Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Here's a quick look at what next season will be like if we just re-sign our RFAs and UFAs to reasonable contracts.... no room for more changes without *gulp* moving out a contract. Also no room to re-sign Bellows. Have to think this is the last season for one of Mayfield or Varlamov barring the cap rising 5M or soView attachment 578791
Nice one.

Add Holmstrom to that roster since he will have to pass thru waivers if he doesn't make the team.
My guess is the Cap goes up to 84, but Lou will be back in the same predicament with moving a contract out if he wants to add a big free agent.

Hopefully, the landscape improves, but Lou may have to think about moving contracts earlier than the offseason, like if beau doesn't have a great year maybe moving him at the deadline for picks and rolling with Raty, Holmstrom, or Bellows in his slot.

I also see mayfield and Varlamov resigning.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
Here's a quick look at what next season will be like if we just re-sign our RFAs and UFAs to reasonable contracts.... no room for more changes without *gulp* moving out a contract. Also no room to re-sign Bellows. Have to think this is the last season for one of Mayfield or Varlamov barring the cap rising 5M or soView attachment 578791
Have to hope one of Martin or Johnston gets buried next season. Also that Holmstrom gives a run for a spot.
Projections are reasonable for sure. Best case for me is if we can get Barzy on the Draisatl/Zibanejad 8x8.5 contract which would save 500k from this model.

Reactions: danteipp

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I cant see that happening considering he was on a bargain contract, its time for him to cash in and he deserves to.
A Josh Manson type deal is what it probably looks like or maybe an added year with a decreased AAV. 5y/20m for Mayfield.

For Varlamov I see a 3y/7m or a 2y/6m. The only way I see Varly not come back is Lou moving Varly at the deadline but gets a quality back up in return, who is signed for 2023 season, like Francouz.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I see Varlamov signing at about 2.5 mil and Mayfield is gone. Godspeed, good soldier, it’s time for you to cash in and it can’t happen here. Promote Hutton, trade one or both of Bailey/Beauvillier (with retention if need be), use the money saved towards a winger.

Reactions: MJF

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I guess we dance with what we have and see where we stand at the trade deadline. I was hoping for more (and there still could be) but I'm not going to get too bent out of shape. This team can be competitive.....if most things break right for them. Not a helluva lot of margin of error though.

And if everything goes south, there's always Conor Bedard to hope for.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Here's a look with us moving out Bailey for the cost of a second, buying out Clutterbuck and the cap going up. Check out that evil cap space number

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.21.38 AM.png

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I guess we dance with what we have and see where we stand at the trade deadline. I was hoping for more (and there still could be) but I'm not going to get too bent out of shape. This team can be competitive.....if most things break right for them. Not a helluva lot of margin of error though.

And if everything goes south, there's always Conor Bedard to hope for.

I have faith that fat Powder, aka Bill Daly, would never let that happen, lol. The Isles will select right after the elite talent is gone.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I got 4.6 million in space according to Cap Friendly and 21 players with Martin/Bellows making it and Johnston buried and one (but not both) of Salo/Aho making it; which my guess is Sebastian early on unless Robin forces the issue (personally I wouldn't have re-signed Aho).

Forwards: (13)
Mathew Barzal
Brock Nelson
Anders Lee
Kyle Palmieri
Josh Bailey
Anthony Beauvillier
Jean-Gabriel Pageau
Oliver Wahlstrom
Casey Cizikas
Zach Parise
Cal Clutterbuck
Matt Martin
Kieffer Bellows

Defense: (6)
Adam Pelech
Ryan Pulock
Noah Dobson
Alexander Romanov
Scott Mayfield
Sebastian Aho

Goalies: (2)
Ilya Sorokin
Semyon Varlamov

Others: F's Ross Johnston and Richard Panik (buried)

Total: $77.89 million/ $4.61 million in cap space

I could still see them add another veteran D and F to this mix and still have cap space to play with. Hell, burying Martin gets you at 20 and close to 6 million...

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006
One more roster slot available. Just under $3.5m of space. I imagine we see a 1-year deal for one of the following vets: Kessel, Stastny, Stralman, Subban, DeHaan.

I can almost guarantee Lou wants no part of Sonny Milano. I don't think his character fits the Lou mold.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
I got 4.6 million in space according to Cap Friendly and 21 players with Martin/Bellows making it and Johnston buried and one (but not both) of Salo/Aho making it; which my guess is Sebastian early on unless Robin forces the issue (personally I wouldn't have re-signed Aho).

Forwards: (12)
Mathew Barzal
Brock Nelson
Anders Lee
Josh Bailey
Anthony Beauvillier
Jean-Gabriel Pageau
Oliver Wahlstrom
Casey Cizikas
Zach Parise
Cal Clutterbuck
Matt Martin
Kieffer Bellows

Defense: (6)
Adam Pelech
Ryan Pulock
Noah Dobson
Alexander Romanov
Scott Mayfield
Sebastian Aho

Goalies: (2)
Ilya Sorokin
Semyon Varlamov

Others: F's Ross Johnston and Richard Panik (buried)

I could still see them add another veteran D and F to this mix and still have cap space to play with. Hell, burying Martin gets you at 20 and close to 6 million...

Id definitely like to see at least 1D PTO. Murray, Stralman, Russell. Just a depth guy who can play behind Salo/Aho, maybe get like 25-30 games, while the other get time in Bridgeport

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
One more roster slot available. Just under $3.5m of space. I imagine we see a 1-year deal for one of the following vets: Kessel, Stastny, Stralman, Subban, DeHaan.

I can almost guarantee Lou wants no part of Sonny Milano. I don't think his character fits the Lou mold.

I can’t Believe Stralman is still unsigned. He’s still a really good solid defenseman. Wouldn’t mind him being our #6

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
And at the end of the day...What difference does it make? Kadri/no other notable player was added this offseason so this team is not better than the one from last season.

So your Cup hopes are not riding on a more talented roster, but that hopefully all the negative things from last year (13 game road trip, settling into the new arena, Covid issues, etc) were stopping this group from winning a championship.

...Oh and you also have to hope that a first-time coach is better than a Hall of Fame one.
there is a big gap between last season and a cup. i'd be happy with a good team, winning hockey, a playoff berth and player development improvement

Reactions: danteipp

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Re: speculation about what Lou might and might not have been doing these past weeks, don't forget that Lou has said repeatedly that he likes "the group". And there was also this:

So maybe Lou was calling around, and maybe he made a low offer to Kadri, or maybe not. Maybe where we are right now was his plan all along. Criticize him for that if you like, but I don't understand the definitive "he missed out on JG and Kadri because he couldn't make cap space". We don't know that.

Reactions: Mike C and Throttle

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Nah, I guarantee you he will bring in another D, even if it is just a PTO.

Another forward to battle Bellows seems likely as well.......

Here come all the "after Kadri signs somewhere else" educated "we are standing pat" tweets....

Reactions: duster19

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
there is a big gap between last season and a cup. i'd be happy with a good team, winning hockey, a playoff berth and player development improvement
Just gotta get in.

The Islanders have a better starter than probably 29/31 teams. That's a big advantage in a playoff series.

Sorokin stole like two games in that playoff series versus Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Mike C

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It won't be quite this high. Take 800K away for the 7th D (Salo/Aho/Hutton rotate for that roster D). I aggree that NYI will probably try to go with 13 forwards, but only about 60% of the time. So add maybe 550K to that. So, really about 3-3.2M space before considering LTIR accrued over the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad