Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Until the Islanders prioritize not staggering into the playoffs, using the postseason as a measuring stick is a waste of time.
Well, we’ll find out whether the Isles are saddled with $8M+ version of Jim Campbell/Jake Allen so it may be all futile in the end.

Reactions: stranger34

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Good point.

I meant player assistance program.
Winnipeg still keeps a pretty close watch on Laine overall. He was very popular here and ironically his best friend is Ehlers. It's pretty well accepted or strongly believed anyway that his issue is depression. He also had trouble fitting into the locker room here in Winnipeg - and those that follow the Jets know with some confidence that it was a toxic room and he wasn't the only player that had that problem. So few here blame him for wanting new scenery.

I'd absolutely take a chance on him though. He'd be an instant PP mover, and a good option to play with Barzal. He's got good speed, just not 'quick'. He inconsistent with the defensive side, but to be fair, I'm not sure he's been taught properly. Could he fit with Roy? Maybe not 10 years ago, but I think Roy may be just the type of coach now that could help Laine.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That strategy works to a Tee when there is a split or abbreviated season. Let's pin our hat on COVID-24 for an Isles Stanley Cup run
Maybe we can have a lockout with a 48 game sprint.. Divisional opponents only, minimal travel. Yeah, that’s the ticket!

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I’m not talking or comparing Debrusk.

Ehlers isn’t moving the needle for the Isles. He’s already proven he can’t deliver in the playoffs. That’s the proving ground right there. Otherwise, another shiny toy. The isles don’t need another one of those.
A guy who has better per82's than every forward on our team not named Barzal isn't moving the needle...

Um, ok.

We can agree to disagree. Again you are the same person who defends Kyle Palmieri repeatedly because of his "playoff attributes" which ironically enough also plagued him in a long playoff run early in his career. He had a 16-game postseason run with Anaheim, before he became a Devil where he mustered a single goal and only 4 points, three less than Ehler's 21-year old debut. He has since delivered 10 goals in 30 Islander playoff games.....but Ehlers couldn't follow that... because???

Sorry, but it just doesn't hold much water. Again 4 goals and 7 points in 16 games in his last 4 playoff runs (he was injured in one of those) is too small a sample size to put that label on him IMO.

An actual 60-point plus wing playing on a top line with Barzal and Horvat (who wasnt even a 60-point producer when we got him, but rather a 27/29/56 guy) would simply make too much sense, something Barzal hasn't even sniffed with the likes of Lee, Palms (who were never 60-point guys) and the rest of the jokers who have lined up with him.

Your every third post of Barzal-bashing would be at risk and we cant have that lol

Last edited:

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Why would Chicago want him if he's so toxic s you claim? You wouldn't want him around all your kids, right? We've already shown with Lehner we know how to handle this issue as an organization.

Marner? What the hell can we offer to Toronto that would move the needle for them?

For 1 thing they have so many prospects and draft picks that they can’t possibly sign them all. They have more cap space than they know what to do with. They can take the risk and if it blows up in there face it doesn’t matter, their best players are all so young they won’t be competing for anything in the next year or two.

Pulock or Romanov ++. Not sure it’s enough, but Marner is actually a talented player that can change the dynamic of the team that doesn’t come with a ton of baggage.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Winnipeg still keeps a pretty close watch on Laine overall. He was very popular here and ironically his best friend is Ehlers. It's pretty well accepted or strongly believed anyway that his issue is depression. He also had trouble fitting into the locker room here in Winnipeg - and those that follow the Jets know with some confidence that it was a toxic room and he wasn't the only player that had that problem. So few here blame him for wanting new scenery.

I'd absolutely take a chance on him though. He'd be an instant PP mover, and a good option to play with Barzal. He's got good speed, just not 'quick'. He inconsistent with the defensive side, but to be fair, I'm not sure he's been taught properly. Could he fit with Roy? Maybe not 10 years ago, but I think Roy may be just the type of coach now that could help Laine.
The depression makes sense. Mental health/physical health are not two exclusive domains. (I'm not saying anyone said they were). Concussions, post-surgical pain, bereavement, and COVID are all *known* contributors to depression. Laine dealt with all of those. Any person with some susceptibility to depression (a whole lot of us) who went through what Laine went through would almost certainly experience some depression. I wouldn't worry about the depression by itself, but I'd worry about in the context of other things - chronic pain, concussion susceptibility, etc.

Going after Laine would be a big risk big reward type deal. I don't really see the point of CBJ taking back a big contract. And if I were NYI and I wanted to take a shot on Laine, I would not want to deal Anders Lee. Lee would be the guy I'd count on to help make it work. I can think of a few others to deal.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
View attachment 881876
View attachment 881877

DeBrusk is a more attractive asset from the playoff perspective in my opinion.

IMG_0598.jpeg

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Laine seems like a potential opportunity. Certainly risk involved, but when you consider the Isles' record in signing UFAs and look at the needs we have on the wing and the PP, a guy like Laine could solve a lot of problems. And the cost of acquisition could be relatively cheap relative to the potential reward (it may be possible to acquire him without sacrificing significant futures).

Note also that the announcement was that the team and Laine's camp mutually agreed to try to work out a trade. CBJ will try to come out of this not retaining salary and getting something of value back - whether it's players at up to Laine's cap hit, and/or cap space. To the extent that Laine and his agent influence the destination, this could be a case where being the Isles could actually be an advantage. He might prefer not being in a pressure cooker environment, and the rep the team has of being "a good bunch of guys" and the great season Lehner had here might also be positives.

Someone posted that Laine and Ehlers were best friends in WPG? Get both of them!

Last edited:

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
BTW, if the Isles deal for Laine you have to figure Wahlstrom would HAVE to be part of the deal. Makes too much sense. Even from a CBJ perspective it provides them some PR "cover" that they're getting back a former 1st round pick who was a RH shot sniper. "He could be better than Laine!".

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Show me how you said the same thing about Lehner when we signed him. Same exact profile.

Amazing how many people here:
a: We need to add HIGH END LEVEL Talent
b: Oh no, not him, he's got a flaw

High end talent is NOT available if they check all the boxes. I've NEVER heard a teammate complain about him. This is the NHL, not Mother Teresa's league.

My proposal would be Laine and Bean for Pageau, Mayfield and Wally
There's a big difference in taking a chance on a troubled player making over 8M per year and Lehner who we got for peanuts (salary wise).

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
How is Laine a low risk when 2 yrs at 8.7M? Do you want a head case on this team? Winnipeg got rid of him, now Columbus wants him out and he's only 26....He has too many red flags.

I imagine the ‘low risk’ is that it is a two year commitment. If you sign a UFA, it’s going to be a 5-7 year commitment.

Columbus would have to retain significantly for me to consider it, but I don’t get paid to make those decisions.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
How is Laine a low risk when 2 yrs at 8.7M? Do you want a head case on this team? Winnipeg got rid of him, now Columbus wants him out and he's only 26....He has too many red flags.

This term gets thrown around far too often.

I read 'head case' as a wacko who disrupts the locker room or does some stupid shit on the ice resulting in bad penalties, fights, misconducts, suspensions - like an Avery, DeAngelo, Carcillo, Torres.

I don't think it is fair to throw Laine in with that crowd.

I definitely agree that he cannot be called a 'low risk' investment, because he very well could never play again and cost 8.7mm against the cap. He should be viewed as a 'buy-low' candidate where the cost to acquire a talent like Laine is extremely low.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This term gets thrown around far too often.

I read 'head case' as a wacko who disrupts the locker room or does some stupid shit on the ice resulting in bad penalties, fights, misconducts, suspensions - like an Avery, DeAngelo, Carcillo, Torres.

I don't think it is fair to throw Laine in with that crowd.

I definitely agree that he cannot be called a 'low risk' investment, because he very well could never play again and cost 8.7mm against the cap. He should be viewed as a 'buy-low' candidate where the cost to acquire a talent like Laine is extremely low.
Laine is less of a head case and more of a really big introvert tbh

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Laine, if he can focus on his game, instantly becomes the most talented forward on our roster. The kind of high end talent that has yet to sign here as a UFA.

If the Blue Jackets retain salary so we could get Laine at under $3M I would take a chance on him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Laine, if he can focus on his game, instantly becomes the most talented forward on our roster. The kind of high end talent that has yet to sign here as a UFA.

If the Blue Jackets retain salary so we could get Laine at under $3M I would take a chance on him.

Teams can't retain more than 50% on a contract so a third team would need to be involved to eat part of that salary to get it low. $4.35M is the lowest it can get without that.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
If JGP and Wahlstrom went the other way in a deal, you get Laine for $3M. Kinda.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'd take Laine at 20% retained (6.96M per). Surely he's capable of being worth that to the Islanders if they are willing to pay Lee 7M per.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
BTW, if the Isles deal for Laine you have to figure Wahlstrom would HAVE to be part of the deal. Makes too much sense. Even from a CBJ perspective it provides them some PR "cover" that they're getting back a former 1st round pick who was a RH shot sniper. "He could be better than Laine!".

If Wahlstrom is in the deal, then I'm all for Laine. I'd rather pay 8M for Laine than minimum wage for a guy who literally has no hockey sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad