Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Honestly the fact that Lou has a leash this long is absurd. This team is dying for a breath of fresh air in the form of a goal scoring winger. Some guys also need to go i.e Bailey, Beau. At this point package them together and trade to a team with cap space with a draft pick and call it a day. Which ever team takes them just has to pay them for one year and gets a pick for doing so. Then they can attempt to move them at the deadline next year for anything they can get. We need that money off the books and we need a shake up bad. This team needs to wake up. Need to show them no one is safe and start preparing for moves that will actually gets us back to being a good team again.

Players with bad contracts get moved all the time. They both have a measly 1 year left. This should not be that hard… it literally happens all the time. Just never for us. Either get this team this team the winger they need, start the retool or blow the damn thing up. The teams looks bad now but we all know it can be saved. A 4 game win streak and all is fine but it isn’t happening with all the injuries and no winger. Season is slipping and it is now or never. This is get embarrassing for the 2nd straight year watching this team struggle and not a damn thing being done. It’s like Lou and ownership just accept it and for such a passionate fan base it is insanely frustrating. Team feels like it has no direction anymore. We need to know where this team stands and soon. I’m sure some players I.e Sorokin want to know the same thing before it’s time to commit

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Thus exposing the severe lack of depth that plagues this team because of action not taken
The time to take action was last trade deadline (trying to move anything of value that you could or a guy like Beauvillier) to set up for a more fruitful offseason (which again was a snoozefest).

At this point, I'd rather Lamoriello do nothing and wait until closer to the deadline.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
The time to take action was last trade deadline (trying to move anything of value that you could or a guy like Beauvillier) to set up for a more fruitful offseason (which again was a snoozefest).

At this point, I'd rather Lamoriello do nothing and wait until closer to the deadline.
I wouldn't trade anything more than Beau this deadline and only if it brings something we can carry into next year. If he wants to deal Varly and get a pick all well and good. The one move I really covet is a re-sign of Mayfield

I'm not sold that this aging slow core would even make the playoffs with additions this TDL. As has been posted by several others, I feel we are more than just that 1 magical puzzle piece away

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
They should have claimed Tolvanen. Would have been a smart move especially with Wahlstrom out. Those are the small bets you make that can make big differences.
something's gotta give. if this was last season, everyone would be clamoring that Barry has lost the room, the team is uninspired, going through the motions, isn't responding anymore, etc

barry's gone, whether rightfully so or not but not much else has changed.

Reactions: Top Corner

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Barzal is part of the problem. Needs to stop dipsy doodling at the blueline. Other teams are ready for him to curl or make a stupid move at the blueline and just poke it off his stick. Kid needs to simplify his game, start getting it deep, or drive the net. I’m getting tired of watching him do nothing but cough the puck up, night after night.

Reactions: Top Corner

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Barzal is part of the problem. Needs to stop dipsy doodling at the blueline. Other teams are ready for him to curl or make a stupid move at the blueline and just poke it off his stick. Kid needs to simplify his game, start getting it deep, or drive the net. I’m getting tired of watching him do nothing but cough the puck up, night after night.

on pace for 20 goals and 80 points, team is +25 with him on the ice. he is far and away our best skater. can we PLEASE find something else to complain about?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
What GM invested in those guys? Will Lou ever be a part of the problem in your opinion?
Sure, re-upping Barzal at that contract ties up the cap based on his performance just as much as the inherited Bailey contract.

Did DAL fire Jim Nil after their star players underperformed and were called out for not earning their salary? Nope, the owner stuck with the GM, his team did very well in one year of the draft - those players are excelling and pulling the team along. The changed the coach bc of an extenuating circumstance and again when thy elected not to sign his replacement.

Dobson has grown tremendously just like Lou predicted he would. But, what in the world has Wally done w/all his opportunities under two different coaches? Beau has underperformed for his salary, Barzal, well,
unless he learns to play a different way then you have Kovalev Part Deux on your hands, etc.

The Palms signing was to replace Eberle at a lower value for similar production when the cap was flat. How else were the Isles getting 25G? Looks
Like relying on the ‘guy the reason the Isles didn’t win the cup’ hasn’t done jack crap. Palms covered for Barzal’s craptastic play vs. PIT to get out of the first round. Now, the Isles are in the business of letting playoff performers walk? Good idea.

Lou resigned the 4th line, that may not have been wise, but it looks like he did that to be heavy in the playoffs and expected the rest of the forwards and defensemen to pull their weight.

Fans are back to Snow-style of building, staring at the waiver wire going ‘that guy will help’ each time. Remarkable.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Honestly the fact that Lou has a leash this long is absurd. This team is dying for a breath of fresh air in the form of a goal scoring winger. Some guys also need to go i.e Bailey, Beau. At this point package them together and trade to a team with cap space with a draft pick and call it a day. Which ever team takes them just has to pay them for one year and gets a pick for doing so. Then they can attempt to move them at the deadline next year for anything they can get. We need that money off the books and we need a shake up bad. This team needs to wake up. Need to show them no one is safe and start preparing for moves that will actually gets us back to being a good team again.

Players with bad contracts get moved all the time. They both have a measly 1 year left. This should not be that hard… it literally happens all the time. Just never for us. Either get this team this team the winger they need, start the retool or blow the damn thing up. The teams looks bad now but we all know it can be saved. A 4 game win streak and all is fine but it isn’t happening with all the injuries and no winger. Season is slipping and it is now or never. This is get embarrassing for the 2nd straight year watching this team struggle and not a damn thing being done. It’s like Lou and ownership just accept it and for such a passionate fan base it is insanely frustrating. Team feels like it has no direction anymore. We need to know where this team stands and soon. I’m sure some players I.e Sorokin want to know the same thing before it’s time to commit
Can you provide examples of moving out bad contracts ‘all the time?’

Ps, the winger will help, but some of the players kinda need to help themselves.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Sure, re-upping Barzal at that contract ties up the cap based on his performance just as much as the inherited Bailey contract.

Did DAL fire Jim Nil after their star players underperformed and were called out for not earning their salary? Nope, the owner stuck with the GM, his team did very well in one year of the draft - those players are excelling and pulling the team along. The changed the coach bc of an extenuating circumstance and again when thy elected not to sign his replacement.

Dobson has grown tremendously just like Lou predicted he would. But, what in the world has Wally done w/all his opportunities under two different coaches? Beau has underperformed for his salary, Barzal, well,
unless he learns to play a different way then you have Kovalev Part Deux on your hands, etc.

The Palms signing was to replace Eberle at a lower value for similar production when the cap was flat. How else were the Isles getting 25G? Looks
Like relying on the ‘guy the reason the Isles didn’t win the cup’ hasn’t done jack crap. Palms covered for Barzal’s craptastic play vs. PIT to get out of the first round. Now, the Isles are in the business of letting playoff performers walk? Good idea.

Lou resigned the 4th line, that may not have been wise, but it looks like he did that to be heavy in the playoffs and expected the rest of the forwards and defensemen to pull their weight.

Fans are back to Snow-style of building, staring at the waiver wire going ‘that guy will help’ each time. Remarkable.
Dobson is growing backwards as of late.

Nil is 14 years younger than Lou and probably awake when the games start

Lou fired Barry because he couldn't fire the players.

The time comes when a building gets old, moldy gets cracks at the foundation and needs to be imploded from the top down then rebuilt properly from the bottom up

Lou's philosophy in 2023 is not gonna age any better then these washed up band of guys he's been loyal to

The 2 cup runs were great. Barry Trotz was a main reason why. I wouldn't trade them but going forward, this is a business and the business is winning!

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
on pace for 20 goals and 80 points, team is +25 with him on the ice. he is far and away our best skater. can we PLEASE find something else to complain about?
Last couple of games, specifically watching him, has been frustrating me. Bailey as well, whom I usually like.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
You stole this from last season right!😀😀👍

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Last couple of games, specifically watching him, has been frustrating me. Bailey as well, whom I usually like.
It's a different excuse (in general, not from any of us) every night with the same results. It's not this guy or that guy or this play or that play. The sum of the parts is not equitable to what the answer has to add up to.

It's time to "auld Lang syne" it and put it to rest. This core went into the hospital when Gourde scored the only shortie given up all season, it went into a coma last season and is on life support today

I say pull the plug already

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Everyone!!

Please step AWAY from the edge of the platform, the train is delayed. Jets 3 Pens 1 after 2.

I repeat. Please step AWAY from the edge!

Not only do we need to catch the pens, but we'll also need to stave off the sabres and red wings for the privilege of facing Boston in the first round. There are 21 games until the deadline. In order to not be sellers, the islanders will probably need to take down 8 of these 11 games:

1/14 Montreal
1/16 Washington
1/19 Buffalo (second game of back to back)
1/25 Ottawa
1/27 Detroit
2/6 Philadelphia
2/9 Vancouver
2/11 Montreal
2/14 Ottawa
2/17 Pittsburgh
2/20 Pittsburgh

The other 10 are against Boston (2x), Winnipeg (2x) Carolina, Toronto, Vegas, Seattle, Minnesota and Los Angeles - all of those are playoff teams, and half are against division leaders. Still would need to win half of these to be able to come out of that 21 game stretch at something like 13-6-2. That's likely about the pace we'll need to play at to feel like we have a firm grasp on a chance at a wild card spot. Anything less and we're likely on the outside looking in.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Players that need to be phased out between now and the next two years in my opinion…

Lee: M-NTC kicks in ‘24-25, see below for explanation
Bailey: ASAP
Beauvillier: ASAP
Clutterbuck: Can’t stay healthy, LTIR this summer
Johnston: See below, no need for him with Martin as an extra next season. If he gets claimed, so be it
Palmieri: This summer, M-NTC kicks in
Martin: Needs to be an extra next season (final year of deal, then offer him a role in the organization)
Wahlstrom: In a deadline deal or at the draft

The most surprising ones here are Lee and Wahlstrom.

Lee is a great guy, but his already limited skillset has diminished. I doubt anyone will be touching that contract in two years without any serious sweetner so it’s a long shot however.

As far as Wahlstrom, I’m just not sold on him and I’d offload him while he still holds any value and is cheap.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

So you are talking about them being sellers I take it. If they do nothing now, they'll definitely be sellers...and I'm okay with that as long as they actually sell.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Not only do we need to catch the pens, but we'll also need to stave off the sabres and red wings for the privilege of facing Boston in the first round. There are 21 games until the deadline. In order to not be sellers, the islanders will probably need to take down 8 of these 11 games:

1/14 Montreal
1/16 Washington
1/19 Buffalo (second game of back to back)
1/25 Ottawa
1/27 Detroit
2/6 Philadelphia
2/9 Vancouver
2/11 Montreal
2/14 Ottawa
2/17 Pittsburgh
2/20 Pittsburgh

The other 10 are against Boston (2x), Winnipeg (2x) Carolina, Toronto, Vegas, Seattle, Minnesota and Los Angeles - all of those are playoff teams, and half are against division leaders. Still would need to win half of these to be able to come out of that 21 game stretch at something like 13-6-2. That's likely about the pace we'll need to play at to feel like we have a firm grasp on a chance at a wild card spot. Anything less and we're likely on the outside looking in.
Team is way too inconsistent and unpredictable. I'm in the camp with the philosophy of win the ones you're supposed to and split the rest and all will be well. This team hasn't done that. Maybe they'll get on a roll but not optimistic

Reactions: Osakahaus

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Can you provide examples of moving out bad contracts ‘all the time?’

Ps, the winger will help, but some of the players kinda need to help themselves.
Huh ? Provide examples… It literally happens multiple times every year and every trade deadline. Off the top of my head really quick Shattenkirk got dumped 2-3 times lol our own guy Ladd… Lucic. Lol They happen every year, just look at trades lists. They are as common as any other trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad