Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He's a risk but if the price is right it's a risk worth taking. He's 26 and can score goals, something this team needs more of. I trust the veterans on this team to help him out with whatever off ice struggles he's had in the past.
Laine as a whole just feels so inconsistent. Dude has all the tools yet he cant piece together a solid season post 2020.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Sure none of those guys should be getting a contract at all though in my opinion. Would not mind if Clutterbuck got a 1 year deal at league minimum but the money should be used elsewhere. I agree with you.

Amen brother. I'd finally like to have a team that spends 4th line money on the 4th line...And shifts the savings towards improving the 1st line.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Laine as a whole just feels so inconsistent. Dude has all the tools yet he cant piece together a solid season post 2020.

He's incredibly inconsistent, that's why he's available. These are the types of players that can be acquired for cheap that can rebound and are worth the risk. There was a time when Ryan O'Reilly was damaged goods and people didn't want him, then he helped lead the Blues to a cup. Sometimes you have to take a chance on these types of players.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
He's a risk but if the price is right it's a risk worth taking. He's 26 and can score goals, something this team needs more of. I trust the veterans on this team to help him out with whatever off ice struggles he's had in the past.

Are these the same "veterans" who have been mentoring Wahlstrom the last few years?

Sometimes a player is just a mess no matter what you surround him with. To this point Laine's mental game has been closer to Ho-Sang's than Horvat's. The dude could literally lead the league in goals any year if his head was in the game. He's currently in the NHL Player Assistance Program so I do sincerely hope he's getting his life together, but it would be absolutely insane for any team to pay this guy 8.7 million/year, much less give up something of value in a trade, with zero proof that he's over whatever issues that have been plaguing him. The Blue Jackets have to eat some salary in any deal, but I think it's all for moot because the chance of them trading him within the division only to watch him potentially score 40+ goals a year is something I don't think there even dumb enough to do.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

54G/60A in his last 129 games

Feelings aren't facts

Laine and Bean for Pageau, Mayfield and Wahlstrom

He's incredibly inconsistent, that's why he's available. These are the types of players that can be acquired for cheap that can rebound and are worth the risk. There was a time when Ryan O'Reilly was damaged goods and people didn't want him, then he helped lead the Blues to a cup. Sometimes you have to take a chance on these types of players.
Brock Boeser labeled the same way

Ekman-Larsson sucked

On and on and on with the false narratives

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Are these the same "veterans" who have been mentoring Wahlstrom the last few years?

I don't think Wahlstrom has off ice issues, does he?

Sometimes a play is just a mess no matter what you surround him with. To this point Laine's mental game has been closer to Ho-Sang's than Horvat's. The dude could literally lead the league in goals any year if his head was in the game. He's currently in the NHL Player Assistance Program so I do sincerely hope he's getting his life together, but it would be absolutely insane for any team to pay this guy 8.7 million/year, much less give up something of value in a trade, with zero proof that he's over whatever issues that have been plaguing him. The Blue Jackets have to eat some salary in any deal, but I think it's all for moot because the chance of them trading him within the division only to watch him potentially score 40+ goals a year is something I don't think there even dumb enough to do.

It all depends on the cost to acquire. I'm not saying pay an asset and take on his $8.7M. If he's suffering from addiction or something else similar, then yes, I do think this is a good roster to be around. For as inconsistent as this team has been over the past decade there's only been one player who had any off ice issues that I can recall and it was Ho-Sang, and that was just him not wanting to play the way he was told because of his personality.

Brock Boeser labeled the same way

Ekman-Larsson sucked

On and on and on with the false narratives

Yep. Remember when Bobrovsky was washed up? Things change quickly in this league and sometimes you need to take a chance to get a steal of a deal.

Reactions: leeroggy

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

To me Laine seems like a guy just here for the paycheck. Doesn’t care about winning a cup and lacks effort. Without his shot he is playing in Europe.

I’d also pass on Debrusk. The guy is a glorified 3rd liner. The last thing we need to do is overpay for another average player.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't think Wahlstrom has off ice issues, does he?

It all depends on the cost to acquire. I'm not saying pay an asset and take on his $8.7M. If he's suffering from addiction or something else similar, then yes, I do think this is a good roster to be around. For as inconsistent as this team has been over the past decade there's only been one player who had any off ice issues that I can recall and it was Ho-Sang, and that was just him not wanting to play the way he was told because of his personality.

Yep. Remember when Bobrovsky was washed up? Things change quickly in this league and sometimes you need to take a chance to get a steal of a deal.

Bobrovsky was ON THE BENCH just a few months ago :laugh:

So many here want perfection and no possibility of failure and then wonder why no trade happens

Reactions: Potvottier

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
To me Laine seems like a guy just here for the paycheck. Doesn’t care about winning a cup and lacks effort. Without his shot he is playing in Europe.

I’d also pass on Debrusk. The guy is a glorified 3rd liner. The last thing we need to do is overpay for another average player.
Seems
Feels
Thought
My Opinion

114 points in 129 games in COLUMBUS is not gliding for a paycheck
He's been asked for a lot and he had an organization that kept losing solid players and were run by a GM that lots of the posters here were highly critical of, but he's the reason?
And he's still only 26 and is the perfect winger for Barzal and Horvat

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Figure out the additions but a Pageau for Laine basis in terms of salary makes sense. What comes after is beyond me. Wouldn't mind retention and picking up Mathieu Olivier too.

I think Laine played well with a righty passing to him on his other wing.

Laine-Horvat-Barzal
Lee-Nelson-Palms
Russian kid-Cizikas-Engvall
Iskhakov-Mclean-Olivier
Fasching/Holmstrom

Sign Reilly to a 2-3 deal for 1-1.5 million and round it out.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Winning organizations like Vegas would easily take a shot on Laine. The Isles should as well.

I think what you're suggesting is that winning organizations take big swings, but still you have to judge each situation case by case. Sure Vegas has landed some massive fish in Stone, Eichel, and Pietrangelo, but they haven't traded for a player in the NHL Player Assistance Program, so you cannot honestly say with 100% confidence that they would take on Laine right now.

Winning organizations just win, but the way there get there is always unique as every player is unique. Laine could make a comeback and become a top goal scorer in the league, or it's also possible his best days are already behind him. It's the job of a winning organization to figure out which was Laine will go and make the correct move based on that assessment. And since we as fans don't have anywhere close to the information neccessary to make that determination you also can't say that the Isles should "easily" take a shot on Laine.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Seems
Feels
Thought
My Opinion

114 points in 129 games in COLUMBUS is not gliding for a paycheck
He's been asked for a lot and he had an organization that kept losing solid players and were run by a GM that lots of the posters here were highly critical of, but he's the reason?
And he's still only 26 and is the perfect winger for Barzal and Horvat

Not joking when I say that 114 points in 129 games is actually lackluster compared to what Laine could be. This is a guy who, if playing up to his potential, should be in the Rocket Richard race every single season along with Matthews.

However it's obvious he's had, and still has, some mental issues that he has to deal with, so until it's proven he's over them (if that even happens) I fail to see how he would be the "perfect winger" for any team right now. I mean if he's perfect what would Draisaitl be (and he actually makes LESS than Laine)?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Not joking when I say that 114 points in 129 games is actually lackluster compared to what Laine could be. This is a guy who, if playing up to his potential, should be in the Rocket Richard race every single season along with Matthews.

However it's obvious he's had, and still has, some mental issues that he has to deal with, so until it's proven he's over them (if that even happens) I fail to see how he would be the "perfect winger" for any team right now. I mean if he's perfect what would Draisaitl be (and he actually makes LESS than Laine)?

Draisaitl isn't available so what's the point?

Laine is

If you wait until he's proven anything, you won't find him available.

And you're the one most tied to acquiring high end talent here.

Sorry, but your way would mean T-bills returns when we need an Nvidia. At some point, you need to take a risk.

This is a much better one becuase he is only signed for next year and one more. Easier to correct the mistake, and besides, you're also the one most against long term contracts. You've become too risk adverse my friend!

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Most of the Ehlers "struggling in the postseason argument" is a little skewed by his debut in the postseason as a 21-year old where he went scoreless in 15 games.

He certainly hasn't been on DeBrusks' level, but not as bad as peeps are making it out to be either...

It is still a 60-point (per 82) performer compared to someone who isn't even a 50-point performer in the regular season.

Hell, even DeBrusk's obviously superior postseason numbers (27-20-47 in 86 career games) are BELOW (45 points per 82) his rather meek regular season numbers (47 per 82)....

Ehlers for me, unless we can get DeBrusk for 5/30 or so (which isn't happening)
Well, that’s just rationalizing your narrative. A guy with 4Gs in 22 playoff games is still an issue. Maybe that’s why WPG wants to move on? He’s not delivering in the games it matters most.

Reactions: Potvottier

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’d be interested in any of the names being thrown around—Marner, Ehlers, Laine. They upgrade the forward talent on a team that sorely lacks top-end talent.

Re: Laine, I would hope NYI thoroughly investigates what he has going on and if it’s recurring/manageable (MH barriers often are both). That said, the idea of Barzal feeding him the puck is a tantalizing one.

Reactions: leeroggy

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Isles took a flyer on Robin Lehner. That turned out OK. Laine may be a similar case study.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
There hasn’t been an official announcement for some reason but there’s word that we Signed Jesse Nurmi to his ELC and he plans to come over this year. He will surely start out in the AHL but it’s nice to have him come over. Hes one of those under the radar guys that could definitely develop into an NHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad