Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Overpaying anybody is bad. This implies they are not worth the cap hit. If Kadri gets 60-70 points while playing his usual way, 7 mil is not an overpayment. You are seeing the fruits of overpaying guys that are fine, but don't move the needle (Bailey, Palmieri, Pageau). That's 15 mil for three guys that are nice to have, but don't move the needle. Having players like this, prevent you from getting a needle mover in a cap world.

Kadri's aging curve is very strange. There aren't many examples of players like him. Guys that play a hard game with skill don't typically break out at age 31. This makes it very risky.

If this is the route the Isles are going, I'd try to move Pageau. That contract is already starting to look bad. After next season, it'll probably be unmovable (it may already be). However, he is a center who is grossly overrated. Perhaps there's some value to be had.

Moving Bailey and Pageau, and signing Kadri and maybe a Milano makes this team significantly better in the short and long term. I don't see this team being a cup contender with just swapping Kadri for Bailey in the next two seasons. This team after the next 2 years becomes so old, that it's hard to see them competing.

None of the guys you listed are overpaid.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Overpaying anybody is bad. This implies they are not worth the cap hit. If Kadri gets 60-70 points while playing his usual way, 7 mil is not an overpayment. You are seeing the fruits of overpaying guys that are fine, but don't move the needle (Bailey, Palmieri, Pageau). That's 15 mil for three guys that are nice to have, but don't move the needle. Having players like this, prevent you from getting a needle mover in a cap world.

Kadri's aging curve is very strange. There aren't many examples of players like him. Guys that play a hard game with skill don't typically break out at age 31. This makes it very risky.

If this is the route the Isles are going, I'd try to move Pageau. That contract is already starting to look bad. After next season, it'll probably be unmovable (it may already be). However, he is a center who is grossly overrated. Perhaps there's some value to be had.

Moving Bailey and Pageau, and signing Kadri and maybe a Milano makes this team significantly better in the short and long term. I don't see this team being a cup contender with just swapping Kadri for Bailey in the next two seasons. This team after the next 2 years becomes so old, that it's hard to see them competing.

One thing everyone seems to be overlooking about age is that the previous two seasons were shortened and had far less travel to wear and tear the athlete's body. It's almost knocked one year of play off.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
None of the guys you listed are overpaid.

And I would also add that while some of the NHL forwards are a little older and in the middle-to-backend of their NHL careers, Sorokin in goal, the bulk of the defense, Barzal, Beau, Wahlstrom, Bellows and Ross are all young and/or should be entering their prime.

Add in a group of prospects that seem to be close to the NHL in Raty, Holmstrom, Dufour and maybe even Durandeau (as a potential fourth liner/cheap depth), who should all be options over the next few seasons.

I am also interested to see how Eetu Liukas does next year in Liiga.

That is a franchise goalie, like 6-8 defensemen (depending on how prospects like Bolduc and Odelius develop) and 10 forwards of varying skills and talent in the system.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
I don't ask for much....all I want is other teams' UFAs for below-market price and term, our own players for below-market extensions, productive young players for cheap (but not for picks), and when our own players turn toward 30, they better be underpaid otherwise SEND ME ALL THE DRAFT PICKS.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I don't ask for much....all I want is other teams' UFAs for below-market price and term, our own players for below-market extensions, productive young players for cheap (but not for picks), and when our own players turn toward 30, they better be underpaid otherwise SEND ME ALL THE DRAFT PICKS.

And I want to be able to buy game tickets on Stub Hub for under $10 BUT be able to sell mine for $100+.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
All I want is for my limited edition Sho-Nuff45 alternate jersey . . . make it so Lou!

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

Even if he got 70 Points i think due to his Age 7m is to high. Also historically he is not a 70 point player

AlexanderSemin21

Jun 2, 2022
Medellín, Colombia
So it looks like we're signing Kadri. I remember when Lee was supossed to go to Colorado as a UFA and then Lou overpayed him when he found out that Panarin was heading to the Rangers, i think this is a similar situation overpaying a guy only to fix the initial mess.

I don't thin Kadri is worth the risk. He is a veteran player coming of a career best performance sharing ice time with guys like Mackinnon or Makar. Plus we don't need a center (Barzal-Nelson-JPG-Cizikas). He is a good player but this does not make any sense to be honest.

Reactions: LBloor

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Half the board has no understanding of contracts around the league and are still viewing deals through the same lens as they were 8 years ago.

The issue with the Islanders roster isn't players who are overpaid, it's issue is redundancy in the players they have paid.
there are a few issues with the roster. I kind of agree that most of our guys are not overpaid however

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
So it looks like we're signing Kadri. I remember when Lee was supossed to go to Colorado as a UFA and then Lou overpayed him when he found out that Panarin was heading to the Rangers, i think this is a similar situation overpaying a guy only to fix the initial mess.

I don't thin Kadri is worth the risk. He is a veteran player coming of a career best performance sharing ice time with guys like Mackinnon or Makar. Plus we don't need a center (Barzal-Nelson-JPG-Cizikas). He is a good player but this does not make any sense to be honest.
Hes a 30G 50+Pt player and a captain. He isnt overpaid either.

LBloor

Jul 21, 2021

Agreed.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Half the board has no understanding of contracts around the league and are still viewing deals through the same lens as they were 8 years ago.

The issue with the Islanders roster isn't players who are overpaid, it's issue is redundancy in the players they have paid.
But…but Pageau only scored 40 points.

Reactions: PK Cronin and Seph
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad