Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Meier, Larkin, Horvat, Kane, and Tarasenko are the guys I'd be looking for up front. Not sure Larkin is available (yet) and I think Kane just got hurt recently. I think two of them are necessary to push this team to a contender, and that's before addressing the defense.

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
Meier, Larkin, Horvat, Kane, and Tarasenko are the guys I'd be looking for up front. Not sure Larkin is available (yet) and I think Kane just got hurt recently. I think two of them are necessary to push this team to a contender, and that's before addressing the defense.
I believe Tarasenko is also injured with a broken hand

Reactions: PK Cronin

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
That is because you are correct… he is. Just needs to happen. Put him next to Barzal and this team is a lot different and can suddenly win games with the power play. But I’m ready for Lous press release in April… “we are always looking to get better and we did and there was nothing available” Hopefully I’m wrong.

SJS pro scout Tim Burke was at the DAL/NYI game Tuesday night.
I hope it comes together, he is a terrific shooter and fits like a glove for what we need. Can’t imagine he’d be a killer long term hit either (8million a year?)

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
I hope it comes together, he is a terrific shooter and fits like a glove for what we need. Can’t imagine he’d be a killer long term hit either (8million a year?)
I've been looking at CapFriendly for a bit on this one, dreaming of course.
I'm thinking he's in the Fiala (7x7.85) to Kyrou (8x8.125) range window.

Anything under the outdated Draisatl deal (8x8.5) I think would be great.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I've been looking at CapFriendly for a bit on this one, dreaming of course.
I'm thinking he's in the Fiala (7x7.85) to Kyrou (8x8.125) range window.

Anything under the outdated Draisatl deal (8x8.5) I think would be great.

I would be willing to bet he would get a very similar contract to Barzal. Meier is better than Fiala or Kyrou.

Have to add in the fact that is QO is 10 million and would bring him directly to UFA.

Reactions: TheWhiteWhale30

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I would be willing to bet he would get a very similar contract to Barzal. Meier is better than Fiala or Kyrou.

Have to add in the fact that is QO is 10 million and would bring him directly to UFA.
The QO is meaningless if the player signs a long term deal.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
The QO is meaningless if the player signs a long term deal.

Correct, but if said player wanrs to gamble he could refuse to sign a new extension and play under the qualifying offer leading him directly to UFA. In this case I just think it likely means Meier would sign to a higher AAV than if he didnt have a huge QO.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Meier wants to gamble on himself and prove he’s a 10+M per playee, I hope it’s with the Islanders. :sarcasm:

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
He's not a 10M per year players....He's good but not that
It is his qualifying offer minimum. Don’t have a choice as he has all the leverage. Also yes he is.. Barzal has yet to be a point per game player since his rookie season and just signed for 9.5M per. Meier is a p/pg player and he is on pace for 46 goals on a bottom feeding team no less. Not to mention how automatic he is on the powerplay. His minimum even if not for the qualifying offer would be 10M anyway. He is absolutely worth every last penny.

Last edited:
Reactions: WangMustGo

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
It is his qualifying offer minimum. Don’t have a choice as he has all the leverage. Also yes he is.. Barzal has yet to be a point per game player since his rookie season and just signed for 9.5M per. Meier is a p/pg player and he is on pace for 46 goals on a bottom feeding team no less. Not to mention how automatic he is on the powerplay. His minimum even if not for the qualifying offer would be 10M anyway. He is absolutely worth every last penny.

He's good, On a "Contract" year he's 43 pt in 43 games so far. I always worry about guys who have big years on a contract year.

Last year 77 games 76 pts
20-21- 54 games - 31 pts
19-20 - 70 games - 54 pts
18-19 - 78 games - 66 pts

Career - 437 games - 307 pts
Brazal - 403 games - 352 pts

Don't think he's a 10M. I think he's worth 9M like Brazal, maybe 8.5M

Last edited:

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
He's good, On a "Contract" year he's 43 pt in 43 games so far. I always worry about guys who have big years on a contract year.

Last year 77 games 76 pts
20-21- 54 games - 31 pts
19-20 - 70 games - 54 pts
18-19 - 78 games - 66 pts

Career - 437 games - 307 pts
Brazal - 403 games - 352 pts

Don't think he's a 10M. I think he's worth 9M like Brazal, maybe 8.5M
He also just turned 26. Those first few years are development year. Since hitting his prime around 24 he has been a p/pg and again was on a bad team. On the isles he puts up over a p/pg next to Barzal. He is worth the 10M

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
For some reason I watch a lot of SJ games (I think I like the teal). Meier is exactly what this team needs. He scores in many ways and has a laser of a shot. He can pick corners on an elite level. Just a pure goal scorer who is entering his prime.

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
But it is so much easier to simply ignore the cost, toss in a few stats and make up your own narrative, without offering up concrete solutions. Social media thrives on that formula.
I mean sure. That's one way to look at it. Fans clamoring for accountability deserve it. We pay hard earned cash to watch teams play for entertainment.

Neither Fiala or Debrincat were had at high cost (in terms of value given up). There were several young forwards with skill available. Lou's MO has been simple: acquire players you know despite age, skill, and obvious need. He has spent assets, cap space, and roster spots on guys like Palmieri, JGP, Parise, Chara, Zajac, Greene, etc. It's Lou so there's no way of knowing what else is out there, but this is such a limited way to do business.

Bottom line is, the guys I mentioned (Debrincat, Fiala) are not Lou type players. We didn't have the cap space to sign them anyway either due to Lou's inability to move contracts or worse, not have the desire to do so.

Isles fans have become used to giving Lou a pass. We are great at playing the result and ignoring there have been issues that needed correcting. We have a GM that definitely has a type. However, what annoys me the most is that making two straight "almost" cup runs will be the sword that every Lou loyalist falls on. Almost winning the cup isn't good enough. It was clear that the Isles were several ingredients short of being true cup contenders. Lou, instead refused to make improvements and doubled down on players he has familiarity with. The only one that actually worked out has been Parise. He has displayed no creativity or understanding of what this team needs to compete. Huge disappointment.

I've said it before. Lou has done an incredible job setting the culture. He has done a horrible job acquiring necessary talent, and has brought in some pretty bad value contracts. But then again this board is filled with people that think JGP is good value.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
I no longer think we are One or Two players away from being a contender... Meier would be a major upgrade offensively but he is a career Minus player to be fair. A New G.M. and a fresh start while retaining our core needs to be done. We should be sellers at the deadline because this is a deep draft coming....

Reactions: Glorydays22

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I know we complain a lot, but I think that because of the cap not increasing, it has put a bunch of teams like us in a weird situation. I am sure we are having a tough time getting rid of players let alone acquiring them.

All this team needs is a tweak. We don't need to sell the house. From what I have noticed...remember in the past, we never really had a third line? Well, this time, I don't think we have a real second line. The only one driving it is Nelson...I'd want to completely overhaul the second line and tweak the first line. We could be serious contenders in two years is we played our cards right.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad