Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Nah, I guarantee you he will bring in another D, even if it is just a PTO.

Another forward to battle Bellows seems likely as well.......

Here come all the "after Kadri signs somewhere else" educated "we are standing pat" tweets....
I wanted an impact forward. But to be fair, going from Greene/Chara to Romanov/Salo is a night and day improvement.

A big part of why the offense sucked was that the Greene and Chara pairings were trapped in their zone all games long.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

Here come all the "after Kadri signs somewhere else" educated "we are standing pat" tweets....
There is really no risk to it from isles perspective. If someone gets hurt in camp it gives you another option as well.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
So same team,

Only thing we improved which could make a big difference is our defense and I feel like our breakouts and transitions will be improved. You have to hope either Aho, Salo, or Hutton impress and improve and show they are ready to be our #6.

We are hoping for our goalies to continue their good play.

We are hoping for our forwards to play like they did at the end of last year. For Palmeri to not be as snake bitten as he was last year, hoping for a better year out of of Pageau. We are hoping either Wahlstrom or Bellows improve and have better years or help this team improve in some way.

New coaching could be a good thing as new coaches always get their players to play better after change but that is usually during the season. Lambert seemed to be right behind the coach that led us deep in the playoffs so we will see what changes are brought maybe offense and less pressure on our younger players that will obviously make mistakes.
Also our powerplay is always huge with this team as if we continue to play in a defensive structure like we did with Trotz need to capitalize on their mistakes and on the powerplay.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Based on verbiage of the press conference and the fact that he announced his RFA signings, it sounds like Lou is done folks.

And no, he won't be burying Martin...Johnston and Bellows or Parise are the 13th and 14th forwards.

Aho, Hutton, and Salo will be battling it out for the 6th and 7th spots (since they didn't announced a Wotherspoon extension today I assume he is leaving the organization).

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
So same team,

Only thing we improved which could make a big difference is our defense and I feel like our breakouts and transitions will be improved. You have to hope either Aho, Salo, or Hutton impress and improve and show they are ready to be our #6.

We are hoping for our goalies to continue their good play.

We are hoping for our forwards to play like they did at the end of last year. For Palmeri to not be as snake bitten as he was last year, hoping for a better year out of of Pageau. We are hoping either Wahlstrom or Bellows improve and have better years or help this team improve in some way.

New coaching could be a good thing as new coaches always get their players to play better after change but that is usually during the season. Lambert seemed to be right behind the coach that led us deep in the playoffs so we will see what changes are brought maybe offense and less pressure on our younger players that will obviously make mistakes.
Also our powerplay is always huge with this team as if we continue to play in a defensive structure like we did with Trotz need to capitalize on their mistakes and on the powerplay.
It is what it is.

Little cap space, little trade assets made it tough to get an impact forward.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Just gotta get in.

The Islanders have a better starter than probably 29/31 teams. That's a big advantage in a playoff series.

Sorokin stole like two games in that playoff series versus Pittsburgh.
i'm 100 percent in agreement. that was the beauty of trotz. the game, especially in the east, ticks down a notch and that's where we had the advantage. unfortunately last year was a cluster f**k from day one and we got derailed before we even left the station

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
It won't be quite this high. Take 800K away for the 7th D (Salo/Aho/Hutton rotate for that roster D). I aggree that NYI will probably try to go with 13 forwards, but only about 60% of the time. So add maybe 550K to that. So, really about 3-3.2M space before considering LTIR accrued over the year.
obviously I meant without the "spaces".

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I wish Lou did more this offseason, but I dont hate where we are sitting.

If Salo can take a step up and be serviceable the defense should he excellent, and much improved. IMO the biggest problem last season was the lack of speed and transition game from the blueline. That is much improved now, adding in further development of Dobson, a healthy Pelech/Pulock i think the defense is top notch.

Sorokin should continue to be a top 5 goalie, and Varlamov can steal games occasionally.

The question is whether we can score enough to win. Im hoping Lambert gives the forwards a bit more freedom in the offensive zone.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I'd be surprised if Mayfield wasn't locked up soon. The management really seems to like him and he plays the type of game someone like Lou really likes.

Reactions: beach

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Re: Mayfield
Count me in among those who feel he's gonna be wrapped up long-term. Definitely think Lou sees him as part of a regular contender for many more years.

Might even come before the end of the season, kind of like with Clutterbuck last season.

I would rather see where we are sitting at the deadline. If they are on the outside of the playoffs you need to move him.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Lou's line at the 40 second mark from Isles twitter video of the conference he says, " We looked at many options and unfortunately the options that we looked at for hockey trades, we would not have gotten a return for what we had to give up to make us a better team."

My guess is that Lou, like Treliving, Mcrimmon and Kekelainen had to either give a player away for free, at a heavy discount or with an asset and we're not really in a position to do so.

Also Bailey for example is a 50 point winger. Kadri is obviously better. But is it worth trading a first, with Bailey to open up space to sign Kadri for a 15 point improvement? I don't think so and that might have been Lou's thought as well.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Also Bailey for example is a 50 point winger. Kadri is obviously better. But is it worth trading a first, with Bailey to open up space to sign Kadri for a 15 point improvement? I don't think so and that might have been Lou's thought as well.
Considering it took a first to move Monahan, and would have cost a first to move JVR, and both had only 1 year left on their deals, it seems likely that it would have cost more than a 1st to move Bailey with 2 years. Still I don't look at it as '15 points' difference.

Reactions: MJF

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Considering it took a first to move Monahan, and would have cost a first to move JVR, and both had only 1 year left on their deals, it seems likely that it would have cost more than a 1st to move Bailey with 2 years. Still I don't look at it as '15 points' difference.
Kadri is definitely superior to Bails, but I personally would rather not trade the 23 first to get rid of him to sign Kadri. Gaudreau I would FWIW.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Kadri is definitely superior to Bails, but I personally would rather not trade the 23 first to get rid of him to sign Kadri. Gaudreau I would FWIW.
If we signed Kadri we would be in the same predicament in 4-5 years. Hes a good player, but hes also 32 years old.

Gaudreau is the type of talent this team sorely needs, unfortunately Lou couldnt make it work.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If we signed Kadri we would be in the same predicament in 4-5 years. Hes a good player, but hes also 32 years old.

Gaudreau is the type of talent this team sorely needs, unfortunately Lou couldnt make it work.
And we found out we weren't an option for him which sucks.

Fully acknowledging we said this last season about the LD need, I guess we'll try and address more offense at the deadline.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Although we didn't get the big splash we wanted, this team should be better than last year's. Take away that dumb roadtrip and weird covid stuff and we probably add 7 or 8 points to last year. Addition by subtraction in the form of Chara and Greene turning into Romanov and Salo will be huge. We don't really have any impact players I expect to fall off a cliff, unless you count Nelson going back to being more of a 30 goal guy than a 40 goal guy.

Can we get a step forward from our younger offensive minded players like Barzal, Beau, Wahlstrom, Dobson and Bellows with Lambert at the helm? Will Lee, Pulock, and Varlamov look more like themselves further removed from their injuries? Will Palmieri hit the positive side of variance and some of those posts and disallowed goals turn into ones that count? Does Sorokin take another step forward and solidify himself as a top 3 goalie in the NHL?

All we have to do is get in and then (hopefully) we'll still be hell to play against. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic for the time being

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
But here's the thing....Because there's no more secretive GM in sports than Lou it leaves fans having no choice but to speculate on what the hell he's up to. I mean the guy couldn't even announce a minimum wage Parise signing until trainign camp last year. And you just know that everyone in hockey circles knew it so WTF advantage would that ever give? It wouldn't, and at some point you need to respect your season ticket holders and overall fanbase by being more upfront with what's going on.

Well, the RFAs signings were announced today.

Lou also had a conference call and verified what we've suspected since the Kadri signing was announced, namely that he's more than fine with the group he has and that no move could be made in which he didn't feel this team/organization would come out as the loser of the transaction. Naturally, he didn't mention if he actually was in on Kadri or who exactly he may have entertained moving. As if he actually would.

That mum was the word until now, shortly after Kadri's signing, basically verifies that he was involved there and looking to make things happen. In my mind's eye.

I think, in that case, it's very prudent not to let the GMs know what part of your 11 million in space is going to Dobson, Romanov, and Bellows, even if they surely assumed it'd be roughly 9 million. Ultimately, it could have played a role on the trade front. If a GM knows exactly what your payment structure looks like, they know exactly how much of a pinch you're in.

Did it mean anything?

At the end of the day, no.

As to whether Lou should conduct his business with this shroud of secretiveness - hmmm, I'd hate to think a GM would feel he has a certain advantage by approaching business in a certain manner that he deems advantageous, but wouldn't do it just because fans are hungry for news and will bitch and moan if they don't get it.

On the other hand, if people aren't renewing season ticket plans because they're not seeing any transactions they'd deem to be progress after a non-playoff season, then that's something the team and Lou will have to live with.

And the owners would have to decide if it's something they're willing to accept.

He's on the hotspot. He changed the coach. He made one player addition at the cost of futures. Two old guys are out. That's really all.

Now these guys gotta perform for him in the manner he entrusts them to or else he's gotta pay the price. Ultimately, the owners will have to make that decision.

Sure hope it works out. I don't want to live through a repeat of last season.

Reactions: periferal

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
And we found out we weren't an option for him which sucks.

Fully acknowledging we said this last season about the LD need, I guess we'll try and address more offense at the deadline.

Not expecting much until the deadline, but I wonder if someone like Kessel would be an option on a 1 year deal. Still a 50 point player, and could be a bit of a boost to the PP. Worst case we are out of it by the deadline and we move him for a pick.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Aho, Hutton, and Salo will be battling it out for the 6th and 7th spots (since they didn't announced a Wotherspoon extension today I assume he is leaving the organization).

Didn't announce Durandeau either and I'd be very surprised if he's out.

I just think they haven't wrapped things up with these two as both would be AHLers.

Although, I think Wotherspoon is at a point where he has to get a one-way contract and then is no loner waiver-exempt, right?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Not expecting much until the deadline, but I wonder if someone like Kessel would be an option on a 1 year deal. Still a 50 point player, and could be a bit of a boost to the PP. Worst case we are out of it by the deadline and we move him for a pick.
I think he's done as a competitive player.

Reactions: danteipp

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Well, the RFAs signings were announced today.

Lou also had a conference call and verified what we've suspected since the Kadri signing was announced, namely that he's more than fine with the group he has and that no move could be made in which he didn't feel this team/organization would come out as the loser of the transaction.

That mum was the word until now, shortly after Kadri's signing, basically verifies that he was involved there and looking to make things happen.

I think, in that case, it's very prudent not to let the GMs know what part of your 11 million in space is going to Dobson, Romanov, and Bellows, even if they surely assumed it'd be roughly 9 million. Ultimately, it could have played a role on the trade front. If a GM knows exactly what your payment structure looks like, they know exactly how much of a pinch you're in.

Did it mean anything?

At the end of the day, no.

As to whether Lou should conduct his business with this shroud of secretiveness - hmmm, I'd hate to think a GM would feel he has a certain advantage by approaching business in a certain manner that he deems advantageous, but wouldn't do it just because fans are hungry for news and will bitch and moan if they don't get it.

On the other hand, if people aren't renewing season ticket plans because they're not seeing any transactions they'd deem to be progress after a non-playoff season, then that's something the team and Lou will have to live with.

And the owners would have to decide if it's something they're willing to accept.

He's on the hotspot. He changed the coach. He made one player addition at the cost of futures. Two old guys are out. That's really all.

Now these guys gotta perform for him in the manner he entrusts them to or else he's gotta pay the price. Ultimately, the owners will have to make that decision.

Sure hope it works out. I don't want to live through a repeat of last season.
Pretty much this, whether us fans like it or not.

Firing Trotz (who by the way is not coaching next season) was mostly about reinforcing that whoever the bench boss is of the Islanders next season is 100% committed and motivated to the job.

Chara and Greene -> out and some combination of Aho/Hutton/Romanov/Salo -> in restores much needed mobility to the defense.

Lamoriello is expecting that Barzal to return to the ~80 point mark in a contract year, Beauvillier to bounce back and eclipse the 40+ point mark, Palmieri to return to his 20+ goal self, and Bellows + Wahlstrom to take steps forward in their development.

Didn't announce Durandeau either and I'd be very surprised if he's out.

I just think they haven't wrapped things up with these two as both would be AHLers.

Although, I think Wotherspoon is at a point where he has to get a one-way contract and then is no loner waiver-exempt, right?
I would be disappointed if Durandeau was out, couldn’t really care less about Wotherspoon although I think he’d make a fine Captain in Bridgeport and would at the very least push younger guys in camp.

I’m still hoping we see a PTO on the backend (Dekeyser, Murray, etc.) and one up front (Ennis, Gagner, etc.).

Reactions: danteipp

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

That forward will likely be Holmstrom or Raty, with Dufour as the longer shot. One thing I am confident about is all 3 will play a game in the NHL this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad