Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Anyone who doesn't see this offseason (3/4ths into it) as a failure, is rationalizing or deluding themselves. Lou, himself (from the outset) stated that he wanted to bring in a defensive D man (Romanov was a good start), an offensive D man (nothing), and add skill to the forward group (nothing).
They are the same ones who will argue that we have players with no trade value or even negative trade value, but also that it’s perfectly fine to go into the season with the same roster. It’s a very unique coping mechanism

Reactions: periferal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anyone who doesn't see this offseason (3/4ths into it) as a failure, is rationalizing or deluding themselves. Lou, himself (from the outset) stated that he wanted to bring in a defensive D man (Romanov was a good start), an offensive D man (nothing), and add skill to the forward group (nothing).

It's not a good offseason, I don't think anyone would say it was.

They are the same ones who will argue that we have players with no trade value or even negative trade value, but also that it’s perfectly fine to go into the season with the same roster. It’s a very unique coping mechanism

It's not a coping mechanism, it's understanding that not all things are a binary.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
It's not a good offseason, I don't think anyone would say it was.

It's not a coping mechanism, it's understanding that not all things are a binary.
Well, the guy with the old voice, stashed up with 4 mil of pocket change patrolling the Broadway honky tonks in the country music capital of the world might look back and say it's been a good off season indeed!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Lambert is thinking of tinkering with Barzal or Nelson on the wing, Sam Steel could potentially be a savvy pickup as a middle six center.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think the line of Lee-Nelson and Beau will all put up 60pts each. Nelson definitely, my guess if Beau has a good year on this line his points would be in the 50's. Mainly because he won't put up many goals since Nelson and Lee will score the majority of them. Beau will become more of a playmaker, going into the corners. Dare I say like a young Bailey when he played with Lee and Nelson o_O

Put him on the line for a full year with Brazal....lets see who he proves wrong.
Your comment doesn't make sense. Everyone thinks he should score 20 goals on the 2nd line. You can't see him scoring 25 on Brazal's line for a full year? Really?

Barzal

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Curious why Lou has not yet announced any RFA and UFA signings if already done. Why the wait?

Do you think Isles should give Dufour the 9 games to see if he can play at the NHL level? Dufour can PK and is sound defensively and maybe can play a bit of 2nd line PP should someone struggle or is on jury leave. With his size and defensive game, does he really need to play in AHL to get better? Give him a chance to prove himself at training camp and the start of the season. His shot is not worse than Bellows.

I think. Isles may benefit from signing Sam Steel for cheap for the short term to see if he can bring some of his offensive gifts to this team. Trade 2024 1st (lottery protected), Bellows's RFA right, and Bailey to a team with enough cap space. If must, retain $1.5 M on Bailey's contract. Keep Beau to see if he can have a bounce-back year under a new coach. Try him on a line with Wally/Palm on the other side and Barzal.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
No, I don’t but he resigns somewhere in the 8-9.5 range. Again, your value system in not in line with the market.

Barzal has also only played 350 games and he just turned 25. All of those players except Thomas have played less. So, let’s understand that he is not a finished product and there is still more to his game.

I don’t believe it is a good thing to sign Maty now - let him earn his bump in salary. Barzal has a lot to prove this season and will come in very motivated as well will most of the group.
All those comparables went from ELC to long term deal. The team bought into growth and performance. Barzal went from ELC to bridge to what may be a long term deal - that includes having a Calder in his pocket that none of those players have. Barzal is a ‘15 draft, he should be better than those players. Each of those players are on non-playoff teams and will continue to be. They have the cap space to invest in those players. Eventually, they may end up just like the Isles since they all sit in tough markets to attract players, they will have to overpay UFAs, thus squeezing their available space to improve.

Having 60point forwards making $7M+ is going to have an impact on roster construction and not in a good way. If that player is betting 30Gs, that’s one thing, but considering Barzal’s years of service to date and production (or lack thereof) in multiple areas of the game, well, the Isles are taking a huge risk signing him for ‘market rate’ as a 60 point forward. Hey, but if that makes Isles fans feel good that the Isles have a ‘star’ ‘talent’ that can skate around the rink, well, go for it. Don’t piss and moan when all the overpaid middling players need to be replaced with others of the same and the most expensive players is chewing up $3M of cap space that could be used in another way.

The game has shifted to paying premium dollars/cap earlier in time because of the cap, so guys on 4th/5th contracts and older guys have a limited pool of funds. See the glutton of incoming PTOs. Teams are investing (hoping) that a player performing on ELC will continue to progress to earn the lofty contract/cap. If not, those teams are in a real tough spot. This is just starting to take shape now as teams bypass the bridge deal and go from ELC to Long Term Deal based on 2-3 year’s performance. It’s risky and a lot of teams will get jammed up on it.

Barzal has this season to produce without a ‘suffocating’ coach holding him back. Let’s see what he does and how his game changes for the benefit of the team.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Whatever Lou may still do, please just do not trade Dobson. Honestly, think he is now the most talented player on this team, young healthy talented RHD with high hockey IQ is hard to find so why give him away, especially given that Isles do not have RHD in the pipeline to play in the top 4? He is worth a big extension. Isles gave away Chara when he was young long ago. Do not repeat the same mistake.

Miller also seems quite reluctant to talk to Isles for an extension. Bet you that he still has hope that Rags will move a big contract next year to fit him next summer. How do you sign a player who does not want to play for your team? If Miller was interested to play for Isles, he would likely have already been an Isles. Instead, Isles should wait for next year's UFA market, there are some good players there that may be available for less and it will be easier to move Bailey's contract next summer with only one year left, especially if he has a productive year. If Canucks demand Dobson included in a trade package, let them talk to another team or just keep Miller until they change their demand.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Whatever Lou may still do, please just do not trade Dobson. Honestly, think he is now the most talented player on this team, young healthy talented RHD with high hockey IQ is hard to find so why give him away, especially given that Isles do not have RHD in the pipeline to play in the top 4? He is worth a big extension. Isles gave away Chara when he was young long ago. Do not repeat the same mistake.

Miller also seems quite reluctant to talk to Isles for an extension. Bet you that he still has hope that Rags will move a big contract next year to fit him next summer. How do you sign a player who does not want to play for your team? If Miller was interested to play for Isles, he would likely have already been an Isles. Instead, Isles should wait for next year's UFA market, there are some good players there that may be available for less and it will be easier to move Bailey's contract next summer with only one year left, especially if he has a productive year. If Canucks demand Dobson included in a trade package, let them talk to another team or just keep Miller until they change their demand.

Wasn't the rumor that the Canucks weren't allowing anyone to talk to Miller's agent about an extension? Did that situation change?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If Lambert is thinking of tinkering with Barzal or Nelson on the wing, Sam Steel could potentially be a savvy pickup as a middle six center.
Steel was a bust with Anaheim, no reason to think he could beat out Raty for the opening if one of the centers moved.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Dobson went through a big adjustment in the first half of the season - that’s somewhat expected. Hopefully, one of the rare benefits of last season was Chara mentoring Dobson and the Isles get a nice decade benefit from that. He picked it up got into a groove in the second half unlike a lot of other guys.

Highly unlikely Lou trades Dobson - he’s developing into a premium high end right shot d-man. You keep those as they are rare to come by.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
Regarding Sam Steel:

From looking at youtube highlights(I know not the best) and reading the Ducks board

It seems like he never put it all together and some of the goals are great as he is going to the net but it goes off his skate or the defender hits it in. Then he will have a nice goal or two with a great shot or great backhand. One of his goals he had a step on the defender and another defender was behind him instead of taking it to the net or taking a shot he seemed to do a Josh Bailey move and tried to pass it backwards when it was clearly covered now it went in the net because it hit off the back defender.

If we were a young team i'd take a chance on him or if he willing to do a PTO, or a 2 way contract sure give him a chance. However, he doesn't seem to have what we need currently neither.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Re: "not" being able to move Bailey and Beau:
I'm afraid we've got to remember that every single thing we've read and heard about this team looking to move these guys in order to be able to make space for Kadri was pure, unequivocal hearsay and guesstimates. Not a thing was confirmed or verified or quoted or even hinted at from the horse's mouth.

People in the biz played connect the dots and we very hungry fans in Islanderville were very happy to have something, anything, to contemplate, as no less than this thread goes to show.

But there's not a single verified anything coming from the NYI front office, much less Lou himself, on who this team was or is trying to sign or was or is trying to move.

Not one word.

So, any fan or pundit out there making claims of "Lou was shopping player YY or ZZ" or "Lou wasn't willing to pay the price to move player YY or ZZ" actually doesn't know jack shit.

That Lou said he'd likely have to make a hockey trade back at the trade deadline did happen, and unless you count the move for Romanov (I always thought a "hockey trade" was more an indication of moving one NHLer for another), then that hasn't happened (yet).

So there's that.

But everything else is just fans and pundits making assumptions.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
From looking at youtube highlights(I know not the best) and reading the Ducks board

It seems like he never put it all together and some of the goals are great as he is going to the net but it goes off his skate or the defender hits it in. Then he will have a nice goal or two with a great shot or great backhand. One of his goals he had a step on the defender and another defender was behind him instead of taking it to the net or taking a shot he seemed to do a Josh Bailey move and tried to pass it backwards when it was clearly covered now it went in the net because it hit off the back defender.

If we were a young team i'd take a chance on him or if he willing to do a PTO, or a 2 way contract sure give him a chance. However, he doesn't seem to have what we need currently neither.

Are you referring to Steel here?

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I'm afraid we've got to remember that every single thing we've read and heard about this team looking to move these guys in order to be able to make space from Kadri was pure, unequivocal hearsay and guesstimates. Not a thing was confirmed or verified or quoted or even hinted at from the horse's mouth.

People in the biz played connect the dots and we very hungry fans in Islanderville were very happy to have something, anything, to contemplate, as no less than this thread goes to show.

But there's not a single verified anything coming from the NYI front office, much less Lou himself, on who this team was or is trying to sign or was or is trying to move.

Not one word.

So, any fan or pundit out there making claims of "Lou was shopping player YY or ZZ" or "Lou wasn't willing to pay the price to move player YY or ZZ" actually doesn't know jack shit.

That Lou said he'd likely have to make a hockey trade back at the trade deadline did happen, and unless you count the move for Romanov (I always thought a "hockey trade" was more an indication of moving one NHLer for another), then that hasn't happened (yet).

So there's that.

One of the most valuable lessons I've ever been taught in life was when an old timer told me

"Son, you need to start learning to live in the what IS and not the what IF"

Reactions: Big L

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'm afraid we've got to remember that every single thing we've read and heard about this team looking to move these guys in order to be able to make space from Kadri was pure, unequivocal hearsay and guesstimates. Not a thing was confirmed or verified or quoted or even hinted at from the horse's mouth.

Not one word.

So there's that.

Isles fans are click happy that generates engagement, which generates revenue for the operator. That's all it is. One 'correspondent' is just the marketing arm for a website into this click happy fanbase and you see how that played out...You can be a 'correspondent' on that site too, they have plenty of teams available.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Curious why Lou has not yet announced any RFA and UFA signings if already done. Why the wait?

Do you think Isles should give Dufour the 9 games to see if he can play at the NHL level? Dufour can PK and is sound defensively and maybe can play a bit of 2nd line PP should someone struggle or is on jury leave. With his size and defensive game, does he really need to play in AHL to get better? Give him a chance to prove himself at training camp and the start of the season. His shot is not worse than Bellows.

I think. Isles may benefit from signing Sam Steel for cheap for the short term to see if he can bring some of his offensive gifts to this team. Trade 2024 1st (lottery protected), Bellows's RFA right, and Bailey to a team with enough cap space. If must, retain $1.5 M on Bailey's contract. Keep Beau to see if he can have a bounce-back year under a new coach. Try him on a line with Wally/Palm on the other side and Barzal.
IMO Bellows and Dufour have different shots, Bellows gets his shot off quicker, snap shot. Dufour’s shot IMO is much heavier more of a traditional wrist shot that can punch through a goalie.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Truth be told, going into this offseason I was pretty confident a team like AZ, Ottawa, or NJ would take on Bailey or Beau without requiring an asset. These two could be useful to a lot of rebuilding clubs with space. I suspect the league knew Lou was in a bind, and weaponized that cap space. His incognito approach doesn't work.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
IMO Bellows and Dufour have different shots, Bellows gets his shot off quicker, snap shot. Dufour’s shot IMO is much heavier more of a traditional wrist shot that can punch through a goalie.
I watched the video of his 60 goals and can tell you he has a fine one-timer when it was available

Reactions: NC 1972

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Because they are probably not done. There are no other further moves, except for a veteran d man and maybe a couple of PTOs.

I think it is a terrible idea to attach any future draft picks to move out salary. They may find it easier to move Bailey next season with only 1 year left and another bump in the cap.

I think we will see all the contracts reported at once - Last year it was September 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad