Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I wish I could get the last 6 weeks back having never cared about what the Isles might be doing in the offseason.

I should’ve known based on Lou’s inaction at this past season’s TDL.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time - Maya Angelou
(Bet that’s the first time she’s been quoted on this board).

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
The middle ground is literally the worst place to be. Aside from the Blues who had the best goalie performance of the past 20 years, every other team that won a Cup sucked to the point of a few top picks before they won the Cup.

Most every time "middling teams" like Columbus, Winnipeg, etc never get close to a Cup.
Best goalie performance in 20 years? Bennington had a .914 sv%. That’s average. Blues are a good team that deserved their cup win. Not every cup winner is Colorado or Tampa.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Lou really needed to push hard for either Debrincat or Fiala. It would’ve been difficult considering our lack of cap space, but a core of Barzal, Debrincat/Fiala, Pelech, Pulock, Dobson, and Sorokin would have a cup window for the next five years at least.

Instead, we’re still debating whether or not this team should rebuild.

Would've rather traded the last 2 1sts for an extended Tarasenko than Palmieri and Romanov.

We should be aiming for true difference-makers. Instead Lou seems stuck on overpaying for "just ok."

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Imagine if Lou didn't trade for Pageau, Palmieri, and Romanov and instead traded those 2 or 3 of those 1st rounders for one player.
And what player has been traded since that time for equivalent value? Color me curious.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
6A8C8935-D7DA-479A-8406-7947B9860727.jpeg

For those of you wondering what Lou has been doing this summer, the paparazzi in the Hamptons just snapped this pic of him and the wife.

Looks like Lou has grown a beard, hit the gym and if you look carefully I think he has a new tattoo of the UBS arena.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Would've rather traded the last 2 1sts for an extended Tarasenko than Palmieri and Romanov.

We should be aiming for true difference-makers. Instead Lou seems stuck on overpaying for "just ok."
And...in this fantasy...Tarasenko coming off his injury exercises his NTC and says 'no, thank you' because the Isles offense is anemic (remember that offensive suffocating Stanley Cup winning coach) and that is going to impact my next contract as UFA. Maybe STL makes the deal, but the player has no interest.

Fantasyland on team building always works.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
Lou really needed to push hard for either Debrincat or Fiala. It would’ve been difficult considering our lack of cap space, but a core of Barzal, Debrincat/Fiala, Pelech, Pulock, Dobson, and Sorokin would have a cup window for the next five years at least.

Instead, we’re still debating whether or not this team should rebuild.
Purely speculative on my part based on Lou's history, but those are not "Lou" players. Lou prefers the old school type of players like Pageau, Palmieri, Greene, Chara, Parise, etc. He prefers guys that play a two way game. It doesn't always matter if they play it well, as long as they are known to play "two way."

Once upon a time he acquired Kovalchuk for a different organization. Since then, his track record has been trading for and acquiring players on the wrong side of the aging curve. Fiala and Debrincat are new age guys. Lou has no time for guys like that.

Lou has been instrumental at bringing the right type of professionalism to the organization. Him and Trotz both did. However, Lou's lack of self awareness and inability to grow with the new NHL is staggering. Overpayment after overpayment for players who don't move the needle while not saving enough cap space for difference makers will be the undoing. The window will close faster than many of us think because Lou does not have the creativity to resurrect what has become an old, and slow team.

The worst thing that happened this offseason was not signing JG. The best thing to happen this offseason was not signing Kadri. There is still time to be creative, but that's not Lou's strong suit.

I'd like nothing more than to be wrong.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Purely speculative on my part based on Lou's history, but those are not "Lou" players. Lou prefers the old school type of players like Pageau, Palmieri, Greene, Chara, Parise, etc. He prefers guys that play a two way game. It doesn't always matter if they play it well, as long as they are known to play "two way."

Once upon a time he acquired Kovalchuk for a different organization. Since then, his track record has been trading for and acquiring players on the wrong side of the aging curve. Fiala and Debrincat are new age guys. Lou has no time for guys like that.

Lou has been instrumental at bringing the right type of professionalism to the organization. Him and Trotz both did. However, Lou's lack of self awareness and inability to grow with the new NHL is staggering. Overpayment after overpayment for players who don't move the needle while not saving enough cap space for difference makers will be the undoing. The window will close faster than many of us think because Lou does not have the creativity to resurrect what has become an old, and slow team.

The worst thing that happened this offseason was not signing JG. The best thing to happen this offseason was not signing Kadri. There is still time to be creative, but that's not Lou's strong suit.

I'd like nothing more than to be wrong.
The Isles avg age on D is less than that of the Cup finalists. REBUILD!

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Not any more. It’s all about being first 100% of the time, even if you’re right only 80% of the time. :(
Sad but true!

The whole flavor of journalism has changed.

I remember one time when I was in the business, I sent an audio clip of Steve Kemp to a local station insuating it was from that night's Yankee game when in fact it was a generic cut from week's prior.

Sure enough, the sports anchor called me and asked point blank " was that Kemp from tonight?"

When I told him our guy screwed up and we didn't have anything from him today, even though Kemp was the "star of the game",I figured I'd send something what I thought was suitable he screamed into the phone "DON'T EVER F**K WITH JOURNALISM YOU HEAR ME?"

The honor and integrity this man had AND that he expected was a lesson learned for me. Sadly journalists today aren't all like that!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I have no problem calling out anyone who's incorrect, but that's really not the issue here. I honestly think many here are upset/disappointed that Lou is seemingly doing basically nothing for another offseason and taking that disappointment out on reporters (who are wrong), but not the real issue.

So call out any reporter you want. Totally agree if they don't get the job done. I'm just wondering when all the, "Let's wait and see how the offseason plays out," Lou stans will also start calling Lou out for not getting the job done.
Probably when training camp starts

My gut feeling is that Lou and Lane have decided this is a transition year

Over the season work in new kids and trade some vets for picks as the season goes on among the forwards

It’s the only logical reason why BT was let go, because he didn’t want to adjust his philosophy and sacrifice the season potentially

I think Lou wants Wahlstrom playing through the mistakes, Bellows full time and Salo too, which is why he hasn’t pursued a defender aggressively

Lane has likely been told not to worry if the team struggles while this transition goes on

I just can’t see another reason after they didn’t sign Gaudreau. This is Plan B and I suspect it’s always been Plan B.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Islanders are better overall still having Varlamov, Bailey, and Beau instead of Kadri at 7x7. That's not a player and contract worth breaking up your team.

The idiots on the main board must be soooo disappointed the Isles and Lou didn't give out this albatross contract, but since it was Calgary... great deal! Yeah, go back to your troughs you schmucks. I can't stop chuckling over the thought.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Really need to back up to this one, because I think it’s the moment everyone should have stopped trusting this guy (if they did in the first place). In a league where several teams needed goaltending help and Matt Murray ended up with a playoff team, Varlamov didn’t get traded. For some reason people continued thinking they could trade him, despite the team making every indication that they didn’t plan on doing that, and here we are now. He’s still here, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they extend him at backup $$$.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I was fed up with the moron-a-thon over Kadri a while ago. Now I am thrilled to virtually tea bag all of these idiots who were talking out of their asses.
Seems to be a trend.

I am doing a good job of staying off other boards for the most part. I pile up points when I get too carried away. My last 5 come off on Aug 27 and for the 1st time in many months I'll be point free!

Sad accomplishment since I only joined in late Jan of this year!

Hope the health is better since the last time we chatted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad