Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I am not upset at all for not getting Kadri at that number, he is the one UFA who I KNEW WAS GOING TO BE AN OVERPAY and wanted no part of it.

I am not sure TJ Miller or Patrick Kane is going to be able to be shaken loose now this late in the offseason, so I would just as soon sign our 3 RFA's and add 2 veterans on the cheap for battles; specifically to compete with Bellows for a middle 6 wing spot and to battle Aho/Salo for the 6th and 7th spots on the blue line...

Evan Rodrigues would be the RH shot I would look to add to the forward group to battle with Bellows for the last remaining spot.

If it were me, I would surround Barzal with the two shooters and give him the best chance to succeed. Bailey/Rodrigues are interchangeable; whichever works best and I move Parise to 4th line to give it some more pop...would even consider burying Martin...

Palmieri/Barzal/Wahlstrom
Lee/Nelson/Bailey
Beau/Pageau/Rodrigues
Parise/Cizikas/Clutterbuck

Bellows/Martin

On defense I would sign Ryan Murray.

Pelech/Pulock
Romanov/Dobson
Murray/Mayfield

Salo/Aho

Sorokin/Varlamov

Romanov, 2 years $4.5 million (2.25)
Dobson, 3 years $13.5 million (4.5)
Bellows, 2 years $1.75 million (875K)
Rodrigues, 1 year $1.5 million

Murray, 1 year $800K

Should have 1-2 million to play with after...

Done
I think Romanov is more years and higher average but this is good thought process.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Weekes Shannon and Pagnotta all reporting it was a done deal. They need to be called out. Shit is infuriating.
Did Weekes say something besides the vague “4 transaction” tweet?

The other two guys, yup.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
No one (well at least not me) is saying that the Komarov deal was the "singular" cause for losing Toews, however it's completely disingenuous to say it wasn't at least part of the reason. If Lou had an additional 3M to work with when Toews was due a new contract then he could've kept him. I also agree that Covid pulled out the rug, but handing out bad contracts anytime is not good GMing as at some point it will always restrict your options.
Sorry, I've been away for some time...

But when your critique of Lou is Hickey and Komarov... then it is essentially expecting perfection. Because every GM has their version of Hickey and Komarov. But what is worse is that many in this fanbase will critique those signings while ignoring the circumstances of that offseason. Moreover, there is the hypocrisy of fans that criticize those signings and then complain when prospects of the past like Neidereitter and Bailey were left unsheltered.

Again, my point is that these signings are not some smoking gun condemnation of Lou. Certainly not to the extent you keep making it out to be. These criticisms strike me similar to Leaf fans and how they complain about Lou leaving the Leafs in a terrible state... and then present their one example in Marleau. All while ignoring how that situation could've easily been managed without the self-inflicted damage by the current Leafs management.

As for Toews, I don't know what more you need to see that there were other issues that led to him being moved... COVID flat cap, arbitration, offer-sheet threat to Pulock and Barzal etc.

As for Lou going forward, he clearly made this year a referendum on himself with Trotz firing. Hopefully ownership keeps that in regard while evaluating his supposed final year... that's what a professionally functional organization would do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Islanders4Cups

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
If we assume that Kadri and the Isles had a handshake deal on the premise that Lou could find the cap space, it only goes to show how hard it is move salary in the current climate. No team wanted Bailey without getting paid or shedding salary of their own. Flames just paid a 1st to get rid of Monahan, who is overpaid but only has one year left on his deal!

The good thing now is that the Islanders actually have a little cap space to play with. They can sign a UFA or make a trade. It won't be massive but maybe Lou can take advantage of teams in cap trouble?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If he's cost $8M x 4 and it cost us Beau to get the cap space, I think that's more palatable to many folks here than 7x7 and a first rounder to get space, say. I guess my point was perhaps Lou was fine with the 7x7, which is what many were arguing was the real issue.
I don't think we'll ever know.

Reactions: JKP

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
There we’re like six games on ESPN + .

the direction is to win with the team, we will never know how involved in free agency were were but this is essentially team we expected to be cup contender before last season. Romanov is 22 and fills huge hole in solidifying top four defense, they need a top winger but this team is a playoff contender as is and we will see what shakes loose during season around league. I’m ok rolling dice to start year on maybe Beau having year where he gets to 25-30 goals, or Dobson continuing to progress to 60-70 point season, or Barzal getting back to a point a game player etc. and we will fill holes during year.
I don’t live in NY anymore. ESPN+ is the only way to watch games since they did away with NHL.tv

If they add a way to hide scores and start game from the beginning, then it’ll be better. I don’t get home until roughly the start or middle of the 3rd period. But starting up the streaming service only to immediately know the score of the game, no reason to watch if I already know most of what happened

Romanov doesn’t solve the problem we’ve had for 4 years. Being in the bottom 3rd of the league in scoring. Year after year Lou has not been able to address that.

Preventing goals is great, but you can’t win when you can’t score

You cannot rely on your goalie and your D to be elite every night to give you a chance to win. It’s just unrealistic

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I have client who is Habs fan and loved Romanov. He just said best thing about him is winning teams have a guy like him, he isn’t flashy but skates well, moves puck well and loves to hit. He plays his butt off and said most nights when Habs were bad he was seemingly only guy there that brought it every night and thought he is going to be great compliment to Dobson. We will see I guess.
Lou (or any GM) needed to fill that hole. Lou did it using a 1st round pick in an incredibly weak draft - closer to the 1999 that has hot garbage except for 2 twins. All Lou did was accelerate and guarantee the Isles a cost controlled top 4 NHL defenseman with NHL experience, including playoff experience. That works whether competing, rebuilding, ore retooling.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I'm in the camp of, thankfully we avoided that contract. Dude had a good year last year, but at his age 7 for 7 is absurd. I don't want that contract saddling the team for what I guess would be at least 5 years. I don't think Kadri is the move that takes us to the Cup, otherwise I wouldn't care as much for the length or cost.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, moves come forward. But I am glad we didn't get that. I may be way off and he explodes for the Flames for a couple of years and makes the contract worth it. But I just don't feel like that's the case.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The team is a playoff contender simply because they have the best tandem in the entire league.

But, AGAIN, it's not a Cup contender because the offense isn't strong enough. Same story as always with this management group.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
With Monahan to Habs , expect Mtl to move a veteran like Hoffman.
Don't be surprised if he's offered to Isles but Mtl doesn't take Monahan without another dance partner to
take on a Hoffman or Anderson and I'm sure they would prefer moving Hoffman before Anderson.
Me on the other hand , would prefer Anderson from the games I've watched by a mile

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Weekes Shannon and Pagnotta all reporting it was a done deal. They need to be called out. Shit is infuriating.

Let's not misdirect our frustration with this offseason at reporters as opposed to the GM who isn't good enough.

I'm quite confident if the Isles traded for McDavid, but reporters got it wrong, you wouldn't give a shit.

Reactions: SI90

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Don't be surprised if he's offered to Isles but Mtl doesn't take Monahan without another dance partner to
take on a Hoffman or Anderson and I'm sure they would prefer moving Hoffman before Anderson.
Me on the other hand , would prefer Anderson from the games I've watched by a mile
I want no part of Anderson's contract (dead horse) and I don't want Hoffman's 2 years and 9 million owed either unless they are retaining about 3 million of it (1.5 per) and even then I'd rather not bother...

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Let's not misdirect our frustration with this offseason at reporters as opposed to the GM who isn't good enough.

I'm quite confident if the Isles traded for McDavid, but reporters got it wrong, you wouldn't give a shit.
The people in Edmonton would. Reporters are theoretically supposed to be the liason between the team and the fans. Accuracy should be paramount in that industry. Speculation and false reporting is far too common and builds mistrust all the way around

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I'm in the camp of, thankfully we avoided that contract. Dude had a good year last year, but at his age 7 for 7 is absurd. I don't want that contract saddling the team for what I guess would be at least 5 years. I don't think Kadri is the move that takes us to the Cup, otherwise I wouldn't care as much for the length or cost.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, moves come forward. But I am glad we didn't get that. I may be way off and he explodes for the Flames for a couple of years and makes the contract worth it. But I just don't feel like that's the case.
Well said.

Kadri would’ve made us slightly better arguably for at least 2 years but not so much better that we would be solid Cup contenders. The aftermath in years 3-7 of cap limitations even in an environment of a rising cap would’ve been a nightmare.

Sometimes the best moves are no moves at all. I guess Lou has that down pat. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If Isles do engage Vancouver about JT Miller - don’t be surprised if the ask starts with Raty and ‘23 1st. Miller will be cheaper at the deadline, so move on.

I think this is the team - I think there is a potential to see Isles have a longer deal In place with Dobson - slightly less than Quinn Hughes’ contract.

Romanov with a bridge and Bellows on a similar deal as Aho - 2 year slightly over the league minimum.

Lou grabbing a Vet d man like DeHaan would be where I put my money. No other F’s added - no Milano or Rodrigues. Maybe a F and D PTO to push Bellows and Aho.

Barzal extension unlikely but possible.

All eyes will be on Raty making the team out of camp! Kurz and Gross will be singing his praises at camp.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Relieved - Never wanted Kadri as he's not good enough and that contract will be scary in a few years.

Sad - Looks like another failed offseason where once again Lou is doing to trot out a "not good enough" lineup in 22-23.

Scared - I'd say this increases the chances of Lou dealing our 2023 1st, and given his penchant for overpaying in deals and our need to replenish the farm system, that's a very bad combo.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Lou (or any GM) needed to fill that hole. Lou did it using a 1st round pick in an incredibly weak draft - closer to the 1999 that has hot garbage except for 2 twins. All Lou did was accelerate and guarantee the Isles a cost controlled top 4 NHL defenseman with NHL experience, including playoff experience. That works whether competing, rebuilding, ore retooling.

I'm all behind your point, but this summer's draft was not an "incredibly weak draft".

It was average, in a day and age where there are no more "bad drafts" because overall player development has improved by leaps and bounds over the past 15-20 years - and in a larger amount of countries.

And no-one goes unscouted anymore. There are no more hidden corners of the globe, so to speak. Alone a tool like InStat allows the scouting community to look up just about any and everybody, and see tons of footage, stats, and disected aspects of a prospect's game.

Case in point: Everyone talked about the 2017 draft as "weak" and probably the worst of the decade.

The book ain't even completely written on that first round and this is how it's looking already:
1660851080674.png

1660851104690.png

This past draft will look a lot like the above in 5 year's time.

Scared - I'd say this increases the chances of Lou dealing our 2023 1st, and given his penchant for overpaying in deals and our need to replenish the farm system, that's a very bad combo.

Don't even mention that!!!

Don't jinx us...

Last edited:
Reactions: periferal

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
NYI have nowhere to shelter Hoffman for his PP prowess. Also, there's the issue of burying the hatchet with his former teammate, Pageau.

I don't like Anderson at all at that number.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The best move at this point is just to go to battle with the team we have right now.

They simply don't have the trade assets to make a desperation August trade.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
If some of the players next year actually reach ufa the forwards ufa pool is decent. That is if they actually reach ufa. I believe we will go in with mostly the same team and hope Wahlstrom and Bellows step it up and the rest of the forwards played like the second part of the season.

If we are out of the playoffs I hope to get rid of any dead weight cap space we have so we can sign our players and hopefully a good ufa.

Reactions: Mike C

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The best move at this point is just to go to battle with the team we have right now.

They simply don't have the trade assets to make a desperation August trade.

The "team we have right now" isn't good enough to win a Cup (and it's minus a hall of fame coach), so what's the point of keeping things as is?

I want Lou to go all in or start a rebuild. Enough of this treading water each offseason, so I totally disagree the "best move at this point" is to just keep things as they are.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Currently 14 teams are over the cap. Another 3 with less than $1M in cap space.

There has to be more coming.

Reactions: JKP

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If anything I'm trying to reverse-jinx.

(but I'm legit scared)

As am I.

As you recently posted, Lou only moves actual players for cap-related purposes. He only adds actual players by dishing off futures.

He hasn't made a lateral trade yet. Not one.

He also hasn't assessed that someone or some prospect just may not fit right now, so he moves that guy to another organization for futures in return.

And when the heck has he added a college, major juniors, or European free agent? He grabbed Jobst, Carpenter, and Hutton in his first spring with the team and it's been crickets since. Any additions are just marginal and sign on AHL deals.

His pattern has been clear as day. Every subtraction is forced by financials. Every addition is paid for with 1sts and 2nds.

It's a reality that just can't be denied or overlooked.

Currently 14 teams are over the cap. Another 3 with less than $1M in cap space.

There has to be more coming.

I know some will hate to hear this, but there are gonna be a few good players on waivers when camps conclude.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad