Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
How is Laine a low risk when 2 yrs at 8.7M? Do you want a head case on this team? Winnipeg got rid of him, now Columbus wants him out and he's only 26....He has too many red flags.

I agree with this in theory, but you are hoping his current stint in the NHL Player Assistance Program gets his life turned around. If not then yes he will probably be the kind of guy who winds up being shipped to a bunch of teams throughout his career - If not be out of the NHL within the next 3-5 years.

So whatever team acquires him will have 2 seasons to figure out if he has turned his life/career around. If he has well then you are looking at a player no joke who can score like Auston Matthews (and he will want to be paid like him). If Laine is still a distraction then you let him walk in 2 years (and maybe even trade him at the 2026 trade deadline to get something small/decent for him.

Add it all up and this is why you can take a calculated risk on him, but don't give up the farm. I'm quite sure Columbus is going to have to retain 25-50% of his salary to get something of value in a deal. If they do you can be sure there will be a handful of teams in on him and Lou is going to have to probably give up the 24 1st, Wahlstrom, and someone like Pageau to make the Isles cap work (also why they'll need to add the 1st).

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What happens when Wally outscores Laine?

I’d rather use Wally as a toss in a sure thing deal vs the wild card one. Has the same sell.

Joker not sure if serious | Macro of ...

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
This genuinely takes the cake as the worst post for the islanders sub, and it takes a lot to win that honor
Wally’s brain dead on the ice and three coaches have no use for him for that very reason.

I agree with this in theory, but you are hoping his current stint in the NHL Player Assistance Program gets his life turned around. If not then yes he will probably be the kind of guy who winds up being shipped to a bunch of teams throughout his career - If not be out of the NHL within the next 3-5 years.

So whatever team acquires him will have 2 seasons to figure out if he has turned his life/career around. If he has well then you are looking at a player no joke who can score like Auston Matthews (and he will want to be paid like him). If Laine is still a distraction then you let him walk in 2 years (and maybe even trade him at the 2026 trade deadline to get something small/decent for him.

Add it all up and this is why you can take a calculated risk on him, but don't give up the farm. I'm quite sure Columbus is going to have to retain 25-50% of his salary to get something of value in a deal. If they do you can be sure there will be a handful of teams in on him and Lou is going to have to probably give up the 24 1st, Wahlstrom, and someone like Pageau to make the Isles cap work (also why they'll need to add the 1st).
On the NHL radio the other day, they said there is some well known graphic that shows he mainly scored all his goals in the same area while in WPG and was useless every else.

Reactions: WangMustGo

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Wally’s brain dead on the ice and three coaches have no use for him for that very reason.

On the NHL radio the other day, they said there is some well known graphic that shows he mainly scored all his goals in the same area while in WPG and was useless every else.

Of all the Kabanovs, Isbisters, Kvashas, and Ho-Sangs that have graced this team over the years, Wahlstrom might be the most frustrating. Dude could be a 40-goal scorer, but his hockey sense is 100 times worse than Griffin Reinhart's skating. What a waste of the #11 overall pick.

Of all the 1sts Lou has dealt since then, he couldn't deal that one? Sheesh.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Of all the Kabanovs, Isbisters, Kvashas, and Ho-Sangs that have graced this team over the years, Wahlstrom might be the most frustrating. Dude could be a 40-goal scorer, but his hockey sense is 100 times worse than Griffin Reinhart's skating. What a waste of the #11 overall pick.

Wahlstrom is such an interesting (and frustrating) case. There is nothing talent wise than explains his lack of production. It is all in his head.

Reactions: Osakahaus and Lek

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Having a team "built for the playoffs" that has trouble making the playoffs isn't working.

Pinning things on hopes and prayers that we get hot at the right time and go on a miracle Blues run has only resulted in watching our "battle tested core" continue to come up short when it matters most and get another year older.
We 100% need to get away from this. We aren’t that team anymore. We were last in PK% with a roster full of supposed grinders who used to be tough to play against 4 years ago.

Well, we’ll find out whether the Isles are saddled with $8M+ version of Jim Campbell/Jake Allen so it may be all futile in the end.
There’s still time to get away from it! If someone out there wants to take that gamble, I say let them. I’d rather spend the money elsewhere.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Or used it to draft Romanov, who was taken in the second round of that draft. Would've killed two birds with one stone for ya. Just, Imagine that...

We could be talking about coming away with two first round talents in Dobson and Romanov... instead of the Isles wasting a first round pick on a non-first round talent in Romanov.

Oh, the paradox of it all! :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Or used it to draft Romanov, who was taken in the second round of that draft. Would've killed two birds with one stone for ya. Just, Imagine that...

We could be talking about coming away with two first round talents in Dobson and Romanov... instead of the Isles waisting a first round pick on a non-first round talent in Romanov.

Oh, the paradox of it all! :sarcasm:
The best (and worst) part of that whole thing is the Isles actually drafted Wally before Dobson…

They were either 100% in their minds picking both of them or picked Wally 11OV on maybe the chance someone wanted to make a trade for the 12OV (Dobson).

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
They’re all Long shots. But he’s only 19 and he only got a handful of TOI. When he plays with his peers his own age he always shines.

Didn’t even know that. WOW.

Pageau + Engvall lol
It was headline news, not when it happened, but somebody said something pretty off-putting about it on Twitter and Laine actually responded, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong though....

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Having a team "built for the playoffs" that has trouble making the playoffs isn't working.

Pinning things on hopes and prayers that we get hot at the right time and go on a miracle Blues run has only resulted in watching our "battle tested core" continue to come up short when it matters most and get another year older.
I don't really get the 'have trouble making the playoffs' line. I get that you want a spot clinched by December, but we finished 1st wildcard last year and 3rd in the metro this year. Frankly, it may feel like sneaking in to you, but we haven't even been the last seed when we've made it.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Does anybody think we don't make the playoffs if Wally had played and we never signed Engvall to that deal? I'm asking honestly because I feel like I have PTSD. I literally don't remember anything about this season before giving up 2 goals in seconds to lose to Carolina in the playoffs. Everything before that, it's literally gone.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Wahlstrom is just a very meh player IMO. He lost his shot. Now its time for other guys to take charge.

the same case can be said for Kayliev.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Wahlstrom is just a very meh player IMO. He lost his shot. Now its time for other guys to take charge.

the same case can be said for Kayliev.

Ok, then how about we trade his rights for Kaliyev's?

Maybe they just both need a change of scenary? And Kaliyev is from nearby Staten Island, so that could be a nice sidestory, right?

Or let's look at Pelletier in Calgary or Soderstrom in Utah or Berggren in Detroit?

Or perhaps dive a bit deeper and see if a Ryan Suzuki or Emil Heineman might just become something under other circumstances...

There are a number of Wahlstrom situations (or similar) out there.

Why don't we as a fanbase get to see this type of thing from this management group?

I'll tell what we do get to see...

Dal Colle whithers away into nothing.
Ho-Sang whithers away into nothing.
Wilde whithers away into nothing.
Bellows gets claimed off waivers while whithering away into nothing.
Salo whithers away into nothing.

Soon Wahlstrom and maybe/likely Bolduc too?

Prolly Iskhakov and Koivula shortly thereafter, right?

Be this due to drafting, due to development, due to stubbornness to trade while value is there...

Regardless, it's the pattern the fanbase gets to see.

Reactions: MJF and Ishkabible

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Ok, then how about we trade his rights for Kaliyev's?

Maybe they just both need a change of scenary? And Kaliyev is from nearby Staten Island, so that could be a nice sidestory, right?

Or let's look at Pelletier in Calgary or Soderstrom in Utah or Berggren in Detroit?

Or perhaps dive a bit deeper and see if a Ryan Suzuki or Emil Heineman might just become something under other circumstances...

There are a number of Wahlstrom situations (or similar) out there.

Why don't we as a fanbase get to see this type of thing from this management group?

I'll tell what we do get to see...

Dal Colle whithers away into nothing.
Ho-Sang whithers away into nothing.
Wilde whithers away into nothing.
Bellows gets claimed off waivers while whithering away into nothing.
Salo whithers away into nothing.

Soon Wahlstrom and maybe/likely Bolduc too?

Prolly Iskhakov and Koivula shortly thereafter, right?

Be this due to drafting, due to development, due to stubbornness to trade while value is there...

Regardless, it's the pattern the fanbase gets to see.

How is it NOT "due to drafting?" It's clear as day that none of those 5 players were ever going to make it and thus should've been drafted.

Legit/good NHL players (and professional athletes anywhere) usually have success because they are gifted physically, smart, and work hard. Sure a certain coach or teammate can help them be even better, but those who make it would almost certainly prove that they belong in the big leagues on any team they play for.

Dal Colle, Ho-Sang, Wilde, Bellows, and Salo (among Griffin Reinhart and too many others) were never going to make it in the NHL no matter where they played because they didn't have some combination of ability, smarts, and/or worth ethic...And our scouting department needs to do a much better job of identifying these DOA prospects before they waste picks on them.

In fact I'd argue we've seen enough evidence and many in the scouting department should be replaced.

Last edited:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You list all those guys, but fail to remark on the lumbering meat-head whose shot was every bit as fearsome as Wahlstroms's: #2 overall Dave Chyzowski.

Also, judgments on Kvasha were often harsh because of the trade. He was a decent player. And what a looker.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
You list all those guys, but fail to remark on the lumbering meat-head whose shot was every bit as fearsome as Wahlstroms's: #2 overall Dave Chyzowski.

Also, judgments on Kvasha were often harsh because of the trade. He was a decent player. And what a looker.

Man, Dave Chyzowski... I still dislike the Kamloop Blazers because of him, what an epic bust.

Other than hitting the lotto with Bossy on drafting one-dimensional goal scorers, the Isles have failed repeatedly at drafting that type of player. Maybe one day or just bypass those types altogether.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Man, Dave Chyzowski... I still dislike the Kamloop Blazers because of him, what an epic bust.

Other than hitting the lotto with Bossy on drafting one-dimensional goal scorers, the Isles have failed repeatedly at drafting that type of player. Maybe one day or just bypass those types altogether.

There really aren't that many who qualify as just a goal scorer these days anyhow. Heck, Dal Colle is already 10 years ago and imagine if the 1st round went better when we took Sorokin in the 3rd and Toews in the 4th?

Heck, if they were our top picks and Dal Colle was 3rd round and Ho-Sang 4th round, we'd be crowing for years about how great a draft it was! Perceptions are pretty funny at times.

Nylander, Kempe, Sorokin and Toews were possible as a draft haul in 2014. Kempe right after Josh and Nylander 4 behind Dal Colle.

The Hockey Gods giveth and taketh equally . . .

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't really get the 'have trouble making the playoffs' line. I get that you want a spot clinched by December, but we finished 1st wildcard last year and 3rd in the metro this year. Frankly, it may feel like sneaking in to you, but we haven't even been the last seed when we've made it.
I want a playoff spot locked up by Thanksgiving :sarcasm:

The idea is that the Isles shouldn't have to be playing playoff intensity in February. By the end of March I would like to see the team comfortably out of wild card territory. This way every game down the stretch is not a must win, and the coach can start managing ice time, resting our players when needed, and giving a more balanced workload to the goalies. Mat Barzal said as much about not having to play balls to the wall down the stretch on cleanout day.

Reactions: BelovedIsles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad