Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That's just putting you on a somewhat level playing field after 30+ years. Maybe players are just not really that interested in playing for a burbanite team that plays second fiddle to NYR?
I doubt it’s that. All of the sudden star players don’t have a problem signing up to play in Sunrise or Kanata or Newark.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Now that the contracts are dropping you can see how difficult it would have been to move salary to bring Kadri in. Haven’t seen Dobson yet but I’m guessing he comes in at a value that is just enough to squeeze Aho/veteran on a PTO/Salo in to compete the 23 man roster.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Now that the contracts are dropping you can see how difficult it would have been to move salary to bring Kadri in. Haven’t seen Dobson yet but I’m guessing he comes in at a value that is just enough to squeeze Aho/veteran on a PTO/Salo in to compete the 23 man roster.
If Dobson gets 5.5M per (just a random guess), NYI has 1.185M in cap space with a 23 man roster.

So the team is basically set at this point.

Mock lines as of today...

Lee-Nelson-Beauvillier
Bellows-Barzal-Palmieri
Bailey-Pageau-Wahlstrom
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Johnston, Parise

Pelech-Pulock
Romanov-Dobson
Salo-Mayfield
Aho

Sorokin
Varlamov

:help:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
But even then, there's not really reason to believe. It's just as plausible that Kadri's camp knew the Isles were interested, and wasn't in any hurry. There could be no verbal agreement, he could have just preferred LI to Calgary and since he already waited this long he'd just keep waiting to see if Lou could move the money. I may be nitpicking, but verbal agreement seems too strong of a phrase to use with any certainty. It was probably more just a mutual interest thing he waited to see if it would play out. He might have been willing to take less money to come here....who knows. I don't think there is reason to believe anything without sounding foolish.

And at the end of the day...What difference does it make? Kadri/no other notable player was added this offseason so this team is not better than the one from last season.

So your Cup hopes are not riding on a more talented roster, but that hopefully all the negative things from last year (13 game road trip, settling into the new arena, Covid issues, etc) were stopping this group from winning a championship.

...Oh and you also have to hope that a first-time coach is better than a Hall of Fame one.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
If Dobson gets 5.5M per (just a random guess), NYI has 1.185M in cap space with a 23 man roster.

Lee-Nelson-Beauvillier
Bellows-Barzal-Palmieri
Bailey-Pageau-Wahlstrom
Johnston, Parise

Pelech-Pulock
Romanov-Dobson
Salo-Mayfield
Aho

Sorokin
Varlamov

Yep. Just enough for a PTO to get a league minimum contract.

Reactions: duster19

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

Lee-Nelson-Beauvillier
Bellows-Barzal-Palmieri
Bailey-Pageau-Wahlstrom
Johnston, Parise

Pelech-Pulock
Romanov-Dobson
Salo-Mayfield
Aho

Sorokin
Varlamov

Yep. I suspect a vet PTO as well. Would not be surprised to see Salo start in BPT.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You're 100% right.

My post was basically intended to point out that people are going ape-sh%& ballistic about things that they've never once actually heard from Lou and the front office.

They seem to be pushing themselves towards heart attack land based on thoughts like "Calgary was willing to pay the price to bring in Kadri. Stupid Lou wrongfully wasn't. Boo hoo."

And that's just a terribly poppycock take based on admittedly educated assumptions, but also pumped up by people whose business is to gain clicks, acting as though they know something that all of us know they don't - and can't.

Now, as you and I both know, an assumption based on Lou's actual track record in general, and now especially with this club, is that he probably values a guy like Bailey in ways many fans don't see or understand, for better or worse. Anyone in the know can look at this roster and determine that, in order to add a high profile free agent, someone would have to go and Bailey would be the most likely target for trade based on his age and price tag.

But we know that Lou has a different way of valuing his players, both as parts of the puzzle and as human beings he believes in.

Again, for better or worse.

But here's the thing....Because there's no more secretive GM in sports than Lou it leaves fans having no choice but to speculate on what the hell he's up to. I mean the guy couldn't even announce a minimum wage Parise signing until trainign camp last year. And you just know that everyone in hockey circles knew it so WTF advantage would that ever give? It wouldn't, and at some point you need to respect your season ticket holders and overall fanbase by being more upfront with what's going on.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
Maybe the Dobson AAV is being held until after the conference so it doesn't have to be questioned. I'm running out of ideas to grasp Lou's approach.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
But here's the thing....Because there's no more secretive GM in sports than Lou it leaves fans having no choice but to speculate on what the hell he's up to. I mean the guy couldn't even announce a minimum wage Parise signing until trainign camp last year. And you just know that everyone in hockey circles knew it so WTF advantage would that ever give? It wouldn't, and at some point you need to respect your season ticket holders and overall fanbase by being more upfront with what's going on.
That’s the thing, EVERYONE KNOWS. They know his shtick, and again most people already know the details. There is very little he’s gaining by still conducting business as such.

Like you said, there are fans/ticket holders that deserve to know and deserve to not be left in the dark because of his ego.

Reactions: periferal

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I believe Lou has improved the roster this year by adding Romanov to the D core instead of Chara. Has he done enough to make this a contending team?
No, not by a long shot and the coaching change is obviously a big unknown.

The off-season is not over yet though and all the speculation is just that.
There a still potential for moves over the next few weeks
and decisions in training camp.

Do we see Raty or Dufour on a 10 game call-up? How about Holmstrom? All GM decisions.

A lot can happen in training camp There is plenty to be excited about and look forward to this upcoming season.

Reactions: duster19

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Here's a quick look at what next season will be like if we just re-sign our RFAs and UFAs to reasonable contracts.... no room for more changes without *gulp* moving out a contract. Also no room to re-sign Bellows. Have to think this is the last season for one of Mayfield or Varlamov barring the cap rising 5M or so
Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 9.46.15 AM.png

Reactions: SI

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
And at the end of the day...What difference does it make? Kadri/no other notable player was added this offseason so this team is not better than the one from last season.

So your Cup hopes are not riding on a more talented roster, but that hopefully all the negative things from last year (13 game road trip, settling into the new arena, Covid issues, etc) were stopping this group from winning a championship.

...Oh and you also have to hope that a first-time coach is better than a Hall of Fame one.
Thanks a LOT for the Hillary/Benghazi flashback
😂😂😂

• Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Next off-season looks pretty interesting now: over 21 mil in space with Barzal, Varlamov, Wahlstrom, Bellows, and Mayfield as notable FAs, Bailey and Beauvillier with one year left on their deals at that point. Way more flexibility.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Here's a quick look at what next season will be like if we just re-sign our RFAs and UFAs to reasonable contracts.... no room for more changes without *gulp* moving out a contract. Also no room to re-sign Bellows. Have to think this is the last season for one of Mayfield or Varlamov barring the cap rising 5M or soView attachment 578791

I like Mayfield, but someone like Hutton showing they are ready for third line minutes would be very helpful.

And, if the Isles are out of it come trade deadline time, they really need to move Varlamov, unless he wants to sign a below-market deal and hang around, and ideally pick up a cheap backup along the way so the position is settled at a set cost going into the off season.

Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad