Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
Let’s be more accurate and precise- the Toews trade was a directly related to the impact of Covid - the cap was going up to 84.5- 88 - Pageau was acquired and then Covid happened.

IMO, they tried to move Leddy and with 6.5 and 7.5 of actual cash owed no one was taking that contract- there was pressure to resign Barzal. Toews elected arbitration and if awarded 5 (I think this number is correct) the Isles would have to accept or if not accept lose the player.
Toews electing arbitration is what sunk him. I don't think Lou was going to take that risk along with Pulock.

Pulock's arbitration was only a few weeks after the Toews's trade and he was awarded 2x5M.

Reactions: leeroggy

crasherino

May 9, 2013
We traded Toews after a 28 point season. At the time he had played all of 116 games at the NHL level. As much as we saw the offensive potential, he was not very good in the defensive zone. He was also a RFA who applied for arbitration. With the flat cap, two other RFAs to sign and the expansion draft coming in another year, Lou decided to move him and go with Greene.

I did not have a problem with them moving him at the time for the above reasons. We knew we would only be able to protect 3 defensemen in the expansion draft and we were also up against the cap.
At the end of the day, we traded for - and signed - JGP instead of re-signing Toews. We had a certain amount of cap room that was effectively exhausted by signing JGP to that deal. Once we hit the offseason it became apparent that we couldn't sign him. Which kinda sucks because he signed for $4m/yr - hardly a kings ransom.

I like JGP and all and he definitely helped us advance to the semis that year but overall, I don't think I'd take that swap, considering the players, picks and costs involved.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
With Kadri and LI native Sonny Milano curiously still unsigned, I'm wondering if Lou is going to plan on moving BOTH Bailey and Beauvillier in order to bring in Milano and Kadri.

If Kadri is indeed coming, it's been clear that a move to shed out salary is needed. Moving out someone like Bailey would seem to do the trick in order to sign Romanov, Dobson, and bring in Kadri. But thinking longer term and with Barzal up for a new deal next summer, it may pay dividends to move both Bailey and Beauvillier this off-season in order to further save on the cap for the foreseeable future.

The merits of bringing Kadri in have been discussed to death, and at the end of the day he would be an upgrade on Bailey and is a year younger.

The logic I have for shipping out Beau as well and signing Milano as his replacement would mean that Milano would come in as a cheaper almost clone of Beauvillier, freeing up cap for the future. Milano has a career statline of being a .41 P/PG player this far. Beauvillier isn't all that better at .46 P/PG. Beau is 25 turning 26 next June. Milano just turned 26 this past May, so the age gap is fairly negligible here.

Beau's gonna want a bigger deal than the $4.15 he's making in the final year of this contract. Milano just came off a $1.7 million AAV and will most certainly command less than Beau's $4.15, and most certainly cheaper than Beau's next contract.

Idk if I was Lou and I truly had my eye on the present (Kadri) and an eye towards the future (Barzal's new deal) like he always preaches, this bit of maneuvering may be the way to go.

Reactions: Mike C

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
You can’t give an 8 year deal to a UFA. Max is 7. 8 year deals can only be given in an extension to players whose rights the team owns
Good point.

Kadri would only be 39 then if he were to complete a 7 year deal.

Well, I guess when Lou is 85 he can always trade the last year of this contract for the Isles first round pick the following year. All good.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Good point.

Well, I guess when Lou is 85 he can always trade the last year of this contract for the Isles first round pick the following year. All good.
I hope it isn’t a 7 year deal because that contract will be an anchor after year 4 IMO. Hoping it is a 4 or 5 year deal.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'd be more inclined to trade Beauvillier because I think he holds more value around the league than Bailey, but also because I think his services could be replaced for cheaper whether it's externally (Milano, Kessel/Rodrigues?) or internally (Holmstrom or Raty).

Also, Beauvillier is not a prospect anymore, he's played six full seasons and is 25, he's never hit 40+ points in a season. At least Bailey has been a consistent 45-50 point scorer with a few better seasons sprinkled in.

As much as I love Beauvillier, he's trending towards Ryan Strome-esque 'filler' territory for me. Bailey has his warts, but he's still a useful top nine forward. I can't really say the same about the former right now.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
With Kadri and LI native Sonny Milano curiously still unsigned, I'm wondering if Lou is going to plan on moving BOTH Bailey and Beauvillier in order to bring in Milano and Kadri.

If Kadri is indeed coming, it's been clear that a move to shed out salary is needed. Moving out someone like Bailey would seem to do the trick in order to sign Romanov, Dobson, and bring in Kadri. But thinking longer term and with Barzal up for a new deal next summer, it may pay dividends to move both Bailey and Beauvillier this off-season in order to further save on the cap for the foreseeable future.

The merits of bringing Kadri in have been discussed to death, and at the end of the day he would be an upgrade on Bailey and is a year younger.

The logic I have for shipping out Beau as well and signing Milano as his replacement would mean that Milano would come in as a cheaper almost clone of Beauvillier, freeing up cap for the future. Milano has a career statline of being a .41 P/PG player this far. Beauvillier isn't all that better at .46 P/PG. Beau is 25 turning 26 next June. Milano just turned 26 this past May, so the age gap is fairly negligible here.

Beau's gonna want a bigger deal than the $4.15 he's making in the final year of this contract. Milano just came off a $1.7 million AAV and will most certainly command less than Beau's $4.15, and most certainly cheaper than Beau's next contract.

Idk if I was Lou and I truly had my eye on the present (Kadri) and an eye towards the future (Barzal's new deal) like he always preaches, this bit of maneuvering may be the way to go.
It all depends on what Lou has come to terms with regarding Romanov and Dobson.

Assuming he gets all three of them (including Bellows) signed for 7.4 million (Alex 2.25, Noah 4.3, Bellows .85) for instance; then the Islanders would be on the hook for 77.6 million and 21 players ) with Panik buried.

Assuming we are able to trade just Bailey and NOT have any retention, then we would have 9.89 million in cap space left, more than enough hopefully to do what business we need to do after signing Kadri (assuming he comes in at 7 million or less).

No need to trade Beau unless it is getting us an upgrade. You could likely get Milano and a cheap veteran LD with the close to 3 million in space if you wanted to.....

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I'd be more inclined to trade Beauvillier because I think he holds more value around the league than Bailey, but also because I think his services could be replaced for cheaper whether it's externally (Milano, Kessel/Rodrigues?) or internally (Holmstrom or Raty).

Also, Beauvillier is not a prospect anymore, he's played six full seasons and is 25, he's never hit 40+ points in a season. At least Bailey has been a consistent 45-50 point scorer with a few better seasons sprinkled in.

As much as I love Beauvillier, he's trending towards Ryan Strome-esque 'filler' territory for me. Bailey has his warts, but he's still a useful top nine forward. I can't really say the same about the former right now.
I disagree. This team is already lacking speed and Beau is one of the few forwards who has some. I would rather move Josh all things being considered, even if now it is likely to get nothing meaningful back.

No, I am hoping Lambert changes things up a little to get all of our under 25's some more "offensive chances" which includes the youngsters (Ollie, Kieffer maybe, Raty and others down the road) as well as our two 25 year old buddies in Matty and AB

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
At the end of the day, we traded for - and signed - JGP instead of re-signing Toews. We had a certain amount of cap room that was effectively exhausted by signing JGP to that deal. Once we hit the offseason it became apparent that we couldn't sign him. Which kinda sucks because he signed for $4m/yr - hardly a kings ransom.

I like JGP and all and he definitely helped us advance to the semis that year but overall, I don't think I'd take that swap, considering the players, picks and costs involved.
The Isles traded for JGP and he signed his extension on Feb 24, 2020. A couple of weeks later, I vividly recall being at a soccer tournament in Virginia with my son the weekend of March 6-8, 2020, and Covid was a story but still not a huge deal. The following week, I believe March 12th or so, soccer and the schools (and eventually everything else) shut down. It happened fast. And then the NHL followed and eventually the cap increase was cancelled. Toews was traded to COL on Oct 12, 2020. You can't just slough off Covid like it wasn't important. The timeline was JGP - Covid - cap decrease - Toews trade.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

As much as I'd love to sign Milano, I can't imagine Lou going after him. Just a gut feeling.

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
I disagree. This team is already lacking speed and Beau is one of the few forwards who has some. I would rather move Josh all things being considered, even if now it is likely to get nothing meaningful back.

No, I am hoping Lambert changes things up a little to get all of our under 25's some more "offensive chances" which includes the youngsters (Ollie, Kieffer maybe, Raty and others down the road) as well as our two 25 year old buddies in Matty and AB
Agreed. Tito also ups his game in the playoffs.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Good point.

The current CBA expires the summer of 2026. So there may be a buyout opportunity after 4 years of whatever contract Kadri were to sign. Also, if they front load actual payment to the extent allowed, the last couple of years of Kadri's contract he could be owed less actual $$ than his cap hit. Assuming nothing unusual that brings back a flat cap, the cap will start increasing every year (ceiling and floor) and his contract should be able to be moved.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Hey fellas: It's easy to grin / When your ship comes in / And you've got the stock market beat. / But the man worthwhile, / Is the man who can smile, / When his shorts are too tight in the seat. LGI!
And we need to put this on REPEAT

Reactions: mm11

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
It all depends on what Lou has come to terms with regarding Romanov and Dobson.

Assuming he gets all three of them (including Bellows) signed for 7.4 million (Alex 2.25, Noah 4.3, Bellows .85) for instance; then the Islanders would be on the hook for 77.6 million and 21 players ) with Panik buried.

Assuming we are able to trade just Bailey and NOT have any retention, then we would have 9.89 million in cap space left, more than enough hopefully to do what business we need to do after signing Kadri (assuming he comes in at 7 million or less).

No need to trade Beau unless it is getting us an upgrade. You could likely get Milano and a cheap veteran LD with the close to 3 million in space if you wanted to.....
Signing Dobson to a bridge deal is going to be a mistake. We gotta lock that guy up.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
It really comes down to cap space. NYI will have more cap to lock up Dobson long term in a few years when contracts come off the books.
Or ....there will be more cap casualties than most ppl here are anticipating.

Imo if Pageau needs to be dealt in order to lock up Dobson long term, then bye bye Pageau!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad