Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
How does management still refuse to make a move is my question. they know UBS isn't really full every night. This is getting worrisome and fast.

Not only do we need to catch the pens, but we'll also need to stave off the sabres and red wings for the privilege of facing Boston in the first round. There are 21 games until the deadline. In order to not be sellers, the islanders will probably need to take down 8 of these 11 games:

1/14 Montreal
1/16 Washington
1/19 Buffalo (second game of back to back)
1/25 Ottawa
1/27 Detroit
2/6 Philadelphia
2/9 Vancouver
2/11 Montreal
2/14 Ottawa
2/17 Pittsburgh
2/20 Pittsburgh

The other 10 are against Boston (2x), Winnipeg (2x) Carolina, Toronto, Vegas, Seattle, Minnesota and Los Angeles - all of those are playoff teams, and half are against division leaders. Still would need to win half of these to be able to come out of that 21 game stretch at something like 13-6-2. That's likely about the pace we'll need to play at to feel like we have a firm grasp on a chance at a wild card spot. Anything less and we're likely on the outside looking in.
There is a very good chance they can be in the Bedard race with another devastating injury or poor set of performances. I genuinely have concerns if they lose to the Habs tonight, who look horrible. and our media thinks the islanders should trade for Timo? these guys are so bad that they shouldn't even consider it. Sell off, get younger, and pray to God that Lou or Chris Lamoriello aren't in the organization by October.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Players that need to be phased out between now and the next two years in my opinion…

Lee: M-NTC kicks in ‘24-25, see below for explanation
Bailey: ASAP
Beauvillier: ASAP
Clutterbuck: Can’t stay healthy, LTIR this summer
Johnston: See below, no need for him with Martin as an extra next season. If he gets claimed, so be it
Palmieri: This summer, M-NTC kicks in
Martin: Needs to be an extra next season (final year of deal, then offer him a role in the organization)
Wahlstrom: In a deadline deal or at the draft

The most surprising ones here are Lee and Wahlstrom.

Lee is a great guy, but his already limited skillset has diminished. I doubt anyone will be touching that contract in two years without any serious sweetner so it’s a long shot however.

As far as Wahlstrom, I’m just not sold on him and I’d offload him while he still holds any value and is cheap.
I agree with your post almost entirely but will add a few comments.

Lee is in no man’s land. GMs know what you and I know about him. Serviceable guy right now but at a high AAV. He’s already had a big injury and his last few years could be anchors. I’m not sure there’s a market for him and his current value is negligible. I hate moving a Captain but if there’s a deal to be had I’d do it.

Johnston/Martin combo: Never made sense to be on the roster together and even less so on the ice together. Unless Martin retires or unexpectedly goes LTIR then trade Ross or send him to Bridgeport.

Cal: Never should’ve been signed though to my surprise he’s still a minor asset on the ice when healthy. Move him at this year’s TDL if he’s not injured.

Reactions: Osakahaus

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I agree with your post almost entirely but will add a few comments.

Lee is in no man’s land. GMs know what you and I know about him. Serviceable guy right now but at a high AAV. He’s already had a big injury and his last few years could be anchors. I’m not sure there’s a market for him and his current value is negligible. I hate moving a Captain but if there’s a deal to be had I’d do it.

Johnston/Martin combo: Never made sense to be on the roster together and even less so on the ice together. Unless Martin retires or unexpectedly goes LTIR then trade Ross or send him to Bridgeport.

Cal: Never should’ve been signed though to my surprise he’s still a minor asset on the ice when healthy. Move him at this year’s TDL if he’s not injured.
Who are we replacing Johnston with? I don't mind him being an extra for the money he's making. Saving $350K isn't worth losing him unless the upgrade is substantial.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Who are we replacing Johnston with? I don't mind him being an extra for the money he's making. Saving $350K isn't worth losing him unless the upgrade is substantial.
I get your point but what he brings although it excites the fan base, it doesn’t translate into W’s.

The whole thing is frankly a nothing burger (pun intended).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I get your point but what he brings although it excites the fan base, it doesn’t translate into W’s.

The whole thing is frankly a nothing burger (pun intended).
I really don't mind him as a player. He doesn't do much, other than when he's trying to start shit, that hurts the team when he's in the lineup. I just don't like him with Martin at all because it's two players who do the same exact thing and are so limited.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Unless Johnston wants out, you don’t move him. Reminder, he’s the 14th forward. That’s an undesirable position and as we’ve seen when there’s an injury usually someone from Bridgeport takes the spot anyway.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Dobson is growing backwards as of late.

Nil is 14 years younger than Lou and probably awake when the games start

Lou fired Barry because he couldn't fire the players.

The time comes when a building gets old, moldy gets cracks at the foundation and needs to be imploded from the top down then rebuilt properly from the bottom up

Lou's philosophy in 2023 is not gonna age any better then these washed up band of guys he's been loyal to

The 2 cup runs were great. Barry Trotz was a main reason why. I wouldn't trade them but going forward, this is a business and the business is winning!
Dobson is gonna be a repeat 50point defensemen running the PP at 23. He’s gonna have bumps in the road for sure, however, he’s most likely going to be the best offensive d-man for the Isles since the 80s.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
It’s scary because Sorokin is actually masking our problems. If he’s not lights out this year then we’re in the lottery right now.
Kudos to those who bandwagoned that Covid , the road trip, injuries, etc masked the problems last season. I wasn't sold on that theory. Time has swayed my thinking!

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Dobson is gonna be a repeat 50point defensemen running the PP at 23. He’s gonna have bumps in the road for sure, however, he’s most likely going to be the best offensive d-man for the Isles since the 80s.
I'd like to see a little more and better D. I think we see the effect of Chara not being with him a bit. I'd love to see the big Z brought in as assistant coach either to augment or replace Houda

Reactions: WangMustGo

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Players that need to be phased out between now and the next two years in my opinion…

Lee: M-NTC kicks in ‘24-25, see below for explanation
Bailey: ASAP
Beauvillier: ASAP
Clutterbuck: Can’t stay healthy, LTIR this summer
Johnston: See below, no need for him with Martin as an extra next season. If he gets claimed, so be it
Palmieri: This summer, M-NTC kicks in
Martin: Needs to be an extra next season (final year of deal, then offer him a role in the organization)
Wahlstrom: In a deadline deal or at the draft

The most surprising ones here are Lee and Wahlstrom.

Lee is a great guy, but his already limited skillset has diminished. I doubt anyone will be touching that contract in two years without any serious sweetner so it’s a long shot however.

As far as Wahlstrom, I’m just not sold on him and I’d offload him while he still holds any value and is cheap.
Lee was always gonna be overpaid, it is what it is. However, his effectiveness has diminished because the team refuses to shoot or push the puck to the front of the net.

He was effective with Tavares bc that’s the game they played. This team is a bunch of pass happy players that, well, don’t shoot. That’s on the players on the ice and also the gameplay deployed.

I don’t have the numbers but I feel like we actually started the season well in scoring goals but everyone kind of went cold. Either way we’re seriously lacking a consistent goal scorer.

Also, having an abysmal PP really hurts as well.
Most teams score a lot in the early season until teams settle in after 15-20 games. From there, it’s about consistent production.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Barzal is part of the problem. Needs to stop dipsy doodling at the blueline. Other teams are ready for him to curl or make a stupid move at the blueline and just poke it off his stick. Kid needs to simplify his game, start getting it deep, or drive the net. I’m getting tired of watching him do nothing but cough the puck up, night after night.
Barzal for sure is one of the most gifted yet predictable players in the league and has become easy to defend. He needs to play a more north/ south game with a sprinkle of pulling up to keep defenders guessing

Last edited:
Reactions: eoin92

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Bar al for sure is one of the most gifted yet predictable players in the league and has become easy to defend. He needs to play a more north/ south game with a sprinkle of pulling up to keep defenders guessing
Fair points.

I think no matter what he does A) wouldn't be enough to satisfy some and B) may not matter in the end result because this team plays too much not to lose vs playing to win..
.. it's like the prevent defense in FB where many players say all it prevents you from doing is getting the victory

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I'd like to see a little more and better D. I think we see the effect of Chara not being with him a bit. I'd love to see the big Z brought in as assistant coach either to augment or replace Houda

I agree, id even take it a step further and staple him next to Pelech in a shutdown role. Let Pelech teach him everything he can in the defensive zone.

Reactions: Mike C

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Fair points.

I think no matter what he does A) wouldn't be enough to satisfy some and B) may not matter in the end result because this team plays too much not to lose vs playing to win..
.. it's like the prevent defense in FB where many players say all it prevents you from doing is getting the victory
Give me Suzuki for Barzal. Plays a much better overall game with a soon to be $2.5M cap space cheaper.

What some see is a predictable player that’s costing the team because the player wants to play jr hockey where he thinks he’s the best player on the ice every night. Sometimes in the big game, gotta amend it for his own success, but also the teams. He hasn’t figured that out yet.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Fair points.

Recent weeks when tied, it Certainly feels like all they want is the one point

Reactions: Mike C

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Even Greene might be an improvement on the bench. I'm not overly impressed by either assistant coach

I agree, the team defense has been a trainwreck, and its amplified by the loss of Pelech.

I think part of it is the lack of talent and part of it is the system. In an ideal world Romanov is a bottom pairint LD, without Pelech he is the #1 LD, and having Aho in the top 4 is horrible as well. Dobson hasnt looked good lately either (Im sure he will bounce back). Pulock has been ok, nothing special IMO. Mayfield has been good for the most part.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Recent weeks when tied, it Certainly feels like all they want is the one point
Even when up 1 in 3rd I get that sense

Excellent game day banter today by all!

Lunch, espresso and canoli at Indian Trail's Italian Cafe then mid afternoon nap awaits.

Life is goooood for uncle Mikey!

LGI!!!

I agree, the team defense has been a trainwreck, and its amplified by the loss of Pelech.

I think part of it is the lack of talent and part of it is the system. In an ideal world Romanov is a bottom pairint LD, without Pelech he is the #1 LD, and having Aho in the top 4 is horrible as well. Dobson hasnt looked good lately either (Im sure he will bounce back). Pulock has been ok, nothing special IMO. Mayfield has been good for the most part.
I'm hoping someone tells Romanov that he's still allowed to throw more than one check per game. He's becoming a little too dainty lately

Reactions: mm11 and WangMustGo

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It takes two to tango. Perhaps there are no moves to make.

Correct, no one is making a deal right now...
Teams are figuring out where they stand as well as teams (not utilizing LTIR) waiting to be able to accrue as much cap space as possible, which is closer to the deadline.

When Lou did not add a F in the offseason, he was rolling the dice with THIS team, committing to this group of players. He should stay the course and at the TDL this team is on the outside looking in, then he should begin reshaping this team... and that means Mayfield is moved, Varlamov is moved, and Parise is moved. Bailey should also be moved, but that will be more difficult since he has another year on his contract.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The depth is shallow at LHD, so Pelech being out really hurts.

Otherwise, the roster really, really needs a LH shot RW who can be dangerous on the rush and especially set up on the right boards on the PP. IMO, anyway.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Unless Johnston wants out, you don’t move him. Reminder, he’s the 14th forward. That’s an undesirable position and as we’ve seen when there’s an injury usually someone from Bridgeport takes the spot anyway.
I think i'd rather any other 14th forward than the guy who should be literally farming instead of playing hockey

The depth is shallow at LHD, so Pelech being out really hurts.

Otherwise, the roster really, really needs a LH shot RW who can be dangerous on the rush and especially set up on the right boards on the PP. IMO, anyway.
this has been said for like four years. they refused to ever get more LHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad