Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
That contract wouldn't make sense for the Islanders tbh & dumping Baily, Beauvillier etc just to fit him in doesn't necessarily make them better. It works for Calgary since they want to win now.

Lou needs to wake up to sign Romanov & Dobson though

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
NYI have nowhere to shelter Hoffman for his PP prowess. Also, there's the issue of burying the hatchet with his former teammate, Pageau.

I don't like Anderson at all at that number.
Not suggesting I want either and hope we are not in on any move Montreal will need to make to shed salary.
I also hope Lou hasn't hung his hat on this group!
The team is improved with the addition of Romanov but the lack of depth surrounding the team is too great
to be considered cup hopefuls and now that Barry has gone, what made this team competitive "A system"
that never existed prior to his arrival could well be as well exposing the average talent we have

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Let's not misdirect our frustration with this offseason at reporters as opposed to the GM who isn't good enough.

I'm quite confident if the Isles traded for McDavid, but reporters got it wrong, you wouldn't give a shit.
Sorry Perif, but if I got that stuff wrong on FLN, I should be called out too. Any journalism, even social media, has a level of accuracy that is not negotiable.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I know some will hate to hear this, but there are gonna be a few good players on waivers when camps conclude.
You’re talking about dumpster diving. Such a second class franchise activity lol.

But yeah, the fact is those teams are gonna have to get cap compliant. We’ll see who we can get.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
Wow what a bummer. I must of missed the islanders Stanly cup appearances with this group. If Lou had been here during the dynasty years the only way he gets butch goring here is to trade 1st rounders. Not important players. Gillies tonelli and trottier would of stayed on the team till they retired. 7 million for Kadri was always going to be what it took to get him. The Isles seriously needed some new blood on this team. Looks like it's gona be the same team for 2 more full seasons till these contracts run out if Lou manages not to keep extending everyone.

• Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Sorry Perif, but if I got that stuff wrong on FLN, I should be called out too. Any journalism, even social media, has a level of accuracy that is not negotiable.
Not any more. It’s all about being first 100% of the time, even if you’re right only 80% of the time. :(

Reactions: Mike C

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'm all behind your point, but this summer's draft was not an "incredibly weak draft".

It was average, in a day and age where there are no more "bad drafts" because overall player development has improved by leaps and bounds over the past 15-20 years - and in a larger amount of countries.

And no-one goes unscouted anymore. There are no more hidden corners of the globe, so to speak. Alone a tool like InStat allows the scouting community to look up just about any and everybody, and see tons of footage, stats, and disected aspects of a prospect's game.

Case in point: Everyone talked about the 2017 draft as "weak" and probably the worst of the decade.

The book ain't even completely written on that first round and this is how it's looking already:
View attachment 577940
View attachment 577941

This past draft will look a lot like the above in 5 year's time.

Don't even mention that!!!

Don't jinx us...
Sure, Vegas had three 1st rounders and hit on one. Two of their picks are/were duds. They flipped Suzuki in an attempt to win. I mean PHI at #2 got Dave Chyzowski'd and are still a hot mess in their draft/retool/whatever that mess is.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
That contract wouldn't make sense for the Islanders tbh & dumping Baily, Beauvillier etc just to fit him in doesn't necessarily make them better. It works for Calgary since they want to win now.

Uhhh, well, that's the phase we're in now too.

You don't trade your first rounders 3 straight years if you're not in that phase - or approaching things as such.

Lou needs to wake up to sign Romanov & Dobson though

They're already signed. Bellows too.

Lou doesn't announce these things until it suits him. He'd rather the other GMs don't know exactly how much these guys are getting at this point.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
LOL No GM wanted Bailey or Beauvillier without sending us a Cap problem so we could clear space for Shazaam Kadri? Or was it just Nobody wanted either one of those two?

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
Currently 14 teams are over the cap. Another 3 with less than $1M in cap space.

There has to be more coming.
This gets said every year after we have an underwhelming offseason. The last time the Islanders made big moves to take advantage of other teams cap problems was when Garth was at the helm. I'll take a look at the roster we have currently, sigh and get ready for the season.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
They're already signed. Bellows too.

Lou doesn't announce these things until it suits him. He'd rather the other GMs don't know exactly how much these guys are getting at this point.
There may be some value in the opposition not knowing how much cap space you have to play with. That said, you’d think the agent might let a GM know what they signed for if pushed. So who knows how much value there is to it…

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Wow what a bummer. I must of missed the islanders Stanly cup appearances with this group. If Lou had been here during the dynasty years the only way he gets butch goring here is to trade 1st rounders. Not important players. Gillies tonelli and trottier would of stayed on the team till they retired. 7 million for Kadri was always going to be what it took to get him. The Isles seriously needed some new blood on this team. Looks like it's gona be the same team for 2 more full seasons till these contracts run out if Lou manages not to keep extending everyone.
So, Isles fans are ok with this:
- Sign and overpay expensive UFA until he's 39yrs old
- To get cap compliant, trade a former 1st round 6OA and a 1st rounder bottom-six player to accommodate this UFA.

LMAO at Isles fans that 'go all in' on this move.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Yeah, I've given Lou a pass until October. He has had a real inability at adding talent to this forward group. Glaring inability since day 1. Was not what I expected from him when he signed on.

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
So, Isles fans are ok with this:
- Sign and overpay expensive UFA until he's 39yrs old
- To get cap compliant, trade a former 1st round 6OA and a 1st rounder bottom-six player to accommodate this UFA.

LMAO at Isles fans that 'go all in' on this move.
Stanley cup teams have turnover. Isles just gona keep the same team because they paid everyone too much or gave them no trade clauses. So anyone wanting Lou replaced in a year can forget about it since the team can't make any player changes anyway.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Screw the rest of the NHL... Play the Kids and let's see what we got.... Tired of being snubbed....
Was it a snub? Or was it Lou being unable to move Josh Bailey and he backed out of the Kadri Sweepstakes?

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Was it a snub? Or was it Lou being unable to move Josh Bailey and he backed out of the Kadri Sweepstakes?

We have been snubbed so many times going all the way back to Captain Kirk Muller.... The $hit never ever ends.... I don't need to list all of them, that would take an entire separate Thread lol!!!

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Stanley cup teams have turnover. Isles just gona keep the same team because they paid everyone too much or gave them no trade clauses. So anyone wanting Lou replaced in a year can forget about it since the team can't make any player changes anyway.

Islanders fans will respond to you when Lou decides it’s time to do so

• Haha
Reactions: Mike C

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
You guys know I wanted Kadri and I am not happy. This is looking like yet another season where he gets nothing. If nothing additional is done he has got to be on the hot seat at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad