fanbase (who spend money) to do so. But it's a fool's errand to think that if you're an average team that you're eventually going to become a Cup contender just by waiting for an group of average talent to gain more experience.

Thus I think teams like the Canadiens and Blackhawks, who are stockpiling picks and prospects, are potentially closer to the Cup than teams like the Jets or Flames, who have older/aging vets and not enough talent nor great ways to improve their rosters. Unless you have a very young team with some blue chip talent learning their way, being average is about the worst thing you can be in the NHL.

I'd rather have to wait to be a contender in 3-4 years by going young, then fool ourselves that an average/aging team with average coaching is all of a sudden going to be able to compete with the best teams in the league.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Like it or not, my guess is that if Lou does anything today, big or small, it will be to double down on players/personalities who play the way he likes. This team is not going to out-skill BOS, TOR, NYR, etc.. If they do anything in the playoffs it will be by playing gritty, defensive hockey, and being hard to play against. So if he makes a bigger deal, it would be more for a Crouse or an Anderson type player. An absolute stud offensive LHD would have been great, but not a lot of those floating around at a reasonable price (and I don't see Ghost as a guy Lou would have gone for).
If you want to read into something listen to yesterday’s post-practice interviews with Lee and Horvat. When they talk about Engvall the first thing they mention is his personality and how he fits in the room. Lou will not add a player, like a Vrana, who was a problem child in the past at this point of the season.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
well happy to see that these boards are as happy and positive as always..

my two cents.. Of course I want my teams to win championships but as a life long Isles/Jets/Mets fan I welcome and savor any opportunity to make the playoffs. I get a lot of enjoyment from the regular season and going to games, but playoffs is just another level. Whether the odds are stacked against you or not. Sitting right behind the Islander bench for game 6 of the ECF , and experiencing Beau's overtime winner is something I will never forget. I always want to make the playoffs, and am done with the wait until next year mentality.

Based on what we have already done, realistically we are not selling at this TDL, so I hope and root for the best , which realistically , would be to add one more piece and fight for the 7th spot,. Whether we add or not and no matter who we play, should we get in I will be pumped for the playoffs. How about some optimism here? ok that is not realistic on these boards, and yes that was at least 25 cents worth of soap box.

Redwings, Buffalo, Pitts, Washington next 4, all teams we are directly competing with, could be an exciting week.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
For 6 other teams not named Islanders. CBJ, WIngs, Flames, Sens and a couple others. Isles......at the moment.........don't need an RHD. As for "who"....Elliot Friedman (32 thoughts) and Michael Derosa (THW) on Preds rumors.
Well that's confusing. Your first post says " Pred's RFA Dante Fabbro rumor to the Isles is still out there...."

This post says all the teams mentioned were not the Islanders.

:huh:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
It's not "Cup or bust." It's....Are you on a path to a Cup or not?

Only 1 team wins it each year so that means that this year of the Hurricanes, Bruins, Knights, rangers, Lightning, Avalanche, Devis, Leafs, and Stars, only 1 team is going to be happy.

Yet I would call all of those teams "Cup contenders." Being a true Cup contender means you have a legit shot to win it all and that's all you can ask for.

What this means is you need to have a certain level of talent combined with coaching to get in that "Cup contention" conversation. If you don't have it you need to find ways to get it. Typically it is done by drafting well and being patient.

As a result there is nothing wrong with tearing it all down and rebuilding. It's something that takes courage because this is a business and you may be alienating a large portion of your fanbase (who spend money) to do so. But it's a fool's errand to think that if you're an average team that you're eventually going to become a Cup contender just by waiting for an group of average talent to gain more experience.

Thus I think teams like the Canadiens and Blackhawks, who are stockpiling picks and prospects, are potentially closer to the Cup than teams like the Jets or Flames, who have older/aging vets and not enough talent nor great ways to improve their rosters. Unless you have a very young team with some blue chip talent learning their way, being average is about the worst thing you can be in the NHL.

I'd rather have to wait to be a contender in 3-4 years by going young, then fool ourselves that an average/aging team with average coaching is all of a sudden going to be able to compete with the best teams in the league.
You also need to have patience. We were "rebuilding" for more than two decades with inept ownership and inept management. The new regime brought respectability, professionalism, stability, a new arena and the best management/coaching staff since the cup years. First 3 years were dynamite and if a few things fell our way, we'd have a cup. Last year was a let down, no doubt. But do you tear it down based on that or give the core another shot at it? Clearly Lou and the owners chose the latter and I do not fault them. Decisions will have to be made this offseason (no matter where the Isles finish). As fans, we can either enjoy the remaining games, root for our team and hope for playoff hockey or sulk in a woe-is-me attitude "cuz we're not winning the cup anyway."

You do you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad