Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I see that guys here have mentioned Bailey for Dillon. I think this is a great fit. I went into the Jets forum and jets fans seem to be good with this.

To me, he would just solidify our D-corp. Give Salo more time to develop in the North America game.
Then I'd sign Rodrigues. I think he would be a great fit on this team. Another Lou type but he's younger. A gritter, hustle and actually has a good scoring touch.

Reactions: Mike C

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Thank you, at least someone gets it. Beau is not the issue. It's the older guys that we are stuck with.

It's both.

Bailey, Palmieri, and Pageau all had mediocre years at best. Then Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, and Barzal also had mediocre years at best. Beauvillier has yet to put together a full season of great play, he needs to step up so the veterans aren't relied upon as much anymore. Also, Beauvillier isn't a spring chicken anymore and is more of a veteran than he is anything else at this point.

The hope is that some will improve or bounce back, if they all struggle again the team is in trouble and will be forced to ship people out. If half of them have bounce back years the team will be doing very well.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I am optimistic Lane "the hair" Lambert will let the boys play just a teensy bit more run and gun. Our anemic offense I do think is not entirely due to a dearth of offensive talent... Trotz' system definitely was a low scoring one, and with the modern NHL, that almost feels like swimming against the current.

Loved Trotz of course and think he is a great coach. Better than Lambert in all likelihood, but the fresh perspective in the lockeroom (tempered by the influence of Trotz + familiarity with the team) should hopefully give the Islanders a much needed shot in the arm. I want to see more of the Barzal from his rookie season, where he had a fire under his butt and was regularly getting hat tricks.
salary drive baby. barzal should be fine. if not, then time to reassess his value

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
not a starter either!

So unappreciated it crazy. The Brazal line with him and Eberle was great. The reason why that 2nd line for years did so well is because Beau did all the dirty work for Nelson so he can score.

He's a good fast young 2 way player. To hell why people want to move a player like that.

It's both.

Bailey, Palmieri, and Pageau all had mediocre years at best. Then Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, and Barzal also had mediocre years at best. Beauvillier has yet to put together a full season of great play, he needs to step up so the veterans aren't relied upon as much anymore. Also, Beauvillier isn't a spring chicken anymore and is more of a veteran than he is anything else at this point.

The hope is that some will improve or bounce back, if they all struggle again the team is in trouble and will be forced to ship people out. If half of them have bounce back years the team will be doing very well.

I agree with you. I hope that Lambert will open it up a little and give guys like Beau who has the offensive talent to shine. He can't play with older slower guys like Lee and Bailey. He needs to use his speed, needs to be with a Brazal. Our team speed is horrible. I don't even care if at best he's a really good 2 way 3rd line winger. But I have high hopes he more than that.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
So unappreciated it crazy. The Brazal line with him and Eberle was great. The reason why that 2nd line for years did so well is because Beau did all the dirty work for Nelson so he can score.

He's a good fast young 2 way player. To hell why people want to move a player like that.

I agree with you. I hope that Lambert will open it up a little and give guys like Beau who has the offensive talent to shine. He can't play with older slower guys like Lee and Bailey. He needs to use his speed, needs to be with a Brazal. Our team speed is horrible. I don't even care if at best he's a really good 2 way 3rd line winger. But I have high hopes he more than that.
honestly, i don't care if he's traded or not. if he stays, i'll root for him. the reason he would be traded is, as has been noted by others, to make the team better. theoretically, one must give up something to get something. my opinion of him is that he is an underachiever but needs a change of scenery but opinions come a dime a dozen and i'm well aware of that!

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
Beau is arguably the 5th or higher best forward on this team, he is 100 percent traded if it is to make the team better.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
People want to trade Beau to get better not to just trade him.

Also still waiting for someone to say it's his breakout season this year.
1661016165265.png

Reactions: MJF

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
It's both.

i think pageau played mostly to the norm we can expect from him. around 40 pts, solid on D and PK. good on faceoffs, battled along boards and in corners. his hits were WAY up last season.

turnovers were too and that is something i think the whole team needs to clean up lest we have a repeat of last season

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I agree with you. I am not sure why we should be in any hurry to get rid of Beauvillier this off season. To me, he is exactly what the Isles need more of. More speed, skill, and youth in the line up. He only makes 4.15M per year so for me the expectations for him should not be sky high ones. He's not a drag on the cap. To me, he is a player if we trade that will come back to haunt us. For 4.15 per, I would expect 20 goals, 40 pts. Anything more would make that contract look better. Want to see what Beau can do under Lambert then reassess

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Bailey's other issues detract from his TODAY's value. He'll be 33 years old before the season starts, he's coming off a 44 point season and he has 2 years left on a deal with a $5M cap hit (I don't care how much actual cash he's owed).

How much money are you willing to bet on Josh Bailey notching a 50 point season during his remaining 2 years?

That's why Josh Bailey has no value as a stand alone asset.
But Bailey is a top 6 forward on any team. Shirley he is in demand.

If the team performs even back up to their average, they should have a much better season than last year.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
i think pageau played mostly to the norm we can expect from him. around 40 pts, solid on D and PK. good on faceoffs, battled along boards and in corners. his hits were WAY up last season.

turnovers were too and that is something i think the whole team needs to clean up lest we have a repeat of last season

It's not necessarily the production, though that should be a bit higher, it was his play in the first half of the year. He wasn't as physical or productive at anything but he was coming off that wrist/hand surgery.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
People want to trade Beau to get better not to just trade him.

Also still waiting for someone to say it's his breakout season this year.

He is what he is. If he gets 20-25-45, it'll be a good season from him.

And perfectly fine in light of the other things he brings to the table - and if 8 other guys are putting up 45+ points as well...

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
It's not necessarily the production, thought that should be a bit higher, it was his play in the first half of the year. He wasn't as physical or productive at anything but he was coming off that wrist/hand surgery.
Solid point. I've seen you say you play hockey. I played a bit of hoop in another life. When one part hurts or is uncomfortable, it seems our whole bodies hurt sometimes and everything gets affected.

He is what he is. If he gets 20-25-45, it'll be a good season from him.

And perfectly fine in light of the other things he brings to the table - and if 8 other guys are putting up 45+ points as well...
Let's hope buddy!

Reactions: PK Cronin

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I agree with you. I am not sure why we should be in any hurry to get rid of Beauvillier this off season. To me, he is exactly what the Isles need more of. More speed, skill, and youth in the line up. He only makes 4.15M per year so for me the expectations for him should not be sky high ones. He's not a drag on the cap. To me, he is a player if we trade that will come back to haunt us. For 4.15 per, I would expect 20 goals, 40 pts. Anything more would make that contract look better. Want to see what Beau can do under Lambert then reassess
Fair assessment!

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
So Lou is putting his faith in a few first round picks still under 25 elevating to another level under a new coach.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And since then he goes on the 2nd line and Nelson becomes our top scorer. Beau does the dirty work in the corners and getting Nelson set up. that is what's since then.
Lovely.

Beauvillier should be a 25 goal scorer with his speed, but after 6 years he’s become a lesser Michael Grabner. Beau air mails far too many shots to be considered a finisher.

I like the guy. I root for him to succeed. But he’s another guy who has reached shit or get off the pot territory. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over trading him in one of Lou’s “hockey trades.” Sometimes a change of scenery is good for both parties.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Solid point. I've seen you say you play hockey. I played a bit of hoop in another life. When one part hurts or is uncomfortable, it seems our whole bodies hurt sometimes and everything gets affected.

Let's hope buddy!
Absolutely, so if it really was just recovering and getting comfortable again, that's a good thing. As fans I think we're way too quick to jump to conclusions about injuries. If someone isn't playing well but they aren't known to be injured, we assume they're hiding an injury. If someone isn't playing well and they're coming off an injury, must be because they're still recovering. I think that sometimes it's just players ebbing and flowing more than there's any real reason to it and sometimes a player ebbs and just keeps on ebbing.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The team is solid in goal, on D and down the middle. "If we had 1st round picks we could trade for a winger." Or, we could just see what our 1st round wingers can do (Wahlstrom, Bellows, Holmstrom, and throw in Raty and Dufour).

Reactions: Mike C and JKP

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I will say that I would keep that line in tact. It did work well. He seemed to click with Lee and Nelson

My thoughts are if you are ok and satisfied with him putting up say 15-18 goals and around 40-45 pts then ya keep him there. I don't think he's score 20, not on Nelson's line where he's the main scorer who'll probably net you 30+ and if Lee's on that line too, you would think he'd get 30 too. I think Nelson loves having Beau on his wing.

My only question is since most isles fans think he's unperforming. What numbers can he put up being on one of Brazal's wings?

But either way, to me Beau is a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad