Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Overpaying for the right players is fine. Kadri is the right player. You don't see Tampa fans complaining about being pressed to the cap for years right?
I’d take almost anyone from tampa over kadri. Plus, when you have sustained success it’s easier to handout the money to the players who deserve it. Kadri doesn’t deserve a big payday.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
More fuel to the speculation fire, Buccigross has now retweeted the Kadri news. Doesn’t seem like something he would retweet if it didn’t have legs

Attachments

• D6B20CA1-E177-4B8A-9F3A-810DD97DCDC6.jpeg
    D6B20CA1-E177-4B8A-9F3A-810DD97DCDC6.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: xECK29x

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If we listened to all the 'he's overpaid' stuff here we'd be back to Wang as owner, playing in the barn, utilizing gimmicks to get to the cap floor.

TOO MUCH WHINING - What was the line about 'casting the first stone'?

Lou Lamoriello was named the Islanders President of Hockey Operations on May 22, 2018. He assumed the role of General Manager on June 5, 2018. The Islanders earned 103 points during Lamoriello's first season at the helm, with a 48-27-7 record.

A three-time Stanley Cup Champion as a General Manager and Hockey Hall Of Fame inductee, Lamoriello joined the Islanders after three seasons as General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Toronto posted 100-point seasons and qualified for the playoffs in each of Lamoriello's final two seasons with the club. The Maple Leafs compiled an overall regular-season record of 118-95-33 and a 5-8 playoff record during Lamoriello's tenure.

Lamoriello joined the New Jersey Devils as President and General Manager in 1987. Throughout his tenure in New Jersey, the Devils went to the Stanley Cup Playoffs 21 times, posted 13, 100-point seasons, won nine division titles, went to the Stanley Cup Final five times and won the Stanley Cup in 1995, 2000 and 2003. The Devils also earned 13 consecutive post-season berths from 1997-2010.

Over the course of Lamoriello's tenure in New Jersey, the Devils posted a regular season record of 1,093-759-179-109 and a playoff record of 136-116. In 1995, New Jersey's American Hockey League affiliate, the Albany Devils, won the Calder Cup, marking the third time an NHL organization and their AHL franchise won both championships in the same season.

Lamoriello has compiled a lifetime regular-season record of 1,259-881-179-149 (W-LT-OT) and a lifetime Stanley Cup Playoffs record of 141-124. Lamoriello served as the Devils' Head Coach for 50 regular season games in 2005-06 (32-14-4) and the final three regular season games in 2006-07. The Devils qualified for the playoffs and reached the Eastern Conference Final in both seasons.

In 2009, Lamoriello received the highest honor there is in the sport of hockey as he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. In addition to his responsibilities with the Devils, Lamoriello was named vicechairman and CEO of the National Basketball Association's New Jersey Nets after the hockey team was purchased by YankeeNets. Following back-to-back appearances in the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003, Lamoriello relinquished his posts with the Nets when YankeeNets sold the basketball franchise to an independent owner in 2004.

Internationally, Lamoriello served as the General Manager for Team USA at the World Cup of Hockey in 1996. Team USA won the inaugural tournament championship, defeating Team Canada in a best-of-three final. He also served as General Manager for Team USA at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan. The Johnston, RI native was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012 and received the Lester Patrick Trophy in 1992 in recognition of his service to hockey in the United States.

Prior to his time in the NHL, Lamoriello spent two decades at Providence College, including 15 seasons as Head Coach. During his time behind the bench, the Friars posted a 248-179-13 record, qualified for 12 consecutive post-season tournament berths and had more players drafted into the NHL after entering college than any other college team during Lamoriello's last five years. He also served as the College's Athletic Director. Lamoriello was one of five founders of Hockey East Association and served as commissioner of the league from 1983-87. Since 1989, the winner of the Hockey East tournament has been awarded the Lamoriello Trophy. Lamoriello was inducted into the Providence College Athletic Hall of Fame in 1982.

As an athlete, he captained both the hockey and baseball teams at Providence. He later played baseball, coached and managed teams in the Cape Cod Baseball League and the Quebec Provincial League.

Lamoriello's numerous accolades include inductions into the Cape Cod Baseball League Hall of Fame in 2009, the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame in 2012, the Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame in 2004, the LaSalle Academy Hall of Fame in 2004, the Sports Hall of Fame of New Jersey in 2002 and he was named the recipient of Unico National's Vincent T. Lombardi Trophy in 2000 for professional sports achievement. He has also served on the board of directors of the Yogi Berra Museum since 2006 and has been a member of the board of Yankee Global Enterprises since 2004.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
If we listened to all the 'he's overpaid' stuff here we'd be back to Wang as owner, playing in the barn, utilizing gimmicks to get to the cap floor.

TOO MUCH WHINING - What was the line about 'casting the first stone'?

Lou Lamoriello was named the Islanders President of Hockey Operations on May 22, 2018. He assumed the role of General Manager on June 5, 2018. The Islanders earned 103 points during Lamoriello's first season at the helm, with a 48-27-7 record.

A three-time Stanley Cup Champion as a General Manager and Hockey Hall Of Fame inductee, Lamoriello joined the Islanders after three seasons as General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Toronto posted 100-point seasons and qualified for the playoffs in each of Lamoriello's final two seasons with the club. The Maple Leafs compiled an overall regular-season record of 118-95-33 and a 5-8 playoff record during Lamoriello's tenure.

Lamoriello joined the New Jersey Devils as President and General Manager in 1987. Throughout his tenure in New Jersey, the Devils went to the Stanley Cup Playoffs 21 times, posted 13, 100-point seasons, won nine division titles, went to the Stanley Cup Final five times and won the Stanley Cup in 1995, 2000 and 2003. The Devils also earned 13 consecutive post-season berths from 1997-2010.

Over the course of Lamoriello's tenure in New Jersey, the Devils posted a regular season record of 1,093-759-179-109 and a playoff record of 136-116. In 1995, New Jersey's American Hockey League affiliate, the Albany Devils, won the Calder Cup, marking the third time an NHL organization and their AHL franchise won both championships in the same season.

Lamoriello has compiled a lifetime regular-season record of 1,259-881-179-149 (W-LT-OT) and a lifetime Stanley Cup Playoffs record of 141-124. Lamoriello served as the Devils' Head Coach for 50 regular season games in 2005-06 (32-14-4) and the final three regular season games in 2006-07. The Devils qualified for the playoffs and reached the Eastern Conference Final in both seasons.

In 2009, Lamoriello received the highest honor there is in the sport of hockey as he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. In addition to his responsibilities with the Devils, Lamoriello was named vicechairman and CEO of the National Basketball Association's New Jersey Nets after the hockey team was purchased by YankeeNets. Following back-to-back appearances in the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003, Lamoriello relinquished his posts with the Nets when YankeeNets sold the basketball franchise to an independent owner in 2004.

Internationally, Lamoriello served as the General Manager for Team USA at the World Cup of Hockey in 1996. Team USA won the inaugural tournament championship, defeating Team Canada in a best-of-three final. He also served as General Manager for Team USA at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan. The Johnston, RI native was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012 and received the Lester Patrick Trophy in 1992 in recognition of his service to hockey in the United States.

Prior to his time in the NHL, Lamoriello spent two decades at Providence College, including 15 seasons as Head Coach. During his time behind the bench, the Friars posted a 248-179-13 record, qualified for 12 consecutive post-season tournament berths and had more players drafted into the NHL after entering college than any other college team during Lamoriello's last five years. He also served as the College's Athletic Director. Lamoriello was one of five founders of Hockey East Association and served as commissioner of the league from 1983-87. Since 1989, the winner of the Hockey East tournament has been awarded the Lamoriello Trophy. Lamoriello was inducted into the Providence College Athletic Hall of Fame in 1982.

As an athlete, he captained both the hockey and baseball teams at Providence. He later played baseball, coached and managed teams in the Cape Cod Baseball League and the Quebec Provincial League.

Lamoriello's numerous accolades include inductions into the Cape Cod Baseball League Hall of Fame in 2009, the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame in 2012, the Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame in 2004, the LaSalle Academy Hall of Fame in 2004, the Sports Hall of Fame of New Jersey in 2002 and he was named the recipient of Unico National's Vincent T. Lombardi Trophy in 2000 for professional sports achievement. He has also served on the board of directors of the Yogi Berra Museum since 2006 and has been a member of the board of Yankee Global Enterprises since 2004.
Puh-leez! There's at least 10 posters on this board who are better than Lou!

In their feeble minds, anyway....

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
ok, what movie is this line from? My Dad is a TV repairman, he has an awesome set of tools. He can fix it. That's how I feel Lou will do this month

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
This team missed the playoffs last season. They went into the off-season knowing they needed to make moves, and not enough cap space to bring in better players.

Trying to make cap space now for Kadri just reeks of desperation on Lou’s behalf. There are few prospects on the farm, and I’d say most predictions are 50/50 at best if this team even makes the playoffs. Not a lot to be excited about with a new building.

We can agree to disagree. I would not make moves just to make moves, risky moves in hopes of landing a stud that may or may not pay off.. I don't think we lost out on JG because we didn't dump players, and doing so now without having an upgrade signed, IMO would be a panic/risky move. . I believe this team is a playoff team as constituted now, I actually think everyone who finished above us in the conference will take a slight step back while teams below us are improving. Three straight years of making at least the 2nd round, followed by one down year with a lot of injuries and bad luck. We may not have been that good 2 and 3 years ago, but we are not as bad as we were last year. Are we a favorite, like oddsmakers had us prior to last season, I would say definitely not,. but our defense should be stronger, we have not lost anyone, and I expect some of our forwards to bounce back/improve. I don't think there is a potential player available now, maybe other than Kane, that takes us from playoff team to serious contender. I am on the fence with Kadri, while he is an upgrade short term, he will also cost additional cap space and years down the road when he is past his prime, for a guy that just had a career year.

I will be patient and see how this plays out. it is not over yet.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
We can agree to disagree. I would not make moves just to make moves, risky moves in hopes of landing a stud that may or may not pay off.. I don't think we lost out on JG because we didn't dump players, and doing so now without having an upgrade signed, IMO would be a panic/risky move. . I believe this team is a playoff team as constituted now, I actually think everyone who finished above us in the conference will take a slight step back while teams below us are improving. Three straight years of making at least the 2nd round, followed by one down year with a lot of injuries and bad luck. We may not have been that good 2 and 3 years ago, but we are not as bad as we were last year. Are we a favorite, like oddsmakers had us prior to last season, I would say definitely not,. but our defense should be stronger, we have not lost anyone, and I expect some of our forwards to bounce back/improve. I don't think there is a potential player available now, maybe other than Kane, that takes us from playoff team to serious contender. I am on the fence with Kadri, while he is an upgrade short term, he will also cost additional cap space and years down the road when he is past his prime, for a guy that just had a career year.

I’m agreeable to this, and it’s certainly worth noting that Tampa got worse, Florida might have gotten worse as well despite the big franchise-altering move they made, the Rangers probably also got worse through the inevitable departure of their deadline acquisitions? The most interesting teams weren’t in the playoffs this year and who knows what’ll happen with them. Swapping Greene/Chara with Romanov/Salo is easily an upgrade on the position we were weakest in last year.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
If we do acquire Kadri, how long before we start hearing that we need to get better wings to play with him, especially if he doesn't get off to a 100 point pace (he had some pretty good line mates combos last year).

:DD

• Haha
Reactions: Throttle and Mike C

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I don’t think it’s that difficult to be a playoff team in the NHL. I think we’re a wild card team without Kadri, just by having an entirely healthy team and none of last year’s extraneous events. As for the teams ahead of us taking a step back? Well I wish I could share your optimism. Plus we will be pressured from below us by Columbus and Ottawa.

If we do acquire Kadri, how long before we start hearing that we need to get better wings to play with him, especially if he doesn't get off to a 100 point pace (he had some pretty good line mates combos last year).

:DD
If he has no goals in training camp? Before the home opener.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I do have such mixed feelings about trading Beau and Bailey, both are players I really like, and am well aware that they have strong bonds with others on this team. Yes, they have not lived up to their contract values last year but they were both strong contributors in the last two playoffs. Definitely, Kadri is a better all-around skilled player than both and more battle ready. With Beau, I would have loved to see him stay and prove himself more, but at the same time, Isles needs more muscle and beast mode upfront as other teams around Metro have all got bigger upfront with their skilled players, except maybe the Canes and Pens. The combination of speed/skill is very important in the playoff. Beau is an exciting player to watch when he is on his game but his size at times seems a bit of a disadvantage, especially when he is near the boards. He is fast but he is not always getting that breakaway pass. Maybe the problem is passing from the back end/center or his ability to knock down long passes? He is not strong enough to fight through checks so he needs those amazing homerun passes and he needs to get his shot away faster so the goalies can't stop them.

This is the year I would like to see the coach give Barzal the same wingers for at least 10 consecutive games to develop chemistry, It is not easy to play with Barzy as he can be all over the ice and his wingmen need to get familiar with the way he plays to make things work.

Last edited:

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
No matter what Lou does, hope there will be some good news within the next week. I am especially interested in knowing about Dob's deal more than any other ones, including UFA signing and trades. To me, he is the key building block in this franchise going forward.

Reactions: Olliemets and JKP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad