Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
IDK, Kurz wasn't quoting anyone and he wasn't talking about a specific team, so he was just talking very generally about what he was hearing, and that "his understanding" was that Bailey was not being shopped. And Lou did say they were looking to make hockey trades rather than just signing guys. So maybe the whole "they're trying to move Bailey to make space to sign JG/Kadri" was a total fiction?
The Bailey and Varly nonsense was started by a blogger, not a person working for a network or something similar, projecting what fans wanted to hear (or he 'scooped' online from what fans were saying and what may have logically fit).

Does that take Dobson to UFA or RFA?
RFA

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
But what if he called and told you he'd traded you to Calgary for Huberdeau's top fan plus a 2023 2nd?

Would you go so we could get the extra pick, or would you invoke your Long Island or bust option?

Since I don't live in Long Island I'm pretty open, but for Calgary I have to invoke my NMC. Had it been for Florida's top fan when Huberdeau was playing there I would've waived it.

Reactions: leeroggy

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Then you are obviously thrilled with the job Lou is doing.

For me...I'm only in it to win the Cup. If we're legit heading in that direction I can be patient, but if there's no hope of winning on the horizon I'm not going to take solace in just "making the playoffs."

Oh I love this phrase. Has anyone ever used, "It is what it is," and it be a positive thing? :laugh:

"Ladies and gentlemen...Your 2022-2023 New...York...Islanders. It is what it is."
Wouldn't say I'm thrilled. I would say that I'm a fan and I'd rather make the playoffs than not. Winning a cup goes way far beyond what my opinion of Uncle Lou is

back from vacation.. So glad we didnt sign Kadri LOL
What's good buddy! Where did you go? I wanted the Nazzer but not crying over it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
IDK, Kurz wasn't quoting anyone and he wasn't talking about a specific team, so he was just talking very generally about what he was hearing, and that "his understanding" was that Bailey was not being shopped. And Lou did say they were looking to make hockey trades rather than just signing guys. So maybe the whole "they're trying to move Bailey to make space to sign JG/Kadri" was a total fiction?

Actually the way Kurz phased it was that Bailey isn't being shopped now. Because I 100% believe that Lou wanted to sign Kadri, I refuse to believe that Bailey WASN'T being shopped at all over the past 2 months.

Wouldn't say I'm thrilled. I would say that I'm a fan and I'd rather make the playoffs than not. Winning a cup goes way far beyond what my opinion of Uncle Lou is

Just so I'm clear...

You're saying that you don't believe Lou can GM the Islanders to a Cup?

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Actually the way Kurz phased it was that Bailey isn't being shopped now. Because I 100% believe that Lou wanted to sign Kadri, I refuse to believe that Bailey WASN'T being shopped at all over the past 2 months.

Just so I'm clear...

You're saying that you don't believe Lou can GM the Islanders to a Cup?
I'm saying Lou has done good things and things I wouldn't have done. Prior to last season, we were one game away from the finals. So yes, in the overall realm of it, Lou can GM us to the Cup.

I'm also saying that there are many components to winning a championship outside of a team's front office

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'm saying Lou has done good things and things I wouldn't have done. Prior to last season, we were one game away from the finals. So yes, in the overall realm of it, Lou can GM us to the Cup.

I'm also saying that there are many components to winning a championship outside of a team's front office

OK, well then no idea what, "Winning a cup goes way far beyond what my opinion of Uncle Lou is," means.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
OK, well then no idea what, "Winning a cup goes way far beyond what my opinion of Uncle Lou is," means.
Just meant that it doesn't matter what I think. I'm just a fan with no say. I root no matter what.

I think a team can compensate on the ice and behind the bench for bad GM decisions and conversely can stink up the joint despite the best GM decisions

Sorry for any confusion.Wasnt my intent! Should have worded it better (1st day of high school homeschool....not as sharp as usual)

Reactions: periferal

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The Isles absolutely should bring in a player to compete with Salo and Aho for that final LHD spot.

It would be incredibly stupid to not at least sign a player to a PTO or a contract that can essentially be buried in the minors.

Worst case they don't win the job and you bury them at Bridgeport for no real cost or they get claimed on waivers. No harm, no foul.

Best case they win the job, Salo goes back to Bridgeport as solid depth and, if someone claims Aho, so be it.

Unless Aho hung out with Barry Bonds in the off season and completed his training program, I don't need to see him getting tossed around the ice again.

Aho showed a little bit last season, but not enough to warrant his only competition being Salo.

And Salo should have gotten more time in the NHL last year, especially once the season was in the tank, and that is presumably on Trotz.

Now, if they also plan to try Hutton on his offhand, MAYBE I could understand that they have too many players for limited spots, but not sure I see that happening.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site

Honestly, Covid playoffs with no fans or buildings 1/2 capacity to me were almost like pre-season games.
That said, I find it hard to say with conviction that this team was one game away and feeling that we just needed
to add 1 more player. At least one of the "Contenders" did win both years but Montreal a team prior to their cup final appearance was not even in the playoffs if there wasn't a play-in round and subsequently after their Final appearance proceeded to finish last while we were 13th from the bottom. I think its fair to say that adding Romanov was a move that needed to be made and will certainly put us back into the 7/8th race but in no means does it put us in a category of cup contender. I think Lou for the most part has failed this off season as our overall speed hasn't changed much and from what I've read about his conference today, it sounds like he is the coach and not Lambert but suggesting we are still going to be a "defensive team" , I thought that was up to the coach as long as it brings wins

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Just to add one final thought, I can understand how hard it is to land a top free agent, since they have options.

But signing a player that is left now, when the Isles are one of the few "competitive" teams with cap space, to add competition alongside a bunch of NHL neophytes is just common sense and good planning.

I would add that NOT bringing in a vet to compete at LHD is almost malpractice.

And there should be a good player or two willing to sign a prove-it deal to play with the Isles defense, so they can try and raise their profile going forward and compete from the start of the season vs. waiting until the trade deadline to be moved to a contender.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Bargain bin?

Like another poster stated, out of what's left I like Sam Steel. Feel like he got a little lost. Motte is another guy. Grimaldi for Bridgeport would also be nice.

Reactions: Seph

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Honestly, Covid playoffs with no fans or buildings 1/2 capacity to me were almost like pre-season games.
That said, I find it hard to say with conviction that this team was one game away and feeling that we just needed
to add 1 more player. At least one of the "Contenders" did win both years but Montreal a team prior to their cup final appearance was not even in the playoffs if there wasn't a play-in round and subsequently after their Final appearance proceeded to finish last while we were 13th from the bottom. I think its fair to say that adding Romanov was a move that needed to be made and will certainly put us back into the 7/8th race but in no means does it put us in a category of cup contender. I think Lou for the most part has failed this off season as our overall speed hasn't changed much and from what I've read about his conference today, it sounds like he is the coach and not Lambert but suggesting we are still going to be a "defensive team" , I thought that was up to the coach as long as it brings wins
Not disagreeing. I think that's why he stayed within organization to go with Lambert who fits Lou's "profile" as a coach with this team

As limited as it may be in certain areas, IF we get into playoffs, even last season, we can contend because of D, Goaltending and style of play

The hope is that game elevations of Wally, Barzal, Dobson and 2nd half/playoff Palms vs 1st half Palms and the subtracted Greene and Z plus a healthy Pullock and Mayfield are enough to get us in position.

I can see it both ways and it can go either way but we're tied for 1st going in.

Lou wanted to run it back with these guys, hopefully they won't let him (or us) down

LET'S GO ISLES!

Reactions: Seph

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The Isles are not going to waive Ross Johnston or bury him - not happening and they are not going to give Bellows 1.2 just for him to also lose his spot to Milano or Steel. This is the team.

I imagine there will be another D man that gets signed - even if Lou mentioned they are going internally. The team does not have the depth in the AHL to not add. They need depth and to protect themselves from injury. Chara was signed after September 1st and Gustafsson was brought in as a PTO.

Isles D prospects playing in the AHL-
Bolduc, Hutton, Wotherspoon

Wilde - do not know if he plays at Bridgeport or is loaned out again

AHL vets -
Ryan Mackinnon

New Signings -
Tim Cosgrove
Vincent Sevigny

Last edited:

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
Lou has always been the coach. Same in almost all sports. The gm doesn't just hire a coach and tell him to get get at it. The gm hires a coach, who interviews, tells the gm he's gona coach in a method that the gm wants to hear...and see happen. That's the coach hired. And then after that the coach does what the gm tells him to each day...or is replaced.. its very possible that trotz didn't do exactly what he was told by Lou ...in regard to the young forward playing time. But this was always going to be Lou coaching. One time he got rid of the middle man and made himself coach a couple weeks before the playoffs just to ensure no lost messages.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The Isles are not going to bury Ross Johnston or bury him - not happening and they are not going to give Bellows 1.2 just for him to also lose his spot to Milano or Steel. This is the team.

I imagine there will be another D man that gets signed - even if Lou mentioned they are going internally. The team does not have the depth in the AHL to not add. They need depth and to protect themselves from injury. Chara was signed after September 1st and Gustafsson was brought in as a PTO.

Isles D prospects playing in the AHL-
Bolduc, Hutton, Wotherspoon

Wilde - do not know if he plays at Bridgeport or is loaned out again

AHL vets -
Ryan Mackinnon

New Signings -
Tim Cosgrove
Vincent Sevigny

Totally agree, the Isles absolutely should bring in another defenseman for competition. There isn't any downside, provided the contract fits and it doesn't impact the cap too much.

As an aside, I am interested to see what Sevigny can do in the AHL. I have looked into him a bit and there is some talent there. Could be a late bloomer who makes small strides year over year.

I can't get mad about missing out on the big fish, assuming they preferred another destination. Those guys have options and overpaying to "win" the bidding often means you lost.

But adding some different skills and overall depth, at both the NHL and AHL levels, is only a good thing.

I would also add that on a team with little margin for error, the Isles need to put the best players on the ice, every night.

I don't care who is a veteran or has seniority, pretty much the entire team has been here in some form for years now.

If a player is hurt, they are dragging down the team and the only way to get better is via surgery or rest, then off to IR/LTIR.

What annoyed me more than anything was watching a washed Greene get starts and minutes that should have gone to a Salo or Hutton.

If Martin hasn't gotten his ankle/whatever lower-body injury fixed yet, and can't get up and down the ice, then same thing and don't expect to play in the NHL until you can play at that level again.

The point of building a deep, balanced team that lacks stars is to use those redundancies.

I don't want to watch players that are hanging on and doing their best not to lose a game, but the guys who are able to help the team win.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Dekeyser or Murray would be my picks.
I'd be good with signing Murray. He's steady enough defensively when healthy, though he brings little else to the table. His inability to stay healthy is a concern, but if he can buy the time needed to make sure Salo is ready for that 6th dman spot, it'd be worthwhile, and who knows, maybe this is the year he actually stays healthy. Dekeyser I think is probably done, but he isn't so old he can't bounce back, and he does bring a lot of experience and leadership with him.

Cholowski could be a decent signing if it's on the cheap -- he hasn't shown much at the NHL level, but still young with some upside. At the least would give more competition for the 3rd pairing LD spot. I also wouldn't rule out a move for Sandin.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
But Kurz' tweet was from early July. If Lou wanted to sign Kadri, when would he have been shopping Bailey if not early July? And we can believe whatever we want, but we have no actual proof Lou was ever even in on Kadri.

Reactions: CupHolders
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad